Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which Olight next?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Which Olight next?
Reply #30 on: August 28, 2017, 04:21:23 PM
Heading off but when I return I will try to address more specifically why I chose the S1R Turbo S model.  I will also attempt to address the battery questions I had prior to getting this light. 

Suffice to say tho the Olight S1R Turbo S model is a terrific little light. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #31 on: August 28, 2017, 06:53:01 PM
If you already have an 18650 battery (and presumably a charger as well) then I'll suggest you could narrow your search down by only looking at lights that take a single 18650 cell.  Single li-ion cells lights are safer than multi-cells (a single cell can't get unbalanced with itself)

Unless you have a BIG backyard then 500 lumens will probably be enough for most purposes, especially in a throwy light.  More lumens than that generates a lot of heat without making a huge difference to illumination in many cases (IIRC twice the lumens only seems like about 30% more light to human eyes).

Most lights that have a zoom function (easily changed from throw to wide angle beam) tend to be on the cheap (and therefore lesser quality) side of things.

Zebralight do make 18650 headlamps, but new they are well above your stated budget.

Be aware that stated/claimed lumens and run-times can be quite misleading (the ANSI lighting standards seem to have been proposed by manufacturers solely to make their lights seem to have MUCH better performance that they actually deliver).  Look for reviews with actual test run-time graphs to see what you will really get.  Most lights will only deliver their max rated lumens for less than 5-10 minutes before brightness drops of considerably (not the 45-60 mins that the manufacturer claims)   :(

These days I find I'm only buying lights that will run properly on low-self-discharge Eneloops (either AA or AAA size).  With modern LEDs and drivers these can have pretty good performance, and they are safer than Li-ions.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: August 28, 2017, 09:30:56 PM
I have it narrowed way down to just a few lights now and will probably end up with all of them in the next few months :facepalm: :D I think I will get the S1R first (turbo S :think: maybe both :D )  then I think I may go for the H2R :dd:  After that who knows :shrug: :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: August 28, 2017, 09:44:19 PM
I do feel as though I have more of an understanding of several of their lights now than I did this morning and it does make a bit more sense now :like: Once I get a few of these lights I think that will also help :cheers: If anyone else has any input, suggestions or advice it will surely also be appreciated though :salute: :like: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: August 28, 2017, 09:49:56 PM
I would like a breakdown of the different battery types by someone in the know sooner or later though :think: :tu: :like:

AA, AAA and similar batteries are all I have used until I recently picked up a cheaper light that had one of the rechargeable 18650 batteries and I like it so far :cheers: Other than that all the numbers can be quite confusing and a bit overwhelming :ahhh Once I figured out that these different cell batteries are interchangable with the more standard battery types but give more output for lights then it really did intrigue me though :dd: :like: Any links for a battery breakdown would be helpful and any tips and tricks are also very welcomed to someone who is a relative newbie to the high end flashlight/torch market :cheers:

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #35 on: August 29, 2017, 04:15:51 AM
The more important number you are looking for is mAH. It is how long the battery will last. The bigger the number the better. The only "gotcha" is sometimes the less expensive larger mAH batteries use the maximum diameter spec and don't fit in some lights (cheap ones).   :rant:
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: August 29, 2017, 07:19:28 AM
I have it narrowed way down to just a few lights now and will probably end up with all of them in the next few months :facepalm: :D I think I will get the S1R first (turbo S :think: maybe both :D )  then I think I may go for the H2R :dd:  After that who knows :shrug: :D

S1R Turbo S v2  :tu:.  The differences are the 600lm mode and the run time on both 600 and 900 mode ( 1.5 min ).   The light is pretty straight forward for those who want a bright light without the fuss of dealing with Lithium cells.  The magnetic charger is easy and fool proof.  The cell should last 500 cycles but as always YMMV.  The cell is a customized RCR123 however CR123s can be used in this light as well I read some others.  You wont be able to charge those other cells with the included magnetic charger tho.  Also the cell that comes with this light is placed in "backwards". 

I have found that the 600 and 900 are very usable for the short quick blast of light.  I also agree the light does get hot but I don't "need" 900lm for long.  A quick burst and back to 300 for me.  I love strobe and this light doesn't disappoint. 

Let me also say that the Zebralight SC5 would also make a great choice.  It runs AA Eneloop Pros and is 500+lm.  I run 14500s in my Zebralight SC52 and get some serious lumen 500+.  I want to say the great thing about the ZL is within each mode there is a secondary mode you can access. 

Light Output (runtimes)
High:         H1 300 Lm (0.9 hrs)   or    H2  184 Lm (1.7 hrs) / 116 Lm (3 hrs)
Medium:    M1 54 Lm (7.5 hrs)    or    M2   27 Lm (12 hrs) / 13 Lm (27 hrs)
Low:         L1   2.9 Lm (4 days)   or    L2   0.36 Lm (3 weeks) / 0.06 Lm (2 months) / 0.01 Lm (3 months)
Beacon Strobe Mode: 4Hz Strobe at H1 / 19Hz Strobe at H1

Light output are ANSI out the front (OTF) values. Runtimes tested (and parasitic drain estimated) using Sanyo 2000mAh Eneloop AA batteries. Light output with 14500 batteries are the same except that the H1 is 535Lm for the first minute and then step down to 300Lm.

So when you are using the medium 27lm mode but need just a bit more you double click and go to 54lm. Same goes for low and high.  I really like this feature and UI.  I can access high or moonlight easily, strobe too.

Anyway, I think the S1R is a really nice light and pretty fools proof when it comes to the battery it uses.  The magnetic charger makes it super easy.   

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 07:25:17 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: August 29, 2017, 11:56:31 AM
I ended up getting a S1R Turbo :ahhh

Now the wait :facepalm: I believe I will like this light and can''t wait to try it out :cheers: In the winter I leave home before sunrise and get home after sunset ::) So it will see more use then but I do get out around the house after dark some in the summer as well :rofl:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: August 29, 2017, 11:59:03 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys :tu: I will probably end up with a few of the other suggestions as well :facepalm: :D but it will be a while before I get another light :salute:

Now to go and wait at the mailbox.........

:wait:

:D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: August 29, 2017, 04:08:11 PM
I think you will be very happy.  I really like mine. and the light itself is quite attractive.  The pocket clip is a really nice one IMO and if you wear a hat it works wonderfully.  The battery it takes can be replaced quite reasonably as well.  I think a 2 pack is $15 which should last quite some time.  I really like being able to charge SIMPLY.  No special charger, no multimeter to check "doneness"  :D, just plug into a USB and go.  The UI is straight forward.  The modes are more than spaced right and it has a lock out feature which is nice and simple to activate and deactivate.  Did I mention its a lovely looking light? 

I like the size too, both width and height.  Its fat enough for my meat hooks yet not chubby.  Its short enough yet not stubby.  Those are technical descriptions Poncho  :D.

I've not used mine continually to test battery life but I've only recharged mine once so far.  Did I mention how much I like the simplicity of the charging?   Some complaints on the light were people not easily being able to locate the button.  I positioned my pocket clip opposite the button so its never been an issue for me.  Some have positioned the clip over the button to act as a deterrent to accidentally turning it on.  That works really well tho the lock out is just as easy IMO. 

Congrats and enjoy the wait.  BTW I think the light is really fairly priced for what you get.       
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: August 30, 2017, 04:47:27 AM
Thanks for the technical description as they seemed to not have caught the essence of the light as you have :D

I am super stoked as it is the first better/nicer lights that I have bought :salute: I have several lights but most are on the cheaper side ::) :D Even the I3E EOS ones I have are cheaper albeit high quality lights (still probably doesn't compare with brightness at all though) :think: :D

Can't wait to see how this light is in action :dd:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #41 on: August 30, 2017, 06:10:17 AM
Congrats. Can't wait to hear what you think. Once I found Olight I was in love. I still love my Zebralights and such but Olight is just as good if not better in my opinion.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: August 30, 2017, 06:38:16 AM
Thanks for the technical description as they seemed to not have caught the essence of the light as you have :D

I am super stoked as it is the first better/nicer lights that I have bought :salute: I have several lights but most are on the cheaper side ::) :D Even the I3E EOS ones I have are cheaper albeit high quality lights (still probably doesn't compare with brightness at all though) :think: :D

These nicer higher quality lights are totally worth it.  I think they're pretty decently priced too. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: August 31, 2017, 01:18:07 AM
Congrats. Can't wait to hear what you think. Once I found Olight I was in love. I still love my Zebralights and such but Olight is just as good if not better in my opinion.

Unless it gets lost in the mail tonight or tomorrow then it should be at my house tomorrow evening waiting on me :dd: :like:

I will definitely post my thoughts of it :tu: Maybe an initial impression then after a while some more thoughts :salute: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #44 on: August 31, 2017, 01:19:56 AM

These nicer higher quality lights are totally worth it.  I think they're pretty decently priced too.

Yes, the Olights are priced very well compared to some others :tu: :like: Can't wait :ahhh :mail: :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: August 31, 2017, 11:52:38 AM
goinggear.com has currently 20-40% off on Olight
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: August 31, 2017, 12:00:38 PM
goinggear.com has currently 20-40% off on Olight

Nice find Eth :salute: :like: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: September 01, 2017, 12:13:15 PM
Well I got the S1R yesterday in the mail :mail: and initial thoughts are

Wow that is a lot smaller than I thought it would be :ahhh Yeah I know pfrsantos will be all over that one ::) :facepalm:

But the size of the light has nothing to do with how much light this little sucker throws :o I charged it some and they took it off just to see what it can do :cheers: I am amazed with how bright it is on regular mode let alone the turbo and turbo s mode  :ahhh I turned off the light in the room to see how bright it was and it was almost like I had the light on in the room :dd:  The guy I bought this from also threw in  a diffuser wand in white :cheers: I am pleasantly surprized that it can light an area up very well :tu: The moonlight mode will also come in handy I think as well :like: I am very pleased with this purchase and will have some thoughts on this light a little later :cheers:

Thanks for the help on this one guys :salute: :like:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: September 01, 2017, 12:23:51 PM
Awesome!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #50 on: September 01, 2017, 03:35:06 PM
Great to hear.  Those diffuser caps are really nice to have.  I was pleasantly surprised the size of the light.  Its always so hard to determine scale even when looking at pictures.

This light is made to work fully with the 550 mAh Olight RCR123 (5C ) only and not the 650 mAh RCR123.  The 550 mAh RCR123 (5C ) is a specialized IMR battery with positive and negative contacts on one end that allow for both a high current to power the max output as well as the built-in charging.  A regular CR123 or RCR123 will work in the light, but you will not have access to all of the outputs or the built-in charging.  An IMR RCR123 from another brand will work in the light, but you will not have access to the built-in charging.

If you decide to buy spare batteries I thought this was worth reminded you.  I wont be using other batteries in this light and will be picking up spares soon.  It'll be nice to have a couple on hand.   Fall is fast approaching and this light should get a nice workout from you.   

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: September 02, 2017, 12:55:56 AM
Great to hear.  Those diffuser caps are really nice to have.  I was pleasantly surprised the size of the light.  Its always so hard to determine scale even when looking at pictures.

This light is made to work fully with the 550 mAh Olight RCR123 (5C ) only and not the 650 mAh RCR123.  The 550 mAh RCR123 (5C ) is a specialized IMR battery with positive and negative contacts on one end that allow for both a high current to power the max output as well as the built-in charging.  A regular CR123 or RCR123 will work in the light, but you will not have access to all of the outputs or the built-in charging.  An IMR RCR123 from another brand will work in the light, but you will not have access to the built-in charging.

If you decide to buy spare batteries I thought this was worth reminded you.  I wont be using other batteries in this light and will be picking up spares soon.  It'll be nice to have a couple on hand.   Fall is fast approaching and this light should get a nice workout from you.

I think I will hold off getting spare batteries for now and see how the light does on it's own with the one battery :tu: Thanks for the heads up about the battery though :salute:  I love how bright this little light is and really can't wait to get out and use it some :like: :like: I will go with Olight brand batteries for sure though when the time comes :cheers: :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #52 on: September 03, 2017, 01:50:46 AM
Couple pics of my S1R :dd:

0902171500d by Poncho 65, on Flickr

0902171500_Burst01 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: November 27, 2018, 07:00:28 PM
Never put anymore thoughts of this light in here :whistle: I have misplaced this light and cant find it anywhere though :facepalm: I really did like this light and so much liked it that I have a newer model of it coming in the mail :ahhh I am looking forward to see a newer clip on this and it is up to 1000Lm now :o I have also added another light or 2 of the Olight brand as well and will give some thoughts on them as well :tu: Just have to remember the numbers of them first :facepalm: so if I remember I will add thoughts this time ::) :D

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #54 on: November 28, 2018, 04:14:08 AM
was very tempted to get an S1R ii, but I still have S1r, a few s10;s and sminis from previous years, so it seemed ridiculous to buy another, was able to snag a couple of free I1r and i3e(had my mom order it, was 1 per person  :salute:)after their site got back up and running, but I managed to avoid buying stuff for the most part this BF.

Got a few blu rays, from best buy, the 2 free lights($10 shipping tho) Gerber dime for $5, Crkt minimalist $13, and a Sanrenmu land 910 from GB for $12 that was it, good deals and wallet still doing good.

let us know what you think of new model Poncho

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: November 28, 2018, 04:44:20 AM
Should get it either tomorrow or the next day :salute:

I got in on the free lights plus shipping as well :tu:

I received the I1REOS this evening and am very impressed by it :o at almost half the length of the I3EEOS lights it has more lumens and is rechargeable :like:

it with a Maglite Solitaire for reference

another pic for size reference

and a lineup with both Mags and Olights in order from left to right Maglite XL50, Olight I3TEOS in copper :dd: , 3 Maglite Solitaires, an Olight I3SEOS in titanium gold, a I3EEOS in copper and lastly the I1REOS :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #56 on: November 28, 2018, 04:54:23 AM
These next 3 lights I really like mainly cause I dig the copper look ::) :D

The I3E 120 lumens

The I3S 180 lumens

The I3T 180 lumens

All run on AAA batteries and have very nice amount of brightness for each :like: I really love the clip of the I3T as it can clip well in pocket and on my hat for a makeshift headlamp :tu:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 03:59:37 PM by Poncho65 »

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: November 28, 2018, 04:55:54 AM
Nice line up! I have the same 2 smaller copper lights I think 1 is brass tho, been using the the I3r on keys for about 3 months, really like it, just wish it had a replaceable battery

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #58 on: November 28, 2018, 05:05:51 AM
Nice line up! I have the same 2 smaller copper lights I think 1 is brass tho, been using the the I3r on keys for about 3 months, really like it, just wish it had a replaceable battery

It says copper but I bought it as titanium gold :think: which may just be a fancy word for brass ::) :D not really sure but it doesn't look copper and it hasn't tarnished like copper at all :D

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: November 28, 2018, 05:47:18 AM
weird, I think it's the same as mine from this thread https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,70228.0.html from awhile back, 2nd post, I know it has the PVD coating, but maybe you have the raw version

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%