Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Remade Knives SAK 91mm scale 3D model released to the public for free

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
My teeth start itching when I look at those scales.   :ahhh

Yes, you read that correctly...  :D

Maybe something along these lines: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trypophobia  :think:

Otherwise they look nice.  :cheers:
Looks like a SAK owned by this dude

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Lots of possibilities for modding them - thanks for showing us all - it's quite exciting!  :tu:
My group mates are excited as well! They see these as canvasses for mods

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Ok, so, let's kick this off...
:whistle:

001 - Mechanickal

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club

001 - Mechanickal

:think:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline El Corkscrew

“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice

us Offline El Corkscrew

001 - Mechanickal

:shrug:

Are you showing us how high you count, bro?
Nah, was adding myself to the GAW list and started it up both at once :tu:

Ah! Painting a picture of generosity.  :cheers:  What are you giving away??

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice

001 - Mechanickal

:shrug:

Are you showing us how high you count, bro?
Nah, was adding myself to the GAW list and started it up both at once :tu:

Ah! Painting a picture of generosity.  :cheers:  What are you giving away??
Uhm...
An0nemus' scale set? :angel:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
 :rofl:

Will make a separate thread for the "Ugliest Scale GAW" tomorrow, Nick  :2tu:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Just an update folks. Some in Facebook and a friend who saw the scales said the grey ones don't look like carbon fiber. So I asked the guy who printed the scales and he said they're technically carbon fiber filaments, or a composite of resin and CF. "It's milled CF with plastic as the resin. It's similar to glass filled plastic" are his own words.

Its a relatively new material being used by drones and car parts. He likes the material because it doesn't warp. Its also being used by his friend Ryan in Ryan's business here: https://www.gearswitch.us/collections/e30-cup-holder

Just wanted to put this info here.

On a related note, the GAW has been launched here: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=73921.new;topicseen#new

Do join  :salute:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Just want to put this here for record purposes

My grey tools: TTi, Kershaw Zing, Golfer

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Just an update folks. Some in Facebook and a friend who saw the scales said the grey ones don't look like carbon fiber. So I asked the guy who printed the scales and he said they're technically carbon fiber filaments, or a composite of resin and CF. "It's milled CF with plastic as the resin. It's similar to glass filled plastic" are his own words.

Its a relatively new material being used by drones and car parts. He likes the material because it doesn't warp. Its also being used by his friend Ryan in Ryan's business here: https://www.gearswitch.us/collections/e30-cup-holder

On a related note, the GAW has been launched here: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=73921.new;topicseen#new

Ya you wouldnt be able to print in CF since its layers of carbon cloth compressed and cured with some variant of polyester resins.  I got into making CF bike frames for a bit about 15 years ago.  Kind of fun you carve out a shape in high density foam then do lay ups of the cloth/resin.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am

Its a relatively new material being used by drones and car parts. He likes the material because it doesn't warp. Its also being used by his friend Ryan in Ryan's business here: https://www.gearswitch.us...ollections/e30-cup-holder

On a related note, the GAW has been launched here: https://forum.multitool.o...c=73921.new;topicseen#new

Ya you wouldnt be able to print in CF since its layers of carbon cloth compressed and cured with some variant of polyester resins.  I got into making CF bike frames for a bit about 15 years ago.  Kind of fun you carve out a shape in high density foam then do lay ups of the cloth/resin.

What my friend (who's into building CF frames for airguns) essentially said as well who inspected the scales with his flashlight. He's also into CNC and lasers and we discussed Titanium scales. He mentioned aluminum T3 as alternative scales. What do you think of T3?

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Another groupmate just successfully installed the grey scales on his Spartan

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Looks good!

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Looks good!
It does

We're having problem with the ABS, though. It didn't feel smoothly with that particular Spartan. We're still looking for the cause.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Looks good!
It does

We're having problem with the ABS, though. It didn't feel smoothly with that particular Spartan. We're still looking for the cause.
Sand it down a bit with a fine sanding paper?
Circular movement.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
I mean it didn't fit in smoothly. One of the scale hole is allegedly 1mm off. Might be ABS shrinkage  :think: 

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
I mean it didn't fit in smoothly. One of the scale hole is allegedly 1mm off. Might be ABS shrinkage  :think:
Dremel :whistle:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
My friend just installed his CF filament scales on his Spartan. He wet-sanded using 800 then 600 grits but the material didn't budge. LOL.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
My friend just installed his CF filament scales on his Spartan. He wet-sanded using 800 then 600 grits but the material didn't budge. LOL.

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
Tough as nails!

Means you can use it as a hammer now :woohoo:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
Tough as nails!

Means you can use it as a hammer now :woohoo:

Agree!  :tu: :rofl:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Just want to share a happy moment. One of our group mates finally decided to replace the beaten scales on his SwissChamp of more than 20 years. He's so happy that they fit as the rods seemed bent. It's like having second life, he said

us Offline dkop1

• Acknowledged blade-aholic who isn't seeking help.
Just a mention on Carbon Fiber Printing: It IS possible by two means so far... laser sintering and filament-deposition modeling. However they're so far only done in very costly machines as managing the lay of the fibers gets tricky. I don't think we're going to be seeing this tech in hobby machines for some time. However, it is doable!
"Have yourself a nice long rest and be back here in twelve minutes."
"All the good times, that's what I'll remember. I think there were three."

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
As far as my forays in 3D-printing-related fora have uncovered, "CF filament" is available for use in "hobby" FDM printers, but with the caveat that extruder nozzles tend to get an accelerated abrasion treatment by the fibres which makes the nozzles far less durable - unless they are e.g. stainless steel or a special harder-than-usual copper alloy.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
I get conflicting opinions also about the CF nature of these scales. Whatever it is, it's tough. Even a group mate's effort to use dremel and smoothen it was disastrous

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
I get conflicting opinions also about the CF nature of these scales. Whatever it is, it's tough. Even a group mate's effort to use dremel and smoothen it was disastrous

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
Smooth! :tu:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

That looks melted.  A Dremel is much too high rpm to use with plastics like that.  I'd try hand sansing with 400 then 800 grit wet paper to smooth out the surface.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am

That looks melted.  A Dremel is much too high rpm to use with plastics like that.  I'd try hand sansing with 400 then 800 grit wet paper to smooth out the surface.
A friend tried down to 600 but nothing happened. I'll recommend 400.

For me personally, I like mine unsanded as it has rough appeal

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD