Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Opinions on a sheath idea(s)....

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Opinions on a sheath idea(s)....
on: August 22, 2017, 12:55:17 PM
Hi Guys & Gals

The 3rd Kukri I made is mine to keep, the previous two went out with more what you could call a kydex blade protector, and even these weren't easy to get semi-functional.

Since mine is slimmer than the previous 2 it will be a bit easier, but the same basic problem is still there - getting blade retention and actually being able to remove it from the sheath are not always compatible....so I had the following idea:

I want to take the piece of Kydex, fold it so that it pancakes the straight front part of the blade, and upwards from there the bottom piece of kydex folded over to cradle the cutting edge but not cover the whole blade.

Next is another piece of kydex molded over 2 rare earth magnets from old hard drives and attached to the rear of the sheath.  This has dual purpose, to stiffen the sheath and........

.....here's where I want opinions - will the magnets offer enough retention you think?

• No Life Club
Re: Opinions on a sheath idea(s)....
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 01:38:12 PM
Secondly  :whistle:

Best way to describe this is a happy accident I guess.....

I was making new sheath for my big chopper, after the rivets were set the retention was a bit too good.....the forever kind  :rofl:

I removed the top rivet and determined I need a bit if a spacer.  Whatever went in there would be sacrificial, so I decided on a piece of leather instead of kydex.

The unexpected result of this was a built-in strop!  :like:

I guess this was luck of the draw, most likely not easy to do intentionally......happy accident! 

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 02:02:33 PM
Not sure about this idea but...
If you do a 2 piece (front & back) with an open spine like the older CS kukri machete sheath mold a tab/ridge on the spine side of the back pannel that extends forward to just past the front pannel as a lock. That way when the knife is shiethed the tab is behind the spine and serves the same function as the straps. To sheath and unsheath the knife you push on the tab to slightly spread the kydex apart as it is only riveted on the edge and tip sides

Basicly a tab lock that functions like the glock81 instead of the straps wrapping behind the spine.

I hope this made some sort of sense
20170822_070532.jpg
* 20170822_070532.jpg (Filesize: 261.15 KB)
20170822_070539.jpg
* 20170822_070539.jpg (Filesize: 308.42 KB)
20170822_070547.jpg
* 20170822_070547.jpg (Filesize: 286.68 KB)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 02:18:17 PM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 03:59:47 PM
I get what you're suggesting, the previous sheaths I made used the standard crimp around the front part of the handle for retention, then I cut open the spine till I could actually get the knife out. 

If I understand your suggestion the retention is just a bit lower?  Definitely something to consider, would make the slot required shorter and the sheath stiffer  :tu:

It works, but not great, and I found it incredibly difficult to work with such a big knife......

My setup is not exactly pro: two cut-off pieces of wood, bench vice, yoga mat and heat gun  :rofl:

No votes for the magnets?  :pok:  :rofl:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 05:21:06 PM

How stiff is the Kydex?
Can you cut one of these little retainers in to it?
Heat  up the local area and hold it down until its cooled the 'spring' of the kydex holds the blade
Don't know I that makes sense?

Everything’s adjustable

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 05:22:41 PM
I get what you're suggesting, the previous sheaths I made used the standard crimp around the front part of the handle for retention, then I cut open the spine till I could actually get the knife out. 

If I understand your suggestion the retention is just a bit lower?  Definitely something to consider, would make the slot required shorter and the sheath stiffer  :tu:

It works, but not great, and I found it incredibly difficult to work with such a big knife......

My setup is not exactly pro: two cut-off pieces of wood, bench vice, yoga mat and heat gun  :rofl:

No votes for the magnets?
:pok:  :rofl:

Apparently, nobody is attracted to them...
 :whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 08:50:17 AM
is......what she said?  :think:

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 09:22:17 AM
I have an old Gigand Gardian C (Fred Carter ) with magnetic retention. While I carried it for several years I always had to be careful it didn't slip out. The design was supposed to be worn by clip or as a neck knide; but the magnets weren't strong enough to invert. It has a thick triangular grind so the back is flat to rest against the magnets. It sucks as a slicer and is supposed to be a defensive stabber with a fencer grip.
The knife is still in production under the Colt label.

So the answer is no, not for a bush knife. The risk of losing it as a sheath are too great. As just an edge protector for something carried inside a pack...maybe.

Pic from random google
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 11:34:35 AM
is......what she said?  :think:

Might be, she's a chatterbox...
 :facepalm:

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 12:41:10 PM
Thanks Noa  :tu:

Not easy for me to replenish my supply of real and faux Kydex, so I tend to be a bit stingy......have to admit that was part of my motivation for looking at alternatives.

I know there are sheaths that use a magnet for retention, if memory serves a BRK........a small knife.

Those magnets in hard drives are very strong, but we're also talking about a big piece of steel......I was worried.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%