Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which Olight next?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Which Olight next?
on: August 28, 2017, 03:35:42 AM
As the topic states, "Which Olight should I get next?" :think:

It is a bit overwhelming to say the least :ahhh I really like the Olight I3E EOS and have the SIlver and Copper version of that light :cheers: both are suppose to be 120 lumens when fresh batteries :tu: I really love this small light and it has given me some confidence with this brand :salute:

I would like a light that is just a bit bigger than this, between 500-1000 lumens and between all the different lights that are in that range I am a bit confused :ahhh

There seem to be the Minis and the Batons (several more than this I know but these seem to stick out) and many different variations of those. I think some are newer models but it is quite confusing :sa: Then you have several different batteries to go with and then there are the rechargeable models as well :facepalm:  Don't even let me begin with all the colors and finishes :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :facepalm:

I would also prefer a common battery size but the CR123 and 18650 size batteries are not out of the question as they last longer and give more brightness but I do need someone who has some of these lights to help me break this down and at least shorten my list of what I need to look for :poh: :dwts:

Any and all help will be appreciated and pics as well :D

Also this brand has a look that appeals to me and those that do have them seem to really like them :cheers:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Re: Which Olight next?
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 03:42:13 AM
Following this thread as I'm an owner of an I3E EOS in black, which has lower lumens. I really like the build quality of my Olight. I'm keen on the USB rechargeables next as they seem more practical in the sense that I don't need to buy new batteries regularly.... ???

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 03:58:54 AM
Some things to consider that may help you narrow down your search:

What is your intended usage?
Things like a narrow long throwing spot beam to see a long way, or a wider spread beam for things that are close up.
How long do you need it to run for ?

How many, what size and what type of batteries do you want to use ?
Single use (primaries), NiMh rechargeables or Li-ion (these need more care and attention to use safely)

What size and format of light do you prefer ?
Small, medium, large ?
Long and thin or short and fat ?

And of course, what is your budget  ?
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 04:27:07 AM
Some things to consider that may help you narrow down your search:

What is your intended usage?
Things like a narrow long throwing spot beam to see a long way, or a wider spread beam for things that are close up.
How long do you need it to run for ?

How many, what size and what type of batteries do you want to use ?
Single use (primaries), NiMh rechargeables or Li-ion (these need more care and attention to use safely)

What size and format of light do you prefer ?
Small, medium, large ?
Long and thin or short and fat ?

And of course, what is your budget  ?

All good questions :cheers: and why I need help :ahhh :D

I guess I would prefer a longer narrow beam to see long distances (if I have the choice to adjust the beam in the same light would be a plus but not a deal breaker :think: :tu: )

When I get a narrower list maybe I can have a battery breakdown at that point :think: What are some of the different pros and cons for battery types as I am just a regular battery user normally and I do have 1 light that uses the 18650 size but it is rechargable so I have never had to search for more of this type yet :whistle: Also with the USB rechargeable Olights, how long does one of those last on a charge :think: and is it worth getting the Olight brand batteries or is it just rebranded standard batteries ???

The format of light I would prefer a small to medium light that is not to unweildy as I want this light to carry out in my yard at night and in my pocket if need be :cheers: I do have the old school 3D cell Maglights (converted to LED) but that is way bigger than what I am going after with this light :salute:

Hope this info can help narrow my search :2tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 04:32:13 AM
The budget all depends on the light I guess :think: If it has accessories I am willing to spend more :D I want to be around the $50 (USD) mark but will go up to the $70 range if I have to :facepalm: ;)

Also I would like a clicky light vs. a twisty but another thing that isn't a deal breaker for me :tu:

I should mention that I won't have to depend on this light for work or anything :cheers: Just wanting an extra bright light for night time use around the house if I have to go outside and check around the house for anything :tu: The light I EDC now is enough for my work needs :salute: but if the one I end up with is super bright and still compact enough it may take it's place though ::) ;)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 04:33:38 AM by Poncho65 »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 06:47:37 AM
Greg posed some great questions.  All the same questions I've asked myself.   They are many of the things I consider when deciding on a new light.   Then honestly because I love lights I threw it all out the window and get what I like  :rofl:.

Zebralight SC52 is the way to go  :rofl:.  Add rechargeable Lithium Ions and you'll be set ( 14500s ).  I got Olight branded ones  :tu:.  They got great reviews and I figured I'll give them a try.  I'm happy I did as I also got the Olight charger. so it all worked out. 

Ok ok, so you want Olight brand flashlight  :salute:.  I really like my S1R that came with a customized Olight battery ( RCR123A  5C) specific to this light .  It goes into the light backward to facilitate the way the light charges with the magnetic charger. 

I don't have the specifics on the battery life but the level of brightness is more awesome.  The size is great as is the pocket clip.  I also love the looks.  That blue bezel is gorgeous.  Great thing is you can use regular CR123A but you wont get the high output.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 06:56:36 AM
Ok one more thing.  I've transitioned to headlights for "around the house" at night use.  I like having my hands free while looking for late night trips for treats, I mean investigating strange noises outside  :whistle:.  I am really liking my Olight Active H05.  Not the brightest but really nice being able to use a variety of cells. 

Esse Quam Videri

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 09:38:41 AM
I just woke up and might have missed something but I can warm-hearted recommend the s10r baton 2 (the one I have) but I guess the one on sale now is the 3 and they improved it and made it brighter. This have been my edc light for a long time and packs a good beam for a small light. I have its big brother the s30r 3 and yes it is brighter but I still prefer the s10r

It's not failure if you learn something from it

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 09:57:48 AM
I'm with Aloha, I find that a head lamp is more useful around the house. That's why I picked up the H1R Nova. It's a head lamp when needed but a good pocket carry when not. It's super bright for its size. However it is a flood light rather than a beam light. I've had very good luck out of mine thus far and I really love the charger.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 10:03:38 AM
I'm a big fan of the S1/S10 family, they can easily be attached to a cap and become a headlamp. Also, you can move the clip over the button to prevent accidental switching on.

If you are not in a rush, you might wanna hold out for the M1R (a bit more rugged)
See video from shot show 2017

Else, I would recommend the Olight S10R Baton III, mostly because I'm a big fan of that charging station.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 11:00:00 AM
How about the H2R :pok: :pok:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 11:43:50 AM
I'd suggest.  The S1R, my most carried so far this year. Magnetic charging base but will work from standard cr123's if needed. Max output of 900 lumens (time limited to 1.5 minutes, it's gets freaking hot!)
300 Lumens it will run for an hour or 12 Lumens 33 hours. It does have a firefly mode and that will run for 15 days.

I leave mine charging by the bed and it goes into my pockets with the rest of my crap
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 12:00:08 PM
I decided I was buying 1 decent light, a do-it-all.

Then Olight came on the market here.

Then they became even more available then another large brand here...

Now everytime I check out the displays, I'm quite attracted to the S1R, but the light running so hot on 900lm is a little deal breaker for me.

Right now I've got a Led Lenser F1R with an output of 1000lm on a single 18650. This one becomes warm, but not hot. Can run the battery out on full power without the light switching back a mode.

But then the S1R is even smaller! And so pocket friendly! :bnghd:

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 12:05:48 PM
I'm really digging my S1A Baton. Takes either a disposable AA cell or one of the 14650 rechargeable ones.

I used to carry an S2 (18650 cell) and while it is quite capable, I like the smaller form factor of the S1A. Been carrying this one since they came out and haven't felt the need to switch to anything else.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 12:05:56 PM
Still so many choices :ahhh

Thanks for the input so far guys :tu: It has helped narrow the list down some :cheers:

but also showed me different options as well :facepalm: :like: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 12:12:26 PM
What is the difference between the S1R and the S1A :think: I know I could go look it up but I am sure some of you will be like :facepalm:  and be able to tell me exactly what the differemces are :cheers:

No one suggesting the Mini so far ??? Just wondering about it :think:

So does the CR123 type batteries or the 18650 or the 14650 seem to have the highest output vs longest runtimes or are they so close it doesn't really matter ??? also do the rechargeables last pretty good (both in overall life and runtime) :think:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 12:13:44 PM

Thanks for the input so far guys :tu: It has helped narrow the list down some :cheers:

I think you're better off looking at what size you want max and go from there.
Pick as much lumens as possible within that size/budget. Better "more then I need" then "it's not enough, I'll just throw it in a drawer"

Rechargeable is really usefull.
If it's USB rechargeable you can always put a powerbank in the car/bag or a spare battery.
My powerbank has a built in solar panel so I can only be without power after a few days of no sun.
Alot of 18650 lights will also take 2 cr123a's, so I've got 2 of those in the glovebox just in case.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 12:19:20 PM
What is the difference between the S1R and the S1A :think: I know I could go look it up but I am sure some of you will be like :facepalm:  and be able to tell me exactly what the differemces are :cheers:

So does the CR123 type batteries or the 18650 or the 14650 seem to have the highest output vs longest runtimes or are they so close it doesn't really matter ??? also do the rechargeables last pretty good (both in overall life and runtime) :think:

S1R cr123, S1A AA battery. The mini (I have all of them, seem to be a limited edition) they also don't have the magnetic tail cap which I have found to more useful than I thought it would be.

Batteries wow I could get this wrong, so I'm going to let someone else who understands electrickery better than what I does  :think:

I do tend to change my rechargeables annually so I treat them as a consumable (which they are).
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 12:22:36 PM

I think you're better off looking at what size you want max and go from there.
Pick as much lumens as possible within that size/budget. Better "more then I need" then "it's not enough, I'll just throw it in a drawer"

Rechargeable is really usefull.
If it's USB rechargeable you can always put a powerbank in the car/bag or a spare battery.
My powerbank has a built in solar panel so I can only be without power after a few days of no sun.
Alot of 18650 lights will also take 2 cr123a's, so I've got 2 of those in the glovebox just in case.

Didn't know that the 123 could go back to back and equal the 18650 :think: Thanks for that tidbit :salute: :like:

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 12:22:51 PM
I still say H2R. It's really not that big... and it's 2300 lumens. I bought mine for $70 shipped.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 12:25:39 PM

S1R cr123, S1A AA battery. The mini (I have all of them, seem to be a limited edition) they also don't have the magnetic tail cap which I have found to more useful than I thought it would be.

Batteries wow I could get this wrong, so I'm going to let someone else who understands electrickery better than what I does  :think:

I do tend to change my rechargeables annually so I treat them as a consumable (which they are).

Could you get a comparison shot of some of them :dd: I am asking this as I think that would also help in my decision making and not at all because I want to see all the pretty lights together :whistle: :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: August 28, 2017, 12:27:16 PM
I still say H2R. It's really not that big... and it's 2300 lumens. I bought mine for $70 shipped.
(Image removed from quote.)

Yes, you have brought that beauty to my attention as well :like: I have already put 1 in my watch list :ahhh :D

It is a very powerful and versatile beast :cheers: :like:

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 28, 2017, 12:29:30 PM

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #23 on: August 28, 2017, 12:30:05 PM
Like this?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: August 28, 2017, 12:39:42 PM
So Smashie what is the reasoning for recommending the S1R over the H2R :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 12:40:35 PM
I do also seem to be understanding some of the letters in the names better now :salute: :like:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #28 on: August 28, 2017, 12:46:30 PM

The H1 & 2 are designed as headlamps, now personally I find the design awkward to use as a 'normal' flash light and it doesn't work for me having the light shine at 90 degrees to what you fix it to with the magnetic tailcap.

oh and https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,70863.msg1478561.html#msg1478561

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: August 28, 2017, 12:54:07 PM

The H1 & 2 are designed as headlamps, now personally I find the design awkward to use as a 'normal' flash light and it doesn't work for me having the light shine at 90 degrees to what you fix it to with the magnetic tailcap.

oh and https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,70863.msg1478561.html#msg1478561

I was wondering if the design of the light was part of the factor :salute: I did wonder how it was in hand as well :cheers:

Also, I had forgotten about that family pic you posted :drool: :drool: :drool: Thanks for the link :cheers: will give me more to ponder over :dd: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%