Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which one do you like more the Vic Camper or Climber and why?

Poll

Camper
11 (42.3%)
Climber
15 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: October 06, 2017, 06:11:29 PM

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Which one do you like more the Vic Camper or Climber and why?
Reply #30 on: September 06, 2017, 11:03:22 PM
A knife is the wrong tool for cutting herbs, chillies and little pieces of paper? Alrighty then, agree to disagree, because on this side of the pond knives apparently must perform better :think:

:salute:

A knife could certainly do the job, but scissors do it better. I like better  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: September 06, 2017, 11:06:21 PM
Whereas the saw I used last week to trim the ill-fitting rubber floor mats my wife bought for our car was able to accomplish a task that both the knife and scissors were COMPLETELY UNABLE to accomplish.

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #32 on: September 06, 2017, 11:08:19 PM
Whereas the saw I used last week to trim the ill-fitting rubber floor mats my wife bought for our car was able to accomplish a task that both the knife and scissors were COMPLETELY UNABLE to accomplish.
Wrong tool! You need a serrated blade to cut rubber!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: September 06, 2017, 11:10:57 PM
 :facepalm: I still think it's simple as it all depends on your needs in the situation your in,a bit like a episode of MacGyver  :D so Mac in this particular episode needs to cut a bit of wood ,so he has a camper,but in the next episode he has to trim his mullet voila he uses his climbers scissors  :D Simple  :facepalm:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: September 06, 2017, 11:17:30 PM

Nope, this was some type of plastic reinforced rubber. A hack saw would have been more appropriate.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #35 on: September 06, 2017, 11:26:28 PM

Nope, this was some type of plastic reinforced rubber. A hack saw would have been more appropriate.
In that case you should get yourself a Sheffield knife...

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: September 06, 2017, 11:31:05 PM
 :rofl:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: September 06, 2017, 11:53:33 PM

In that case you should get yourself a Sheffield knife...

... for when one fleam is not enough  :rofl: How long did it take the veterinarians and barbers to finally realise the error of their ways anyhow  :think:

Oh, absolutely there are times when I would want to be carrying a saw ... or a file, or a torx driver, or a serrated blade, (never a fish tickler  ;)) ... but scissors have proven themselves to be the tool that I would want on me pretty much everyday. I fully understand that some people are quite content to manage without, but for many tasks I find them to be a superior cutting tool, and would rather have them alongside my (one) knife blade. (I see the smaller blade as the redundant tool, but many would disagree with that too) :salute:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #38 on: September 07, 2017, 02:08:04 AM
Tough call as I love them both.  I'd go with the Huntsman and get both plus the hook!
Barry

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: September 07, 2017, 03:31:26 AM
Tough call as I love them both.  I'd go with the Huntsman and get both plus the hook!

You get the hook on the Climber, Barry  :tu:

Not sure if there's back tools on the saw on the camper  :think:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: September 07, 2017, 04:19:03 AM
Other than the immediate utility of having a knife, I carry a SAK or multitool as something that can help me deal with the unexpected. From that perspective any expansion of ability is most welcome. If trimming herbs and chillies in your backyard is a regular day-to-day activity than scissors makes sense. But if there is a predictable, day-to-day use for any particular tool then why not just carry a high quality version of a dedicated tool. If you work in the trades, where day to day is always unexpected, I still don't understand the need for scissors. But right now I'm thinking of my friend who is a union iron worker. I'm pretty sure if you pulled out a pair of tiny folding scissors on the 40th floor of the skeleton of a high-rise in Manhattan to open a bag of X you would probably be laughed off the job.

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #41 on: September 07, 2017, 04:45:20 AM
Other than the immediate utility of having a knife, I carry a SAK or multitool as something that can help me deal with the unexpected. From that perspective any expansion of ability is most welcome. If trimming herbs and chillies in your backyard is a regular day-to-day activity than scissors makes sense. But if there is a predictable, day-to-day use for any particular tool then why not just carry a high quality version of a dedicated tool. If you work in the trades, where day to day is always unexpected, I still don't understand the need for scissors. But right now I'm thinking of my friend who is a union iron worker. I'm pretty sure if you pulled out a pair of tiny folding scissors on the 40th floor of the skeleton of a high-rise in Manhattan to open a bag of X you would probably be laughed off the job.

Haha that's a great comment, completely agree.  This is why I made the poll.  I would Cary the real tool if it was something I did for a living. But when you carry a SAK, I really like the function of both but do not want to carry a thicker SAK.  I think for daily use the Climber is more practical, at least for me, but I love the saw on the camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #42 on: September 07, 2017, 04:52:43 AM
I do a lot of mailing. I'm like poster child for keeping usps in business.  I trim a lot of shipping labels on the go and I gotta be honest, carrying scissors along is a total drag.. It's a disaster,really.

One benefits from the climber in this situation. Cutting shipping labels for Swiss army knives with Swiss army knives is a wholesome endeavor.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: September 07, 2017, 04:54:09 AM

:D

I'm actually from a heavy engineering background (components up to 10 tonne, and tooling for making components up to 400 tonne), and aside from the pliers, most tools on a multitool were woefully inadequate in the workplace. The Wave was often tool of choice, as the serrated blade and diamond file did come in useful occasionally, I think I used the saw once to make a small wooden wedge to keep a machine going when the gear selector level kept jumping out on our 10 metre lathe on an urgent job. The drivers were next to useless for me though, and I ended up striping the innards out of the Wave and building a knifeless Kick with them for urban carry. Even when I was fitting out the narrowboat, the saw was very rarely useful to me personally.

Since I've been off sick, a lot of things have changed. I always liked scissors before (even such as trimming loose flaps of skin off minor injuries, or trimming thin shim, or mitering o/ring rubber for face seals), but now even going into the next room for a pair of scissors is a journey I don't want to make unless I have to. I hardly have any need for pliers, aside from lifting the clump of soap clogged hair from the bath plughole, and very occasional other light tasks. Being more or less housebound has gotten rid of the unexpected challenges that I used to face. When I was running the boatyard and a small engineering company and a stage society, I had to be ready for anything in case the phone rang with some crisis or other. Files, saws, drivers, and everything else had to be to hand at all times, as I never knew when I would need what (and wouldn't have time to go and fetch what I didn't have). These days, I can go a week without needing more than a knife and scissors. I often still like to have more tools handy in the pocket, but the truth is I'm not up to anything much more strenuous than tightening the Phillips screw on a saucepan handle or lid at the moment  :-\

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: September 07, 2017, 05:09:49 AM
I work in software development, primarily from my apartment. I could give away all of my multitools with zero impact on my lifestyle :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: September 07, 2017, 05:13:38 AM

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: September 07, 2017, 05:14:28 AM

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #47 on: September 07, 2017, 05:22:11 AM
I´m in gardening. I use the saw every day even though there are larger dedicated tools readily available, including a chain saw. But I like having scissors on me as well.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: September 07, 2017, 07:44:44 AM
 :rofl: it's the age old argument that's never ending,I was a tradesmen for years and for the 5 odd years I did the maintenance job my MT was always on my belt,the pliers and drivers was the most used when I didn't have a Dedicated tool, it was a backup tool, now for all the years camping I carried a wave for years and it's saw was used a few times and I've also had to fix a few things with the drivers. As for everyday life it's a tough one as who knows what your day will throw at you, but for alot of us oldies  :D who have carried something for years we have got to that point where we roughly know what works for us. Tbh I carried daily for nearly 20yrs a Spartan and till getting my wave in 98 it did all I wanted, I kind of wonder if we have too many options now  :D but basicaly what works for one person might not work for another  :salute:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: September 07, 2017, 08:31:37 AM
Climber. 100%

I also broke the tie woot woot
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #50 on: September 07, 2017, 09:46:35 AM
No tie now.  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

at Offline Peter1960

Reply #51 on: September 07, 2017, 10:03:35 AM
For my way of living I can only say a saw is a saw, but a scissors a scissors, therefore I voted for Climber  :D

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #52 on: September 07, 2017, 01:37:27 PM
Huntsman

Because I want both scissors and saw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #53 on: September 07, 2017, 01:50:35 PM
I prefer scissors on my sak, just go huntsman and have saw and scissors  ;)

Yeah, pretty much this...

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #54 on: September 07, 2017, 01:55:37 PM
A knife is the wrong tool for cutting herbs, chillies and little pieces of paper? Alrighty then, agree to disagree, because on this side of the pond knives apparently must perform better :think:

A knife could certainly do the job, but scissors do it better. I like better  :D

Scissors are for precision cuts. You could use a knife, sure, but you'd need to be more careful and pay more atention to the task. When cutting a single flower stam or a piece of fruit from a tree, the knife blade could more easily damage other parts of the plants. The scissors give you accuracy.

But, hey! It's all good!
 8) 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: September 07, 2017, 01:56:41 PM
For my way of living I can only say a saw is a saw, but a scissors a scissors, therefore I voted for Climber  :D

So, basically, a saw is a saw, scissors are scissors and a Climber is a Climber?...

Makes sense.
 :cheers:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #56 on: September 07, 2017, 01:59:36 PM
I built my Master Ranger because I never can choose between the 2 (saw and scissors) :ahhh I also like having everything in the Champion besides the scaler :D

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: September 07, 2017, 03:25:17 PM
I built my Master Ranger because I never can choose between the 2 (saw and scissors) :ahhh I also like having everything in the Champion besides the scaler :D
Other people tend to buy a Huntsman or Handyman :whistle:

Ah well, we all know you're not just "another" person :angel: :tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: September 07, 2017, 05:32:43 PM
I work in software development, primarily from my apartment. I could give away all of my multitools with zero impact on my lifestyle :facepalm:

Wow, that's good to know! Thanks!
 :salute: :tu:

Here's my entry:

01 - pfrsantos

:D :D :D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #59 on: September 07, 2017, 05:34:05 PM

Wow, that's good to know! Thanks!
 :salute: :tu:

Here's my entry:

00001 - pfrsantos

:D :D :D :D
00001 - pfrsantos
00010 - Pabs
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds