Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Confession: I don't get the Executive

Nix · 288 · 16168

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Re: Confession: I don't get the Executive
Reply #210 on: September 11, 2017, 11:28:47 AM
Confession, I don't get the Ambassador... but I might just get another Executive!

::)

:pommel:

:D
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #211 on: September 12, 2017, 06:06:06 PM
 :mail:

The Executive arrived.

First impressions: nice little knife. Feels pretty good in the hand...or maybe I should say 'fingers'. Both the Ambassador and the Executive share this awkward, squared off profile. It looks a little clunky compared to the 84mm's and 91mm's and even the little Classic. Clunky, but I kinda like it. Looks a bit like an awkward teenager, but in cute way.

I now get the funny shape of the file tip: it allows access to the nail nick on the scissors. That's one mystery solved for me. And it's eccentric, so it's got that going for it. File is a single-cut file design with lots of area to work with. Yes, this may be my favorite file. Time will tell.

Now we get to the goofy orange peeler. Again, like the file, the blade is shaped to allow access to the nail nick of the 'large' blade, so the shape makes a bit more sense in that regard. I think it would have been more useful to extend the serrated blade out to the tip instead of trying to put a driver on the end. The serrations look like they may be smurfy hard to sharpen. But I suppose I the knife has two other easy to sharpen blades.....

Comparing it to the Ambassador, the Executive stacks up (pardon the pun) fairly well.

The Ambassador is noticeably thinner in the pocket, but the Executive may feel a bit better in hand--just has a bit more bulk to hold on to.

On my kitchen scale, the Ambassador comes in at 34 grams. The Executive a staggering 45 grams. Clearly a knife for test pilots and manly men to lug. OK, maybe I exaggerate....

I am puzzled by the little blade. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by this knife's quirky nature, but I'm looking at the little blade and thinking, "that looks even shorter the the Classic's blade...?"

And it is:

The Classic's blade is a full 2.5 mm longer than the Executive's small blade! What?!? Maybe it's meant for cataract surgery......

Of course the Executive may have a short pen blade, but it isn't short on cutting implements, so I don't imagine anyone would feel under-knifed with this model.

Yes, I'm still perplexed by the Executive, but having one in hand, I'm beginning to grow fond of the little misfit.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:08:43 PM by Nix »

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #212 on: September 12, 2017, 07:54:45 PM
:mail:

The Executive arrived.

(Image removed from quote.)

First impressions: nice little knife. Feels pretty good in the hand...or maybe I should say 'fingers'. Both the Ambassador and the Executive share this awkward, squared off profile. It looks a little clunky compared to the 84mm's and 91mm's and even the little Classic. Clunky, but I kinda like it. Looks a bit like an awkward teenager, but in cute way.

I now get the funny shape of the file tip: it allows access to the nail nick on the scissors. That's one mystery solved for me. And it's eccentric, so it's got that going for it. File is a single-cut file design with lots of area to work with. Yes, this may be my favorite file. Time will tell.

Now we get to the goofy orange peeler. Again, like the file, the blade is shaped to allow access to the nail nick of the 'large' blade, so the shape makes a bit more sense in that regard. I think it would have been more useful to extend the serrated blade out to the tip instead of trying to put a driver on the end. The serrations look like they may be smurfy hard to sharpen. But I suppose I the knife has two other easy to sharpen blades.....

Comparing it to the Ambassador, the Executive stacks up (pardon the pun) fairly well.

The Ambassador is noticeably thinner in the pocket, but the Executive may feel a bit better in hand--just has a bit more bulk to hold on to.

On my kitchen scale, the Ambassador comes in at 34 grams. The Executive a staggering 45 grams. Clearly a knife for test pilots and manly men to lug. OK, maybe I exaggerate....

I am puzzled by the little blade. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by this knife's quirky nature, but I'm looking at the little blade and thinking, "that looks even shorter the the Classic's blade...?"

And it is:

The Classic's blade is a full 2.5 mm longer than the Executive's small blade! What?!? Maybe it's meant for cataract surgery......

Of course the Executive may have a short pen blade, but it isn't short on cutting implements, so I don't imagine anyone would feel under-knifed with this model.

(Image removed from quote.)  Yes, I'm still perplexed by the Executive, but having one in hand, I'm beginning to grow fond of the little misfit.
Thank you!
Nice A/B comparison so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #213 on: September 13, 2017, 03:33:01 PM
Nice comparison.  The Executive certainly has some unique features.  Are they more quirky than applicable in day to day uses?  Time will tell. 
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Dunkeld

Reply #214 on: September 13, 2017, 08:59:39 PM
Since I lost my Compact I've been carrying a Climber but it's not really grown on me. Been toying with the idea of ordering an Executive but I have one (very important) question......... how do you open a bottle of beer with it?

I mean, is the peeler tool robust enough to pry the caps off (using the side of my hand)?

If I receive a convincing answer, I'm ordering immediately.  :salute:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #215 on: September 13, 2017, 09:20:55 PM

Now don't get too excited.

I used the angular bit of the blade, the part the cap is resting next too, to gently pry up the cap in a few spots, until it lifted off cleanly.

This was possible in part because of my incredible grip strength and iron will. I don't know if this would work for a bottle of Iron-Bru though.

And I'm not sure the knife would want to do this on a regular basis. I put some good torque on it.

But get one and see for yourself....and join a few of us for a 30-Day Chuck Yeager Minimalist Challenge. Brave Souls

de Offline crackout

Reply #216 on: September 13, 2017, 09:30:53 PM
Here's how I'll put some sense into the 74mm line. >:D

IMG_1933.jpg
* IMG_1933.jpg (Filesize: 168.33 KB)
Say my name.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #217 on: September 13, 2017, 10:22:48 PM
Here's how I'll put some sense into the 74mm line. >:D

:tu:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #218 on: September 13, 2017, 10:46:24 PM
Since I lost my Compact I've been carrying a Climber but it's not really grown on me. Been toying with the idea of ordering an Executive but I have one (very important) question......... how do you open a bottle of beer with it?

I mean, is the peeler tool robust enough to pry the caps off (using the side of my hand)?

I asked myself the same thing in the mod-forum some time back but sadly all the pictures are gone thanks to Dropbox changing their system for picture hosting. The simple answer is that I ground a bottle opener into the base of the orange peeler. It doesn't work super well but it does work and I guess it puts less strain on the tool than bending with the flat side of the relatively thin tool.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #219 on: September 13, 2017, 10:48:44 PM

And it is:

I think that this is a good thing since it has the larger blade. It makes the small blade extra suitable for precision jobs.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #220 on: September 13, 2017, 10:56:03 PM
It makes the small blade extra suitable for precision jobs.

I can't join you in that view. The Classic blade is an adequate small blade, about as small as I need. THe pen blade on the 84mm Tinker is pretty much ideal for a tiny, little, miniscule blade that is still very useful.

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #221 on: September 14, 2017, 12:44:43 AM
It makes the small blade extra suitable for precision jobs.

I can't join you in that view. The Classic blade is an adequate small blade, about as small as I need. THe pen blade on the 84mm Tinker is pretty much ideal for a tiny, little, miniscule blade that is still very useful.
I actually use the small blade quite often when I need to get my knuckles right over the job, and want to limit movement. Envelopes don't stand a chance against this stealth blade. Plus, it gets reallllly sharp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #222 on: September 14, 2017, 12:51:15 AM
As they say in New Orleans, True Dat!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #223 on: September 14, 2017, 11:52:39 AM

I asked myself the same thing in the mod-forum some time back but sadly all the pictures are gone thanks to Dropbox changing their system for picture hosting. The simple answer is that I ground a bottle opener into the base of the orange peeler. It doesn't work super well but it does work and I guess it puts less strain on the tool than bending with the flat side of the relatively thin tool.
You can open a bottle of beer with anything, like a penny, or a mini prybar, which would be great to pair with the executive.  :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #224 on: September 14, 2017, 03:16:37 PM

A beer is very easy to open with the SD tip of the classic nail file or exec SD tip.

The metal in the beer caps is VERY soft stuff and easy to bend. All I do is, take the SD tip of my classic and insert under the edge of the cap. DO NOT PRY, but gently twist the knife until the edge of the cap deforms out a bit. Then do this a few more times moving a bit to the side each time until you can just push the top off with your thumb. Takes about 5 to 8 seconds when you are used to it, and it doesn't hurt the knife at all. I've been using the SD tip nail file on my classic as a bottle opener for years with no damage.

Just remember; Do NOT pry, just gently twist with the SD tip under the edge of the cap.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #225 on: September 14, 2017, 04:14:29 PM

You can open a bottle of beer with anything, like a penny, or a mini prybar, which would be great to pair with the executive.  :tu:

You can use the orange peeler to open a beer bottle. Insert the tip between the cap and bottle, twist it gently to release the cap. Do the same, if necessary, until the cap comes loose.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #226 on: September 14, 2017, 04:15:43 PM

A beer is very easy to open with the SD tip of the classic nail file or exec SD tip.

The metal in the beer caps is VERY soft stuff and easy to bend. All I do is, take the SD tip of my classic and insert under the edge of the cap. DO NOT PRY, but gently twist the knife until the edge of the cap deforms out a bit. Then do this a few more times moving a bit to the side each time until you can just push the top off with your thumb. Takes about 5 to 8 seconds when you are used to it, and it doesn't hurt the knife at all. I've been using the SD tip nail file on my classic as a bottle opener for years with no damage.

Just remember; Do NOT pry, just gently twist with the SD tip under the edge of the cap.

I started to write my post before lunch, Carl had pretty much said what I wanted to say...
 :tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

scotland Offline Dunkeld

Reply #227 on: September 14, 2017, 06:52:48 PM
OK....OK......I've cracked.

Where do I get a black one though?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #228 on: September 14, 2017, 08:32:24 PM
The Big River has a Black model. Ask me how I know...

And I do hope you'll be joining us for the Chuck Yeager Minimalist challenge starting 01 Oct 2017.....
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:33:37 PM by Nix »

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #229 on: September 14, 2017, 11:14:07 PM
The Big River has a Black model. Ask me how I know...(Image removed from quote.)

And I do hope you'll be joining us for the Chuck Yeager Minimalist challenge starting 01 Oct 2017.....(Image removed from quote.)

It'll be interesting to see how many of you can amputate someone's leg with just your penknife as Chuck did. Everyone who does should get a badge.   :rofl:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #230 on: September 15, 2017, 01:43:30 PM
The Big River has a Black model. Ask me how I know...(Image removed from quote.)

And I do hope you'll be joining us for the Chuck Yeager Minimalist challenge starting 01 Oct 2017.....(Image removed from quote.)

It'll be interesting to see how many of you can amputate someone's leg with just your penknife as Chuck did. Everyone who does should get a badge.   :rofl:

What does the amputee get????
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #231 on: September 15, 2017, 02:08:38 PM

Instant weight loss  :whistle:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #232 on: September 15, 2017, 02:18:12 PM

Instant weight loss  :whistle:
Unfortunately, the amputee, while losing weight, will end up with a higher fat-to-body weight ratio..  :facepalm:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #233 on: September 15, 2017, 02:26:12 PM

Link please.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #234 on: September 15, 2017, 02:28:21 PM
I just know you folks will be an Executive supporter when all is said and done.

Enjoy.....

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #236 on: September 15, 2017, 04:15:43 PM

A wooden leg whittled with only the Vic Executive.  This is a minimalist challenge ya know.

Oh, and a big thank you for being willing to sacrifice a leg so that the Executive owner could earn a badge.   :facepalm:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 04:16:56 PM by Okie Shyster »

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #237 on: September 15, 2017, 04:32:20 PM

A wooden leg whittled with only the Vic Executive.  This is a minimalist challenge ya know.

Oh, and a big thank you for being willing to sacrifice a leg so that the Executive owner could earn a badge.   :facepalm:
I guess the amputee/assistant's shoe collection instantly doubles in size. Maybe not comfort, though.

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #238 on: September 15, 2017, 04:34:20 PM

You can use the orange peeler to open a beer bottle. Insert the tip between the cap and bottle, twist it gently to release the cap. Do the same, if necessary, until the cap comes loose.
Now this is the kind of "local knowledge" we need more of around here. I never would have thought the Classic or Executive could open a beer.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #239 on: September 15, 2017, 05:16:41 PM
sounds like a good way to bend your orange peeler  :think:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%