Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Nitecore MT22A = worst flashlight ever

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Nitecore MT22A = worst flashlight ever
on: August 24, 2017, 11:33:06 PM
I recently purchased a Nitecore MT22A. I received a defective unit. The bezel would not seat properly into the light which caused it to not even turn on. I was sent a replacement that they said they physically tested for function before sending it out. Funny thing is the replacement has the exact same issue. When I did finally get the light to turn on the high mode would flicker like it was about to shut off. The replacement is actually worse than the first unit I received.  :facepalm: They offered another replacement, but I'm not going to take a third chance with this piece of junk. I assume since it is a new product they overlooked some design/quality issues and pushed the light out before fully testing these issues. Either way I'm not to thrilled and was on the fence with Nitecore products before ordering this. Needless to say this made my decision on purchasing Nitecore in the future very easy.
I'm the milk man!

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Nitecore MT22A = worst flashlight ever
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 12:53:29 AM
I've just received one and found the opening/closing mechanism was a bit finicky.  The first time I tried to put the bezel end back on after putting some batteries in it didn't sit all the way home, but after fiddling with the button a bit it did go in properly.  I haven't used it much yet but I like the size & shape. 

I've obviously been spoilt by Zebralight user interfaces as I found the Hi/Med/Lo/Strobe sequence a bit clunky (and yes, I know some people can't get on with the ZL UI at all, but I like it  :pok:  )
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 12:57:27 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 01:01:59 AM
I've not got much experience with Nitecore, but I'd heartily recommend having a look to see if Thrunite has anything of a similar spec. I've had several items from them, and they've all been great products at a great price  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 01:15:54 AM
I've just received one and found the opening/closing mechanism was a bit finicky.  The first time I tried to put the bezel end back on after putting some batteries in it didn't sit all the way home, but after fiddling with the button a bit it did go in properly.  I haven't used it much yet but I like the size & shape. 

I've obviously been spoilt by Zebralight user interfaces as I found the Hi/Med/Lo/Strobe sequence a bit clunky (and yes, I know some people can't get on with the ZL UI at all, but I like it  :pok:  )

Me too.  Sorry the light sucks for you.  I've not had any experience with Nitecore.  Bummer the replacement is as bad or worse.  Maybe design flaw or just bad batch.  Wonder if the flashlight forums relate any such issues? 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 06:47:35 PM
Not sure about other brands but for some reason this always happens with Nitecore new models of flashlights when they are first introduced, they are nothing more than prototype lights, that's why I never purchase the new released models, I just wait several months until customer complains with issues have being solved by Nitecore and the new batch of flashlight is released.
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 07:24:51 AM
Not sure about other brands but for some reason this always happens with Nitecore new models of flashlights when they are first introduced, they are nothing more than prototype lights, that's why I never purchase the new released models, I just wait several months until customer complains with issues have being solved by Nitecore and the new batch of flashlight is released.

This is what I was thinking. I knew I should of waited. It's like buying a new model car that is just released. You always wait a year for them to work out the kinks.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 08:08:55 AM

This is what I was thinking. I knew I should of waited. It's like buying a new model car that is just released. You always wait a year for them to work out the kinks.

:tu: Exactly!
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 11:31:48 PM
I've given up on Nitecore. QC is questionable. I've got a couple of lights where the fit and finish is impeccable and had a few where it was really sloppy.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 11:54:47 PM
I've given up on Nitecore. QC is questionable. I've got a couple of lights where the fit and finish is impeccable and had a few where it was really sloppy.

Same, plus if you want to send it in for a warranty claim you have to pay to send it to China. On top of that the wait time is terrible. No thanks.

I will take my chances on their cheaper models, but I'm never spending over $20 on a Nitecore again.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 01:08:29 AM
You don't need to deal with China and wait a long time. Just make a direct purchase from The Nitecore Store in Texas or from one of the several authorized Nitecore US distributor selling on eBay. They will cover the full Warranty and will fix or replace any light in case something goes wrong, you just need to pay for US shipping postage.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 01:43:00 AM
I do not use EBAY so that is not a option for myself but great info for others.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 01:49:43 AM

I understand by not been a fan of eBay but The Nitecore Store is not on eBay, you can make a direct purchase online or by phone. I've done it several times :salute:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 05:40:37 AM

I understand by not been a fan of eBay but The Nitecore Store is not on eBay, you can make a direct purchase online or by phone. I've done it several times :salute:

Are their prices the same as say Amazon or do they charge MSRP?

Just curious. In all honesty like I said before I will never spend over $20 on any Nitecore under any circumstances due to the problems I have had with them in the past. It's a shame because I really like the look of a lot of their products.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 08:02:29 AM

Are their prices the same as say Amazon or do they charge MSRP?

Just curious. In all honesty like I said before I will never spend over $20 on any Nitecore under any circumstances due to the problems I have had with them in the past. It's a shame because I really like the look of a lot of their products.

No MSRP prices. See for your self.
http://www.nitecorestore.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=MT22A&Submit=GO
https://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-Lumens-Flashlight-Eco-Sensa-Batteries/dp/B0751J2P38/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1504331999&sr=1-2&keywords=Nitecore+MT22A
Same price as Amazon and free shipping. The only plus is that Amazon sellers will throw in free Chinese AA batteries .

Not trying to convince you to purchase Nitecore flashlights. Just answering your questions and also letting other know in case they are interested. That's all! :whistle:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 07:51:44 PM
Yea I get it and thank you for the great info for others interested.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 08:35:54 PM
I have the Nitecore MT21A for a couple of years now and it's been a great light, very reliable. Not a huge fan of the interface but the throw is really impressive. I'd buy Eagletac next time for the superior UI and Nichia LED. The Thrunite has far more lumens but their LED's have a green tint (I have the TN12 - daylight) which I don't like.

That said, if not looking for an AA light specifically, IMO the BLF A6 SE the best choice on the market today bar none. Best UI I've ever experienced, really tough, really bright, great mode options and costs just $20 these days. I have two of them. One of them modded with a Nichia LED and spring bypass.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 08:43:25 PM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 10:08:39 PM
I personally think that Zebralight offers the best UI, but your going to pay for it.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 12:26:52 PM
that stinks Capt.

I really like my nitecores, havent had many issues with that brand, but I remember checking this model out in preview pics on cpf and was leary about that head/body attachment just from the photos, maybe they will iron out the kinks in ver 2.0

us Offline David Quevedo

Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 02:36:25 AM
All of my Nitecore purchasing experiences have been positive ones.  I own quite a few of them, but tapered off the purchases, since they don't really have a lot of lights with a neutral tint (the direction I've gravitated towards in the past year or two.

https://imgur.com/tjzEFQ7

I had an MT21a, but gave it to a friend, this past December, who needed it more than I did.  It worked (and still works) flawlessly.

I'm not a big fan of AA flashlights (terrible run times and output, compared to 18650 lights that I am accustomed to), especially plastic ones. 

I guess the head on the MT22A is metal...?  Stil...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 02:42:45 AM by David Quevedo »

us Offline David Quevedo

Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 02:50:19 AM

I have their SC600w Mk II L2 and SC600w Mk III and I absolutely love their interface.  I think it's genius.  If only they could incorporate a momentary rear switch, that always comes on in Hi, it would be the perfect sub compact EDC light :-)

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 02:33:37 AM
I just saw a scathing 1 star review on amazon of this light, figured its got be the captain's

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 08:49:03 AM
I really do not think it was scathing. All I did was state what happened and thanked the dealer for a great interaction.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 09:34:02 AM
I really do not think it was scathing. All I did was state what happened and thanked the dealer for a great interaction.

My bad, perhaps I used the wrong word, sorry the light didn't work out for you

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD