Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First-Aid Kit SAK

us Offline Tired_Yeti

First-Aid Kit SAK
on: August 25, 2017, 09:10:26 AM
I have my EDC SAK and I have an old Huntsman in the kitchen "junk drawer" for my wife to use. I even have a Stay-Glow Classic SD in a survival tin that I'm putting together. So I got to thinking...I know we have EMTs, paramedics, nurses, medical doctors, and veterinarians on here sonI'm sure there's a wealth of knowledge and ideas. But keeping our suggestions at the level of the untrained or First-Aid trained layman...
If you were going to select a SAK to be kept inside of a First-Aid kit to be used by anyone who grabs the kit. To be used to perform any of the most common, most necessary emergency medical skills (not taking about surgery or invasive procedures that require training)--the things laymen with First-Aid training would do (to include preparing and taking or administering medications)...

Which model would you chose?

Something with all the tools you think necessary, but not so complex that your wife/mom/sister/grandparent wouldn't try to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ph Offline Zephon

Re: First-Aid Kit SAK
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 09:24:31 AM
For larger one -- I'm looking at the Explorer.  Simply for the magnifying glass for splinters and what have you.  Anything a simple as a Compact will do I guess.

For a smaller one, there's a Manager in the basic kit at home. 

As long as there's tweezers, scissors and a sharp blade, it'll do.

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 10:28:43 AM

Fisherman for civilian use: those fish-hook injuries can be messy so a proper hook removal tool could be invaluable  ;).

CyberTool Lite is potentially useful.  Scissors to cut material, tweezers for splinters, pliers to remove heftier foreign bodies ( :o), light to illuminate things, magnifier to inspect them (but not at same time  :P).  Just a shame about the actual CyberTool which may be somewhat redundant  :D!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 10:31:31 AM by Little Tinker »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 10:44:20 AM

Fisherman for civilian use: those fish-hook injuries can be messy so a proper hook removal tool could be invaluable  ;).

CyberTool Lite is potentially useful.  Scissors to cut material, tweezers for splinters, pliers to remove heftier foreign bodies ( :o), light to illuminate things, magnifier to inspect them (but not at same time  :P).  Just a shame about the actual CyberTool which may be somewhat redundant  :D!
SAK light is no match for a little keychain light.  :cheers:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 10:56:06 AM
This is timely! I am just about to add my Compact (gifted by the ever generous El-Corkscrew) to my 1st aid kit! So that's the one I'd go with.  :D

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 11:12:16 AM
:imws: I've got a Classic in mine.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 11:42:11 AM
Classic Hiraethus

england Offline Kev D

Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 11:43:25 AM
Classic Hiraethus

Careful you don't cut yourself on that  :whistle:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 11:54:10 AM

For a first aid kit?
Compact!! without any question...  :cheers:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 12:00:02 PM

For a first aid kit?
Compact!! without any question...  :cheers:
:cheers:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 02:11:36 PM
The small first aid kit that I use when out walking or camping, has had a Compact in it for the last few years.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 02:27:39 PM
Not sure about the Compact. The Climber costs half as much and has a pen blade (can be used as a clean blade, with the other kept for cutting the clothes etc) and a stronger prying tool.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 03:32:05 PM
I'm not sure there is any one ideal SAK for a first aid kit, but I tend to include a Classic SD in my kits. My ideal FAK SAK would be along the lines of the rescue tool, but with scissors added. And I'd probably leave it at home because it would be too big and heavy.

Every FAK should be tailored for it's intended environment, space constraints, and the likely risks. I have small FAK's that can slip into a pocket or brief case. I have a large FAK that I carry in my truck. Around the house I have a couple spots where I keep regular medical supplies. Each environment has different risks and space/weight constraints.

At home, I've got burn dressings, bandages, band-aids, ace wraps, antibiotic ointment, meds, etc.....the full deal. Space isn't a concern, so I have a decent tool kit with shears, forceps, tweezers, syringes, fresnel magnifying lens, etc.... And, EMS is nearby. I have some sutures, but, really, if I need sutures I'm going to the ER.

For hiking/backpacking, I'm thinking splinters, blisters, cuts/scrapes, maybe an insect or snake bite, a twisted ankle, possible dehydration, hypothermia. I'm not far from help on a day hike, but I may not have cell phone coverage. So my kit is tailored for those things. Scissors and tweezers are key components, so any SAK with those is a good idea. I usually have a Classic SD in my day hike kits, but this anticipates that I have another knife on my person (which I always do.  ;)). I think the bigger scissors of the Compact or Climber would be great, but those knives take up more space. Space is a precious commodity in a FAK. A Hercules would be great....but too big, too heavy.

The SAK in my truck's FAK is also a Classic SD. In that case, though, I have extra dedicated tools: trauma shears, forceps, CPR mask, tweezers, flashlight. And a knife in my pocket.

My office kit is pretty minimal: iodine wipes, band-aids, aspirin, diphenhydramine, tweezers. Help is nearby, the risks are minimal. There is no SAK in my office FAK. I'll have to rely on the knives I have with me--one of which, probably a Classic, will have scissors. I'll also have a small flashlight on hand. I've got a CPR mask in a desk drawer.

My combat FAK had shears, but no knife. And several tourniquets. Help in the form of a combat medic was right next to me and a helicopter ambulance was usually available.

So, I guess the Classic is the SAK I've chosen for my FAK's. Small size, good capabilities, and can be paired nicely with more dedicated tools if the situation warrants. I'd say figure out what your risks are, what your likely needs might be, and what other tools you will have at hand; balance those factors with what you are willing to carry and how much space you can dedicate to a FAK. I think, like the rest of life, it's all about compromises.

Let us know what you choose!  :cheers:

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 04:37:26 PM by Nix »

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 03:46:18 PM
When in doubt pick swisschapm XLT. That should cover more or less all possible uses a sak can be put to...  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline KandiKlover

• Classic SD - SwissChamp
Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 03:49:24 PM
When in doubt pick swisschapm XLT. That should cover more or less all possible uses a sak can be put to...  :D

Better yet go full XAVT. Dat pharmaceutical spatula   :ahhh

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 03:50:52 PM
But who has hands big enough to handle one of those...  :ahhh

Although, medical spatula does make sense in fist aid kit.  :pok:

:D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

Offline stugumby

Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 04:40:30 PM
I would select the executive,it has the mid size scissors and the small serrated blade. It also has 2 other cutting blades and a nail file.74mm sized, so it's bigger than classic,but smaller than cadet 84mm and 91mm models.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 04:55:35 PM

Ditto   :tu:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Frailer

Reply #18 on: August 26, 2017, 02:26:50 AM
I'd opt for a Compact, but as has already been mentioned, a Climber would work just as well (with the addition of a straight pin in the scales).

I could also think of many situations where the pliers (tweezers on steroids) would be handy, so a Deluxe Tinker wouldn't be a bad idea.

Wilderness first aid might call for a saw, and a magnifying glass might be useful in some situations, so...

Swisschamp?

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #19 on: August 26, 2017, 04:52:35 AM
Climber or Compact. But rebuilt as an Alox so it can be dumped in boiling water to sterilize it

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #20 on: August 26, 2017, 05:49:00 AM
Climber or Compact. But rebuilt as an Alox so it can be dumped in boiling water to sterilize it
So you'd sacrifice the tweezers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: August 26, 2017, 06:29:34 AM
I don't go nowhere without no tweezers.

And unless you feel confident doing surgery in a non-sterile environment, being able to sterilize a knife may not be a critical requirement. The first aid environment is likely to be messy and definitely not sterile. Been there, done that.

Story time: I once cut my foot with an axe. The cut hit an artery, but, fortunately, the axe got stuck in a bone in my foot and didn't go all the way through. Blood was spraying everywhere--you'll know an arterial bleed when you see one. The first thing I got my hands on was a dirty kitchen towel which I used to staunch the blood spray. That gave me time to gather up first aid supplies and dress and bandage the wound. I then drove myself to the ER. Given the contamination of the axe, the towel, my hands, etc...the wound was surprisingly clean. Not that that stopped the ER nurse from scrubbing out the wound while I writhed on the table.

My point here is that First Aid is just first aid, second aid will come later. Hopefully you won't need third aid.

Of course you want to be as clean as possible to prevent contamination, but the key thing is to keep someone's heart going, keep them breathing, and stop excessive bleeding. If you are thinking about using a knife on someone in the home or field environment, cleanliness will be less critical than the knowledge of how and where to cut them. I'd recommend a sterile scalpel if you are thinking of putting a chest tube into someone. But, if you don't have a sterile blade, would you not put in a chest tube? (If someone needs a chest tube, there won't be time to sterilize a SAK. And boiling doesn't completely sterilize a knife, regardless.) If you'd contemplate doing a cricothyrotomy, will you have a sterile airway with you? If not, why worry about a semi-clean knife? (BTW, the blade on the Classic would make a fine cricothyrotomy knife.)

Chances are, you won't need a knife blade to cut anything more than some clothing or a seatbelt. That can be a dirty and relatively small blade (I once used a 4" folder to cut off some clothing from a simulated patient, but that was definitely overkill and maybe a bit dangerous.). After that, scissors/shears will be most helpful. Simple things like cuts, scrapes, splinters, burns, and bites don't require a knife. But tweezers..... :tu:

p.s. foot was fine after a dozen stitches and a lot of pain. Lesson learned. The hard way. Again.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 06:31:11 AM by Nix »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #22 on: August 26, 2017, 08:30:57 PM
I don't go nowhere without no tweezers.

And unless you feel confident doing surgery in a non-sterile environment, being able to sterilize a knife may not be a critical requirement. The first aid environment is likely to be messy and definitely not sterile. Been there, done that.

Story time: I once cut my foot with an axe. The cut hit an artery, but, fortunately, the axe got stuck in a bone in my foot and didn't go all the way through. Blood was spraying everywhere--you'll know an arterial bleed when you see one. The first thing I got my hands on was a dirty kitchen towel which I used to staunch the blood spray. That gave me time to gather up first aid supplies and dress and bandage the wound. I then drove myself to the ER. Given the contamination of the axe, the towel, my hands, etc...the wound was surprisingly clean. Not that that stopped the ER nurse from scrubbing out the wound while I writhed on the table.

My point here is that First Aid is just first aid, second aid will come later. Hopefully you won't need third aid.

Of course you want to be as clean as possible to prevent contamination, but the key thing is to keep someone's heart going, keep them breathing, and stop excessive bleeding. If you are thinking about using a knife on someone in the home or field environment, cleanliness will be less critical than the knowledge of how and where to cut them. I'd recommend a sterile scalpel if you are thinking of putting a chest tube into someone. But, if you don't have a sterile blade, would you not put in a chest tube? (If someone needs a chest tube, there won't be time to sterilize a SAK. And boiling doesn't completely sterilize a knife, regardless.) If you'd contemplate doing a cricothyrotomy, will you have a sterile airway with you? If not, why worry about a semi-clean knife? (BTW, the blade on the Classic would make a fine cricothyrotomy knife.)

Chances are, you won't need a knife blade to cut anything more than some clothing or a seatbelt. That can be a dirty and relatively small blade (I once used a 4" folder to cut off some clothing from a simulated patient, but that was definitely overkill and maybe a bit dangerous.). After that, scissors/shears will be most helpful. Simple things like cuts, scrapes, splinters, burns, and bites don't require a knife. But tweezers..... :tu:

p.s. foot was fine after a dozen stitches and a lot of pain. Lesson learned. The hard way. Again.

very nice said, I aagree on all points.
I also learned that lesson...

Show content

the hard way
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: August 26, 2017, 08:45:29 PM
Ouch!

That'll leave a mark.  :drink:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #24 on: August 27, 2017, 01:08:18 PM
So you'd sacrifice the tweezers?

I find SAK tweezers to be insufficent quite often. I keep them as back up for slivers that are just caught, but I also have a pair of usable tweezers with me most of the time. That being said, my slivers often need the hemostats I keep with my LM to get a grip on. I rarely get dainty little fine ones- mine are often toothpick thick.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #25 on: August 27, 2017, 09:16:16 PM
I currently have most of my FAKs equipped with Classics, mainly due to me having a surplus of them, and because they're among the most utilitarian model they have:  small, sharp blade, file, a pair of precise scissors, and the ever handy tweezers.  Reading through these replies does make me want to reconsider replacing a couple of them with Executives for the greater functionality, but for the majority of my personal-sized kits, the humble little Classic (or Classic SD) punches well above its weight class, especially for a sub-$10 knife. :tu:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: August 27, 2017, 09:40:14 PM
Tweezers are for girls. When my wife gets a splinter I use tweezers. When I get a splinter I cut it out with a knife :viking:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #27 on: August 27, 2017, 10:21:44 PM
Depends which direction it's gone in. I like to have both knife and tweezers (or fine pliers)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: August 27, 2017, 10:34:16 PM
And if it is completely intractable you will need a saw to just lop off the whole limb :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: August 27, 2017, 11:03:53 PM
I have to thank Tired_Yeti for this thread. I was prompted to review and update the contents of a couple of my FAK's.

My briefcase FAK got a complete overhaul. I used to just keep the FAK packed in a heavy duty ziplock back. This was adequate, but the bag started to wear and become dirty. To help prevent undue wear and tear, I made a small FAK case from scraps I had on hand (Pioneer X for scale only. It was used during construction of the FAK case.):

The contents got updated and a small Classic SD was added.

I'm pretty happy with the update and feel a tad better prepared for the unexpected.

p.s. no one was injured or needed to go to the ER during the making of this FAK.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 01:41:04 AM by Nix »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD