Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAKs in movies

it Offline shadowrider

SAKs in movies
on: September 12, 2017, 09:20:10 AM
Hey folks,
since I evidently have too much time on my hands, I decided to start a thread where we can list movies where SAKs appeared or, even better, were used.
Ok, so I'll start. At the moment, the ones I can think of are:

1- HARD BOILED by John Woo, 1992. One of the main characters uses the screwdriver of a SwissChamp to open the control panel of a sealed door. When he fails to make it open the door, he slams the SwissChamp in a corner of the room in anger. So be advised that this film contains scenes of cruelty towards SAKs . Viewer discretion is advised.  :whistle:

2- HOME ALONE 2: LOST IN NEW YORK, 1992. Macaulay Caulkin uses the magnifier glass of a Wenger knife to inspect a map of NYC.

3- FIREFOX by Clint Eastwood, 1982. Soviet Soldiers are inspecting passengers in a Russian airport (or was it a train station?) when they find a SAK on one of them (I think it was a vintage one!), comment on the knife and let him pass.

4- JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, 2008. The kid in the movie drops his Victorinox knife in some kind of anti-gravitational field.

5- 127 HOURS, by Peter Boyle, 2010. Based on a true story, James Franco forgets his Victorinox SAK at home and ends up having to use his leatherman Chinese knock-off to
Show content
cut off his arm

6- TRUE ROMANCE, by Tony Scott, 1993. Here the girl uses a SAK to stab the bad guy's foot with the corkscew. You can see the 91mm Victorinox SAK laying on the ground in the afterward scene, but I read that a 111 Vic was actually used in the stabbing close up scene.

The following four I haven't seen, so I can't comment further on them, but know they feature Victorinox SAKs:

7- FANTASTIC FOUR, 2015

8- GHOSTBUSTERS, 2016

9- EVERYTHING MUST GO, 2010

10- MISTRESS AMERICA, 2015

Your turn, guys!
By the way, all movies from 1 to 6 are very good, so you should check them out if you haven't yet!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:21:29 AM by shadowrider »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: SAKs in movies
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 09:54:30 AM
We have a whole sub forum for this, the only thing is that it's not in one thread, but thats what search is for.  :cheers:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/board,20.0.html
A compilation thread would be nice there though.  :think: :tu:

Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 11:54:44 AM
Don't forget the Agent 86 movie, the SAK has like, a grappling hook and flamethrower. Maybe a modified SwissFlame?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 11:58:08 AM
I wonder if THAT one was made by any of our in-house modders?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 02:30:46 AM
We have a whole sub forum for this, the only thing is that it's not in one thread, but thats what search is for.  :cheers:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/board,20.0.html
A compilation thread would be nice there though.  :think: :tu:

Oh, interesting, I hadn't seen that!  :cheers:
Just checked out the first couple pages and already saw some SAKs in movies that I did watch but either forgot about or didn't notice them  :facepalm:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 10:38:22 PM
In the movie Behind Enemy Lines, Owen Wilson uses a SAK to unscrew the film pack from the jet wreckage before being rescued.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 10:41:51 PM
In the movie Behind Enemy Lines, Owen Wilson uses a SAK to unscrew the film pack from the jet wreckage before being rescued.

any idea what model?
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 10:49:19 PM

any idea what model?

Seems like one of the thicker models like a four layer or maybe more. You never get a really good look, only the distinctive can opener/small driver are clearly seen.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:50:28 PM by cbl51 »

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 08:02:52 AM

any idea what model?

Seems like one of the thicker models like a four layer or maybe more. You never get a really good look, only the distinctive can opener/small driver are clearly seen.
There you go, cbl, we have a new entry:

11- BEHIND ENEMY LINES, 2001. A Vic SAK is used to unscrew the film pack from the jet wreckage before being rescued.

Plus, browsing through the first 10 pages of the Multi-Media subforum gave the following:

12- THE HITMAN'S BODYGUARD, 2017. A Wenger SAK is used to hot wire a car and to kill a bad guy.

13- TURISTAS, 2008. A Vic Climber is found in a drawer, then used to cut zip ties bouding prisoners's wrists.

14- WOLF CREEK, 2005. A Vic SAK is used to hopelessly threaten a crazy Australian redneck serial killer.

15- ARMAGEDDON, 1998. Victorinox SAK spotted in the film.

16- STANDOFF (2015). A 111mm Vic SAK is used to cauterize a wound and then to attack someone.

17- LETHAL WEAPON 3 (1992). Gibson uses the scissors on a Wenger SAKs to help defuse a bomb.

18- THE MARTIAN (2015). A Vic Orange Hunter Pro is used to open packets on Mars.

19- CAST AWAY (2000) A 91mm SAK is seen attached to some keys, but is never used.

20- AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON (1981). The character is thinking of slicing his wrists with a SAK.

21- ANACONDA (1997). The blade of what looks like a SAK is used to tighten a screw on a pair of eyeglasses.

21- TOUCHING THE VOID (2003). Here a Victorinox SAK is used twice, while mountaineering in the Andes.

Also, found out that the SAK used in the Fantastic Four movie listed at n.7 is a Climber.

us Offline KandiKlover

• Classic SD - SwissChamp
Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 08:14:00 AM
I love Home Alone 2 both the movie's story itself and especially the Cinematography most of all. 35mm Panavision film rolls, the wide scenic shots of New York and the color rendition of the wintery tree leaves is just superb. I love Christmas so much. It already feels Christmasy for me what with the new SwissChamp and fun I been having :D (I was also gonna call behimd enemy lines but someone already did)

us Offline KandiKlover

Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 08:18:23 AM
Don't forget the Agent 86 movie, the SAK has like, a grappling hook and flamethrower. Maybe a modified SwissFlame?

Oh there we go, that reminds me of one not on the list. It's not a real one but a parody SAK of sorts. In the movie remake: Get Smart .  Steve Carrell uses one with a little harpoon crossbow in it to try and shoot his zipties off and ends up shooting himself up a few times  :rofl: It also has a flamethrower and a blowgun

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:24:43 AM by KandiKlover »

us Offline KandiKlover

Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 08:31:04 AM
1998 Wes Anderson movie: Rushmore .  Character Max Fischer is given a personalized one to commemorate his legacy or some thing.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 08:48:30 AM
1998 Wes Anderson movie: Rushmore .  Character Max Fischer is given a personalized one to commemorate his legacy or some thing.

Yep, SwissChamp?  :think:  :cheers:
tumblr_l8m4bimgjD1qzbykto1_1280.jpg
* tumblr_l8m4bimgjD1qzbykto1_1280.jpg (Filesize: 57.45 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 08:49:21 AM
Guys... Not to blow my own horn here but... "Macgyver - The lost treasure of Atlantis"... I mean... It was a movie...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:51:37 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline KandiKlover

Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 08:52:49 AM

Yep, SwissChamp?  :think:  :cheers:

I believe so yeah :3 it's pretty sweet. :cheers:

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 11:56:07 AM

Oh there we go, that reminds me of one not on the list. It's not a real one but a parody SAK of sorts. In the movie remake: Get Smart .  Steve Carrell uses one with a little harpoon crossbow in it to try and shoot his zipties off and ends up shooting himself up a few times  :rofl: It also has a flamethrower and a blowgun

(Image removed from quote.)
Yes, that's the one, sorry! Back here where I live the movie is just called Agente 86, not Get Smart hahah
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 02:36:47 PM
Did anyone b rings "Ghost Busters"? A SAK is clearly given to one of the ghost busters in the movie.

Also, in The Royal Tenenbaums one of the characters has what looks like a small SAK like a 74mm. Looks like either a exec or ambassador.

Then there's a VERY brief shot of a black classic in The Pianist. They're at the train station while waiting to be shipped to a concentration camp, and the father takes a little knife from his watch chain to slice a little piece of candy so each of the family can have a bit. It looks like a modern black classic which is a stretch for 1940/41.

There's also a SAK classic in The Pink Panther with Steve Martin playing the Inspector. He uses a classic to disarm a bomb.

A classic is again used in one of the earlier seasons of N.C.I.S. where agent Mcgee helps disarm a bomb using the scissor to snip a wire. I can only shudder at the nick in the scissors the wire would have left.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 02:48:11 PM by cbl51 »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 04:41:15 PM
Did anyone b rings "Ghost Busters"? A SAK is clearly given to one of the ghost busters in the movie.

Also, in The Royal Tenenbaums one of the characters has what looks like a small SAK like a 74mm. Looks like either a exec or ambassador.

Then there's a VERY brief shot of a black classic in The Pianist. They're at the train station while waiting to be shipped to a concentration camp, and the father takes a little knife from his watch chain to slice a little piece of candy so each of the family can have a bit. It looks like a modern black classic which is a stretch for 1940/41.

There's also a SAK classic in The Pink Panther with Steve Martin playing the Inspector. He uses a classic to disarm a bomb.

A classic is again used in one of the earlier seasons of N.C.I.S. where agent Mcgee helps disarm a bomb using the scissor to snip a wire. I can only shudder at the nick in the scissors the wire would have left.

Leave it to you to spot Classics in all those films.

:D :D

Don't worry. The Classic's scissors are tough enough to handle a simple wire cut.
 :tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 04:52:26 PM
As mentioned before, Wes Anderson often features a SAK of some kind in his films (Rushmore, Royal Tenembaums). Here's my fave (from the excellent Moonrise Kingdom) - a custom stag handled one: (funny reference to the Shawshank Redemption included).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 04:54:49 PM by magentus »
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 06:04:15 PM
As mentioned before, Wes Anderson often features a SAK of some kind in his films (Rushmore, Royal Tenembaums). Here's my fave (from the excellent Moonrise Kingdom) - a custom stag handled one: (funny reference to the Shawshank Redemption included).

In RT?  Where???  :think:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 08:08:37 PM
Right here M'Lord:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 08:28:37 PM
:rofl:  I didn't realize Bagoda was carrying a SAK!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 08:48:07 PM
:rofl:  I didn't realize Bagoda was carrying a SAK!
And not afraid to use it either! I love it when Royal says ' That's the last time you put a knife in me y'hear?'  :rofl:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 11:31:23 PM
I know we're talking about movies but I just caught Dwight using a  SAK in The Office.  I believe it's 5 layer w/ Ruby scales and backside Phillips.
WP_20170914_14_17_11_Pro (2).jpg
* WP_20170914_14_17_11_Pro (2).jpg (Filesize: 212.05 KB)
WP_20170914_14_19_40_Pro (2).jpg
* WP_20170914_14_19_40_Pro (2).jpg (Filesize: 247.29 KB)
WP_20170914_14_19_50_Pro (2).jpg
* WP_20170914_14_19_50_Pro (2).jpg (Filesize: 211.42 KB)

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #24 on: September 15, 2017, 06:09:30 AM
22 - MAN VS (2015). A Victorinox Rucksack is used to demonstrate survival tactics.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,73070.0.html

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #25 on: September 15, 2017, 09:55:36 AM
I know we're talking about movies but I just caught Dwight using a  SAK in The Office.  I believe it's 5 layer w/ Ruby scales and backside Phillips.
Ah, Dwight - surely he is a closer cousin (mose  :D)  to us than McGyver.

Him and Michael Scott are two of my all time fave comedy characters.  :salute:

us Offline KandiKlover

Reply #26 on: September 16, 2017, 08:42:55 AM
I'm all in the Christmas Spirit right now and very happy from getting the SwissChamp for my bday. It's like an early christmas. I went and got my old DVDs of Home Alone 1 and 2 to watch with SwissChamp. I decided to snap a few pics of the screen showing Kevin's new Wenger. Only $23.50 along with the silly string dragon and a big map, what a deal! Cool that a toy store carried them too. Remember when every kid used to have one?

My heart broke as he dropped it on the pavement and than left it there after not even having it for more than a minute. :rofl:  RIP.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: September 16, 2017, 05:26:00 PM
I'm all in the Christmas Spirit right now and very happy from getting the SwissChamp for my bday. It's like an early christmas. I went and got my old DVDs of Home Alone 1 and 2 to watch with SwissChamp. I decided to snap a few pics of the screen showing Kevin's new Wenger. Only $23.50 along with the silly string dragon and a big map, what a deal! Cool that a toy store carried them too. Remember when every kid used to have one?

My heart broke as he dropped it on the pavement and than left it there after not even having it for more than a minute. :rofl:  RIP.

:like:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #28 on: September 16, 2017, 08:49:38 PM

Oh man, why did he drop it???  I'm going to have to watch now.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #29 on: September 16, 2017, 08:50:18 PM
Guys... Not to blow my own horn here but... "Macgyver - The lost treasure of Atlantis"... I mean... It was a movie...

I think that goes without saying  :D  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%