Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which saks that you own do you have just for show, and which ones are your EDC?

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Hate is such a strong word....   How about unattractive, unrefined, and unnecessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I'm not exactly sure how many SAKs I bought new.  I guess it doesn't matter tho because they were bought with the full intention to use.  I traded/given away the ones that didn't work for me and then bought used SAKs as my interests widened.  I own approx 30 SAKs and about 10 or so are currently ready for action.  The others didn't work out for me so they sit. I realized tho that trading/giving them off may have be premature so I keep them now.  As my tastes change they may work for me in the future so having them on stand by makes sense.  None are what I'd call collection pieces for myself of others due to the used condition they are in, albeit good condition.

That's why I have been reluctant to offload mine that weren't getting used. Tastes do change. I now own ans carry two SAKs with a backspring Phillips. That certainly wouldn't have happened a couple of years ago

I've learned that my interests have changed and keeping ones that I initially thought made sense is a good idea.  I would have not thought I'd be carrying an 84mm Tinker.  No way would I have thought my Swisschamp or Explorer would take a back seat to that SAK.  To get rid of either my SC or Explorer doest make sense regardless if I use them as much. 

I held off using my 84mm Golfer after reading here that it was "collectable".  After it sat for a few years I realized for my situation it made no sense not to carry it.  I got it used and it lasted for who knows how many owners.  I did get rid of a few 111mm SAKs that I knew had no place in my usage.  I'm not collecting as much as I am still working my way thru variations.       
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
(Image removed from quote.)
What the hey!!!

SAKs having sex?!
I thought this was a family friendly board!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No sex, no family.  ::)
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Why collect? Because there are so many neat things out there!

IMG_3192.jpg
* IMG_3192.jpg (Filesize: 103.11 KB)
IMG_2624.jpg
* IMG_2624.jpg (Filesize: 126.24 KB)
IMG_2754.JPG
* IMG_2754.JPG (Filesize: 117.32 KB)
IMG_4937.JPG
* IMG_4937.JPG (Filesize: 104 KB)

us Offline ColoSwiss

More neat things.

IMG_6442.JPG
* IMG_6442.JPG (Filesize: 199.34 KB)
IMG_3229.jpg
* IMG_3229.jpg (Filesize: 120.51 KB)
IMG_8154.JPG
* IMG_8154.JPG (Filesize: 69.09 KB)
IMG_7431.JPG
* IMG_7431.JPG (Filesize: 77.54 KB)

us Offline ColoSwiss

And more.

IMG_1891.JPG
* IMG_1891.JPG (Filesize: 109 KB)
IMG_3937.JPG
* IMG_3937.JPG (Filesize: 68.2 KB)
IMG_2744.JPG
* IMG_2744.JPG (Filesize: 77.21 KB)
IMG_6435.JPG
* IMG_6435.JPG (Filesize: 168.45 KB)

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
wow, I hate you guys

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
What are those that look like Barlows?

us Offline ColoSwiss

What are those that look like Barlows?

Don't think any of them look like Barlows.

* images.jpg (Filesize: 4.63 KB)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
In my eyes, those with the wooden scales and single bolster do, at least a bit.
What are they?

us Offline ColoSwiss

These? They are old Wenger Farmers (bauern) knives with pressed fiber handles, like on the older Soldiers knives. A traditional Swiss/German pattern. Victorinox did a similar style of knife. All the Vics I have have horn handles.

index.jpg
* index.jpg (Filesize: 69.09 KB)
IMG_1946.jpg
* IMG_1946.jpg (Filesize: 82.25 KB)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Ah, somewhat like the older (original) Soldatenmesser. Do you know the year they switched to Alox?

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Ah, somewhat like the older (original) Soldatenmesser. Do you know the year they switched to Alox?

SAK-wiki says that the alox knives were introduced in '57 and that the Soldier model came out in '61.

On topic I have two "vintage" SAKs, a Model 1908 Soldat that I can't seem to date better than '21-'50 and a 84 mm Climber with bail. Neither is left out of rotation and the Soldat got most of a months carry during the Minimalist challenge.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice

SAK-wiki says that the alox knives were introduced in '57 and that the Soldier model came out in '61.

On topic I have two "vintage" SAKs, a Model 1908 Soldat that I can't seem to date better than '21-'50 and a 84 mm Climber with bail. Neither is left out of rotation and the Soldat got most of a months carry during the Minimalist challenge.

Good for you for carrying them  :salute: I like the sound of a 84mm climber  :tu: I like the 84mm tourist but if it had scissors it would be a perfect little edc sak  :tu:

Offline toolbox

Wow coloswiss that are some awesome knives! im not really a collector, just love the knives. But i think it is a pitty to use some of them too..  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :climber:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!

Good for you for carrying them  :salute: I like the sound of a 84mm climber  :tu: I like the 84mm tourist but if it had scissors it would be a perfect little edc sak  :tu:

The Climber Small is an excellent knife, and what led me on to accruing so many Wenger Travelers.
My first ever Swiss knife was the Tourist, and as good as it was, that was the knife that taught me (very quickly) that I should have gotten a version with scissors

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline Brock O Lee

I have a bunch of SAK's. None are display pieces, but the ones I carry 95% of the time are the Pioneer X and Rambler.

us Offline El Corkscrew

After a considerable amount of searching I've only found one and haven't brought myself to EDC it yet.....  Holding out for the Golferjack  ::)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 01:24:30 AM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline El Corkscrew

Here's my current alox edc's
alox.jpg
* alox.jpg (Filesize: 342.18 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Gotta love that red OC.  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31