Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Locks Up or Locks Down? & Why? w/ Life Changing Poll!!

Poll

Which way do you store your MT in your sheath if you use a sheath and have locking tools?

Vertical Carry and Locks Facing Up.
22 (43.1%)
Vertical Carry and Locks Facing Down
5 (9.8%)
Horizontal Carry and Locks Facing the opening.
3 (5.9%)
Horizontal Carry and Locks Opposite the Opening.
1 (2%)
I felt I needed to Vote, but Do Not Use a Sheath.
7 (13.7%)
I felt I needed to Vote, but Do not Have Locking Tools.
2 (3.9%)
Gerleatherberman is a truly silly and offensive username.
4 (7.8%)
I feel Left out, because I do not use a Multi Tool
1 (2%)
Just throw the tool in the sheath without any thought to lock orientation
6 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Locks Up or Locks Down? & Why? w/ Life Changing Poll!!
on: September 02, 2017, 02:02:45 AM
O.K. I was reading a few old posts and came to a realization. Some users store their MT with the locks facing the "bottom" of the sheath. I have always stored mine with the locks facing the opening, which is the top of the sheath for me. I carry vertical, because I am paranoid about something I paid 1/4 of a whole weeks' pay falling out just because I caught the closure on a door jam or what not. I hope this is an interesting, thought provoking,  and life changing poll thread. I  look forward to reading some wise insights into, what I believe is, the most important question the human race faces in the 21st century. This is some serious stuff here, folks! :imws:

Let the Voting Begin! :viking:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Re: Locks Up or Locks Down? & Why? w/ Life Changing Poll!!
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 03:00:11 AM
Since this is a deeply thought provoking question, I will need at least a week of reflection, genuflection and solitude to answer  :whistle:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 03:13:04 AM
Some tools force locks up and some sheaths force locks down.
The LM OHT is both locks up and down.
Life changed.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 03:52:02 AM
Some tools force locks up and some sheaths force locks down.
The LM OHT is both locks up and down.
Life changed.
Well, the OHT is an exception, agreed.
However, the plier twist lock can be considered the main lock and placed up or down. The plier lock is the deciding factor for my OHT. I store my OHT with plier lock up. Dilemma has been remedied.  :woohoo:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Offline Mavericky11

Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 04:08:41 AM
I carry my Surge with the locks down or blade tips down. I find it easier to get the tool in and out.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 04:15:27 AM
On the very rare occasion I use a belt sheath, it's worn vertically. Whatever I'm carrying in it has the widest area uppermost

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 05:55:26 AM
Locks up always .

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 08:50:35 AM
I carry the Spirit with "lock up" in my pouch, because it is easier to slide it in.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 09:09:06 AM
Vertical, locks up with the serrated blade to the rear so I can open the pe blade (or others) without looking. 

And yes you have a silly name (says the man with the flashing cat avatar  :rofl:)
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 11:19:01 AM
I do not have any locking tools, and I do not sheath carry.  :facepalm:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 12:44:59 PM
Major ideological conflicts like this is why war starts...

We need to define some key terminology with positive and negative connotations for proper heated arguments? I haven't really been radicalized just yet, but I'm hoping to achieve True Verticalism and then look down on anyone at any other angle. (Of course measurement is needed but using a horizontal water level is totally frowned upon).

True believers also sleep upright - the extremists even face down to show their dedication.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 12:47:11 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 12:46:48 PM
Lock up,
So I can grab my Charge and open the blade one handed without having to turn it over.

hr Offline styx

Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 01:43:00 PM
I carry the Spirit with "lock up" in my pouch, because it is easier to slide it in.

Exactly what Kam said
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 02:30:16 PM
I usually just let the tool fall into the sheath whatever way it will go and don't usually pay attention to the way the locks are :think: Then I get it out and flip it around the way I need it and after I am done put it back in the sheath again :shrug: :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 02:46:49 PM
I usually just let the tool fall into the sheath whatever way it will go and don't usually pay attention to the way the locks are :think: Then I get it out and flip it around the way I need it and after I am done put it back in the sheath again :shrug: :D
Hey Poncho,
Is there anyway you could correct my oversight and add that as an option to the poll? As I had not considered the method you use in the poll questions. I should have thought of that, because I do the same with my tool bag tools for onsight work.
Guess you could always cast a vote for my username being silly and offensive.  :wait:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 02:51:15 PM
Edited the option in :salute:

I do take more thought about how I put my tools into my tool bag than I do putting my MT in its sheath :o :D

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 04:56:43 PM
Is it possible I've been doing it wrong this entire time ???

:ahhh
SAW

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: September 02, 2017, 07:08:09 PM
 :tu: TY Poncho!
Sawman, that is why I created the poll! I feel as if I may have missed out on something regarding the tool placement in the sheath!
But, it seems the poll shows the way I've done it is what a lot of people do. Well see though, if that is the general concensus after a few days. :multi:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 02, 2017, 07:12:36 PM
Is it possible I've been doing it wrong this entire time ???

:ahhh
Lol. But it just feels so right  :rofl:

I go locks down. Makes sense to me and seems to be the way most sheaths taper anyways. The wave and surge taper a bit to the lock side.
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #19 on: September 02, 2017, 07:38:13 PM
If I wore sheaths I would not give a smurf's smurf  ;)
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #20 on: September 03, 2017, 03:01:18 PM
I am deeply offended your username does not mention SOG.

And I don't use sheaths. That is all.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: September 03, 2017, 06:35:30 PM
Horizontal sheath carry of my Charge. Not sure about the lock terminology but I have it so that when I withdraw it in my right hand the blade hole is by my thumb for swift one hand opening.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #22 on: September 03, 2017, 09:17:53 PM
MOST of the time, locks up. Always body upright.

For my pocket knife, that's the way the clip is mounted and honestly, I"m used to indexing my finger to the stud or hole as I pull it out.

With the Skeletool as the formal tool, same reason.

With my Rebar or Supertool on my belt, the tappered part goes in the sheath first. Also, with the Rebar's locks, I'm willing to fight with the locks going into the sheath, but not on the way out. Of course, that would put me in the market for a new sheath.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: September 04, 2017, 08:23:34 AM
Horizontal sheath carry of my Charge. Not sure about the lock terminology but I have it so that when I withdraw it in my right hand the blade hole is by my thumb for swift one hand opening.

Though I don't have a Charge and I do both vertical and horizontal sheath carries, I follow the same concept of the right hand thumb opening when possible.   :tu:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: September 04, 2017, 08:47:12 AM
Hmmm...  :think:

Disregarding for the moment deeper ruminations on the philosophy behind the difference between horizontal, vertical and diagonal carry...  ::)

On the occasions that I carry a heavier tool (such as a Supertool 300 or a Surge) in a belt sheath I carry it horizontally at the 2 o'clock position, with the opening pointing forward and the locks pointing towards the opening for better grip and extraction from the sheath. For heavier tools this works best for me - these tend to get in the way of centre consoles and seat belt locks etc. otherwise (we drive on the right here :D). It helps that the Surge came with a sheath allowing both carry options, and I bought a second such sheath for the Supertool. This also goes for my Swisstools, both of which have a horizontal-carry sheath (which is no longer available), but here the flap is above, i.e. on the long side. Here I don't mind carrying it either way, locks forward or backward.

Smaller, less obtrusive tools (Wave, Charge, non-pocket-fitting SAKs) usually come in a vertical sheath (I haven't bothered to buy horizontal sheaths for these as they are not subject to the constraints above) and are therefore vertical carry and at the 3-4 o'clock position, sheath opening pointing upwards (surprise! although the reverse is also possible  :rofl:) and, for locking tool multitools, locks likewise pointing upwards, again for better grip and extraction. (SAKs with key rings are also carried with the latter pointing up for the same reason.)

Which is why none of the poll options have exclusive application to my case  :pok: :cheers:

Edit:
Deeper considerations on factors favouring either the locks in/down or locks out/up option might include tool taper (the Supertool for instance tapers quite a bit at the plier head, and would be more difficult to insert locks in/down) and also, in rough use, the possibility of the locks getting stuck with dirt (usually found in bigger quantities the lower down/in you go, the plier pivots being somewhat less susceptible).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 08:56:11 AM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

fi Offline Padre

Reply #25 on: September 04, 2017, 12:55:51 PM
Cannot answer the poll, depends from tool and belt.

I prefer horizontal carry. Tool takes less room when driving a car IF possible. Vertical is ok too. Locks up on Gerbers (usually), down on Leathermans (usually).
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: October 07, 2017, 04:33:26 PM
Life as I know changed as a result of this poll.

So, being a sheath user in the vertical orientation I've always put my MT in with locks down.   After reading this thread I gave it some thought and for the last several weeks decided to retrain my way of doing it.  I am happy to report a few thoughts. 

Placing the tool ( Charge TTi ) in my sheath ( leather LM sheath ) with locks down affords me the convenience of reaching for my MT and having it oriented so I can OHO my blade.  I typically use my MTs blade as my main blade.  I find its similar to those who like their pocket knives tip up carry.
The weight of the tool is in the pliers when closed.  I find the tool sits better on my belt and is not top heavy in its sheath.  This also applies to the LM Molle sheath I use.  Heres the part that really made sense for me.  When I use my bit driver and know I'll probably be needing it soon I tend to leave it extended.  I carry a bit card in the sheath and use it to hold the flap open.  I've done this countless times and never gave it a second thought as I always returned the tool to locks down. 
My habit is still to want to place the tool locks down but over the past few weeks I am converting.       
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #27 on: October 07, 2017, 10:20:33 PM
I cannot vote as I do them all, all the time.

I carry my sheats horizontal and vertical, tool in belt or pocket, locking MT and non-locking, leather and nylon sheaths, velcro and snap closure, large and small, OHO and non OHO, Gerber, SOG, LM and Vic, with and without sheath pockets, and alone or with accessories.

The only common pattern in my system is carrying the OHO tools with the locks up, LM, Gerber MP tools and Vic Spirits with the locking tabs on the upper side of the sheath, as it results in easier access to the blades and/or the tool enters more easily in the sheath through its slimmest section, "tapering" as it enters
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: October 07, 2017, 11:30:01 PM

So, being a sheath user in the vertical orientation I've always put my MT in with locks down.   After reading this thread I gave it some thought and for the last several weeks decided to retrain my way of doing it.  I am happy to report a few thoughts. 

Placing the tool ( Charge TTi ) in my sheath ( leather LM sheath ) with locks down  I meant to type locks up affords me the convenience of reaching for my MT and having it oriented so I can OHO my blade.  I typically use my MTs blade as my main blade.  I find its similar to those who like their pocket knives tip up carry.
The weight of the tool is in the pliers when closed.  I find the tool sits better on my belt and is not top heavy in its sheath.  This also applies to the LM Molle sheath I use.  Heres the part that really made sense for me.  When I use my bit driver and know I'll probably be needing it soon I tend to leave it extended.  I carry a bit card in the sheath and use it to hold the flap open.  I've done this countless times and never gave it a second thought as I always returned the tool to locks down. 
My habit is still to want to place the tool locks down but over the past few weeks I am converting.     

Sorry I wanted to make to change but was too late. 

Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: October 08, 2017, 06:19:06 AM

Placing the tool ( Charge TTi ) in my sheath ( leather LM sheath ) with locks down affords me the convenience of reaching for my MT and having it oriented so I can OHO my blade.  I typically use my MTs blade as my main blade.  I find its similar to those who like their pocket knives tip up carry.
That is awesome!
The poll itself was a result of observing other's preferences in posts that did not have anything to do with preferences! It has made me more aware if carrying options and that is pretty awesome!
 :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%