Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Newbie Vic modder: 84mm/85mm/91mm interchangeability...?

Offline George S

Newbie Vic modder: 84mm/85mm/91mm interchangeability...?
on: September 10, 2017, 11:24:32 AM
Greeatings fellow SAK fans!
I'm a long-time Vic-carrier & medium-term lurker here; what a wealth of info, so thanks to everyone before I even start.

Just about to give a first mod a go and I'm hoping to make my dream SAK by combining the best bits from:

84mm (Bantam's combo tool - love it or hate it, it'll mean one less layer if I can fit in place of the small blade on a 91mm and therefore remove the caplifter/canopener layer)
85mm (Vic version of Wenger's S557: I'd like to steal the wrench/spanner and maybe the slipjoint pliers)
91mm (a Swisschamp will be the main donor/recipient of parts)

So, I hope to put the parts into a 91mm 'frame'. Will there be issues regarding spring shapes & lengths? I think I'll have to drill out at least one tool to fit 2.5mm brass pins, but are there other pitfalls I'm too inexperienced to see...?

Basically, am I on a hiding-to-nothing here, or, with a little work, is this combining of sizes even viable?

Thanks for your time in advance, from George

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Re: Newbie Vic modder: 84mm/85mm/91mm interchangeability...?
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 12:17:02 PM
Bantam combo tool will fit in place of the small blade, but will sit a bit low.  If you can get one, use the combo tool from a Compact instead - you won't need to drill it out.

Not played with any 85mm/Wenger bits, but the wrench is the same thickness as the phillips driver on the 91mm frame so it might fit opposite that with minimal modifications.  As for the slip joint pliers, not sure sorry.  It'll probably work with enough grinding, spacers and general smurfing about.

Offline George S

Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 12:54:00 PM
...use the combo tool from a Compact instead - you won't need to drill it out.

...the wrench is the same thickness as the phillips driver on the 91mm frame so it might fit opposite that with minimal modifications.
This, this is why I asked here. Excellent advice. I've scrubbed the Bantam from my sights, thus removing the 84mm issue entirely (found a cheap DofE to order - quite fancy giving a backside phillips a go, and the rounded blade intrigues me for use as a sandwich-filler-spreader...)

A thousand thank-yous, hiraethus! (Also, love your Mint Sauce pic  :tu:)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 01:16:20 PM by George S »

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 10:53:37 AM
You're very welcome (and glad you like Mint too). :tu:

Have a look at this topic - I knew I'd seen it done somewhere: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,44693.0.html

Good luck with the mod and welcome to the forum.  Let us know how you get on. :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%