Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

YAAAMAS3 (3 cheers in Greek, but also and more relevantly, Yet Another Attempt At Modifying A Supert

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
...ool 300. (Sorry, title space ran out)

This is generally about one of the tools I admire the most, combined with some of the modding exploits on this forum that I admire the most. This topic is meant as a sounding board for my ideas - feedback is highly welcome.

Modding 300s has been done before. However, I plan to be going at it slightly differently to all others, as far as I've been able to gather. The aim is to create a tool of utmost versatility and hence utter awesomeness. So much for the aim... let's see if I can live up to it...

I'd like to combine the general versatility of a Surge plus some things with the sturdy basic platform of a Supertool 300.

I note, to start with, that the exploits of the likes of Obi1shenobee, Zoidberg and Toolslinger have been quite an inspiration. So, I am going to be liberal in borrowing ideas from all three, with due thanks where I end up being successful and apologies where I'm less than perfectly so and end up messing things up badly.

The following should be the tool complement:
Original knife blades, straight and serrated (in the original positions)
Original wide screwdriver
Original can opener

One large bit holder - replaces original medium and small flat, and Phillips screwdriver
One small bit holder - adds eyeglass-type screw capability
One saw/file blade exchanger (Surge type) - replaces original wood saw and file
One saw blade exchanger (ST300EOD type) - adds metal saw and whatever standard t-shank blades end up striking my fancy. I know these also fit in the previous entry but I'd like to have the added flexibility.
One pair of scissors (Wave type)

I would probably also need an awl but I think I could fashion an existing one to fit in oneof the blade exchangers.

An initial calculation shows this should be feasible in the available width.

What do you lot think? The item that will require most work is the file/saw exchanger but I have seen this is possible.

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 10:45:20 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Come to think of it... has anybody ever tried combining a can opener with an awl? I was thinking of sharpening the can opener and adding a hole...

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Lol, did you edit my name in?   :rofl:

Wave scissors outer pivot area will be too small.

EDO blade exchanger, where you getting it from and why not use two of them?

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Lol, did you edit my name in?   :rofl:

Wave scissors outer pivot area will be too small.

EDO blade exchanger, where you getting it from and why not use two of them?
Thanks!
You caught me out...  ;) but the reason is I found your mods after I found the other chaps' mods via various cross-references, and I had done the main post already before I realised I had forgotten your name. (Still trying to find my way around here, especially the modification threads which sometimes are a little difficult to find.)
Will have to look at the Wave scissors more closely, then, but I'm prepared to do some judicious drilling if necessary - and allowed by the amount of surrounding metal ;). I take it the Surge scissors are a valid alternative.
The EOD exchanger: why not two: would still love to be able to have the LM file and saw in the tool, and sourcing: would it be enough if I said "our man in Leningrad"?

Edit: oh you meant the outer (lock) area of the Wave scissors at the outer pivot? Mmmh... will have to check that carefully. Otherwise the Surge scissors but my original inclination was that these were not quite compact enough.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 09:14:08 AM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Any mechanical wizards around?

Some questions  ??? on a salient detail of my plan  >:D: I need to fit a Surge saw/file holder with a (plier-side) pivot hole diameter of 5.5 mm to an outer pivot pin of 4.8 mm and was thinking of producing a bronze or copper bushing on my miniature lathe to bridge the gap - even if it's quite a while ago since I did this last, I think I might (still) pull this off, maybe with a bit of hit & miss. Will these materials be sufficiently strong and the resulting pivot liner not overly prone to going slack and wobbly very soon? Which is best, copper or bronze? (The self-lubricating effects of the right kind of bronze won't come out at the RPMs we're considering, right?) Or must I go for stainless steel right away (more difficult to process and zero experience)?

Thanks in advance!

Just to keep you abreast of developments: on eyeball evidence I believe the Wave scissors will fit after all, despite some outer pivot lock surface mismatch. Nicely compact too, so will fit in a central position in the handle. (The Surge scissors, normally located at the 5.5 mm plier pivot, are rather bulky, hence would fit only at the outer positions in the handle - all of which are taken - and would in addition require grinding a lock surface and adding a bushing as well... I'd like to avoid that if possible.)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
    :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Yes thanks, I had already found the video, that's one of the things that have inspired me in the first place.  :tu:

What about the bushing I assume you used for the saw/file blade exchanger though? Which material did you use?
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Update:
- order drill bits sized 4.7, 4.75 and 4.8 mm - done (I plan to go at the drilling in stages)
- retrieve my trusty Emco Compact 5 lathe from storage and install on working space - done
- check bite in cutting tools - done
- check availability of copper turning material - done, will do for intended use
- check grinding machine and Dremel - done (for the outer lock surface of the saw and file blade holder)

Drill bits should be delivered in a few days, and week after next I'll have time for test cuts of the bushing.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 10:44:54 AM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Who's going to be working on whom here?

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Nice rebar!  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Begging your pardon Sir, but that is a Supertool 300...

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
 :facepalm:

Oh, and the orange machine is cool too.   :P :cheers:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Thanks! The lathe has recently been set up for operations again. Results will be visible in about two weeks' time :D

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Read on here, if you are so inclined:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=73762.0

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Donations

Operational Funds