Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

El Corkscrew's You-Call-It 30 Day Alox Challenge

Poll

Which alox SAK for 30 days?

Farmer
8 (30.8%)
Black Pioneer
2 (7.7%)
OC Pioneer
7 (26.9%)
Soldier
3 (11.5%)
SI
1 (3.8%)
Cadet
5 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: September 13, 2017, 03:47:22 AM

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Re: El Corkscrew's You-Call-It 30 Day Alox Challenge
Reply #60 on: September 13, 2017, 07:46:58 PM
I think I'll need to bow out since it does not appear that I am completing this challenge in the MTO spirit...  Doing this more to save time than make discoveries about the usefulness a SAK, not a badge or bragging rights.

For me, carrying a SAK without a compliment on the key chain feels like wearing shoes without socks.

I will try to think of a new way to help me with my indecisiveness.

Maybe I'll carry each one as many days as votes received...    yes that sounds good
 :tu:

I sincerely thank you all for your input!

If you carry a keychain SAK anyway, I don't see the problem, they are not stand alone challenges AFAIK. Hang in there El C, it's just about carrying and posting whatever challenge model you choose for 30 days, except the minimal challenge which was any 2 layer any day for 30 days. The minimal challenge was harder for me to do than any other. When I did the Spirit challenge I had to resort to the SwissChamp and the Signature a few times, but it was only because the Spirit has limitations, I did try to use it first. That's the spirit of the challenge IMHO, as long as you give the Farmer a chance at it first, and then you can post the limitations of the Farmer as part of the challenge. It's all good and it's not so very serious that we shouldn't have some fun for goodness sake.  :)

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #61 on: September 13, 2017, 07:54:24 PM
I think I'll need to bow out since it does not appear that I am completing this challenge in the MTO spirit...  Doing this more to save time than make discoveries about the usefulness a SAK, not a badge or bragging rights.

For me, carrying a SAK without a compliment on the key chain feels like wearing shoes without socks.

Maybe I'll carry each one as many days as votes received...    yes that sounds good

If you carry a keychain SAK anyway, I don't see the problem, they are not stand alone challenges AFAIK. Hang in there El C, it's just about carrying and posting whatever challenge model you choose for 30 days, except the minimal challenge which was any 2 layer any day for 30 days. The minimal challenge was harder for me to do than any other. When I did the Spirit challenge I had to resort to the SwissChamp and the Signature a few times, but it was only because the Spirit has limitations, I did try to use it first. That's the spirit of the challenge IMHO, as long as you give the Farmer a chance at it first, and then you can post the limitations of the Farmer as part of the challenge. It's all good and it's not so very serious that we shouldn't have some fun for goodness sake.  :)

Thanks bro!
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline twiliter

Reply #62 on: September 13, 2017, 07:56:05 PM
If you want a difficult challenge, try a Leatherman challenge, the crap scissors and can opener alone will send you running back to Swiss Made for good!  :D

:cheers:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:59:45 PM by twiliter »

us Offline twiliter

Reply #63 on: September 13, 2017, 08:02:21 PM
Also, Farmers are exceptional pumpkin carvers, and Winter Fall is Coming.  :salute:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #64 on: September 13, 2017, 08:08:31 PM
Also, Farmers are exceptional pumpkin carvers, and Winter Fall is Coming.  :salute:

Oh man, i suddenly wish to carve a G o T-inspired pumpkin... 
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #65 on: September 13, 2017, 08:31:26 PM

Thanks bro!

This Dan, absolutely this, you had enough gumption to come up with the idea after all ! I say keep at it - but you'll need a fish scaler for decent pumpkin carving  >:D
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #66 on: September 13, 2017, 08:41:10 PM

Thanks bro!

This Dan, absolutely this, you had enough gumption to come up with the idea after all ! I say keep at it - but you'll need a fish scaler for decent pumpkin carving  >:D

Thanks Phil!  I really appreciate it! I'll hang in there.

I cleaned my fingernails with the awl and though there are some scratches on the underside of my nails, the dirt has been removed.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #67 on: September 13, 2017, 10:07:18 PM
 :ahhh :ahhh

Don't give up so easy, Dan  :twak: Like I say, if life gets all squiffy without the keyring carry, then keep it.  :tu: Just try to use the Farmer first whenever possible (so long as it's not trimming nasal hair  :ahhh), and shout up when you're faced with non-Farmer friendly tasks that crop up. That way you get a better appreciation of it's strengths and limitations, plus we learn through you  :cheers:

It's not supposed to make life unbearable (which is why I don't do them, cos it was unbearable for me), it's supposed to make it more fun.  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #68 on: September 13, 2017, 10:17:17 PM

Don't give up so easy, Dan  :twak: Like I say, if life gets all squiffy without the keyring carry, then keep it.  :tu: Just try to use the Farmer first whenever possible (so long as it's not trimming nasal hair  :ahhh), and shout up when you're faced with non-Farmer friendly tasks that crop up. That way you get a better appreciation of it's strengths and limitations, plus we learn through you  :cheers:

It's not supposed to make life unbearable (which is why I don't do them, cos it was unbearable for me), it's supposed to make it more fun.  :tu:

First task the Farmer could not complete was signing the attendance sheet at a meeting I just attended... so much better to produce a pen from your SAK than asking someone to borrow theirs.  I strongly considered pulling out the Farmer, cutting my finger, and writing my name in blood but wussed out and opted to use El Signature Amarillo instead.

So, it's looking like the REAL challenge for me would be to go w/out a 58mm... but I would probably just end up carrying a celli w/plus scales...   :-\
avb.jpg
* avb.jpg (Filesize: 165.2 KB)

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #69 on: September 13, 2017, 10:29:38 PM

First task the Farmer could not complete was signing the attendance sheet at a meeting I just attended... so much better to produce a pen from your SAK than asking someone to borrow theirs.  I strongly considered pulling out the Farmer, cutting my finger, and writing my name in blood but wussed out and opted to use El Signature Amarillo instead.

:pok:
So, it's looking like the REAL challenge for me would be to go w/out a 58mm... but I would probably just end up carrying a celli w/plus scales...   :-\

Good man Dan. I'm liking the reasoning - but surely you could always carve your name into the attendance sheet  with the awl ? :doh:

And yep going without 58mm would be a real challenge for me too
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #70 on: September 13, 2017, 10:48:47 PM

You may have never heard of this, but they do make pens that are not part of a SAK. These pens just write, and that's it. No knives, nail files or can openers, just a pen.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #71 on: September 13, 2017, 10:49:11 PM

You may have never heard of this, but they do make pens that are not part of a SAK. These pens just write, and that's it. No knives, nail files or can openers, just a pen.

sounds lame.  :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #72 on: September 13, 2017, 11:00:40 PM

The hardest part of the Pioneer X challenge was going without my beloved Classic. And I had scissors. Must be a psychological thing.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #73 on: September 14, 2017, 05:22:10 PM
Light morning duty for El Farmer...   But it most certainly showed el Banana & Pistachio Muffin who's the boss!   :salute:
WP_20170914_07_53_39_Pro (2).jpg
* WP_20170914_07_53_39_Pro (2).jpg (Filesize: 230.4 KB)
WP_20170914_08_13_20_Pro (2) (1).jpg
* WP_20170914_08_13_20_Pro (2) (1).jpg (Filesize: 243.32 KB)
tony1.jpg
* tony1.jpg (Filesize: 43.63 KB)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #74 on: September 14, 2017, 09:11:35 PM
Going good M'Lord - all the naysayers (Al, I'm looking at you  :pok:) are just part of the challenge. Stay Frosty Bud.  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #75 on: September 14, 2017, 10:43:00 PM
Going good M'Lord - all the naysayers (Al, I'm looking at you  :pok:) are just part of the challenge. Stay Frosty Bud.  :cheers:

What?  :angel:

Just offering support and constructive criticism  :whistle: He's doing just fine  :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #76 on: September 15, 2017, 03:51:46 PM
Keeping you company, El C, with a well tethered duo today:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #77 on: September 15, 2017, 05:19:45 PM
Keeping you company, El C, with a well tethered duo today:

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks bro! That's a nice green  :cheers:

WP_20170915_07_20_24_Pro (7).jpg
* WP_20170915_07_20_24_Pro (7).jpg (Filesize: 269.57 KB)

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: September 15, 2017, 09:26:37 PM

If you cut your finger they'll have to call the Bio hazard team to clean it up then make you sit through Blood born pathogens class. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:33:51 PM by gene stoner »
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #79 on: September 15, 2017, 10:01:19 PM
 :rofl:tell me about it  :facepalm:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #80 on: September 15, 2017, 10:05:19 PM
Admittedly used the 58 MM scissors today when a young lady needed the film from a canvas removed... Didn't want to be threatening with the 93mm blade... I guess I could have used the awl, but instead I reached for the 58MM. 

I think I just failed at this challenge again. :facepalm:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #81 on: September 15, 2017, 10:39:31 PM
Fail?

I dunno. Your challenge is to stick with a Farmer for 30-days. A Farmer, knowing that you'd have a keychain knife with you as well. You made a judgement call that seems  reasonable. I'd say you are still "par for the course" and can play on.

Or, are you looking for a reason to abandon the challenge? I think the only 'fail' would be to drop the reliable and handy Farmer at this point. And didn't we all learn that scissors... ***cough, cough, Pioneer X, cough***... are a darned handy thing to have in your pocket.

I'm not letting you off that easy. Play on!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #82 on: September 15, 2017, 10:50:24 PM
Fail?

I dunno. Your challenge is to stick with a Farmer for 30-days. A Farmer, knowing that you'd have a keychain knife with you as well. You made a judgement call that seems  reasonable. I'd say you are still "par for the course" and can play on.

Or, are you looking for a reason to abandon the challenge? I think the only 'fail' would be to drop the reliable and handy Farmer at this point. And didn't we all learn that scissors... ***cough, cough, Pioneer X, cough***... are a darned handy thing to have in your pocket.

I like the Farmer a lot...  only drawbacks for me are the added weight/size (which really isn't bad).  Though it is mildly difficult to avoid carrying other SAKs, I like not having to decide... So I'm thinking there may be more self-imposed you-call-it challenges similar to this for me in the future.... with LOTS of other SAK options!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:51:42 PM by El Corkscrew »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #83 on: September 15, 2017, 11:02:53 PM
Admittedly used the 58 MM scissors today when a young lady needed the film from a canvas removed... Didn't want to be threatening with the 93mm blade... I guess I could have used the awl, but instead I reached for the 58MM. 

I think I just failed at this challenge again. :facepalm:

I was tempted to comment when I read this, but it seems Nix has things under control  :D

Fail?

I like the Farmer a lot...  only drawbacks for me are the added weight/size (which really isn't bad).  Though it is mildly difficult to avoid carrying other SAKs, I like not having to decide... So I'm thinking there may be more self-imposed you-call-it challenges similar to this for me in the future.... with LOTS of other SAK options!

Spending extended periods with tools is the best way to figure out your own personal compatibility with them. I have done this time and time again (albeit not giving daily updates). You don't just learn things about the tool, but also about your own preferences and needs. On the days when you just don't seem to have the right tools, it's also a good exercise in improvisation  ;) I say go for it Dan  :tu: At times it might get annoying or frustrating, but that's when you find out if you and the tool were made for each other   :cheers:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #84 on: September 16, 2017, 12:49:26 AM
Farmer's got this one  TGIF!   :cheers:
WP_20170915_15_44_20_Pro.jpg
* WP_20170915_15_44_20_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 147.04 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #85 on: September 16, 2017, 12:52:46 AM

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #86 on: September 16, 2017, 06:46:21 AM
I'm helping in a group buy of SAKs and am shipping these out to their owners today. Its my first time to actually hold  alox SAKs and I was keen on checking out the Farmer and Pioneer (no X, unfortunately).

While I like the heft of the Farmer and slimness of the Pioneer, I have been heavily influenced by 50ft-trad to see scissors as essential in a SAK, and so I'm still lusting after a PX.

Just sharing  :D

Stay the course, El C!  :cheers:

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 06:48:31 AM by an0nemus »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #87 on: September 16, 2017, 09:17:48 PM
I'm helping in a group buy of SAKs and am shipping these out to their owners today. Its my first time to actually hold  alox SAKs and I was keen on checking out the Farmer and Pioneer (no X, unfortunately).

While I like the heft of the Farmer and slimness of the Pioneer, I have been heavily influenced by 50ft-trad to see scissors as essential in a SAK, and so I'm still lusting after a PX.

Just sharing  :D

Stay the course, El C!  :cheers:

(Image removed from quote.)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Thanks Dude!  I appreciate it.  If anything, this challenge is teaching me to appreciate the lighter weight Pioneer and the eternal usefulness of El Compact.  I may end up getting a PX, just have kept away so far b/c I usually stick to stuff made pre 04... and I've got plenty of Compacts, Climbers, Huntsmans etc if I want scissors..   Maybe I can find someone who will trade for soldier or something.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 09:19:01 PM by El Corkscrew »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #88 on: September 16, 2017, 09:20:28 PM
 :salute:
WP_20170916_10_56_17_Pro.jpg
* WP_20170916_10_56_17_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 227.45 KB)
fa.jpg
* fa.jpg (Filesize: 319.27 KB)

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #89 on: September 16, 2017, 09:26:18 PM
:salute:

:think: Obviously no Spartans here. I can see that.... ahem  :pok:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!