Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Last 11th Anniversary Giveaway

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
The Last 11th Anniversary Giveaway
on: September 10, 2017, 11:17:20 AM
We want some 11th anniversary giveaways feedback.     :gimme:   :gimme:

One: List your favourite giveaway types, the more you can list the better.

Two: Which methods of drawing a winner did you find interesting?

Three: What would you like to see us try next year?

Refresh your memory over here if needed. MultiTool.org 11th Anniversary Steel Forge

Other comments are okay as long as you keep it constructive.     :cheers:

If something about the giveaways was a downer for you then please discuss it via PM with a moderator.

Moving on to the prize.     :nanadance:   :nanadance:

In exchange for your feedback you'll get shot at winning a cool Leatherman Signal like this one.     :woohoo:

This giveaway is open to all MTo peeps worldwide.     :MTO:

I will let it run for approximately a week so be sure to post your feedback asap.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: The Last 11th Anniversary Giveaway
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 11:32:56 AM
Types I liked:
A guessing game GAW is always fun.
A random.org picked number from a list is simple yet exciting!
The battleships game was a very nice variation but I wouldn't do it more then 1-2x a year.
Poncho's picture challenge: SUBLIME!

Drawing winner:
The Nerf shooting was a great idea!
Yet something as simple as a child's hand in the hat is no less charming.

Next year I'd like to see you try: keeping up with prfsantos' jokes.

Seriously though, keep up the good work! I know you mods feel like you should do something new every time to keep it interesting but the truth is, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.
If members think the GAWs are boring, they simply shouldn't enter.
Personaly I found the excitement the most important part of the GAW rather then the game itself.

Like with Poncho's picture challenge! I didn't win that one but I-HAD-A-BLAST! :ahhh And I'm sure everyone involved in it did.

Thank you MTO for this amazing birthday celebration!
A very warm thank you to Grant, Poncho and Zoidberg!! :hug:
Thank you to the people behind the screens who make this all possible!

Special thanks to Leatherman, SOG, Metropolicity, MusicMen, kkokkolis, Ronald Schröder, Glenfidich, Kampfer, Captain Spaulding, Coloswiss, Grathr and anyone else who hosted/provided a GAW but who I've might forgotten to list here.

You guys rock! :salute:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:37:37 AM by Mechanickal »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 11:35:32 AM
Btw zoid, something went wrong with your link there....
I think you need this one:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=72662.0

Added "forum." In front and a "dash" behind "org". :salute:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:42:00 AM by Mechanickal »

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 12:26:38 PM
Just when I thought I was out you pull me back in.  Thanks Zoid. :like:

1) I always enjoyed the battleship game and the photo challenges that required the unusual or the obscure as in having to post a picture of a multitool with a pair of roller skates or that kind of thing. I also liked the guessing games such as guess how many tent stakes are in the pile. My favorite though was the thread killer GAW. I barely slept for 3 days while that one was going on.  The simple, maintaining a list and saying, "I'm in" is less interesting, but it gets the job done.

2) I thought the best methods of choosing a winner were shooting the Nerf darts at the figurines representing each entrant and the knife throwing. Random.org doesn't always seem to be all that random.  Drawing a number out of a hat or a jar suits me just fine.

3) I'd like to see similar GAWs next year as I enjoyed all of them.  As long as they don't require math.  I've never been very good at math.  How about a GAW a day and the winner has to have a join date on the same day such as, for a GAW on Sept.10th the winner must have joined on Sept.10th, regardless of the year, or make it easier and just say the winner has to have joined on the 10th of whatever month they joined. Or, how about require the participants to post a picture of themselves in a costume with a knife or multitool then the mods can judge for best costume.

us Offline italophil

Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 03:05:00 PM
First, let me say thank you to the guys that organized all the GAW.

I liked the formats best, that required regular submissions, either a photo or a guess. My clear favorite was the "Anything goes ... monthly challenge". For drawings I liked picking numbers from a hat and the Nerf gun shooting.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 06:17:06 PM
I, personally, prefer simple GAWs, since I usually don't have much time to be alert for photo or other complicated ones. But I want all types to be continued, in order to be enjoyed by others also. I enjoyed our shared Swisstool GAW, with Mech, because donation ensures a more active participation.
The Dart selection is good, but computerized is OK. I'm fine with anything the donor chooses.
As I said, I would leave format selection to the donors, or MTO moderators.
Long live MTO.

hr Offline styx

Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 07:31:20 PM
Not gonna enter but have to say this - I wanna see a GAW winner decided by a drunken axe throwing competition at a target with the name of those who entered
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 07:43:33 PM
Awesome prize to end the Anniversary  :like: :like:

I have had a great time being a part of all the GAWs both hosting and entering :tu:

Have had fun coming up with ideas for GAWs and also participating in all the different ones :like: :like:

Thanks to MTO, all the different donors and all thise participating on both sides of the GAWs :salute: All these have made the 11th Anniversary great :cheers:

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 10:13:35 AM
Awlsome prize and thanks for this last GAW  :cheers:

I personally enjoy the GAW's where you have to do something (like posting pictures, doing a challenge), but where the drawing is completely random. I wouldn't change anything for next year  :cheers:

A very warm thank you to Grant, Poncho and Zoidberg!! :hug:
Thank you to the people behind the screens who make this all possible!

Nothing to add to this! :hatsoff:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 10:27:31 AM
One:

I won't review the GAW lists even though I think I joined almost all of them. But the one that stuck the most and which I enjoyed the most was the time-bound one wherein we were posting like crazy almost every second! I was using my smartphone, tablet and laptop to increase my chances of winning, haha! But it was a bonding experience as well, wherein we lost sleep but kept each other company.  :tu: :tu:

The other memorable GAW was the one wherein we posted pictures of MTs and stuff every 24 hours. I really enjoyed looking at the entries worldwide.  :tu:

Two:

The method I found interesting is the one where a child picked up the winner. Followed by the chess board (?) where I won, and the knife-throwing. I like the randomness of it all. Although next time I hope there will be a live draw like what is being done with various GAWs over at Facebook.

Three:

Its a pretty solid GAW events already. But it wouldn't hurt to get Victorinox to sponsor GAWs here next year  :like:

More power to  :MTO: !

This place !!!

england Offline Kev D

Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 10:35:08 AM
Thanks for another great anniversary giveaways. The work you admins and mods put in to not only getting great prizes and then hosting the giveaways, but also the background stuff of getting mailing addresses for everyone and posting the stuff out. There seemed to be more prizes then ever this year so the task was all the more onerous for you all, and all that while also keeping an eye on all us rabble derailing the threads all over the place. Thank you just doesn't seem enough, but Thank You for all your hard work and generosity  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I enjoy all the giveaways. The different types give an opportunity for everyone to enter them. My personal favourites were the battleship game, the 30 day anything goes challenge, the car in a river photo caption and the thread killer ones.  The list types or guess how many ones also give the ocd squad a good yearly workout as well  :D

:hatsoff: to you all for the imaginative ways of drawing the winners with knife throws, nerf darts etc. it all adds to the fun of it all.

My only suggestion for next year is a little more notice for a 30 day challenge one, other than that the gaw formats work great.

Thanks again  :tu:

p.s. I already have a Signal that is hardly used, so don't add me to the draw. It's better going to someone who doesn't have one already.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:36:18 AM by Kevin Davey »

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 11:01:33 AM
I particularly like the Guessing game GAW (Poncho's LM and the firewood), the battleship GAW and caption GAW... also loved those draws other than random.org such as the hat draw, nerf darts and knife throwing...

What I would like to see next year, hopefully more than 1 brand sponsoring prizes...

Before I forget, Thank you again Grant, Zoid and Poncho for running the 11th Anniversary events... :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 05:24:41 PM
One: I personally really enjoyed all the giveaways, the one that really stuck with me is the Memorandom one becasue, I obviously won. I felt honored to have won because it was in honor of members that are no longer with us.  I am not cherishing the tools that I received.   I really liked the one where we had to post  pictures daily, i think it was for the rescue tool.  That was challenging, especialy finding the time and the items listed that were needed.  Every giveaway is exciting especially if there is opportunity to win something that we don't own.  I also liked the one where we had to identify the food the moderator was eating in a comment.  I liked the guessing one and the Random Acts of Kindness one to see how generous people are.

Two: I really like the random draw but the one I found most interesting is where the child picked the winner.  But Honestly I just appreciate the quick random number generator.

Three: Of course the giveways them selves are pretty exciting so having more :) but every giveaway is exciting, even if its for an innexpensive Vic.  Maybe have a give away where people have to post their mugshot to participate.  All giveways are good, i think having a lot of them for me is more exciting rather than have less, maybe even have them throughout the year instead of just one month.

Thank you for the opportunity to win, and all the people that make this all possible!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 05:28:37 PM by Zhenchok »
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 07:19:08 PM
Thanks to MTo and all the sponsors and everyone taking the time and effort to bring us all those wonderful GAWs!
:hatsoff:  :tu:  :cheers: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

One: List your favourite giveaway types, the more you can list the better.
I like all of them. The "show us a pic of...", "caption game" or "tell us about..." provide lots of added fun. Also the guessing ones (battleship, guess the tool, ...)
 :D

Two: Which methods of drawing a winner did you find interesting?
The random "number in a hat", "knife/axe throwing". I'm also cool with "I picked this entry because I wanted to". If anyone hosts a GAW, they're more than in their right to chose who wins.
 :salute:

Three: What would you like to see us try next year?
Whatever you do, I'm sure it'll be fun and enjoyable.
 :cheers: :drink:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 07:20:50 PM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 08:01:59 PM
Uh uh love me the Signal. Thank you for the chance.

1. Post pictures of this and that. Guess what's under here. Eths crime mysteries. Battleship!

2. Throwing knives, arrows axes at names.

3. A GAW with daily tasks, post picture of this and that, say how many teeth a saw has, vote on your favourite crossdressing bearded canuck etc.
Some Saks (even custom or custom scales) would be cool prizes.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 08:05:35 PM by Corwyn »
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline lichan

Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 11:25:38 PM
Wow, another awesome giveaway! Thanks to all the sponsors, moderators and members who gave of their time, money and hardware to make this the best anniversary yet! (OK, I've only been a member for 3 or 4 years.)
All the giveaways were great! Since we have members from all over the world, the one's that have first to respond wins, etc. seem a little unfair because not everyone is on the same time - some members are sleeping when the contest goes up but ultimately that's still OK because there are enough for everyone to have a chance at something. The caption contest was fun as the odd photo combination contest.
I think the random number generation is fine; some of the more "creative" selection techniques tended to postpone the decision and increase the anticipation to uncomfortable levels.
As for future anniversaries, just do more of the same. Each year some favorites are repeated and some new and entertaining contests are introduced. They were all fun and enjoyable.
A note to future commercial sponsors: it really helped keep your name in front of many potential customers for more than two months and created a lot of good atttention and appreciation. I know I made it a point to go to their websites and look through all of their products.

us Offline redmond

Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 03:00:40 PM
I liked all of them. The most fun for me:
  • 24 hr picture posting of random items with an MT
  • Post a caption
  • First to post _____
Greg
LM: PST II, Crunch (x2), Squirt, Micra, Skeletool, Rebar, Wave
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18
 Gerber: Mr. Pinchy, MP600

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 12:40:22 AM
It's been an exciting summer this year, with a lot of fun and different style giveaways.

My personal favorites were:

The Battleship givaway, like the "Ocean's Eleven - Man The Cannons" giveaway this year.  I love this one every year, the excitement when you're waiting to see if you got a hit or a miss (already thinking about which grid you're going to pick next time ...).  I also like the giveaways where the contenders need to post daily pics, like "The Spectacular MTO Picture and a Multitool GAW" this year, or the "Farmer Smurf to the Rescue" giveaway, just to name two ...

Best way to pick a winner was by nerf gun, or the names in a hat being drawn by an innocent children's hand  ;).

What to improve ... well, if it ain't broke don't fix it.  Only thing I can say is that I personally would like to see more pic posting giveaways, since those are a lot of fun to participate in, and a lot of fun to read/watch  :tu:.

And last but not least, I would like to thank everybody here at MTO, Grant, the Moderators, the other members and the brands and members that donated all these great goodies for these giveaways.  This place is just amazing ... best place on the net.  Keep up the good works everybody  :hatsoff:.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 02:15:11 AM
I didn't get involved in all or follow the giveaways (I found it hard to keep track  :ahhh), so I'm sure there's lots I missed out on. I did see quite a few though  :salute:

1) My favourite giveaways are those that take more effort than just putting a name on the list. Battleships (of course  :D), the 30 day challenge, and anything that requires participation.

2) Favourite drawing method, is again the ones that are more participatory, or simply where you can actually see how the winner was chosen. The spinner was an excellent idea for example, but even a child drawing a name from a hat is cool too. Random.org is all well and good, but it's nice to see the process.

3) What I'd like to see is the mods winning something. Maybe there's a draw that goes off behind closed doors in the super secret forums, but I'd like to see that competition, and know that our mods aren't just doing all the work, but are winning prizes too.  :cheers:

... and of course I would like to thank everybody who participated in the 11th Anniversary, from Grant and the admin team, through all the corporate and individual prize donors, and the participants themselves. Another awesome month of fun and frivolity at MT.O, and may we all continue for decades to come  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 09:49:20 AM
Btw zoid, something went wrong with your link there....
I think you need this one:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=72662.0

Added "forum." In front and a "dash" behind "org". :salute:

Nar mate, link works fine...

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 09:51:56 AM
Not gonna enter but have to say this - I wanna see a GAW winner decided by a drunken axe throwing competition at a target with the name of those who entered

Noted.   :tu:   :like:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 09:54:40 AM
Although next time I hope there will be a live draw like what is being done with various GAWs over at Facebook.

I'm not a FB person but I'm keen for trying a live draw.   :tu:   :like:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 09:57:31 AM
My only suggestion for next year is a little more notice for a 30 day challenge one...

Yeah mate that was totally my bad.   :facepalm:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 10:12:38 AM

Although next time I hope there will be a live draw like what is being done with various GAWs over at Facebook.

Does anyone know what is required for running a live draw? I have an axe, alcohol and could probably borrow a gopro type camera...

se Offline RF52

Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 11:26:00 AM
I really liked the photo based GAW's and the guessing game GAW's. The random drawing, like pulling a number out of a hat was fun. As a new member I got a bit overwhelmed by all the GAW's in the anniversary month so I think just keep up the good work everyone

Sent fra min PLK-L01 via Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 11:49:49 AM
My only suggestion for next year is a little more notice for a 30 day challenge one...

Yeah mate that was totally my bad.   :facepalm:

I am just as much to blame on that one :facepalm: We had planned on something and then I totally forgot to get it going on time :oops:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 01:52:13 PM

Does anyone know what is required for running a live draw? I have an axe, alcohol and could probably borrow a gopro type camera...

Sorry, i can't help with that. I've not attempted any vids myself.... yet

All I would add here, is that if the draw is held on FB myself and several others would not see it. Do we really want to lure traffic away from the forum? Surely we would be better using FB to attract more traffic here  :think:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: September 13, 2017, 02:07:51 PM
An0nemus and Zoid were only saying they would be keen on draws like they have on FB ;) We definitely don't want to draw anyone away from here but would rather the FB members of MTO to be drawn here :salute:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 02:20:19 PM
An0nemus and Zoid were only saying they would be keen on draws like they have on FB ;) We definitely don't want to draw anyone away from here but would rather the FB members of MTO to be drawn here :salute:

Gotcha!  :tu: Thanks for the correction/clarification  :cheers:

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 02:46:58 PM
First, and most important, thank you to all the mods and admin staff who keep this place running. Second, thanks to all the forum members who make this place what it is: the greatest forum on the 'net. Third, thanks to all the sponsors and generous individuals who support the forum and the giveaways.

Now, on to the feedback...

One - Favourite GAWs: I like the post a pic or story ones most. Other faves are: battleship, solve a mystery/puzzle, and carry type challenges.

Two - Methods of drawing a winner: Anything creative (ie not random.org) is interesting. That being said, considering the number of GAWs, it might not always be practical.

Three - Next Year: As long as there is variety in the types of GAWs and the prizes, I think the basic formula works quite well. Would be nice to have an idea of all the upcoming GAWs (except the flash GAWs of course) a bit in advance, but that might be a bit too much overhead and I can see some people not liking the lack of surprise. I just find it can be tricky to try and keep up with everything as the posting gets quite intense during the anniversary period.

Once again, thanks to everyone who helps make this place great.

Here's to another 11 years! :drink:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD