Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anybody got a Ford F150 with ecoboost engine?

Syph007 · 109 · 3702

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Anybody got a Ford F150 with ecoboost engine?
Reply #60 on: September 03, 2017, 03:58:08 PM
Cant beat that.   :like:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Wallace72

Reply #61 on: September 03, 2017, 06:12:44 PM
It's my understanding that the 2.7 twin scroll is estimated to be slightly more reliable than the 3.5. It also has an iron block where the 3.5 has an aluminum block. My father has the 2.7 and it is insanely quick even if it has a bit of lag.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #62 on: September 04, 2017, 01:00:58 AM
I wish I had a backup camera in my Jeep.  I had one on a van the dealership loaned me once when my Jeep was being serviced and I found it invaluable for hitching up a trailer, which made me wish even more that I had one!

Of course with pick up boxes as high as they are nowadays you really do need them.

Just as an aside, I think Canadian Law will require ALL new vehicles in (I think) 2018 to have reverse cameras for safety as we have apparently backed over too many small children in recent years.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #63 on: September 04, 2017, 02:22:59 AM
I wish I had a backup camera in my Jeep.  I had one on a van the dealership loaned me once when my Jeep was being serviced and I found it invaluable for hitching up a trailer, which made me wish even more that I had one!

Of course with pick up boxes as high as they are nowadays you really do need them.

Just as an aside, I think Canadian Law will require ALL new vehicles in (I think) 2018 to have reverse cameras for safety as we have apparently backed over too many small children in recent years.

Def

You can pick up a wifi one pretty cheap now, and wiring one up in Wrangler should be easy too.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #64 on: September 04, 2017, 02:38:56 AM
My original intent was to get the UConnect stereo with the screen so I could just get a camera (or take one off a car in the junk yard) with the same stereo and plug it in.

As it turns out, unless the stereo comes with a camera attached you can't add a camera to it- there is a slight difference between a UConnect 430 with a camera and a UConnect 430 without one.   :facepalm:

That having been said, yes, there are a lot of aftermarket solutions but many (especially the wireless ones) take power from the reverse lights, which are off center on a Jeep and that means you really only get one side of the back of your car.   :facepalm:

I am looking for a decent dual camera dash cam and I'll put on in the back window as a back up camera and the other in the front as a dash cam.  There's lots of space to run wires along the rollbar covers.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #65 on: September 04, 2017, 03:42:05 AM
Heh, sneaky smurfs. I just remembered your license plate is off center too so can't use those license plate mounted ones.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #66 on: September 04, 2017, 04:50:35 PM
The beds of the pickups are definitely higher than I remember my Dad's was in the 80s.  Mine has pretty big wheels and tires (20 inch wheels, 33 inch tires) though too, and the suspension seems really jacked up which Im assuming is because you can put 3000 lbs in the bed.  I doubt I'll ever had a need to though.  My last load to the dump was only 600 lbs (according to dump scale) when I cleaned out the garage of junk.

When I first started driving the truck it definitely felt big. Im used to it now though and to me all the other cars are just too small.  In the Tims drive through my front hood is higher than the tops of most cars in front of me.  Its great for helping to suggest people move on over on the highway.  I really like that.  Should be even better when I get the mad max road warrior style front grill cage.  lol

The only con so far is one I already know about which is twice the cost of gas vs civic, but I still wouldnt trade my new beast for anything else.  Tank is 136 litres and on the highway that would do well over 1000km, but since Im doing 90% city Im calculating about 700km per tank.  I havent gone through a whole tank yet, just the top 1/4 and Ive gone 250km or so.

And the nicest side benefit for me has been space.  I have over 6 inches of space above my head to the ceiling and 3 inches from my knee to the under dash area.  Every other car Ive own my knee is touching that part with the seat all the way back.  So for being a big person, Im really appreciating that.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #67 on: September 04, 2017, 04:54:10 PM
The beds of the pickups are definitely higher than I remember my Dad's was in the 80s.  Mine has pretty big wheels and tires (20 inch wheels, 33 inch tires) though too, and the suspension seems really jacked up which Im assuming is because you can put 3000 lbs in the bed.  I doubt I'll ever had a need to though.  My last load to the dump was only 600 lbs (according to dump scale) when I cleaned out the garage of junk.

When I first started driving the truck it definitely felt big. Im used to it now though and to me all the other cars are just too small.  In the Tims drive through my front hood is higher than the tops of most cars in front of me.  Its great for helping to suggest people move on over on the highway.  I really like that.  Should be even better when I get the mad max road warrior style front grill cage.  lol

The only con so far is one I already know about which is twice the cost of gas vs civic, but I still wouldnt trade my new beast for anything else.  Tank is 136 litres and on the highway that would do well over 1000km, but since Im doing 90% city Im calculating about 700km per tank.  I havent gone through a whole tank yet, just the top 1/4 and Ive gone 250km or so.

And the nicest side benefit for me has been space.  I have over 6 inches of space above my head to the ceiling and 3 inches from my knee to the under dash area.  Every other car Ive own my knee is touching that part with the seat all the way back.  So for being a big person, Im really appreciating that.
136 litres? That seems big enough to fit someone inside, lol.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #68 on: September 04, 2017, 04:55:25 PM

It would probably smell bad though.  I doubt I'll get into human smuggling.   :rofl:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #69 on: September 04, 2017, 04:58:28 PM

It would probably smell bad though.  I doubt I'll get into human smuggling.   :rofl:
At least the capability is already there.  :D
Call it a feature, in the same way that all the tool companies call the keyring/lanyard hole a tool.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #70 on: September 07, 2017, 01:28:12 PM
I have an 80L tank in my Jeep and when traveling across country I get (supposedly) about 670kms from full.  In town I'm lucky to get around 500kms.  When traveling long distances I tend to fill up when I get to half a tank or so, usually because I also need to go to the washroom- I can't imagine only using the top 1/4 of a tank and topping up!  :D

I'm glad to hear the truck is working out or you- I am quite fond of the current F-150 (and others) and wouldn't mind one myself, but my Jeep is already far too big for our tine parking lot!

Def

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: September 07, 2017, 01:36:42 PM
I have an 80L tank in my Jeep and when traveling across country I get (supposedly) about 670kms from full.  In town I'm lucky to get around 500kms.  When traveling long distances I tend to fill up when I get to half a tank or so, usually because I also need to go to the washroom- I can't imagine only using the top 1/4 of a tank and topping up!  :D

I'm glad to hear the truck is working out or you- I am quite fond of the current F-150 (and others) and wouldn't mind one myself, but my Jeep is already far too big for our tine parking lot!

Def
Is it loaded up heavily?

My company's Ford van also has an 80L tank, but I tend to get an average off 780-800km from it while driving from town to town and some highways.

And it's not even ecoboost?? :think:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #72 on: September 07, 2017, 01:44:04 PM

Def
Is it loaded up heavily?

My company's Ford van also has an 80L tank, but I tend to get an average off 780-800km from it while driving from town to town and some highways.

Biggest catch with Jeeps, is they are not very aerodynamic. You can have the same engine in a Liberty and it will get better mileage. Gearing is a factor also.
Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #73 on: September 07, 2017, 02:49:59 PM

Def

I'm at half a tank now and I've gone 354 km so my guess of 700 for all city is about right.   I took one short trip out of town to Port Dover and back for a ride but the rest has been all city and hauling to the dump.

The only other thing I've done is install wheel well liners.  Next some good floor mats for winter and in good for a bit.

ca Offline JP

Reply #74 on: September 07, 2017, 02:57:23 PM
Is your floor rubberized?

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #75 on: September 07, 2017, 03:14:25 PM
Is your floor rubberized?

Nope thats why I want some good mats.

ca Offline JP

Reply #76 on: September 07, 2017, 05:05:59 PM
I have Husky brand in my Corolla.   They are nice but I wish that the rubber/plastic was softer and more flexible.

The dealership should be able to get you Ford branded tray liners.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #77 on: September 07, 2017, 10:00:15 PM
I have Findway (google it) floor mat in mine, bought them for winter mats but they are so nice looking I just leave them in all year long. Although I suppose a obvious rubber looking mat like weathertech is more fitting for a F150.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #78 on: September 07, 2017, 11:55:27 PM
Husky makes 2 for my truck one looks like plastic the other says its a rubberized material.

https://www.amazon.ca/Husky-Liners-Front-SuperCrew-SuperCab/dp/B00WA4ARO8/ref=pd_sim_263_1

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #79 on: September 09, 2017, 01:49:41 PM

Def
Is it loaded up heavily?

Biggest catch with Jeeps, is they are not very aerodynamic. You can have the same engine in a Liberty and it will get better mileage. Gearing is a factor also.

They are heavy to begin with, plus the lack of aerodynamics, and the solid front axle, and the transfer case and heavy tires.... all of this robs efficiency but offers capabilities that I consider to be worthwhile tradeoffs.

I used to drive a Dodge Ram 1500 cargo van for a living and I can't count the number of problems I had with that thing in the winter.  A little extra fuel consumption is a small price to pay for still being alive and not killing anyone else. :P

Def

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #80 on: September 09, 2017, 03:24:15 PM

Def
Is it loaded up heavily?

They are heavy to begin with, plus the lack of aerodynamics, and the solid front axle, and the transfer case and heavy tires.... all of this robs efficiency but offers capabilities that I consider to be worthwhile tradeoffs.

I used to drive a Dodge Ram 1500 cargo van for a living and I can't count the number of problems I had with that thing in the winter.  A little extra fuel consumption is a small price to pay for still being alive and not killing anyone else.

Def
:salute:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #81 on: September 09, 2017, 06:52:40 PM
My civic with winter tires on was still scary to drive in winter.  I won't ever get another vehicle without AWD/4WD.

ca Offline JP

Reply #82 on: September 09, 2017, 11:15:14 PM
Geez, let's not talk about winter driving for another 6 week's, ok fellas?

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #83 on: September 09, 2017, 11:31:38 PM
I like winter driving, just not the gas mileage that comes with winter gas and low temp.  :(

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #84 on: September 13, 2017, 01:17:45 PM
My civic with winter tires on was still scary to drive in winter.  I won't ever get another vehicle without AWD/4WD.

You and me both.  I also like being in a Jeep/truck because it means you can see over the snowbanks on all the corners.  You will discover how wonderful that is soon enough!

Geez, let's not talk about winter driving for another 6 week's, ok fellas?

After the summer we've had here, I am not sure winter ever left!

Def

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: September 16, 2017, 02:43:25 PM
Lets keep the W word under wraps for the time being.  :whistle:  It is going to be sunny and near 80 here today and I want to milk this weather for all its worth.

Weather Tech makes pretty good mats/liners. They are a little pricey but seem to be really solid. I'm too cheap for them. I just buy the rubber mats on sale where you get the most in one pack.  :D
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #86 on: September 16, 2017, 03:28:14 PM
At least I won't dread winter driving this year.  It sucked getting stuck in a few inches of snow with my old car.   I sold my old snow tires yesterday which maybe had a season left in them for $100, so that was the last piece of the old car.

Still loving the truck, only one issue has come up.  There was what I thought was tape residue (or something left from the white pen stuff they write on windows with) on the front windshield but upon closer inspection is a fairly deep scratch.  I know I didnt do it and I went over and showed the sales manager yesterday and they are hooking me up with a new windshield next week.  He said it looks like something that happened in transport.  I honestly expected more of a fight on that and was ready, but they just owned it.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #87 on: September 16, 2017, 03:30:20 PM
Its good to hear the dealer just owned it.   
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #88 on: September 17, 2017, 01:50:04 AM
I knew someone had to make this.  There is a huge void in the middle of the bumper with huge space I can fit my arm in there, and I thought perfect winch spot.  Finally found one.  Do I need it? No.  But Im not living in a need world right now.  mahahahaha

I'd have to relocate the dumb front license plate somewhere tho.

http://store.sdhqoffroad.com/2015f150winchmount.aspx
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 01:51:34 AM by Syph007 »

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #89 on: September 17, 2017, 06:51:32 PM
I'd be concerned about getting winter road crap in there and weaken the cable and such.

You can probably double side tape the plate to one of the plastic blocks to the side, or heck use that flip up holder to double as cover for the now stealth winch!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%