Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spirit challenge

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Re: Spirit challenge
Reply #30 on: September 11, 2017, 11:23:34 PM
DAY 5

Thanks poncho! This thing's starting to grow on me :tu:
DSCN3072.JPG
* DSCN3072.JPG (Filesize: 242.73 KB)
Send In the spartans

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: September 12, 2017, 11:48:30 PM
DAY 6

0912171421b.jpg
* 0912171421b.jpg (Filesize: 193.45 KB)
Send In the spartans

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: September 14, 2017, 02:09:22 AM
DAY 7

0912171018c.jpg
* 0912171018c.jpg (Filesize: 189.07 KB)
Send In the spartans

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: September 14, 2017, 02:24:03 AM
Hey, first week completed!

How's it going so far? 

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #34 on: September 14, 2017, 08:54:54 AM
Great job buddy!!
Barry

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: September 15, 2017, 03:33:07 AM
Hey, first week completed! (Image removed from quote.)

How's it going so far?  (Image removed from quote.)
Great job buddy!!

DAY 8
Great! I like carrying the Spirit. :tu: I had to use the saw the other day to cut back a tree branch, and it did great! :cheers: Thanks a bunch for following along guys! Nice to have all of you along on this challenge :salute: I'll tell you one thing though, I can't wait to carry my Center Drive and Signal again :ahhh :ahhh :D
0914171255d.jpg
* 0914171255d.jpg (Filesize: 176.19 KB)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 03:35:51 AM by Spartan19 »
Send In the spartans

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #36 on: September 15, 2017, 03:37:03 AM
Hey, first week completed! (Image removed from quote.)

How's it going so far?  (Image removed from quote.)

DAY 8
Great! I like carrying the Spirit. :tu: I had to use the saw the other day to cut back a tree branch, and it did great! :cheers:

I've heard a few people gripe about the saw on the Spirit, but it's always done what I needed it to  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: September 15, 2017, 04:09:31 AM
S-19,
Just fouond this and it's look'n good. :2tu:
I've used the Spirit before and find it a capable medium to light weight multitool.
I'll be watching with eager anticipation of your thoughts as I am curently engaged in a challenge using the Surge instead of my 20 year EDC Swisstool.
Leatherman and Victorinox are Night and Day differant.
Keep up the good stuff and I'll be watching.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: September 16, 2017, 01:31:16 AM
Thanks Douglas and 50ft Trad! the only time I've had to use this tool so far at work is to cut open bags of Ardex for flooring, but I'm planning to really put it through it's paces this weekend :D It is really nice to carry on the belt though, half the time I forget it's there! :cheers:
DSCN3105.JPG
* DSCN3105.JPG (Filesize: 260.19 KB)
Send In the spartans

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #39 on: September 16, 2017, 12:52:46 PM
Looking good buddy!!!
Barry

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: September 16, 2017, 12:57:09 PM
Just catching up :like: :like: Not carrying a SAK has left me not getting into the Swiss forum as much lately :facepalm: Will try and keep up better :oops: :D

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: September 16, 2017, 03:10:33 PM
Thanks guys! That Surge is a neat tool Poncho, How do you like it as a work tool? :salute:
Send In the spartans

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: September 16, 2017, 07:06:22 PM
DAY 9
Thanks Douglas and 50ft Trad! the only time I've had to use this tool so far at work is to cut open bags of Ardex for flooring, but I'm planning to really put it through it's paces this weekend :D It is really nice to carry on the belt though, half the time I forget it's there! :cheers:
Send In the spartans

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: September 16, 2017, 07:09:48 PM
DAY 9

I had to saw up a tree branch for kindling, and found a decent section to make an impromptu ATYLATYL thrower. This Spirit can do it all! :like:
DSCN3112.JPG
* DSCN3112.JPG (Filesize: 281.17 KB)
DSCN3117.JPG
* DSCN3117.JPG (Filesize: 287.26 KB)
DSCN3119.JPG
* DSCN3119.JPG (Filesize: 378.99 KB)
Send In the spartans

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: September 17, 2017, 03:01:36 AM
 :like: :like:
 :tu:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: September 17, 2017, 05:12:29 AM
Thanks man! :cheers:
Send In the spartans

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: September 17, 2017, 04:36:53 PM
Thanks guys! That Surge is a neat tool Poncho, How do you like it as a work tool? :salute:

I am liking it pretty well :tu: I believe I would rather have a dedicated saw and file but the exchanger is a pretty neat thing to have sometimes :cheers: The file coming off gives me the ability to sharpen a blade and also get into some very tight spots that would normally be very hard or impossible to get to :salute:

Also more great pics and uses in here buddy :cheers: :like: :like:

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: September 18, 2017, 01:42:00 AM
DAY 10

Thanks Poncho! The exchangeable blade does seem like a cool idea, especially for construction work were the blade could get worn down quickly. Cool tool! :like: :like: Here's my pick for the day, along with some homemade pine needle tea :cheers:
DSCN3129.JPG
* DSCN3129.JPG (Filesize: 248.11 KB)
Send In the spartans

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: September 18, 2017, 01:49:27 AM
Pine needle tea?

:like:

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: September 18, 2017, 01:55:22 AM
Thanks nix! Yeah I read an article in a bushcraft magazine about making tea from pine needles ( non toxic :D). Apparently it has a lot of vitamin c and helps work as a decongestant. It tastes pretty good too! :cheers:
Send In the spartans

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: September 18, 2017, 02:14:15 AM
I like it myself!  :cheers:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #51 on: September 18, 2017, 02:39:50 AM
Add another follower of your 'Spirit'ual challenge. :D

The Spirit is my goto for days off hopping around town. I use the nylon sheath for it, because it is a little bit lower profile than the leather. It is quite capable for a light-medium duty MT. Probably the best MT for average users. The light weight and compact size are my favorite aspects of the Spirit. Sometimes, if I am wearing shorts without a belt, the Spirit is the only MT I have that I trust not to tear up my pocket liner. Although, the price of the Spirit will hurt you in the wallet pocket. 8)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: September 19, 2017, 01:30:13 AM

The Spirit is my goto for days off hopping around town. I use the nylon sheath for it, because it is a little bit lower profile than the leather. It is quite capable for a light-medium duty MT. Probably the best MT for average users. The light weight and compact size are my favorite aspects of the Spirit. Sometimes, if I am wearing shorts without a belt, the Spirit is the only MT I have that I trust not to tear up my pocket liner. Although, the price of the Spirit will hurt you in the wallet pocket. 8)

DAY 11

Thanks for following along gerleatherberman! Unfortunately, the price is pretty steep :ahhh The only reason I have one is because I found it and a pioneer x together, brand new, for $120. I really wanted a pioneer X, and thought the spirit would be neat too. I'm glad I didn't pass this one by! :like: Although, I find myself missing my Center Drive these days :cry:  :D :D
DSCN3138.JPG
* DSCN3138.JPG (Filesize: 270.71 KB)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 01:32:23 AM by Spartan19 »
Send In the spartans

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: September 19, 2017, 01:34:03 AM

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: September 19, 2017, 01:53:11 AM
Thanks buddy! :salute:
Send In the spartans

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #55 on: September 19, 2017, 02:17:34 AM

DAY 11

Thanks for following along gerleatherberman! Unfortunately, the price is pretty steep :ahhh The only reason I have one is because I found it and a pioneer x together, brand new, for $120. I really wanted a pioneer X, and thought the spirit would be neat too. I'm glad I didn't pass this one by! :like: Although, I find myself missing my Center Drive these days :cry:  :D :D

The Centre Drive really has won you over hasn't it?  :D It's interesting that some people (including Gerleatherberman) see the Spirit as a lighter duty tool somehow. I think I'd probably subject the Spirit to as much force as I would my Diesel or MP600 and I know it would handle it, yet somehow it seems "proper" to let the MP600 do the grunt work. It's as though the Gerbers (or some of them) are perceived as more of an "all-terrain" tools.  :think:

Has the Spirit let you down on anything yet, Spartan, or has it risen up to and conquered every challenge?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: September 19, 2017, 02:50:11 AM

DAY 11

The Centre Drive really has won you over hasn't it?  :D It's interesting that some people (including Gerleatherberman) see the Spirit as a lighter duty tool somehow. I think I'd probably subject the Spirit to as much force as I would my Diesel or MP600 and I know it would handle it, yet somehow it seems "proper" to let the MP600 do the grunt work. It's as though the Gerbers (or some of them) are perceived as more of an "all-terrain" tools.  :think:

Has the Spirit let you down on anything yet, Spartan, or has it risen up to and conquered every challenge?

:rofl: Oh yes! the Center Drive has been the master of my mt collection since the day I unboxed it, (Second to the Signal :whistle: :D) But, I will admit the spirit has done incredibly well. I've used it for a lot of jobs in the past few weeks, and have been pleasantly surprised. It does just as well as my Gerbers, ( although I'm partial to the gerber mt's looks) It's gone above and beyond what I ever expected of it, and has earned a place as mt of choice the next time I go on a hiking trip :like: :like: :like: :tu:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:52:29 AM by Spartan19 »
Send In the spartans

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: September 19, 2017, 06:11:01 AM
Quote from: 50ft-trad

I said light - medium. :pok:
Seriously, I could never get the kind purchase a sliding Gerber gets with its' pliars with the Spirit. The pliar opening on the spirit is smaller and the slik-handles/wider splay make gripping hard with the Spirit a hastle.
The Spirit flexes and acts strange when I grip hard with it. I have enjoyed mine, but stopped really using it hard when the plairs developed some play in the pivot. The center-drive/sliding Gerber pliars are built for a strong grip on objects that wide-splay MT handles just can't achieve. I attached a photo to show what I mean by that. See how close the Gerber handles are? Then look at the slik polished handle splay on the Spirit. It just can't grip like the Gerber sliding pliars. The Spirit onboard tools are fantastic, but I have already twisted the frame by forcing a flat head screw. The Spirit handles are no longer even at the bottom(plus developing some minor play in the tool set on thelat handle). It still works fine, but I know not to use it for heavy duty work anymore. Victorinox makes the bigger/stronger SwissTool for heavier duty tasks. :tu:
20170918_225137-1.jpeg
* 20170918_225137-1.jpeg (Filesize: 72.04 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline KandiKlover

• Classic SD - SwissChamp
Reply #58 on: September 19, 2017, 06:14:09 AM
Holding up pretty good   :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: September 19, 2017, 06:16:24 AM
Quote from:  Spartan19

DAY 11

It is a lot of fun using and learning MTs. Everyone eventually finds what they really needed! The pics are awesome! :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%