Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Confession: I don't get the Executive

Nix · 288 · 16192

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Re: Confession: I don't get the Executive
Reply #30 on: August 31, 2017, 05:47:18 AM
I think Vick used his Executive to amputate a pilot's leg:
http://warfarehistorynetwork.com/daily/wwii/chuck-yeager-fighter-pilot/

Quote from: article
The two Americans slid down rapidly and were deposited in a cold but deep pond at the bottom of a hill. In other circumstances it might have been funny, but Yeager discovered Pat was seriously wounded. Pat was ashen and lapsed into unconsciousness, and it was soon clear the airman was bleeding to death. A German bullet had severed most of Pat’s leg. There was nothing much Yeager could do but take a pen knife and sever the remaining tendon, completing the amputation. After staunching the bleeding, he then carried his companion through miles of snow-covered ground.
More like cut through a tendon on an already mangled leg, but that's still badass.  :salute:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 05:49:11 AM by GoatDragon »

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #31 on: August 31, 2017, 05:55:29 AM
I keep my Executive next to my easy chair. It gets mail and package opening, nail maintenance duties. It's too heavy for keychain use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #32 on: August 31, 2017, 06:19:45 AM
I keep my Executive next to my easy chair. It gets mail and package opening, nail maintenance duties. It's too heavy for keychain use.

Yet another issue with the whole 74mm line. Too heavy for keys, too insubstantial for pocket carry. Suit waiscoat pocket is the middle ground, and what my (as yet undesigned) mod will be aimed at. The decline in the wearing of waistcoats appears directly proportional to the stagnation of the 74mm line *

*statistically based on nothing whatsoever other than having been up since 2:30am with insomnia, drinking tea, and eating hot buttered toast. So :neener: to anyone who disagrees  :P

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #33 on: August 31, 2017, 06:21:07 AM
Quick question: Are the Executive and Ambassador the only current production 74mm knives that Vic makes?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #34 on: August 31, 2017, 06:29:38 AM
I believe the money clip and cigar cutter are still in production too

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #35 on: August 31, 2017, 06:53:43 AM
The whole 74mm line is a bit quirky, isn't it?

...Not that there's anything wrong with that.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: August 31, 2017, 07:38:03 AM
I can understand the sentiment without sharing it since I find little use in the orange peeler myself. It is just that the rest of the Executive is gold! I am in the group who really like the two blade setup, especially the smaller blade. The cut file is also a really great tool, probably one of the smallest ways to include a file you can find. I've used it for deburring softer metals like aluminium and brass apart from using it on my nails. Lastly the scissors sit in a bit of the best of two worlds middle ground where it has the larger size than the 58mm without becoming bulky.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #37 on: August 31, 2017, 08:20:26 AM
I think Vick used his Executive to amputate a pilot's leg:
http://warfarehistorynetwork.com/daily/wwii/chuck-yeager-fighter-pilot/

Did the Executive exist in the early 40's?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #38 on: August 31, 2017, 12:12:53 PM
Personally I never liked the proportions of 74mm knives. Unlike 91, 84 and 58mm ones, they feel too long compared to their width...
Anyway, I have the same qualm about the orange peeler. It's just so random! What's even more strange is that Vic even went the lenght to design different variations of this tool for different knife sizes (74 and 58mm). So it seems to me more than just a quirky addition. I wonder why that is!

Oh, one last thing: does anyody know why the nail fie tip in the Executive has this rather peculiar shape?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: August 31, 2017, 12:32:07 PM
I carried one for over 7 years daily and to me it beats the Classic in every aspect ::) I can't count the time that I have used the orange peeler to score an orange :cheers: The blade on it as well as the scissors are a much more respectable size (to me) compared to the smaller counterparts of the Classic and the file is the best around in it's size range :cheers: I have moved to the 91mm range these days but my Executive still sees pocket carry some when I am wanting a lightweight carry :salute: It is still small enough to disappear in my pocket with a suspension clip on it and I also like the extra smaller blade for those just in case times that the main blade becomes to dull during the day :tu:

I have also used the file many many times as a nail cleaner and it works great as a 2D Phillips on smaller scews :cheers: :like:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 12:33:46 PM by Poncho65 »

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #40 on: August 31, 2017, 01:15:46 PM
Glad to see there's still allot of love for the Executive.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: August 31, 2017, 04:37:54 PM
I carried one for over 7 years daily and to me it beats the Classic in every aspect ::) I can't count the time that I have used the orange peeler to score an orange :cheers: The blade on it as well as the scissors are a much more respectable size (to me) compared to the smaller counterparts of the Classic and the file is the best around in it's size range :cheers:

So, Poncho, I get why you like the Executive over the Classic. And, really, a good file is a great thing to have in one's pocket. And I'd agreed that the file on the Ambassador is....limited....maybe even disappointing. However, in terms of 'disappearing in the pocket', the Ambassador's slim size is exceptional. The smallish (but still functional) file is a design byproduct of keeping the Ambassador slim. It's like a Classic on steroids.

I guess I'd make the argument that if you anticipate needing multiple blades, you'd be better off carrying more knife. Say, an 84mm small Tinker or similar. If disappearing in the pocket is the goal, the Ambassador, an Alox Cadet, or the magnificent Classic has been my tool of choice. An Alox Rambler is a joy to carry.

I agree that the 74mm is more capable than the 58's. (Oddly, I have but one 74mm and several 58's.) But to me the Executive is a confused knife: neither slim nor full sized. Full of options, but no more capable than an Ambassador. And really, when do you need more than one blade?   :pok:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: August 31, 2017, 04:38:53 PM
Glad to see there's still [a lot] of love for the Executive.

Me too! Although I don't see one in my future.  :cheers:

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #43 on: August 31, 2017, 08:36:57 PM
I'd like the Executive a lot more if it had a combo tool like the 58's.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

R

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: August 31, 2017, 08:40:31 PM

:think: Did you mean the 84mm's or the funky little Philip's/cap lifter thingy that I like in the Rambler?  ???

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #45 on: August 31, 2017, 09:10:18 PM

:think: Did you mean the 84mm's or the funky little Philip's/cap lifter thingy that I like in the Rambler?  ???
Yeah, the little Philips thing.  :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #46 on: August 31, 2017, 09:17:33 PM
Well who doesn't love that?!

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: August 31, 2017, 10:22:41 PM
I have to admit that I side with Nix. I have never really 'got' the executive. It seems like a middle ground that is an answer in search of a question. I do love the 58mm classic, and I can't find anything the 74 will do that I can't do with a 58. But if the 58 is not enough pocket knife, then I just go with a larger "real" knife, like a 84, or even a 93.

To me, it's like guns. I like the little .22 mini revolver as an everyday carry gun. Most times I'm not going into a gunfight or hazardous areas. But if  feel like I'm going someplace a .22 may not be "enough gun" then I carry a .38. Why bother with a .25 or .32???

Light duty;

Heavier duty;

I just can't see the 74's.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:25:18 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #48 on: September 01, 2017, 12:12:14 AM
My biggest draw to the Executive when I first got it many many years ago was the fact that it had 2-blades in a small platform.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #49 on: September 01, 2017, 12:42:38 AM
the Executive makes no sense to me.

Same here.  It needs a real phillips and flat driver - and no orange peeler - to join the pantheon of EDC all-stars.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: September 01, 2017, 01:29:03 AM
This is the reason I don't miss my lost Executive. For my needs nothing in the 75mm can top my Pocket Tool Chest for usefulness.
20170722_081936.jpg
* 20170722_081936.jpg (Filesize: 162.52 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline cody6268

Reply #51 on: September 01, 2017, 03:15:41 AM
All I can say is get one, and you'll end up liking it.   I didn't get the Executive either, until mine came in a multi-piece Ebay lot.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #52 on: September 01, 2017, 04:01:12 AM
...I do not believe in a single SAK for all purposes.
Wait. What? That defeats the purpose of carrying a SAK in my opinion. Why not just carry a Case or Schrade or Queen or any other slip joint...and a pocket full of other small tools? To me, the point is to have one pocket sized tool kit to meet most--if not all--of your anticipated needs AND any reasonable emergency scenarios that you may encounter.
I guess my philosophy on it is one reason that I don't rotate my EDC load. Doing that would leave me prepared one day and unprepared the next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #53 on: September 01, 2017, 04:44:16 AM
I forget what first motivated me to get an executive, maybe it was the price from the MTO store  :)
Unfortunately I felt a little disappointed when it arrived. I think having two blades, plus the orange peeler in such a small package seemed redundant to me. But I started using it this week, mostly for package opening and it's started to grow on me.
I think perhaps it's best suited for a desk drawer, as a package opener, a touch up personal hygiene tool and that sort of thing.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #54 on: September 01, 2017, 04:46:43 AM
It was definitely MacGyver (not the MTO member lol) that motivated me to buy an Executive. No kidding.  :D  I have 5 and none of them see any pocket time.... I guess two are Directors  :think:   I think I like the smooth alox the best...  If I go 74mm, it's the ambassador... and that is seldom.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #55 on: September 01, 2017, 05:07:20 AM
Oh, and another enjoyable video El Corkscrew :)  You covered it pretty well on the Ambassador.

Honestly though, having my executive in the old desk drawer I find is a nice place for it. The small blade is convenient for package opening where you don't care to slice deeply into the contents. The orange peeler works well on blister packs, and the large blade for whatever else. My kids have even been using the scissors to open their summer Popsicles :)
And the file is rather nice if needed - I was even using the end of the file to pry open a large key ring the other day - worked surprisingly well.
Yeah, probably a bit too small for regular EDC for most but when I think about it, I've spent my whole life wondering who are these high fallutin people who need or really use a letter opener?
Now I have one, woo hoo  :like:

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #56 on: September 01, 2017, 05:08:30 AM
And I keep it in my desk drawer, just like an executive!!

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #57 on: September 01, 2017, 05:32:53 AM

Oh, one last thing: does anyody know why the nail fie tip in the Executive has this rather peculiar shape?

I think I understand what you're referring to.  Is it this divot?  I guess it's to reveal the nail nick on the scissors. Then, in the name of symmetry,  they put a divot on the other side.  Yes?  No?

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #58 on: September 01, 2017, 05:39:03 AM
I believe the money clip and cigar cutter are still in production too
I bought a Money Clip years ago.  It's really pretty,  and only used a couple times.  I don't carry as much cash as I thought I would. Beautiful knife,  though.

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #59 on: September 01, 2017, 05:44:00 AM
I will say that the main blade of my Executive is just long enough to work on small apples,  and cut food. However,  cutting a thick chicken breast makes for finger locking good fingers covered in chicken juice.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD