Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

El Corkscrew's You-Call-It 30 Day Alox Challenge

Poll

Which alox SAK for 30 days?

Farmer
8 (30.8%)
Black Pioneer
2 (7.7%)
OC Pioneer
7 (26.9%)
Soldier
3 (11.5%)
SI
1 (3.8%)
Cadet
5 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: September 13, 2017, 03:47:22 AM

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: El Corkscrew's You-Call-It 30 Day Alox Challenge
Reply #90 on: September 16, 2017, 09:27:29 PM
I'm helping in a group buy of SAKs and am shipping these out to their owners today. Its my first time to actually hold  alox SAKs and I was keen on checking out the Farmer and Pioneer (no X, unfortunately).

While I like the heft of the Farmer and slimness of the Pioneer, I have been heavily influenced by 50ft-trad to see scissors as essential in a SAK, and so I'm still lusting after a PX.

Just sharing  :D

Stay the course, El C!  :cheers:

(Image removed from quote.)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Thanks Dude!  I appreciate it.  If anything, this challenge is teaching me to appreciate the lighter weight Pioneer and the eternal usefulness of El Compact.  I may end up getting a PX, just have kept away so far b/c I usually stick to stuff made pre 04... and I've got plenty of Compacts, Climbers, Huntsmans etc if I want scissors..   Maybe I can find someone who will trade for soldier or something.  :cheers:

Is it the bulk or weight that's putting you off? Or just the saw not being needed enough?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #91 on: September 16, 2017, 09:34:25 PM
I'm helping in a group buy of SAKs and am shipping these out to their owners today. Its my first time to actually hold  alox SAKs and I was keen on checking out the Farmer and Pioneer (no X, unfortunately).

While I like the heft of the Farmer and slimness of the Pioneer, I have been heavily influenced by 50ft-trad to see scissors as essential in a SAK, and so I'm still lusting after a PX.

Thanks Dude!  I appreciate it.  If anything, this challenge is teaching me to appreciate the lighter weight Pioneer and the eternal usefulness of El Compact.  I may end up getting a PX, just have kept away so far b/c I usually stick to stuff made pre 04... and I've got plenty of Compacts, Climbers, Huntsmans etc if I want scissors..   Maybe I can find someone who will trade for soldier or something.  :cheers:

Is it the bulk or weight that's putting you off? Or just the saw not being needed enough?

I think it's the weight, because it's really not THAT thick, can still squeeze it in the watch pocket... but it is a full  20g heavier than a Pioneer... kinda significant for being in the pocket tho... I'm sure the PX is even heavier.

I don't mind having the saw and feel more prepared with it but definitely not a necessity for me.... makes me appreciated the Camper as well... weighs the same as a reg Pioneer and you get those scale and back layer tools   :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #92 on: September 16, 2017, 09:37:16 PM

I think it's the weight, because it's really not THAT thick, can still squeeze it in the watch pocket... but it is a full  20g heavier than a Pioneer... kinda significant for being in the pocket tho... I'm sure the PX is even heavier.

I don't mind having the saw and feel more prepared with it but definitely not a necessity for me.... makes me appreciated the Camper as well... weighs the same as a reg Pioneer and you get those scale and back layer tools   :cheers:

:salute:

:cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #93 on: September 17, 2017, 04:55:47 AM

My Pioneer X (no key chain attachment) weighs 92 grams. My Farmer (w/ key chain attachment, no lanyard) weighs 85 grams. According to my kitchen scale. In the hand, the PX might feel a wee bit heavier. The PX is slightly, very slightly thicker than the Farmer. For all practical purposes, they're identical.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #94 on: September 17, 2017, 07:29:36 AM

My Pioneer X (no key chain attachment) weighs 92 grams. My Farmer (w/ key chain attachment, no lanyard) weighs 85 grams. According to my kitchen scale. In the hand, the PX might feel a wee bit heavier. The PX is slightly, very slightly thicker than the Farmer. For all practical purposes, they're identical.

thank you for the empircal observations  :cheers:

My silver Farmer is weighing 85.6g and the green one is weighing 86.1g  :think:  The silver one has the older stamp and the green one has the newer stamp, thought it would have been vice versa.

Yeah, after weighing some Pioneers, Soldiers, SI's... they're awl between 68.5 - 73.0  (With most being close to 70, only V'71 Soldier 73g, V'81 Soldier 72g, V'91 Soldier 70.2,  V'01 Soldier, V Soldier 08 69.5   pre '86 Pioneer 70.2, new Pioneer 69.8 )  :salute:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 07:32:06 AM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #95 on: September 17, 2017, 04:44:03 PM
Great going with the challenge so far El C :salute: The fails are also part of the challenge's :tu: It is great to hear what all you have used it for and not been able to use it for :salute: Great pics as well :like: :like:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #96 on: September 17, 2017, 04:55:25 PM
Great going with the challenge so far El C :salute: The fails are also part of the challenge's :tu: It is great to hear what all you have used it for and not been able to use it for :salute: Great pics as well :like: :like:

Thanks, Ponch!  :hatsoff: :cheers:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #97 on: September 17, 2017, 04:55:54 PM
Decided to sheath El Farmer today...
WP_20170917_07_48_19_Pro (2).jpg
* WP_20170917_07_48_19_Pro (2).jpg (Filesize: 285.51 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #98 on: September 17, 2017, 05:59:00 PM
Solid move. Keep on, keepin' on, Buddy!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #99 on: September 18, 2017, 12:58:02 PM
:popcorn:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #100 on: September 18, 2017, 06:16:04 PM
Chill day so far... at work watching Hot Fuzz...  my job can be really easy sometimes...  Farmer is there mostly for moral support today.
WP_20170918_08_14_53_Pro (2).jpg
* WP_20170918_08_14_53_Pro (2).jpg (Filesize: 241.74 KB)

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #101 on: September 18, 2017, 10:06:12 PM
Farmer on lunch duty.  :salute:
WP_20170918_12_58_09_Pro (3).jpg
* WP_20170918_12_58_09_Pro (3).jpg (Filesize: 296.12 KB)
WP_20170918_13_00_37_Pro (3).jpg
* WP_20170918_13_00_37_Pro (3).jpg (Filesize: 260.48 KB)

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #102 on: September 18, 2017, 11:20:28 PM
Chill day so far... at work watching Hot Fuzz...  my job can be really easy sometimes...  Farmer is there mostly for moral support today.

Cracking film that. Must watch it again. Probably won't get the chance at work though  :facepalm:

Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline KandiKlover

• Classic SD - SwissChamp
Reply #103 on: September 19, 2017, 06:33:55 AM

No better pick me up than a nice SAK to fiddle with.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #104 on: September 19, 2017, 05:11:44 PM

No better pick me up than a nice SAK to fiddle with.

True story.  :cheers:

Cracking film that. Must watch it again. Probably won't get the chance at work though  :facepalm:

Was my first time watching, really enjoyed it.  :cheers:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #105 on: September 19, 2017, 05:13:39 PM
First few sub 100 F days in Phoenix... I'll be able to enjoy outside again!!!!  :ahhh
WP_20170623_07_37_16_Pro (2).jpg
* WP_20170623_07_37_16_Pro (2).jpg (Filesize: 219.5 KB)

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #106 on: September 20, 2017, 05:41:58 PM
SSDD  :salute:
WP_20170920_07_32_29_Pro (2).jpg
* WP_20170920_07_32_29_Pro (2).jpg (Filesize: 311.04 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #107 on: September 20, 2017, 07:26:35 PM
But it's a gem!  :D

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #108 on: September 20, 2017, 08:16:48 PM
But it's a gem!  :D

It is, still new to me, really.  :cheers:  Need to make a walking stick with it

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #109 on: September 21, 2017, 05:12:55 PM
The Farmer brought along some friends today....
WP_20170921_08_05_35_Pro (2).jpg
* WP_20170921_08_05_35_Pro (2).jpg (Filesize: 428.34 KB)

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #110 on: September 21, 2017, 05:14:21 PM
The Farmer brought along some friends today....

Nice group of friends!  :like:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #111 on: September 21, 2017, 06:10:44 PM
Mmmmhmmm.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #112 on: September 21, 2017, 06:47:08 PM
 :hatsoff: :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #113 on: September 22, 2017, 03:23:10 AM
Some fine pics El C :dd: :like: I have not been in the Swiss forum enough lately :facepalm: Will try and keep up better with it :salute:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #114 on: September 22, 2017, 05:14:20 PM
Rootbeer Farmer keeping you company today. Hope you're sticking with this challenge, El Sí.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #115 on: September 22, 2017, 05:39:54 PM
El Farmer hanging out with El Compact today...

Farmer demonstrating the usefulness of the can opener as an orange peeler. 
WP_20170922_08_00_48_Pro (3).jpg
* WP_20170922_08_00_48_Pro (3).jpg (Filesize: 462.27 KB)
WP_20170922_08_26_57_Pro (2).jpg
* WP_20170922_08_26_57_Pro (2).jpg (Filesize: 228.08 KB)

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #116 on: September 22, 2017, 05:42:53 PM
and don't forget the raisin bran muffin
WP_20170922_08_40_53_Pro (2).jpg
* WP_20170922_08_40_53_Pro (2).jpg (Filesize: 313.59 KB)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #117 on: September 23, 2017, 11:28:26 AM
El Farmer hanging out with El Compact today...

Farmer demonstrating the usefulness of the can opener as an orange peeler.
:like: did this task too.
I wonder how to stop some of the juices squirting around while cutting?  :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #118 on: September 23, 2017, 09:43:24 PM
Heading up to Rim Country for a hike today
fg.jpg
* fg.jpg (Filesize: 211.19 KB)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #119 on: September 23, 2017, 10:37:44 PM
Pics?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30