Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Locks Up or Locks Down? & Why? w/ Life Changing Poll!!

Poll

Which way do you store your MT in your sheath if you use a sheath and have locking tools?

Vertical Carry and Locks Facing Up.
22 (43.1%)
Vertical Carry and Locks Facing Down
5 (9.8%)
Horizontal Carry and Locks Facing the opening.
3 (5.9%)
Horizontal Carry and Locks Opposite the Opening.
1 (2%)
I felt I needed to Vote, but Do Not Use a Sheath.
7 (13.7%)
I felt I needed to Vote, but Do not Have Locking Tools.
2 (3.9%)
Gerleatherberman is a truly silly and offensive username.
4 (7.8%)
I feel Left out, because I do not use a Multi Tool
1 (2%)
Just throw the tool in the sheath without any thought to lock orientation
6 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Locks Up or Locks Down? & Why? w/ Life Changing Poll!!
Reply #30 on: October 08, 2017, 03:15:36 PM
After this thread I to started noticing how I put my tool in it's sheath and I must do this subconsciously ::) I put certain tools in the sheath locks up and certain ones lock down and depending on the tool it makes it easier for me to either use OHO blades or to open the tool more quickly depending on the model :o :like:

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: October 08, 2017, 03:18:58 PM
NEW PAGE
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: October 08, 2017, 03:22:06 PM
Just noticed this Doug :ahhh Thanks :tu:

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: October 08, 2017, 03:24:31 PM
Just noticed this Doug :ahhh Thanks :tu:
Hay,
That's what friends are for.... :tu:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #34 on: January 27, 2018, 12:32:30 AM
Only had my skinth and poweraccess for one day, but I noticed that locks up is easier to put in and take out due to the tapered design, with the fat end at the locks. Quite a few multitools seem to be similar in that regard to some extent. :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #35 on: January 27, 2018, 01:31:31 AM
With much thought  and consideration being given by all in the deep and overriding nature of this thread, and with the thought being espressed that the OP's name was offensive to some because of the lack of reference to SOG, it is hereby made a motion that Pablo's name be changed to Mr. Soggy bottom. Do I have a second to that motion?

Sheath...........I dont need no stinkin' sheath..... :twak:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #36 on: January 27, 2018, 02:11:21 AM
Definitely, just put it in without thought.

Gerleatherberman is a truly silly and offensive username. Change it to MrLeatherman Please.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #37 on: January 27, 2018, 03:05:25 AM
Only had my skinth and poweraccess for one day, but I noticed that locks up is easier to put in and take out due to the tapered design, with the fat end at the locks. Quite a few multitools seem to be similar in that regard to some extent. :think:
Thanks Pablo!

With much thought  and consideration being given by all in the deep and overriding nature of this thread, and with the thought being espressed that the OP's name was offensive to some because of the lack of reference to SOG, it is hereby made a motion that Pablo's name be changed to Mr. Soggy bottom. Do I have a second to that motion?

:rofl: Butch!
P.S. SOG is in my signature.  :D

Definitely, just put it in without thought.

Gerleatherberman is a truly silly and offensive username. Change it to MrLeatherman Please.
Noted. But, my first name isn't Tim.   :whistle:

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: January 27, 2018, 03:38:54 AM

I tried to raise him up better than this.... :facepalm:
Beat'n his head against the brick wall only hurt the wall. :bnghd: :bnghd: :bnghd:
Sorry G-Man.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 03:45:15 AM by Douglas »
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: January 27, 2018, 03:43:19 AM
On the very rare occasion I use a belt sheath, it's worn vertically. Whatever I'm carrying in it has the widest area uppermost

I like my leatherman in a belt sheath. I carry the same way 50ft does - wide up. This means that the Rebar and Blast sit with locks at the top, while the SURGE!!! Sits with the locks at the bottom. Wide part up makes insertion and extraction the easiest.

With the Surge, I keep the serrated blade closer to my body, like Peacent does. But the way I remove the Surge from the sheath, I ensure that the serrated blade is at the ready.

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: January 27, 2018, 05:38:11 AM
On the very rare occasion I use a belt sheath, it's worn vertically. Whatever I'm carrying in it has the widest area uppermost

I like my leatherman in a belt sheath. I carry the same way 50ft does - wide up. This means that the Rebar and Blast sit with locks at the top, while the SURGE!!! Sits with the locks at the bottom. Wide part up makes insertion and extraction the easiest.

With the Surge, I keep the serrated blade closer to my body, like Peacent does. But the way I remove the Surge from the sheath, I ensure that the serrated blade is at the ready.

This is true for me as well. When I answered earlier that locks were always up I wasn't thinking about the Surge and Wave which I carry locks down.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: January 27, 2018, 08:01:41 AM

This is true for me as well. When I answered earlier that locks were always up I wasn't thinking about the Surge and Wave which I carry locks down.

A testament to Leatherman s innovative (or haphazard) design.

Now, what does one do with the Super Tool 200, as those release mechanisms are more or less in the middle

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #42 on: January 30, 2018, 03:10:43 PM

SE Surge blade is my favorite Leatherman blade, and the one I resort to in most occasions  :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: January 30, 2018, 04:59:56 PM
Still running my TTi locks up.  S30V blade close to my body and loving it since its at the ready.  My MT blade is usually what I go to when I need a blade. This thread has a covert in me  :like: 
Esse Quam Videri

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #44 on: January 30, 2018, 05:13:12 PM

A testament to Leatherman s innovative (or haphazard) design.

Now, what does one do with the Super Tool 200, as those release mechanisms are more or less in the middle

Locks always up in sheath and in pictures, same goes for the Pulse   ;)

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: January 30, 2018, 05:20:46 PM
Locks up vertical  :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: January 31, 2018, 04:40:09 AM
I seldom carry my Spirit in a sheath (more pocket carried) but when I do carry it in a sheath, it is locks up.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: January 31, 2018, 05:14:28 AM
Thank you for the replies, y'all! Bit of an old thread/poll, but seems to still be relevant.  :)
During the Spirit challenge, it is still locks up vertical as well!
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #48 on: January 31, 2018, 03:39:15 PM

me too!  :cheers:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: February 01, 2018, 04:25:03 AM

me too!  :cheers:

(Image removed from quote.)
Very cool! I wish my Spirit had the serrated butter blade like yours. My plain spirit blade is very redundant. :P
 :cheers:

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: February 01, 2018, 09:33:03 AM
Well, the only locking tool which I also carry in a sheath is a LM Wave. The side with the locks is narrower than the site opposite ("upper") side, so it's easier for me to drop it into the sheath locks-down.

When it comes to non-locking tools, I drop them in a "keyring-facing-up" manner.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%