Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who doesn't love bit holders??

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Who doesn't love bit holders??
on: August 27, 2017, 09:15:09 AM
Always amaze but how China manufacture are able to do include a full size bit holder into their cheap multitool.

Scored 2 great gems on eBay. Under $10 each.  One of it after little filing, fits nicely into my pst.

Now, who doesn't love full size bit holders?
IMG_20170827_150954-780x1040.jpg
* IMG_20170827_150954-780x1040.jpg (Filesize: 145.25 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Who doesn't love bit holders??
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 02:54:12 PM
I agree     :like:

gotta give credit to most of my Chinese cheapos, the majority of them have a full size driver, something rare compared to the tools of the big 4 makers...
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 05:16:01 PM
Yes, I particularly do not like the flat bits. Not to mention the price and they are rather short reach.. Dun get me wrong, love their tools, well most of them.. Just have no love for their bits.

Offline Keyboardinator

Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 07:42:47 PM
By the way, no MT I know uses 4-mm bits. Seems strange, since at least PST-sized tools are intended (and commonly used) as light-to-medium-duty instruments. In this torque range small bits are quite capable. And they are so tiny it may be possible to arrange on-board storage.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 01:46:08 AM
By the way, no MT I know uses 4-mm bits. Seems strange, since at least PST-sized tools are intended (and commonly used) as light-to-medium-duty instruments. In this torque range small bits are quite capable. And they are so tiny it may be possible to arrange on-board storage.

The Victorinox CyberTool Line uses 4mm bits. For their plier based tools they have opted to have the bit driver as an external tool instead, probably figuring that once you start bringing a bit kit a small driver won't add much bulk or weight and will allow you to hold on to a nut with the pliers while using the driver on the bolt.
Their thinking seems sound to me and it suits the way I use my tools.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 04:13:49 AM

The Victorinox CyberTool Line uses 4mm bits. For their plier based tools they have opted to have the bit driver as an external tool instead, probably figuring that once you start bringing a bit kit a small driver won't add much bulk or weight and will allow you to hold on to a nut with the pliers while using the driver on the bolt.

This sounds very logical. But still, I am going to explore putting in a 4mm bit holder into the tool. This sounds like a great project!  :D

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 08:17:55 AM

This sounds very logical. But still, I am going to explore putting in a 4mm bit holder into the tool. This sounds like a great project!  :D

Absolutely! I'm all for people finding what works for them and not. It would also be really interesting to see pictures of any progress you make!

Offline Keyboardinator

Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 06:16:52 PM
From what I've heard,CyberTool is great, but it still uses proprietary bits.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 06:36:45 PM

Not proprietary as such, the Cybertool line uses double sided 4mm bits with ball detent to keep them in place. More or less impossible to find except from Victorinox but a small magnet glued in the bit holder allows for use of standard 4mm bits. Or so I'm told.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 06:44:06 PM
I'm really sad that SOG seems to be having quality issues with their plier head solution since that would be a true centred drive similar to the Leatherman tool adapters without having to carry the extra part. Together with a 4" extension it should be able to work just as well as any full length bit driver.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 06:59:38 PM
I'm really sad that SOG seems to be having quality issues with their plier head solution since that would be a true centred drive similar to the Leatherman tool adapters without having to carry the extra part. Together with a 4" extension it should be able to work just as well as any full length bit driver.

That's sadly true. I have had the powerplay, poweraccess and power grab. None performs well in this specific task. Power grab being the most disappointing, I thought the bigger mass will allow me to have a tighter grip. How wrong am I.. They should have implement a locking latch to hold the handles together.

Offline Keyboardinator

Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 07:11:54 PM
I've been playing with the idea of a thick SAK scale (the other may remain plastic) housing several 4-mm bits. Sorry for the poor picture quality.
DSCN4319.JPG
* DSCN4319.JPG (Filesize: 30.84 KB)

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 11:02:08 PM
I've been playing with the idea of a thick SAK scale (the other may remain plastic) housing several 4-mm bits. Sorry for the poor picture quality.

One solution for using the bits is if you take a look at the 130mm Wenger/Delemont models. Their liners have a cutout driving the bits, most models have them hidden under the scales but the Mike Horn model is among the models that uses this function.

Picture courtesy of SAKWiki

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 11:03:30 PM

Not proprietary as such, the Cybertool line uses double sided 4mm bits with ball detent to keep them in place. More or less impossible to find except from Victorinox but a small magnet glued in the bit holder allows for use of standard 4mm bits. Or so I'm told.
The only bits I found that can be used with the CyberTool without adding a magnet are from Kraftwerk, its a decent kit and I'm happy with it. But running at about 40$ its quite pricey.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%