Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Executive Scales falling off

us Offline Zhenchok

on: August 29, 2017, 07:57:48 PM
I got an Victorniox Executive in a trade and the scales where the toothpick and the tweezer's are coming out do not stay flush, I tried taking them off and re-attaching as well as using a set of plier to put them back on and probably did more damage because one won’t even stay on now.  I tried reaching out to Victorinox and they are asking for me to mail in a $5 dollar bill yada yada yada, they might wave the fee if I show them a recent receipt which I don't have.  How do I get the scales to stay on?  One of them unfortunately is probably damaged beyond repair, I guess I can try to superglue them. Kinda bumbed as I really like having this tool.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 08:00:10 PM by Zhenchok »
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Executive Scales falling off
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 08:04:27 PM
Sorry for your troubles, mate.

I think scales can't be re-installed once they've been taken off. I've heard of some people warming the scales before taking them off and then reusing them, but I've never seen that. If you didn't warm the scales before removing them, they are probably dysfunctional now.

I think your best bet is to send the knife in or buy a new set of scales and replace the now dysfunctional ones.

Best wishes!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 08:06:19 PM by Nix »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 08:07:00 PM
You can try glueing them.  :)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 08:13:15 PM
I've never heard of Vic charging people for warranty work, unless it's a shipping/handling fee :think:
Send In the spartans

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 08:16:57 PM
Yeah they want a $5 shipping and handling fee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 08:20:29 PM
Yeah they want a $5 shipping and handling fee

That seems reasonable. You aren't going to find replacement scales for less than that (if you can even find 74mm replacement scales). Even a bottle of glue to reattach them would cost nearly that much.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 09:09:23 PM
Once epoxied, always epoxied.

If you go the glue route, be careful not to obstruct the channels for the T&T with glue.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 09:14:58 PM
$5?  What are you waiting for? :pok:

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 09:40:00 PM

I can get a new recruit for $13 bucks.  If I put the $5 in the letter are they going to "loose"  it? pluss I have to apply shipping costs. Its not a big deal but is it really worth it when I can just use epoxy?

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 09:52:12 PM by Zhenchok »

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 09:55:14 PM
Not if you want a Recruit, no.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 10:00:00 PM

I can get a new recruit for $13 bucks.  If I put the $5 in the letter are they going to "loose"  it? pluss I have to apply shipping costs. Its not a big deal but is it really worth it when I can just use epoxy?

Epoxy is a good call too! Just don't put on too much and gunk up the tools or the t&t slots.

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 10:03:11 PM
Thanks

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 12:32:55 AM

If you use epoxy, make sure you only apply a small amount in each of the 4 rivet holes on the scales. It will be more than enough to hold securely and won't give you too much trouble to take them off if you decide to change them later
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 02:35:01 AM

If you use epoxy, make sure you only apply a small amount in each of the 4 rivet holes on the scales. It will be more than enough to hold securely and won't give you too much trouble to take them off if you decide to change them later

Thanks that will be my project tonight

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 06:13:51 AM
Super glue is a bad bet. It is way too brittle. The scales need to flex ever so slightly when the t&t are inserted and removed, and this action will break the super glue. Also given it's viscosity it can smurf up the pivots.

I use goop glue for sale scales and it works perfectly.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 06:50:36 AM
Is the $5 for shipping within the US?

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 06:52:43 AM
Super glue is a bad bet. It is way too brittle. The scales need to flex ever so slightly when the t&t are inserted and removed, and this action will break the super glue. Also given it's viscosity it can smurf up the pivots.

What about epoxy? Any experience with using that on SAK scales?

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 07:00:20 AM
Not personally, but I know others have.  I imagine it is fine.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 11:28:29 AM

What about epoxy? Any experience with using that on SAK scales?

I've glued two vintage solid scales with epoxy (Araldite) with only one tiny amount on the scale rivet holes and it worked great  :tu:

The idea is not to actually glue the whole contact surface of the scale to the liners (that would be silly IMHO...  :facepalm:), it's more like "replacing" the amount of cellidor removed (ripped) from the holes by the bushings when taking the scale off,  that makes the scales not sit tightly any more when putting them back vs to when they where new. That small amount of epoxy will fill the lack of material and harden but yet retain great elasticity while also being adhesive to the rivet's.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 11:29:36 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 02:08:44 PM

Yeah they wanted an additional $5 either included in the envelope or charged on a cc.  They call it a handling fee. I could have risked it and not put the 5 but its not worth the hassle.

I actually attached them with a little of epoxy and so far so good. I think the initial issue is that the scales are a bit bent by where the toothpick and tweezers slide in.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 02:10:42 PM by Zhenchok »

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 04:22:04 PM

Yeah they wanted an additional $5 either included in the envelope or charged on a cc.  They call it a handling fee. I could have risked it and not put the 5 but its not worth the hassle.

I actually attached them with a little of epoxy and so far so good. I think the initial issue is that the scales are a bit bent by where the toothpick and tweezers slide in.

As others have said, that $5 seems to be a bargain. At least you still have that option in the future  :tu:

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #21 on: August 30, 2017, 04:24:30 PM
Thats what I figured as well, if It would be more serious I wouldnt hesistate to excersize that option.

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Reply #22 on: August 30, 2017, 07:34:25 PM
I was able to use my Super Tinker's scales after I took them off, one of them was a bit loose but now it has settled down. Go figure.
However I had less luck with my Executive. I used some electrical tape folded and glued on itself as a makeshift and really lazy solution. But it works, and it's not much thicker. You would have to be careful with the placement though, so it doesn't impede the scale tools from going in.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

us Offline redmond

Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 10:03:20 PM
4 small drops of blue Loktite  worked well for me.
Greg
LM: PST II, Crunch (x2), Squirt, Micra, Skeletool, Rebar, Wave
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18
 Gerber: Mr. Pinchy, MP600

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #24 on: September 01, 2017, 06:58:43 PM
Thats what I figured as well, if It would be more serious I wouldnt hesistate to excersize that option.

Turns out that the Victorinox repair shop in our country will replace scales for free if they determine that its manufacturing defect. Or will replace scales for minimal fee. I sent my Tinker and Bantam for possible warranty service. They said they will get back to me in a week if they will charge me or not for the scales replacement.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%