Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Confession: I don't get the Executive

Nix · 288 · 16178

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Confession: I don't get the Executive
Reply #180 on: September 08, 2017, 03:53:21 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

It would make more sense if they named it the "Fruitman".

In the other thread where I'm trying to decide which SAK to load into my FAK, perhaps I should look at the Executive tool set with an eye toward medical application.

In which medical scenario do you see a FAK needing two (2) tiny blades and an orange peeler? Heavy calluses? Plantar warts?  (Image removed from quote.)
There ya go!
They should rename it the "Podiatrist"!

Or the "dermatologist"--YIKES!

Yeah, I dunno.
I was just trying to make the Executive logical.

I guess I'll vote for "Fruitman".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 03:56:41 PM by Tired_Yeti »

fi Offline Padre

Re: Confession: I don't get the Executive
Reply #181 on: September 08, 2017, 04:12:33 PM
Executive is a fun tool, but yeah, it doesnt make any sense over the stylish Ambassador. If you have Classic on steroids, you wont need much else.

Ambassador is the best tool around if you need just scissors and blade, Climber is bulky and Classic is just too small. Ambassador fits just between as we have no scissors on 85mm range right now.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #182 on: September 08, 2017, 04:35:12 PM
...we have no scissors on 85mm range right now.

Sad, but true. Victorinox, are you listening?

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #183 on: September 08, 2017, 04:48:27 PM
The executive seems odd to me as well. Why put a driver on the end of a blade?? That's weird. Why not put the driver on the end of the file? In regards to the orange peeler, why not make that a small serrated blade.
If they made a 74mm version of the Rambler I'd be sold.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #184 on: September 08, 2017, 04:52:55 PM
...we have no scissors on 85mm range right now.

Sad, but true. Victorinox, are you listening? (Image removed from quote.)

Yes we do  :pok: it's the 84mm that doesn't  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #185 on: September 08, 2017, 04:53:50 PM
The executive seems odd to me as well. Why put a driver on the end of a blade?? That's weird. Why not put the driver on the end of the file? In regards to the orange peeler, why not make that a small serrated blade.

That would be quite special

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #186 on: September 08, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

That would be quite special
I'd buy one if they replaced the blade with an orange peeler.  :whistle: :rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #187 on: September 08, 2017, 05:20:53 PM
 :facepalm:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #188 on: September 08, 2017, 05:38:56 PM
The Classic.  What a great SAK.  it really should be on every keychain.  Whats not to love?  Good blade, good scissors, file/driver, T&T.

The Ambassador.  "Larger" Classic ( non SD ).  I'd say the Classic is a "better" choice.  Smaller more compact with only the scissors being the real difference IMO.  The 74mm scissor are a nice goldilocks size for me.  Well that and the 84mm. 

The Excutive.  Here's where it gets interesting.  Lets toss out the scissors and larger blade for a moment.  Lets also toss out the T&T.  Seems the tools that raise questions are the orange peeler, small blade, and the file ( ? ). 
Orange peeler, What other SAK tool is this unique?  I mean its basically a flat driver with a cutting edge.  That cutting edge is serrated which to my mind is more than useful.  Sure its the tip only but think about how a small blade is used?  The tip is precise and with the serrations at the tip it becomes a very precise cutting tool on materials serrations excel.  Small blade, is merely a means to keep your main blade from all the chores your blades go thru.  You can also use the larger blade for "clean" and the smaller one for "dirty" chores. 
The file has a tip that works on phillips.  To me thats a bonus but the file is what I like.  There are times when a file just makes sense.  While the Classic and Ambassador have them they are not like the Excutive.  The file is nice enoug for nail care while still being able to do work on plastics, rubber, and other like materials.

Is carrying a tool that has these extra features worth it?  This is such a difficult question to answer.  Does your day to day have you wanting a file, serrated blade, and larger scissors than a Classic?     
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #189 on: September 08, 2017, 06:25:06 PM
Orange peeler, What other SAK tool is this unique?  I mean its basically a flat driver with a cutting edge.     

When the Boker+ Tech Tools (is that what they're called?) put a Phillips driver on the end of a serrated blade, we quite rightly laughed them out of the park. Driver's don't belong on blades or on files. Sorry  :)

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #190 on: September 08, 2017, 06:58:35 PM
If anything, this thread has proven that people, once their mind is made up, usually can't be swayed to change their mind.

I entered this thread knowing the Executive is the best SAK ever made for my purposes.  I'm sure I'll be exiting the thread with the same feeling.

That being said, it is entertaining to read the thoughts and opinions of others, as long as it doesn't get derogatory or condensending.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #191 on: September 08, 2017, 07:01:23 PM
 :D
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #192 on: September 08, 2017, 07:15:59 PM

That being said, it is entertaining to read the thoughts and opinions of others, as long as it doesn't get derogatory or condensending.

Well said, my friend. I think it's all been fairly friendly and good-natured.

Now, with regard to your primary statement about people not changing their minds or being swayed, I'll disagree with you. I still have hope that you will come to your senses. 

And...***gulp***...the Big River is now shipping me an Executive in classic red. We shall see, we shall see.....

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #193 on: September 08, 2017, 08:15:56 PM
If anything, this thread has proven that people, once their mind is made up, usually can't be swayed to change their mind.

I entered this thread knowing the Executive is the best SAK ever made for my purposes.  I'm sure I'll be exiting the thread with the same feeling.

If people get into a good in-depth conversation like this and come out the other end of the same mindset as when you went in, that means your original decision was the right one - for YOU (and you alone). If on the other hand you learn something new, or change your mind about it, then the discussion was still worth having. Either way it's good to kick the ball around and hear a good mixture of opinions and experiences, even if it's a topic you already made your mind up about a while back.  :cheers:

Reply #194 on: September 08, 2017, 08:48:11 PM
I fully agree.

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #195 on: September 08, 2017, 09:08:12 PM
Yep I agree too. What matters is what you as an individual want from the tool. If someone plonks a new scenario or argument on the table to kick around that can't be bad.
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #196 on: September 08, 2017, 09:36:36 PM
Orange peeler, What other SAK tool is this unique?  I mean its basically a flat driver with a cutting edge.     

When the Boker+ Tech Tools (is that what they're called?) put a Phillips driver on the end of a serrated blade, we quite rightly laughed them out of the park. Driver's don't belong on blades or on files. Sorry  :)

While I'd be the first to say a knife is a knife and not to be used as anything other I think the orange peeler is something other.  The file is much like the Classic SD file.  In my mind its also like the can opener on Vice.  The tip to be used for phillips or small flat screws.  BTW I never use mine for those purposes.  The can opener is to my mind a stand alone tool. The addition of the tip is not needed to me. 

Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #197 on: September 08, 2017, 10:12:40 PM

While I'd be the first to say a knife is a knife and not to be used as anything other I think the orange peeler is something other.  The file is much like the Classic SD file.  In my mind its also like the can opener on Vice.  The tip to be used for phillips or small flat screws.  BTW I never use mine for those purposes.  The can opener is to my mind a stand alone tool. The addition of the tip is not needed to me.

The Classic SD file is shorter, and is actually quite well suited to being a modest duty driver as well. My drivers shouldn't be on files comment was me thinking more about the likes of the Mini Tool, there required hardnesses for each tool conflicts. I also don't think the file on the exec makes as good a driver as the SD file due to it's length and inherrent flex. The orange peeler still does strike me as an "incorrect" blend of functions though. I do appreciate that it works for a lot of people, but it's just a bit too "Bowler hat with sleeves" for my liking

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #198 on: September 08, 2017, 10:25:07 PM
I think you guys are getting caught up on the name, orange peeler and not looking at it as a multi-use tool.

It's a clam-shell opener that leaves your two cutting blades clean and sharp.  It's a chisel ground serrated blade, good for cutting rope, etc.  It's a lite duty pry bar and screwdriver.

As far as the two pen blades, the little is used for utility tasks that can't be done with the multi-tool (orange peeler) and the large blade is saved for food prep.

The Executive is truly the best offering from Victorinox as it relates to size and use.

How did I miss this post earlier? This is the kind of  info I was looking for.

Have you actually cut rope with it?
That would be useful to me if it actually works.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #199 on: September 08, 2017, 10:44:17 PM
I think you guys are getting caught up on the name, orange peeler and not looking at it as a multi-use tool.

It's a clam-shell opener that leaves your two cutting blades clean and sharp.  It's a chisel ground serrated blade, good for cutting rope, etc.  It's a lite duty pry bar and screwdriver.

As far as the two pen blades, the little is used for utility tasks that can't be done with the multi-tool (orange peeler) and the large blade is saved for food prep.

The Executive is truly the best offering from Victorinox as it relates to size and use.

How did I miss this post earlier? This is the kind of  info I was looking for.

Have you actually cut rope with it?
That would be useful to me if it actually works.

Its razor sharp new, and Vic serrations are wonderful. But it wont stay sharp if you cut rope daily with it. :)
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

Reply #200 on: September 08, 2017, 11:45:06 PM
Yes, I've cut rope from time to time.

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #202 on: September 09, 2017, 09:32:56 PM
The best way to truly get a sense of a tool is to do a 30 day challenge with it. I've learned a lot about several tools this way (both good and bad)

In his case with the low expense of both the Executive and Ambassador...I say if you really want to understand it. Carry it. It's the MTO way. If you don't want to understand it, that's fine. Leave it at that.

I felt the same way about the beloved Spirit. I didn't really "get it" until I got it. Once I had it in hand and used it over time it made sense. If you get it, use it and still don't like it, that's great. As 50ft stated, it just wasn't for you.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #203 on: September 09, 2017, 10:40:50 PM
Nicely stated.  :tu:

I've got an Executive scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I'm thinking of doing the 30-day Minimalist challenge and might consider the Executive. If General Yeager can do it, surely I can give it a try.  ::)

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #204 on: September 09, 2017, 11:25:25 PM
One of the versions of the executive file(can't remember which) is considered the best SAK file, bar the 91mm version. :salute:
By who?
I wish they would chime in here and explain it to me. Honestly, I'm open to hearing it. I'm not trying to be an Executive hater. I'm becoming more of a Victorinox fanboy daily! So I'm ready to hear the Executive explained to me.

I might be counted among these people. I'm unlikely to need the larger sized files on the 91 mm since I'm usually not to far from a toolbox, or lacking that, a multitool. But I'm also the kind of person who notices and smooths out mould-lines and other rough spots on stuff. A good example is that my phone got a few sharp dents after dropping it on the street. The aluminium was no match for the Executive file and neither is brass (although I try not to use it too much for this kind of tasks, I don't know how well it'l hold up). I also find them better for nails than the Classic style files.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #205 on: September 10, 2017, 04:17:20 AM
Nicely stated.  :tu:

I've got an Executive scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I'm thinking of doing the 30-day Minimalist challenge and might consider the Executive. If General Yeager can do it, surely I can give it a try.  ::)
Let me know how well it works for you. I think the idea to test drive one personally it solid advice. I just have too many other SAKs that I want right now. If I don't moderate myself, I'll be tossing hundreds of dollars at an assortment of SAKs that may never see the inside of my pocket.
On my wish list, the Executive is near the bottom right now.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #206 on: September 10, 2017, 04:19:06 AM
What's at the top??
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

fi Offline Padre

Reply #207 on: September 10, 2017, 11:39:18 AM
We need Ambassador vs Executive poll.
 :like:
Leatherman:
SOG:
Gerber:
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

fi Offline Padre

Reply #208 on: September 10, 2017, 11:49:51 AM
 :whistle:
Leatherman:
SOG:
Gerber:
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #209 on: September 10, 2017, 11:54:18 PM
Question: "Does this Executive make my butt look fat?"

Answer: "Uhhhh...I think it's all the ice cream and cookies...."

[Short lesson on how to end up single with an Executive sticking out of your head.]

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%