Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do the Victorinox Scissors dull?

us Offline Zhenchok

Do the Victorinox Scissors dull?
on: August 30, 2017, 08:09:02 PM
I read somewhere that they are self sharpening, do they really self sharpen or do they eventually need to be resharpened?
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Re: Do the Victorinox Scissors dull?
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 08:21:08 PM
I read somewhere that they are self sharpening, do they really self sharpen or do they eventually need to be resharpened?
I had understood it was the Wenger scissors which were self sharpening.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 08:33:53 PM
They most definitely do dull. My wife was using the scissors on my well used Compact last weekend and commented on how dull they were. She switched to her Yeoman and it was like night and day.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 08:36:52 PM
And how does that work exactly? What is this magic that makes the Wenger scissors self sharpen, while no other scissors I have ever seen seem to do this.

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 09:50:03 PM
And how does that work exactly? What is this magic that makes the Wenger scissors self sharpen, while no other scissors I have ever seen seem to do this.

Maybe something to do with the unique lever design and serrations?  :think:

Vic scissors most definitely dull, but you can sharpen them.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 09:54:41 PM

What is unique about the lever design? They look like they rotate on a rivet just like the Vic scissors to me. And how exactly do serrations self sharpen? ???

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 09:57:47 PM

What is unique about the lever design? They look like they rotate on a rivet just like the Vic scissors to me. And how exactly do serrations self sharpen? ???

just guessing, I really have no idea...

I've never seen scissors designed like that anywhere else...
73469-004-A2552B58.jpg
* 73469-004-A2552B58.jpg (Filesize: 50.12 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 09:12:36 AM
Just guessing but the serrations probably work to remove burrs.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 09:15:35 AM
That makes sense. The serrations do somewhat remind me of the grooved texture on a honing steel rod.

... But then wouldn't it be technically more correct to say the Wenger scissors are self honing rather than self sharpening?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 09:24:02 AM
That makes sense. The serrations do somewhat remind me of the grooved texture on a honing steel rod.

... But then wouldn't it be technically more correct to say the Wenger scissors are self honing rather than self sharpening?
How many non-knife enthusiasts understand what honing is? :shrug:
Sharpening is easier to understand, even if its not exactly accurate.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 09:50:59 AM
I have never owned a pair of Wenger scissors but I'm quite sure that "self-sharpening" is just marketing nonsense. Possibly more accurate would be "dulls to the point of being functionally useless at a slower rate" but that doesn't really sound all that appealing ::)
A dull serrated knife can still cut, albeit not in an elegant way. So I imagine the same to be true with scissors.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 09:57:01 AM
I have never owned a pair of Wenger scissors but I'm quite sure that "self-sharpening" is just marketing nonsense. Possibly more accurate would be "dulls to the point of being functionally useless at a slower rate" but that doesn't really sound all that appealing ::)
A dull serrated knife can still cut, albeit not in an elegant way. So I imagine the same to be true with scissors.
That is highly likely. I remember when I was a kid I encountered a knife set at the Sharper Image store in the mall that claimed they would never go dull. They were just serrated knives. The entire set was serrated, even the chef knife. They were probably a pretty cheap soft steel that would go dull rather quickly too. It always puzzled me how a set of knives could never dull. Kid me thought they must be made out of some sort of super indestructo-steel. Until I got older and realized it was bullsmurf. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:04:26 AM by GoatDragon »

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 12:11:59 PM

I find that the biggest problem with the Wenger scissors is that the result will never be elegant. They seem much less elegant than their Victorinox cousins and will leave nails fraying due to the serrations but hey are also thicker stock and will not get close enough to cut peeling cuticles (something the Vic 58 & 74 mm are great at) and other similar things

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 01:13:17 PM

I find that the biggest problem with the Wenger scissors is that the result will never be elegant. They seem much less elegant than their Victorinox cousins and will leave nails fraying due to the serrations but hey are also thicker stock and will not get close enough to cut peeling cuticles (something the Vic 58 & 74 mm are great at) and other similar things
Cutting peeling cuticles?  :dwts:

All hail the hook!

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 01:45:50 PM

Yeah, when the skin starts peeling a bit at the edges of the nails. I prefer cutting them short (flush) so they wont drag and peel further. Usually puts an instant stop to the peeling without hurting since it's only dead skin I'll be cutting off.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 01:54:09 PM

Yeah, when the skin starts peeling a bit at the edges of the nails. I prefer cutting them short (flush) so they wont drag and peel further. Usually puts an instant stop to the peeling without hurting since it's only dead skin I'll be cutting off.
I know what you mean now.  :tu:

All hail the hook!

us Offline KandiKlover

• Classic SD - SwissChamp
Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 03:28:09 PM
It's not just Wenger, I seen that self-shaepening thing on some online stores for Victorinox SAKs too. :twak: :twak: :twak:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 04:06:01 PM
Probably the Victorinox Delemont range, which used to be the Wenger models ...

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 04:11:06 PM
Yeah, it's not normal. It'd probably be better to find the cause and treat that rather than just repeatedly snipping skin off the top of your fingers. It might be indicative of other health problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: August 31, 2017, 04:26:00 PM
Yeah, it's not normal. It'd probably be better to find the cause and treat that rather than just repeatedly snipping skin off the top of your fingers. It might be indicative of other health problems.

See the later post. He apparently means the little bits of dead skin that curl up on your fingers along the sides of the nail, if you know what I mean.

All hail the hook!

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 31, 2017, 04:31:38 PM

See the later post. He apparently means the little bits of dead skin that curl up on your fingers along the sides of the nail, if you know what I mean.

Yeah, I did a quick google search for "skin near nails peeling" to find a good term for it and the first couple of post suggested it had to do with broken cuticles. Actually looking at the pictures says it doesn't.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 04:35:06 PM
Back on the topic, every kind of cutting tool blunts. Many (most?) can be resharpened in one way or another. I would guess that the Wenger scissors would be a nightmare to resharpen if they did go blunt.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #22 on: August 31, 2017, 04:51:26 PM
What about the files on my various SAKs? Will they go dull with extended use (assuming I never use them on anything super hard and just file soft things like my nails and maybe plastic or wood.) Because files are impossible to sharpen.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 31, 2017, 05:03:31 PM
What about the files on my various SAKs? Will they go dull with extended use (assuming I never use them on anything super hard and just file soft things like my nails and maybe plastic or wood.) Because files are impossible to sharpen.

Files do deteriorate yes, but with the use you describe it should be negligible. They are built to use so it makes sense to use them and to be fair, assuming reasonable use, I would probably have considered the tool to have paid itself off long before the file gives out.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 31, 2017, 06:13:15 PM
I never expected this thread to become a nail care seminar :facepalm:
 :D

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #25 on: September 03, 2017, 08:04:12 PM

Yeah, I know what he meant. Using harsh soap, detergents, or other chemicals can cause it. There can be dietary causes too, but usually it's from harsh detergents/chemicals.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #26 on: September 03, 2017, 08:05:08 PM
I never expected this thread to become a nail care seminar :facepalm:
 :D
LOL! Nope!
I do medical. I don't do hair, makeup, or nails. Ha ha!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: September 03, 2017, 08:26:50 PM

Yeah, I know what he meant. Using harsh soap, detergents, or other chemicals can cause it. There can be dietary causes too, but usually it's from harsh detergents/chemicals.

Maybe dry skin too?  :think:

All hail the hook!

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: September 03, 2017, 11:43:17 PM

That's my guess, I feel like it's more common in winter and I believe it's due to the dry air.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: September 04, 2017, 12:15:22 AM

That's my guess, I feel like it's more common in winter and I believe it's due to the dry air.
From the heating apparatus?

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31