Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Clip point blades...?

wales Offline caninesapien

Clip point blades...?
on: August 31, 2017, 11:47:52 AM
Anyone ever added a (small or large) clip point blade to a SAK with any success? Looking for pictures! If so, what's a good source for these kinds of blades?

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Re: Clip point blades...?
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 12:04:18 PM
Anyone ever added a (small or large) clip point blade to a SAK with any success? Looking for pictures! If so, what's a good source for these kinds of blades?

I've been looking at this too, to make the blades complement each other a bit more. So far my best idea has been to take the small blade from a Delemont edition knife. The pins are the same (2.5 mm) and there are some really small differences that might slightly change the snap of the blade but the biggest problem is that the nail-nick will sit just at or slightly under the liner.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 12:12:53 PM
Excuse me for asking but... What different or added functionality does a clip point blade brings VS he standard spear point one?
Is there any other difference other than the aesthetic one?
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 12:13:24 PM
Excuse me for asking but... What different or added functionality does a clip blade brings VS he standard spear point one?

Can't speak for Fortytwo but for me - yes, purely an aesthetic choice!

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 12:18:01 PM
Mostly aesthetic for sure, their older models used one of each and I happen to really like those.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 12:18:53 PM
Excuse me for asking but... What different or added functionality does a clip blade brings VS he standard spear point one?

Can't speak for Fortytwo but for me - yes, purely an aesthetic choice!

Ok, thanks  :cheers:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 12:45:06 PM
Excuse me for asking but... What different or added functionality does a clip point blade brings VS he standard spear point one?

A clip point is more 'pointy' than a spear, and may be able to get into tighter spaces if you're doing delicate work.  There's a bit less material so it's probably not as strong as a spear/drop point.  In a larger blade it'll be a little lighter - and possibly shift the balance point of the knife back towards you - though on a SAK the effect will be minimal.

Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 02:51:22 PM
Thanks all. I'd like to give it a try one day.

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 04:47:38 PM

Weren't some of the small clip points designed with more belly near the point?  I would find that feature very usable and would love that in the larger blade.  Wenger's 85mm large blade has more belly than Vic, but not as much as the small blades did.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 04:50:19 PM
Mostly aesthetic for sure, their older models used one of each and I happen to really like those.

I like them, too. Have an old Tourist with one of those. One of these days, I'm going to go crazy and actually carry it!

:D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 04:50:45 PM
Here's one example of a large clip without much belly.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=20124.0

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

us Offline cody6268

Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 01:25:58 AM
I have a SwissBuck Globetrotter in my parts bin that someone destroyed the Phillips and liner somehow putting too much force on a probably stuck screw. I'm thinking about using the clip point master blade in it to make a Wenger Handyman with dual clip point blades, as to have it also be really well oriented to whittling and fine detail work.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 01:40:15 AM
As mentioned, some of the Wenger-made Swiss Bucks had clip point blades. Also some of the Wenger Tactiles.

IMG_2527.jpg
* IMG_2527.jpg (Filesize: 57.98 KB)
IMG_2521.JPG
* IMG_2521.JPG (Filesize: 130 KB)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 02:46:35 AM

Weren't some of the small clip points designed with more belly near the point?  I would find that feature very usable and would love that in the larger blade.  Wenger's 85mm large blade has more belly than Vic, but not as much as the small blades did.

Probably the easiest way to create that profile would be from a DofE or MFV. You'd have to start quite high on the rounded nose, and as the nail nick is close to the end, you'd have to remove that completely and cut another. You'd have enough meat left below the clip to tailor the belly how you'd want it

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline WolfyW

Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 03:33:02 AM
Before contracting SAK fever I used the clip point blade on my Oldtimer frequently to dig splinters out of my hands.
"The older I get, the better I was".

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 04:22:18 PM
Probably the easiest way to create that profile would be from a DofE or MFV. You'd have to start quite high on the rounded nose, and as the nail nick is close to the end, you'd have to remove that completely and cut another. You'd have enough meat left below the clip to tailor the belly how you'd want it
I was actually thinking of reprofiling the blade of one of my (non Swiss) pocket knives, that has a broken tip, into a spear point.
My intention was to file away up to about 1/2 of the nail nick. Hopefully that will work fine.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 10:42:26 AM
I'll add that the Workchamp XL has a clip point 111 mm blade but the SAK-Wiki mentions that it's most likely from a 108 mm model originally. Also, a spectacularly impractical way of getting a clip point blade...

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 11:06:14 AM
Maybe try the vic day packer, has clip point and pretty inexpensive

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30