Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Forged pliers - Why not?

Offline zapikank86

Forged pliers - Why not?
on: August 30, 2017, 03:49:23 AM
So apparently Stanley brand at Walmart has forged pliers for super cheap. Why cant Leatherman have forged pliers? People say "cost", but Stanley has 6 inch drop-forged pliers for about $4.  Really, go to Walmart and look on the back of the product. Drop-forged pliers. It's pretty hard to believe that even after all the Leatherman price increases over the years that they still cant afford a single drop-forging machine. Or even machine the pliers out of cold rolled bar-stock.  I like Leatherman, but they seem to be lazy and dont seem to listen to people complaining about snapping pliers.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 03:53:50 AM by zapikank86 »

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Re: Forged pliers - Why not?
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 04:42:05 AM
So apparently Stanley brand at Walmart has forged pliers for super cheap. Why cant Leatherman have forged pliers? People say "cost", but Stanley has 6 inch drop-forged pliers for about $4.  Really, go to Walmart and look on the back of the product. Drop-forged pliers. It's pretty hard to believe that even after all the Leatherman price increases over the years that they still cant afford a single drop-forging machine. Or even machine the pliers out of cold rolled bar-stock.  I like Leatherman, but they seem to be lazy and dont seem to listen to people complaining about snapping pliers.

$4 is probably sale price of Chinese-made pliers. I think Leatherman pliers are imported? Your Leatherman tool goes thru a lot of American hands before it get to you. At each step, there is a cost associated to it. Not to mention, a percentage of the price you pay is pretty much "pre-paid" warranty cost, as 10% of Leatherman works is on warranty alone. I recall a company produced multi tools with pliers machined out of billets. The sticker price is quite shocking. Can't remember its name. 

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 11:51:45 AM

$4 is probably sale price of Chinese-made pliers. I think Leatherman pliers are imported? Your Leatherman tool goes thru a lot of American hands before it get to you. At each step, there is a cost associated to it. Not to mention, a percentage of the price you pay is pretty much "pre-paid" warranty cost, as 10% of Leatherman works is on warranty alone. I recall a company produced multi tools with pliers machined out of billets. The sticker price is quite shocking. Can't remember its name.

Was it the Multitaskers machined from billet? I think they too were Chinese made. Expensive, tacticool, and no scissors. Three reasons for me to leave them alone.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 01:01:32 PM

Was it the Multitaskers machined from billet? I think they too were Chinese made. Expensive, tacticool, and no scissors. Three reasons for me to leave them alone.
I only need one reason: tacticool.  ::)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24