Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anybody got a Ford F150 with ecoboost engine?

Syph007 · 109 · 3728

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Anybody got a Ford F150 with ecoboost engine?
Reply #90 on: September 19, 2017, 04:01:34 PM
I'd be concerned about getting winter road crap in there and weaken the cable and such.

You can probably double side tape the plate to one of the plastic blocks to the side, or heck use that flip up holder to double as cover for the now stealth winch!

There's no winter in Southern Ontario!  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #91 on: September 29, 2017, 05:08:41 PM
I'd be concerned about getting winter road crap in there and weaken the cable and such.

You can probably double side tape the plate to one of the plastic blocks to the side, or heck use that flip up holder to double as cover for the now stealth winch!

Def

Every few years we get a winter... for a few days.  I cant wait to drive through snow.

Im just about ready to gas up for the 2nd time since I got the truck.  Im using about 50 L of gas a week, so thats about $60 CAD cost.  Its worked out fine, but again, I would not have bought this if I had a commute.  :D 

I tried to park in a parking garage last week when I went to Guelph... not a smart move.  My antenna was dragging the ceiling in there and i opened the window to feel how far the ceiling was from my truck roof.. about an inch.   So... I did a u turn and left.  I can only imagine if someone has a jacked up suspension and went in with any speed it would have wedged the truck in there good.  Well no damage done but my heart was racing a bit.  Outside parking only.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline JP

Reply #92 on: September 29, 2017, 07:22:56 PM
lol

::)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #93 on: October 02, 2017, 04:20:21 PM

Def

Every few years we get a winter... for a few days.  I cant wait to drive through snow.

Im just about ready to gas up for the 2nd time since I got the truck.  Im using about 50 L of gas a week, so thats about $60 CAD cost.  Its worked out fine, but again, I would not have bought this if I had a commute.  :D 

I tried to park in a parking garage last week when I went to Guelph... not a smart move.  My antenna was dragging the ceiling in there and i opened the window to feel how far the ceiling was from my truck roof.. about an inch.   So... I did a u turn and left.  I can only imagine if someone has a jacked up suspension and went in with any speed it would have wedged the truck in there good.  Well no damage done but my heart was racing a bit.  Outside parking only.

I've had to remove the CB antenna from my Jeep because of the various underground parking lots we go to.  I have actually had to stop in the undergrounds in the past to remove my antenna because of all of the banging.   :facepalm:

Even so, my Jeep isn't lifted and I still cringe when going into the various underground places- the concrete ceilings, plumbing, signs etc are far too close for my comfort.   :ahhh

Def 
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #94 on: October 04, 2017, 04:01:21 AM
Once I was lining up to get into parking garage, another guy in a big SUV with roofbox actually drove around the height indicator hanging bar because it'll hit his roofbox, but smartened up quickly and turned around.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #95 on: December 29, 2017, 05:51:56 PM
4 months of ownership update. 

Love this thing in the snow, so much fun in 4x4.  In 2WD though I spin out alot and now realize I for sure need some weight in the back, but since its been mostly snow covered roads lately Im in 4x4 almost all the time.

I'm averaging filling up about every 3 weeks and the cost of gas is not even an issue on that frequency. Its almost negated by the lowered insurance.

I see a truck now as the multitool of vehicles. I can haul people, cargo, tow 5 tons, or all of those combined.  It can offroad and be a worktruck outfitted with a ton of toolbox options. I can buy a truck top camper and convert it into a mobile home.  They do make ultralight ones for the f150 like this.

Ive had zero mechanical issues or oddities and no regrets on buying.  Im at a whopping 3300 KM so far.  :D  I wish I could have gotten in in red but that would be stupid to pay 10k more to order one to spec just based on color.  White looks dirty so fast on the sloppy roads right now, but not much I can do about that.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 05:53:47 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #96 on: December 29, 2017, 05:55:48 PM
You could always have it painted red for a lot less than 10k.   :tu:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #97 on: December 29, 2017, 05:57:17 PM
You could always have it painted red for a lot less than 10k.   :tu:

Good point.  Maybe I can treat myself to a paint job after the stock ones starts to look old.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #98 on: December 30, 2017, 03:09:54 AM
I agree- a truck is the absolute epitome of a vehicle based multitool.  I opted to go for an SUV but I often kick myself for that.  The lower towing capacity and the fact that I have to get my trailer to haul things is kind of a pain in the bum, but the ease of parking and added interior cargo space makes it a decent trade off, just like the difference between a Spirit and a Surge!

I'm just glad I am not one of the folks with one of those cheap Asian knockoffs that think they are handy and don't know any better! :P

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #99 on: December 30, 2017, 03:16:07 AM
Don't paint it, wrap it. Probably cost the same and peels off when you don't want it, with impeccable original paint underneath.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #100 on: December 30, 2017, 05:53:33 AM
Don't paint it, wrap it. Probably cost the same and peels off when you don't want it, with impeccable original paint underneath.

Like a truck condom  :D

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #101 on: December 30, 2017, 04:15:48 PM

Like a truck condom  :D

Oh interesting.  I will have to look into the truck condom wrap idea.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #102 on: December 30, 2017, 04:18:23 PM
Great to hear the truck is working out so well.  A truck is a terrific MT.  I recently cleaned out a storage unit it had.  Its nice to be able to do it myself and not have to rent a truck of rely on someone with a truck.   
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #103 on: January 02, 2018, 02:21:13 PM
Great to hear the truck is working out so well.  A truck is a terrific MT.  I recently cleaned out a storage unit it had.  Its nice to be able to do it myself and not have to rent a truck of rely on someone with a truck.

Make sure you have this integrated into the wrap:

Def

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #104 on: January 02, 2018, 02:30:27 PM

Make sure you have this integrated into the wrap:

(Image removed from quote.)

Def
Right!
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #105 on: January 03, 2018, 07:43:07 PM
Ive gone and planted the bug in my head I 'need' a truck camper for summer.  I decided on the travel lite 690.  Its well under my 2000lb payload and should be no problem to drive with.

So I started looking around and found a 2011 model 'pre loved' and for sale over in Stratford.  Im going to pop by and see if I can swing a deal assuming I like it of course.  I figure there has to be some wiggle room on used inventory of campers in the dead of winter.

Here's some stock pics.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #106 on: January 10, 2018, 04:59:07 PM
Ok screw the buy an already built one, too expensive for what you get and still just about takes all my payload anyway.

New plan its to DIY one. I love how this guy built his with some lightweight honeycomb material (nidacore) covered in fiberglass.  No wood to get wet and rot.  Ive never done fiberglass but how hard can it be?  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #107 on: January 10, 2018, 05:27:56 PM
Either way you go I am uber envious, but yeah, I like that home built one because you get what you want in it!

Def

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #108 on: January 10, 2018, 07:38:22 PM
Either way you go I am uber envious, but yeah, I like that home built one because you get what you want in it!

Def

Well Ive only figured out the materials so far.  Im quite a ways away from having a final product, but DIY does let you choose what features are important.  Having a good bed with real mattress for example is much higher priority for me than trying to make internal plubming for a shower.

Composites Canada in mississauga carries 4x8 sheets of nidacore in a bunch of thicknesses.  So at least it would be easy for me to drive over there to get the raw materials.  I need to learn more about the kinds of epoxies and fiberglass cloth needed though as all of that is new to me.   I found lots of boat building videos on youtube though that show how to do fiberglass. It looks easy to do, but hard to get perfect.  Im fine with doing sanding between layers if my lay ups arent perfect. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68