Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Got bitten by a tick, again

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
on: October 01, 2017, 10:43:00 AM
I had a borrelia infection, caused by tick bite, two years ago. This morning I found another tick on my lower left leg. Tick bites aren´t rare in my line of work.
DSC08190-tick.jpg
* DSC08190-tick.jpg (Filesize: 242.17 KB)

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Re: Got bitten by a tick, again
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 10:47:07 AM
Bugger. How you remove the little $$$$$$ ?

Lyme disease has become a problem where I live over the last few years.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 10:53:24 AM
I removed it with long, thin tweezers for a good grip between body and head. The jaws broke off, I had to remove these as well, the same way you would remove a splinter of wood. I´ll have to check up on it the coming weeks to see if I was infected again. If so, I´ll need treatment with antibiotics.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 04:28:08 PM
 :ahhh  I have all my outdoor clothes treated with Permethrin.  I am tempted to buy 10% Permethrin like many have from amazon so I can treat darn near everything. 

I sure hope everything will be ok for you 
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 07:50:19 PM
Permethrin is carcinogenous. For a day out in the fields, it probably doesn´t matter. I´m having serious second thoughts about daily use though. Agricultural use is prohibited in the EU.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 07:51:54 PM by Ronald Schröder »

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 08:47:21 PM
Ticks are very common around me, I always carry the Trix Tick lasso or the O'tom tick twister. DEET also works as a repellent although I always have a reaction to it.

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 08:55:07 PM
I´d say long shank boots are better than any repellant. This time, I wasn´t wearing them.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 08:56:31 PM
I´d say long shank boots are better than any repellant. This time, I wasn´t wearing them.

Oh very true, normally Lowa GTX for me, but the little smurfs can still get you
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 09:01:02 PM
One of my brothers once had a tick firmly entrenched behind his ear.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 09:05:15 PM
yup the little smurfs can get anywhere !
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 11:46:01 PM
Permethrin is carcinogenous. For a day out in the fields, it probably doesn´t matter. I´m having serious second thoughts about daily use though. Agricultural use is prohibited in the EU.
Who told you permethrin is carcinogenic? It's safe  for mammals, except cats.

Do they have DEET where you live? DEET has been proven in repeated tests not to be carcinogenic and it's a very, very effective insect repellent. I've used it for decades.

The differences are that permethrin is a pesticide. It's purpose is to KILL the bugs. DEET is a repellent. It's purpose is just to keep the bugs off of you. While permethrin is used on the skin of livestock, and I use it as a pesticide around my property; I don't use it in my skin as it can be an irritant. I use DEET on my skin and the skins of other humans (my family).

BTW, have you tried pouring oil on the tick? They're supposed to be unable to breathe and they back out of your skin.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 11:50:10 PM by Tired_Yeti »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 11:55:06 PM
BIO-KILL
Should be available in all sorts of DIY stores around you Ronald.
Just spray it directly onto your legs. If a tick gets on you, it just drops dead.

Unharmfull for humans and large mammels, deadly for insects.
I know a nightguard who sprays his legs and dog with it before every shift for the past 4 years and never had a tick since.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 05:42:33 AM
Used to use Permethrin on my dog, now I use Cyphenothrin/ pyriproxyfen mix. He's never gotten a tick when I used cyphenothrin. I apply it monthly as a topical.

After his bath, I will sometimes rinse him in a solution whereby I had boiled water with rosemary, lemon, and mint, and let that cool.

For myself, my clothes, my pack...Deet.

When we are going to a mountain, I might also apply Avon Skin So Soft to my dog and on me. It really works.

I live right in Lyme disease country, and my dog is a hound who wants nothing more than to run rabbits (or squirrels, or birds in the bush, skunks, cats, smaller dogs, rats, or even a leaf blowing in the wind). We have deer ticks carrying Lyme, and Brown dog ticks that can carry Rocky Mountain Spotted (although the vet will tell me that that hasn't made it here yet, I don't want to be the first) Really can't afford to have either of us running around unprotected from ticks.

On a Leatherman note...the few times we were sub-prepared and Scout got any ticks, the tweezers from the Micra work very well for tick removal.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:45:53 AM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 05:51:00 AM
I will wear shorts when hiking, but I always wear ankle-height boots. I also wear  crew socks folded down until they sit about 3 or 4 finger-widths above my ankles, and I spray my boots and socks, and legs and shorts. I spray into my hand and wipe my neck and face, then run my fingers through my hair, and spray my hat.

Hate those nasty ticks!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 05:53:39 AM
Bio-kill is Permethrin based, if I am not wrong.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 06:34:45 AM
Who told you permethrin is carcinogenic? It's safe  for mammals, except cats.

Do they have DEET where you live? DEET has been proven in repeated tests not to be carcinogenic and it's a very, very effective insect repellent. I've used it for decades.

The differences are that permethrin is a pesticide. It's purpose is to KILL the bugs. DEET is a repellent. It's purpose is just to keep the bugs off of you. While permethrin is used on the skin of livestock, and I use it as a pesticide around my property; I don't use it in my skin as it can be an irritant. I use DEET on my skin and the skins of other humans (my family).

BTW, have you tried pouring oil on the tick? They're supposed to be unable to breathe and they back out of your skin.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is some info on the EPA fact sheet but the page is gone from the web. The CDC doesn´t say.
Anyway, I don´t trust manufacturer´s data on this. We´re having a scandal about glyphosate (Roundup) in the EU right now.
Better be safe than sorry.

This is from WikipediA

Permethrin does not present any notable genotoxicity or immunotoxicity in humans and farm animals, but is classified by the EPA as a likely human carcinogen, based on reproducible studies in which mice fed permethrin developed liver and lung tumors.

So what I should have said is

Possibly, Permethrin is carcinogenous.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 06:49:41 AM by Ronald Schröder »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 07:55:12 AM
One of my brothers once had a tick firmly entrenched behind his ear.

Years ago in Australia I had to pull one from a girls eyelid. It was vertical right between the lashes. Was not an easy removal.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 10:19:00 AM

based on reproducible studies in which mice fed permethrin developed liver and lung tumors.

So what I should have said is

Possibly, Permethrin is carcinogenous.
When eaten... :D

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 10:51:42 AM
Bugger. How you remove the little $$$$$$ ?

Lyme disease has become a problem where I live over the last few years.

Ticks living in my neck of the woods are most easily removed with putting some saliva on the end of your finger and rubbing the tick with it using circling motions. It works every time.
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #19 on: October 04, 2017, 01:10:33 PM
Ticks seem to be the only insect that doesn't seem interested in biting me.  I have spent a lot of time in places where ticks are prevalent, and yet I do not recall ever having one bite me.

I'd suggest bottling my blood as an effective deterrent, but as every other insect seems to enjoy it I am not sure if it qualifies as a "cure is worse than the disease" type thing.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #20 on: October 04, 2017, 01:24:20 PM
It´s only a small wound and healing well with no signs of infection. But I´ll keep watching it, a Borrelia infection might manifest itself anywhere from within three days to three months.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #21 on: October 04, 2017, 01:34:22 PM
Ticks seem to be the only insect that doesn't seem interested in biting me.  I have spent a lot of time in places where ticks are prevalent, and yet I do not recall ever having one bite me.

I'd suggest bottling my blood as an effective deterrent, but as every other insect seems to enjoy it I am not sure if it qualifies as a "cure is worse than the disease" type thing.

Def

Two years ago the infection was killed wiith antibiotics, but I still have antibodies in my blood. Also, I´m impervious to nettles.  :D

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: October 04, 2017, 02:52:42 PM

Def
And above all, if we'd fill a bottle for every member here, you'll only be an empty bag of bone and muscle... And a little fat perhaps.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%