Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Super Tinker to Pioneer X...By Accident

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Re: Super Tinker to Pioneer X...By Accident
Reply #30 on: September 01, 2017, 04:02:08 AM
Unfortunately, I only have one hard bound book in the house so I had to use soft bound book to pair with. Here's the result. I think it flattened a few nanometers

Anyway, I just found out yesterday that the local Victorinox shop in our country will replace scales for free if they deem it manufacturing defect. I'll try to show them this SAK and maybe they'll replace the scales for free  :D

But I do have a translucent scales coming this afternoon and am still thinking whether to put them on my naked Tinker or Super Tinker  :think:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 04:04:44 AM by an0nemus »

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: September 01, 2017, 04:42:10 AM
I've recycled scales many times with and without heat.  I find with JUST A LITTLE heat (I use a hair dryer) the spaces for the rivets on the inside of the cellidor are less likely to splinter or chip.   I wish I had a vice but I don't, I just use my hands and they always sit flush.

Sorry the scales got warped, dude!  It'll bounce back.  :D  You can always find some more used knives/scales and refinish too, sometimes cheaper than buying new scales...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 04:44:39 AM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #32 on: September 01, 2017, 04:57:27 AM
I've recycled scales many times with and without heat.  I find with JUST A LITTLE heat (I use a hair dryer) the spaces for the rivets on the inside of the cellidor are less likely to splinter or chip.   I wish I had a vice but I don't, I just use my hands and they always sit flush.

Sorry the scales got warped, dude!  It'll bounce back.  :D  You can always find some more used knives/scales and refinish too, sometimes cheaper than buying new scales...

I actually enjoy that the scales came battleworn, Dan, as I like tools that show heavy use and still retain their toughness. Plus, I'm really having a fun time learning about the ins and outs of my SAKs and how to take care of them and even customizing them. Its part of the SAK bug experience  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: September 01, 2017, 05:02:27 AM
 :like:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #34 on: September 01, 2017, 07:03:23 AM
Let me just be clear in saying I know SAK scales come off easier with minimal material lost around the hole for the rivet collar. All I was saying is I don't find it necessary when changing SAK scales as I only intend to swap out a set of scales once or twice at most so it is not a issue. Obviously the heating merhod is better for the scales.

Pertaining to the "standing on it" method to reinstall the scales. I usually do not find this necessary as I can get them flush by squeezing them with my palms. If not I have stood and "bounced" (should of used that word originally :P) with great results and no adverse effects. Wrap in a towel if you are worried.

Thanks for listening.  ;)
I'm the milk man!

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #35 on: September 01, 2017, 07:31:52 AM
Let me just be clear in saying I know SAK scales come off easier with minimal material lost around the hole for the rivet collar. All I was saying is I don't find it necessary when changing SAK scales as I only intend to swap out a set of scales once or twice at most so it is not a issue. Obviously the heating merhod is better for the scales.

Pertaining to the "standing on it" method to reinstall the scales. I usually do not find this necessary as I can get them flush by squeezing them with my palms. If not I have stood and "bounced" (should of used that word originally ) with great results and no adverse effects. Wrap in a towel if you are worried.

Thanks for listening.  ;)

its all in the interest of science, captain! :D I did your method awhile ago. I even placed it against a wall and pressed hard on the scales with my palm. Good thing I'm dealing with a used scales so I don't mind scratching and bending them. Later today I'll be getting a brand new one and see how it goes in terms of installation  :-\

What I'll be getting, scales and rings

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #36 on: September 01, 2017, 07:45:15 AM
You did it with the warped scales?
I'm the milk man!

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #37 on: September 01, 2017, 07:54:54 AM
You did it with the warped scales?

Ah, no. The warped cellidor scales are permanently hidden in my toolbag. I used a used translucent scales in the pictures that Ive been posting today.

The blue scales that I'll be getting today will go to my Super Tinker  :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 08:21:31 AM by an0nemus »

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: September 01, 2017, 11:28:52 AM
Don't boil the scales Bro... just soak them in luke warm water... That should be enough...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that even. I never found it necessary to heat the scales before removal.
I was planning on recycling the Super Tinker's scales and use them for the Tinker, captain

Even so. I have never found the need to heat them. Even without heat they will snap back on the next SAK without issue and hold properly. Just my experience though.
Twas just that I read others experiences saying the scales weren't tight anymore when reused.

I'll try your technique in my future upgrade

To be honest i've never really agreed much with this "need" to warm up or heat the scales in order to take them off...  :facepalm:
If they are vintage solid scales it may help to soak the knife in lukewarm water but that's it, because they are not as elastic as the newer hollow ones and there for will "give" away less when removing them leading to more material being ripped of from the holes by the bushings.

As we all know the scales on the Cellidor (nylon) models are hold by tight fit pressure of the holes in the scales in the brass bushings by the sharp edged "lip" of the bushing, that literally digs into the cellidor hole sides very tightly and holds the scales in place. When removing a scale, no matter what you do, the edge of the bushing will always remove (rip off) a measure of cellidor (may it be more or less, or even small chips on the solid ones), because it's like digging your knife edge firmly into a bit of soft plastic and then pulling the plastic upwards, it will obviously give a little when it pops out of place but it will always shave some plastic off coming up.

In some cases if it rips a small amount the scale may be reused without the need for glue, it may have an acceptable grip on the scale but it will never hold it as good as when  it was new because some material has been removed.
It may not bother many people, but in my case being a bit of a perfectionist (some may say OCD...  :facepalm:) and hating loose or wobbly scales i always use a very small amount of glue when reusing scales.

I just open the corkscrew or Phillips, take out the toothpick and tweezers. I use a tiny flathead and insert it in one of the slots and gently lift until it's gapped enough to get a SAK blade in. Then just run the blade down until it hits the rivet. Gently twist the blade until it pops off. Repeat this with the other two pivots and your good to go. When putting the scales back on another SAK of you cannot get them all the way on just literally place the knife on the ground and stand on it and jump slightly until the scales seat properly.

Whot...??  :sa: :o

Stand on it and jump on it...? I can't agree on that... If you want a scale to sit properly and perfectly, meaning sit completely flush and strait (no shred of gap visible anywhere) between the scale and the liner you'll need a vice or a clamp, and clamp the scales down on each rivet slowly until it's flush, hold it there for a few minutes (because plastic is elastic and needs a moment to stabilize in place under pressure) and then slowly release pressure, and if there is still any gap repeat the process until it's gone (if possible of course...). Jumping on your Sak is a good way to getting it damaged or breaking a scale IMHO...

Of course using a vice is preffered but for those who do not have one (myself) standing on it is a option that cost you nothing. When I say jump I don't mean jumping up in the air and slamming your foot down on the knife I just mean slightly jumping and barely if any lifting your foot. It's just to give a bit of a nudge of pressure to seat the scales. I have been doing this for years and never even came close to breaking or even cracking a scale. They are very durable. I would never even second guess doing this. Again, just my experience on this.

I understand your point, and if it works good enough for you with this method on the end result, great  :cheers:

I'm not saying it's wrong, only that IMO it's not the best or the preferable way to get a perfect result. Like i said, i'm a bit of a perfectionist and detail freek  :facepalm: and i hate to see gaps between the scales and the liners, and by gaps i mean "zero" space between them, like put the sak against the light and get no light coming through between the scale and the liner anywhere (something you even don't see from factory in some sak's) . I've seen a lot of pics here of sak's after scale changes with those gaps, sometime big ones.
A vice or a clamp will always allow you to apply force in a more controlled fashion and hold that grip for a while if needed other than your hands or feet.
A clamp or small vice are very cheap and will allow a more perfect and detailed job IMO. I have both but if i haven't i would certainly go out and buy one of the in order to do it, and had the bonus of keeping that tool that will always come in handy for other jobs too   :pok:

Again, this is just personal opinion and the way i like to do things, there are no right or wrong ways here, what ever it works and gets the job done is all good  :cheers:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #39 on: September 03, 2017, 04:04:04 AM
Okay so last night I visited my local hardware to look for tools to use. I found these but eventually decided not to buy anything as I won't be needing any regularly

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #40 on: September 03, 2017, 04:08:41 AM
And this morning I finally got my new scales and went to a local machine shop and asked to use their equipment. I initially tried to install the scales by hand pressure but they're too tight. So I brought along a face towel and gently pressed on the scales. Voilà!

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #41 on: September 03, 2017, 04:11:31 AM
Thanks to all who replied for sharing your thoughts and experiences! MTO FTW!

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #42 on: September 03, 2017, 04:27:42 AM
Nice :like:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #43 on: September 03, 2017, 04:29:27 AM

Thanks, Jaya! In the future, this will be a candidate for  Ti scales  :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: September 03, 2017, 04:58:46 AM
Good work! Looks great. I have a Saphire TInker and I just love the way those scales look.  :clap:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #45 on: September 03, 2017, 05:07:33 AM
Good work! Looks great. I have a Saphire TInker and I just love the way those scales look.  :clap:

Thanks, Nix! I'm liking my first blue SAK also, even if I'm partial to red. Using the clamp really put even pressure on the scales and made the process smooth  :tu:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #46 on: September 03, 2017, 05:40:05 AM

Thanks, Jaya! In the future, this will be a candidate for  Ti scales  :D
:popcorn:

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #47 on: September 03, 2017, 05:56:05 AM
Nice job An0nemus!

Love those blue scales as well, gorgeous.

Reading some of this thread I almost feel guilty. When I did a big scale swap on several of my SAK's I had the advantage of a small vice out in the garage. If folks are having issue, I'd almost recommend finding a neighbor or someone that does have a vice. I have a small electronics style with suction cup bottom and I don't think too expensive, of course if you're only changing on a knife or two probably not worth it. But, being able to gently apply even pressure sure is a blessing.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #48 on: September 03, 2017, 06:24:13 AM
 :tu: :like:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #49 on: September 03, 2017, 06:46:26 AM
Nice job An0nemus!

Love those blue scales as well, gorgeous.

Reading some of this thread I almost feel guilty. When I did a big scale swap on several of my SAK's I had the advantage of a small vice out in the garage. If folks are having issue, I'd almost recommend finding a neighbor or someone that does have a vice. I have a small electronics style with suction cup bottom and I don't think too expensive, of course if you're only changing on a knife or two probably not worth it. But, being able to gently apply even pressure sure is a blessing.
Good thing I live in an area with some nearby machine shops around

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #50 on: September 03, 2017, 06:49:32 AM
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 06:51:29 AM by an0nemus »

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: September 03, 2017, 12:32:33 PM
Very nice job you've done there mete   :hatsoff: :cheers:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #52 on: September 03, 2017, 03:11:39 PM

Coming from you, its a great honor Mr Angus!  :cheers:

:D

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: September 03, 2017, 08:56:27 PM

Coming from you, its a great honor Mr Angus!  :cheers:

(Image removed from quote.)

:D

:rofl:    :cheers:

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: September 03, 2017, 09:13:39 PM

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Very nice!   :salute:

When I started buying used SAKs, I soaked 'em in 120degree water to clean and get the scales off. I used screw C-clamps to put the scales back on. Then I purchased a drill press vice for $20, which made the whole operation simpler. Then two years ago, I found the VacuVise at a flea market for $10...it needed a lot of cleaning/oil to get working, but now is smooth operating, but the vacuum base still doesn't work.
20170903_114556.jpg
* 20170903_114556.jpg (Filesize: 210.02 KB)
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #55 on: September 04, 2017, 12:23:45 AM

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Very nice!   :salute:

When I started buying used SAKs, I soaked 'em in 120degree water to clean and get the scales off. I used screw C-clamps to put the scales back on. Then I purchased a drill press vice for $20, which made the whole operation simpler. Then two years ago, I found the VacuVise at a flea market for $10...it needed a lot of cleaning/oil to get working, but now is smooth operating, but the vacuum base still doesn't work.

I'll be keeping my eyes open from hereon for vises in our flea market. Scoring one for $10 is worth the investment  :cheers:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #56 on: September 04, 2017, 02:27:27 AM
I scored a similar vice for around $10 brand new (the one on the left) at a local hardware store. Used it not only to clamp scales but for mod work as well... I even use it as a base for my lansky sharpener... :cheers:

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #57 on: September 04, 2017, 04:46:24 AM
I think the one I got is a Bessy from Home Depot. Just looked it up and it's $28. There are other new ones, even less expensive that clamp to a table top or workbench.
For SAK scales, the WEN 4" for $11.79 looks like it would get the job done,
or maybe the Olympia 3" clamp vice for $14.39
So, definitely some affordable ones out there, again though if you're only switching scales on 1 or 2 SAKs probably not worth the bother.
I like my Bessy because it swivels in so many directions. Very convenient for holding items to be soldered, but my no means a "powerful" vice :)

Vice.JPG
* Vice.JPG (Filesize: 186.72 KB)

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #58 on: September 04, 2017, 05:04:02 AM
Lots of affordable choices, I see. I'm also liking the vise that SwissBianco uses

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%