Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Remade Knives SAK 91mm scale 3D model released to the public for free

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
000000001 - Mags
000000002 - Guinea pig 'Cheeky'
000000003 - Guinea pig 'Fluffy'
000000004 - Guinea pig 'Bubbles'
000000005 - Guinea pig 'Benny'
000000006 - Guinea pig 'Fudgie'
000000007 - Guinea pig 'Smurfy'
000000010 - Pabs

Enough already?  :D
I thought that we were doing this in binary?  :think:
Anyway, fixed.
000000001 - Mags
000000010 - Pabs
000000011 - Guinea pig 'Cheeky'
000000100 - Guinea pig 'Fluffy'
000000101 - Guinea pig 'Bubbles'
000000110 - Guinea pig 'Benny'
000000111 - Guinea pig 'Fudgie'
000001000 - Guinea pig 'Smurfy'
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
New page, dance, Nana Men, dance!
:nanadance::nanadance::nanadance::nanadance::nanadance::nanadance::nanadance::nanadance::nanadance::nanadance::nanadance::nanadance:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline dkop1

• Acknowledged blade-aholic who isn't seeking help.
They look great! Love the orange. If any UK members are up for a group buy let me know.

Im actually organizing a group buy in my country as some said its worth the risk to try it out here. The guy with the 3D printer I contacted said he can even do wood. But he hasn't worked with SAKs before so I have some concerns.... :-\
I wouldn't be too worried about him being SAK experienced or not. The primary concern in additive manufacturing is whether or not their machine and the way they operate it can produce parts to tolerance and to the best mechanical properties of the material  :tu:
much like a machinist, if you give them good data to produce a part and they do their job well on decent equipment, you'll get a very functional end product.
I think I get what you mean. Im also concerned about the plastic material he will use as it's most probably not nylon and definitely not cellidor, given the price estimate he gave ($2 per pair).

I also heard SwissBianco said in his video that while his scales are CNC milled, the SAK frames are not and rivets might need adjustments. So I'm concerned that the plastic chosen by the printer might be brittle (?). So now I'm curious to know what exact plastic material to ask. I'll discuss with  the printer.

As for the carbon fiber, here are the samples he gave

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
The most popular materials for hobbyist FDM printing are ABS plastic (think Lego blocks) and PLA (a biodegradable plastic). However, the range of potential materials is huge. If it's a SLS or UV curing material, you can get much finer results. But at such a low price, I can only guess at what sort of machine he's using. Most inexpensive machines and materials are done on FDM.
"Have yourself a nice long rest and be back here in twelve minutes."
"All the good times, that's what I'll remember. I think there were three."

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
They look great! Love the orange. If any UK members are up for a group buy let me know.

Im actually organizing a group buy in my country as some said its worth the risk to try it out here. The guy with the 3D printer I contacted said he can even do wood. But he hasn't worked with SAKs before so I have some concerns.... :-\
I wouldn't be too worried about him being SAK experienced or not. The primary concern in additive manufacturing is whether or not their machine and the way they operate it can produce parts to tolerance and to the best mechanical properties of the material  :tu:
much like a machinist, if you give them good data to produce a part and they do their job well on decent equipment, you'll get a very functional end product.
I think I get what you mean. Im also concerned about the plastic material he will use as it's most probably not nylon and definitely not cellidor, given the price estimate he gave ($2 per pair).

I also heard SwissBianco said in his video that while his scales are CNC milled, the SAK frames are not and rivets might need adjustments. So I'm concerned that the plastic chosen by the printer might be brittle (?). So now I'm curious to know what exact plastic material to ask. I'll discuss with  the printer.

As for the carbon fiber, here are the samples he gave

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
The most popular materials for hobbyist FDM printing are ABS plastic (think Lego blocks) and PLA (a biodegradable plastic). However, the range of potential materials is huge. If it's a SLS or UV curing material, you can get much finer results. But at such a low price, I can only guess at what sort of machine he's using. Most inexpensive machines and materials are done on FDM.

Can you cull out from his album whether he's using FDM? What material is appropriate for SAK use?  :think:

https://www.facebook.com/bt.metz/posts/1413879198681503?pnref=story

us Offline dkop1

It looks to me like FDM is the technology he's using to print, looks like a really good surface quality. So he's using a machine that gives a really nice surface quality. As for the material... no idea. PLA would be bad for an SAK, but ABS would work fine.  Nylon, or even Polycarbonate may be suitable as well. They all look really well made, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a set if I was in the market. It couldn't hurt to write him and ask what the material is!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Very cool thread 8) The carbon fiber looks awesome :o The plastic look pretty good to me as well though :like: I may download the specs and see if I can find a local printer :tu: If not I will still have the specs for later use :cheers: :like:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
It looks to me like FDM is the technology he's using to print, looks like a really good surface quality. So he's using a machine that gives a really nice surface quality. As for the material... no idea. PLA would be bad for an SAK, but ABS would work fine.  Nylon, or even Polycarbonate may be suitable as well. They all look really well made, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a set if I was in the market. It couldn't hurt to write him and ask what the material is!

This is very helpful information and tips! I will definitely refer to this thread when I order from him. Right now our group is just waiting for one more willing "guinea pig" to jump into the group buy wagon.

Thank you so much!  :tu:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Very cool thread 8) The carbon fiber looks awesome :o The plastic look pretty good to me as well though :like: I may download the specs and see if I can find a local printer :tu: If not I will still have the specs for later use :cheers: :like:

I'll be definitely posting pics and feedback here once I get the scales, Poncho. I have a naked 91mm Golfer just waiting for its new dress  :D

us Offline SummitCOMike

• I am a walking SAK! However a lot less durable.
I need some 84mm. Any help?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
I need some 84mm. Any help?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

For now, Remade Knives only has 91mm 3D designs...  :(

us Offline dkop1

Any time! I geek out over this stuff. If I can get the models to clean up nicely for slicing I'd love to make a set in nylon at work. The B side handle just has too many shells and the software  for our machine doesn't like it one bit.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Any time! I geek out over this stuff. If I can get the models to clean up nicely for slicing I'd love to make a set in nylon at work. The B side handle just has too many shells and the software  for our machine doesn't like it one bit.

Update: I showed your post to our supplier. Our supplier was supposed to use PLA but after reading this post, he agreed to use ABS instead at the same cost. Here's his business page:

https://www.facebook.com/largeformat3dprinter/

I'm now finalizing the group buy with members.  If all agree, we can have the scales delivered next week. And the GAW here soon after
:whistle:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 03:28:36 AM by an0nemus »

us Offline dkop1

Update: I showed your post to our supplier. Our supplier was supposed to use PLA but after reading this post, he agreed to use ABS instead at the same cost. Here's his business page:

I'm now finalizing the group buy with members.  If all agree, we can have the scales delivered next week. And the GAW here soon after
That's awesome of him!
PLA is a fine material if it's properties suit your application. However, it is biodegradable and UV light damages it ( ibelieve.. further research required). it is more brittle than ABS and is prone to warping under high temperatures  (think 115degrees Fahrenheit and up) so even a hot car on a summer day could do it. I find it better suited to desktop models, toys/gamepieces, and some prototyping work.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am

That's awesome of him!
PLA is a fine material if it's properties suit your application. However, it is biodegradable and UV light damages it ( ibelieve.. further research required). it is more brittle than ABS and is prone to warping under high temperatures  (think 115degrees Fahrenheit and up) so even a hot car on a summer day could do it. I find it better suited to desktop models, toys/gamepieces, and some prototyping work.

awesome of you as well to share your knowledge here  :tu:

I'm glad we're able to provide better material for us in the group venturing into the 3D printing world. One member is excited as he'll be able to finally make his 20-year battleworn SwissChamp look new again soon  :salute:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Contractor just showed the first two CF sets. Im having mixed feelings :thinking:

« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 07:47:28 AM by an0nemus »

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
CF and ABS scales

us Offline dkop1

They look really well done to me, he must be using a fair quality machine and material stock. Not the best I've ever seen, BUT at the price point.... I think they are producing an incredibly high value article.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
They look really well done to me, he must be using a fair quality machine and material stock. Not the best I've ever seen, BUT at the price point.... I think they are producing an incredibly high value article.
Yes, at the price point, they're excellent value for money. For me, I'll install as is while others plan to wet sand theirs. Can't wait for the weekend to install these

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
 :cheers:

There's something very pleasing about the texture on those scales. Looking forward to seeing them fitted.

:popcorn:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am

There's something very pleasing about the texture on those scales. Looking forward to seeing them fitted.

:popcorn:
I'll need a vise or clamp. Will visit a local machine shop again very soon. This is the Carbon Fiber version. The blacks are ABS

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 10:54:10 AM by an0nemus »

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Just visited the local machine shop

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Sorry for the poor photo quality. It felt like I was installing stock scales from Victorinox. This has exceeded my expectations and our group is excited!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
 :tu:

They look thicker than the cellidor scales an0nemus. Are they? Have you tried them with the toothpick and tweezers yet?

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
I'm really happy!

Some group mates will polish and color their scales. I'll post here after they do.

Is anyone interested to have an ABS and Composite Fiber scales as GAW here?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
GAW!

You had me at G!

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
My teeth start itching when I look at those scales.   :ahhh

Yes, you read that correctly...  :D

Maybe something along these lines: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trypophobia  :think:

Otherwise they look nice.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:24:48 PM by lister »
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
:tu:

They look thicker than the cellidor scales an0nemus. Are they? Have you tried them with the toothpick and tweezers yet?
Sorry for the poor pic quality. Grey Golfer next to Blue Tinker. The T&T needed to be forced in and won't extract smoothly. Sanding the channels might help

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
GAW!

You had me at G!

Okay then! Will launch it over the weekend

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Lots of possibilities for modding them - thanks for showing us all - it's quite exciting!  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD