Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

El Corkscrew's You-Call-It 30 Day Alox Challenge

Poll

Which alox SAK for 30 days?

Farmer
8 (30.8%)
Black Pioneer
2 (7.7%)
OC Pioneer
7 (26.9%)
Soldier
3 (11.5%)
SI
1 (3.8%)
Cadet
5 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: September 13, 2017, 03:47:22 AM

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Re: El Corkscrew's You-Call-It 30 Day Alox Challenge
Reply #30 on: September 12, 2017, 12:49:14 AM
Gave the saw a shot at cutting a baguette... got the job done but using the main blade is much cleaner.  :D

that's one use  :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: September 12, 2017, 01:35:30 AM
Well, you are off to a great start, Woody.

Seriously, I'm kinda looking forward to see how you deal with using just one SAK for 30 days. Is it possible for El C to do this?   :pok:

Why do I have the feeling we'll start seeing a bunch of YouTube videos where Swiss Army Dan is fondling celidor SAK's? :popcorn:

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: September 12, 2017, 02:05:33 AM

Seriously, I'm kinda looking forward to see how you deal with using just one SAK for 30 days. Is it possible for El C to do this? (Image removed from quote.)  :pok:

Why do I have the feeling we'll start seeing a bunch of YouTube videos where Swiss Army Dan is fondling celidor SAK's? (Image removed from quote.) :popcorn:
Oh man, i hope that's not breaking the rules!
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #33 on: September 12, 2017, 02:26:49 AM

Seriously, I'm kinda looking forward to see how you deal with using just one SAK for 30 days. Is it possible for El C to do this? (Image removed from quote.)  :pok:

Why do I have the feeling we'll start seeing a bunch of YouTube videos where Swiss Army Dan is fondling celidor SAK's? (Image removed from quote.) :popcorn:

well its definitely stretching it  :D

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #34 on: September 12, 2017, 07:56:06 AM
Voted Soldier  :salute:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #35 on: September 12, 2017, 08:00:21 AM

I've been surprised more members didn't vote SI or Soldier.   :think:    I know the Farmer is an old favorite though...

I like the idea of this challenge tho.  It's awlready saving me time.  :D
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #36 on: September 12, 2017, 08:08:43 AM

I've been surprised more members didn't vote SI or Soldier.   :think:    I know the Farmer is an old favorite though...

I like the idea of this challenge tho.  It's awlready saving me time.  :D

I don't want to speak ill of the Farmer, but I think for most people the wood saw won't see much use on the daily basis.
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #37 on: September 12, 2017, 10:39:06 AM

I don't want to speak ill of the Farmer, but I think for most people the wood saw won't see much use on the daily basis.

Understood. I'll be thinking of ways to use it and perhaps I'll stumble upon a new use, fingers crossed 😊   i must say the Farmer feels nice and solid.  This is a pre '04 I scored off el Capitan Spaulding, a bit thicker blade and more aggressive return and open than my newer Alox :cheers:

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #38 on: September 12, 2017, 10:52:53 AM

Rules? Where we're going we don't need Rules.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=874ZbBlO87w

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #39 on: September 12, 2017, 11:55:52 AM

2017 and the closest thing that we have to a Mr. Fusion car is Tesla... Teslas pretty cool, but not as cool as a cold fusion powered car!  :-\
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: September 12, 2017, 12:16:21 PM

2017 and the closest thing that we have to a Mr. Fusion car is Tesla... Teslas pretty cool, but not as cool as a cold fusion powered car!  :-\

I don't think Tesla cars are cool, here they are pretentious ego-mobiles. I would prefer a Chevy Volt any day.  :D
Just thinking performance wise.  ;)
P90D is certainly a rich boys car, but is a smurf of a lot cheaper than a used bugatti veyron, and only 0.1 sec slower 0-60.  :ahhh
Plus it can seat 4 adults plus 3 kids.  :D
And has left over space for shopping under the bonnet.

All hail the hook!

us Offline twiliter

Reply #41 on: September 12, 2017, 12:20:14 PM

I don't think Tesla cars are cool, here they are pretentious ego-mobiles. I would prefer a Chevy Volt any day.  :D
P90D is certainly a rich boys car, but is a smurf of a lot cheaper than a used bugatti veyron, and only 0.1 sec slower 0-60.  :ahhh

Maybe a good car, but not practical for my needs vs. the expense. If I wanted to be a conspicuous consumer I might think differently.

On the other hand I do like fancy SAKs!  :D

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: September 12, 2017, 01:32:14 PM

Maybe a good car, but not practical for my needs vs. the expense. If I wanted to be a conspicuous consumer I might think differently.

I did say rich boys car.  :D

Model 3 on the other hand... Not quite low cost, but a lot closer.  :think:

All hail the hook!

us Offline twiliter

Reply #43 on: September 12, 2017, 02:44:38 PM

I did say rich boys car.  :D

Model 3 on the other hand... Not quite low cost, but a lot closer.  :think:

If you can find one, but still too much $ for what you get. My problem with luxury cars is that the extra do dads and bragging rights do not justify the costs. I could probably get a much fancier car than the one I have, but it wouldn't necessarily be better for what I need in a car. I'd rather save the money for other vices like my SAK collection, which still amounts to a small fraction of the difference between a practical and fancy car. Some ppl are into fancy cars, I can respect that, I'm just not one of them. Good quality, economical, and well maintained yes, fancy, no. :)

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #44 on: September 12, 2017, 03:20:40 PM
The Farmer is nice but not for everyday cary as you probably dont need a saw all the time on you.  The Red OC Pioneer is cool because it already has some pocket wear and has a nice aged look to it.
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #45 on: September 12, 2017, 10:54:10 PM
I'm still driving a Farmer, brought the minichamp along today just in case I need to give myself a manicure after opening up the aspirin I needed to take after the above derailment.  :pok: :D jk

I'd happily sport a Tesla

:salute:
WP_20170912_13_08_53_Pro (2) (1).jpg
* WP_20170912_13_08_53_Pro (2) (1).jpg (Filesize: 327.9 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #46 on: September 12, 2017, 11:01:36 PM
"brought the minichamp along today just in case I need..."

Yeah, yeah, yeah....every Celidor junkie starts the same way...."oh, the Classic was just on my keychain...uh...I forgot it was there....I can give up Celidor any time...It's just not a problem for me....."

Oh, you are on thin Farmer Challenge ice there, Woody.   :pok:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #47 on: September 12, 2017, 11:10:01 PM
"brought the minichamp along today just in case I need..."

Yeah, yeah, yeah....every Celidor junkie starts the same way...."oh, the Classic was just on my keychain...uh...I forgot it was there....I can give up Celidor any time...It's just not a problem for me....."

Oh, you are on thin Farmer Challenge ice there, Woody.   :pok:

I make the rules here!!!   :rofl:   There will always be a 58mm on the keychain.    Believe me, this is challenge enough to settle on one pocket carry for 30 whole days!!!  :ahhh

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #48 on: September 12, 2017, 11:23:33 PM
Carrying a second Swiss knife of any size is cheating  :twak: You should ditch all others, reset the clock and start again  :pok:

If you can't manage with just the one, that's challenge failed. When you can manage with just one, that has all the right tools on for you, there's no need to say "You were right, Al", as I already know.  :whistle:

>:D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: September 12, 2017, 11:43:35 PM
I like the way you're holding Woody's feet to the fire there, 50ft.  >:D

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #50 on: September 12, 2017, 11:49:16 PM

You guys are silly.    With this ideology everyone should just buy a Swisschamp and be done with it.  The main reason I'm doing this is to save time picking an EDC.   I will not be coerced into ditching my key chain carry.   :cheers:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #51 on: September 12, 2017, 11:51:49 PM
Used the blade to trim some shipping labels.  It was faster than using scissors.  :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: September 13, 2017, 12:04:34 AM

You guys are silly.    With this ideology everyone should just buy a Swisschamp and be done with it.  The main reason I'm doing this is to save time picking an EDC.   I will not be coerced into ditching my key chain carry.   :cheers:

I think we need to break this down into bite size chunks  :P

You guys are silly.

Frequently. But often insightful too  >:D

With this ideology everyone should just buy a Swisschamp and be done with it.

Nah. Field of view in the mag glass is too small, and nobody needs the fish tickler. Ascending order of needs is Climber, Ranger, CT41  :salute: Everything else is just for folks who haven't realised this yet  :rofl: Keyring carry for back up is perfectly understandable though, and a very wise thing to do for everyone who isn't supposed to be doing a 30 day challenge :pok:

The main reason I'm doing this is to save time picking an EDC.

I refer you once again to the second line of answer two (Climber, Ranger, CT41)  >:D

I will not be coerced into ditching my key chain carry.

Cheat  :pok: Cheat  :pok: Cheat  :pok:  :D :D :D

If you absolutely have to have it as back up of life gets squiffy, then fair play to you. Nobody wants to see any of us suffer unnecessarily. Do try to attempt everything with the challenge knife first though, and do 'fess up if you "fail" with it, and have to fall back on the keyring carry  :cheers:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #53 on: September 13, 2017, 12:09:10 AM

Nah. Field of view in the mag glass is too small, and nobody needs the fish tickler. Ascending order of needs is Climber, Ranger, CT41  :salute: Everything else is just for folks who haven't realised this yet  :rofl: Keyring carry for back up is perfectly understandable though, and a very wise thing to do for everyone who isn't supposed to be doing a 30 day challenge :pok:

So... what you're saying is alox is useless?   :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: September 13, 2017, 12:26:03 AM

So... what you're saying is alox is useless?   :D

I wouldn't go quite that far  :whistle: I'm a big fan of the Alox Rambler, but that's as back up or for when I'm bereft of pocket space.
I do have plans for a 93mm mod actually, but not got parts for the scissor layer yet. I think the Pioneer X looks like a very capable tool, but I'll be dispensing with those scales.

*shudder*

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #55 on: September 13, 2017, 03:10:18 AM
And the sun goes down
WP_20170912_18_03_35_Rich (2).jpg
* WP_20170912_18_03_35_Rich (2).jpg (Filesize: 179.77 KB)

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #56 on: September 13, 2017, 12:26:58 PM

I think we need to break this down into bite size chunks  :P

You guys are silly.

Frequently. But often insightful too  >:D

The main reason I'm doing this is to save time picking an EDC.

I refer you once again to the second line of answer two (Climber, Ranger, CT41)  >:D

I will not be coerced into ditching my key chain carry.

Cheat  :pok: Cheat  :pok: Cheat  :pok:  :D :D :D

If you absolutely have to have it as back up of life gets squiffy, then fair play to you. Nobody wants to see any of us suffer unnecessarily. Do try to attempt everything with the challenge knife first though, and do 'fess up if you "fail" with it, and have to fall back on the keyring carry  :cheers:

So we're clear Dan do you agree with M'Learned friend 50ft's principle of Alox first and, then only your keychain if you've not succeeded AND "fess up if you fail"?
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline twiliter

Reply #57 on: September 13, 2017, 05:17:45 PM
I'm still driving a Farmer, brought the minichamp along today just in case I need to give myself a manicure after opening up the aspirin I needed to take after the above derailment.  :pok: :D jk

I'd happily sport a Tesla

:salute:

Well if someone gave me one...

Show content
I would sell it, go get the car I really wanted, and pocket the rest to fund my SAK addiction!  :P

Sorry about the headache El C, take two alox and call ? in the morning.  :D

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Reply #58 on: September 13, 2017, 05:23:28 PM

Sounds like something you'd find on the SAKMC thread.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #59 on: September 13, 2017, 07:38:18 PM
I think I'll need to bow out since it does not appear that I am completing this challenge in the MTO spirit...  Doing this more to save time than make discoveries about the usefulness a SAK, not a badge or bragging rights.

For me, carrying a SAK without a compliment on the key chain feels like wearing shoes without socks.

I will try to think of a new way to help me with my indecisiveness.

Maybe I'll carry each one as many days as votes received...    yes that sounds good
 :tu:

I sincerely thank you all for your input!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%