Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dog owners: what SAK tools do you use?

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
on: June 27, 2021, 09:09:15 AM
Fellow knights,

Some years ago my parents' dogs passed away. My wife and I now decided our home needs a new dog, so we got ourselves a puppy a few weeks back.

It turns out this decision had an effect on my EDC: given that I am the one who goes out with the dog at night, and that this usually happens in a state of great urgency (get him out quick or get it on your carpet), I now carry the Huntsman Lite or Cybertool Lite in my pocket. This way I have a light on me even if I had time for nothing more than slipping into my trousers and jacket before running out of the house with the dog on my arm.(Good luck finding turds in high grass without a light).

This made we wonder: what tools do fhe dog owners among you use on or in connection with your dogs, and how? For example, I have used the Cybertool's magnifier to inspecf a conspicuous button which I thought might be a tick (it wasn't). If it had been, would the tweezers or the pliers have been better for pulling it out? Are there any "life hacks" for SAK usage on dogs (for example, can the fish scaler be used for dog care somehow)?

I would very much appreciate to hear about your experiences and to receive any practical advice or tips you might have.

Cheers,

Simon

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 09:41:30 AM
Good topic Simon :like:

Like you I find a torch the most useful thing, currently loving my new RovyVon A28, definitely my favourite EDC flashlight (covering both sides of the pond favored term!) for quite some time

Tbh Coco mostly has to “model” my MT’s rather than me using them on her, but yes tweezers and magnifying glass most useful, file can be used on claws not that I do

Re ticks, I’ve purpose designed tick tweezers but in an emergency I’d say either SAK tweezers or small pliers would be good. You have to be careful or they vomit inside you/dog so can be better to dab some insect repellent on them instead, that way they fall off.
I’ve got a few scars from pulling them off badly, takes months for it to stop itching

« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 09:51:45 AM by Echotech »

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Re: Dog owners: what SAK tools do you use?
Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 10:56:01 AM
Thanks for your thoughts, Echotech! I find the (new gen LED) light of the aforementioned SAKs even better than a small torch given that I have one less thing to carry around in my pocket, as well as on account of the light just being enough to find what I am looking for without blinding me or the dog if handled carelessly.

Hopefully I will be able to produce pics like you one day. At this point in time, you can imagine in what state I would get my SAK back if I left it with Mr. Nibbler...  :ahhh

au Offline Echotech

Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 11:03:41 AM
I’m glad to hear that the new gen lights are good Simon, got a huntsman lite in my Amazon cart, (along with quite a few others :facepalm: ) only a question of time :popcorn:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 11:07:31 AM
I’m glad to hear that the new gen lights are good Simon, got a huntsman lite in my Amazon cart, (along with quite a few others :facepalm: ) only a question of time :popcorn:

Well, what are you waiting for? Get out your wallet and pull the trigger.  :pok: You won't regret it, it really is a nice knife, not too bulky and quite useful with the added Lite/Philips layer.

au Offline Echotech

Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 11:09:00 AM
I’ve been splurging on 111’s and army knives! It’ll happen for sure

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 06:13:58 PM
Tweezers!

Living in the Texas Hill country and having a dog, this means pulling burrs or cactus thorns our of our dogs paws on a regular basis. The little SAK tweezers are good, as is the small narrow pliers of the Leatherman squirt.

At night, the Fenix E01 is my best friend. I like a dedicated light, and for the past 15 years the beat up looking E01 that has been on my carabiner keyring has  been great. Enough light to see where I'm putting my feet at night, enough to see the poop to be picked up and bagged, and enough to watch for a snake where our dog is sniffing. And the silly long run time is nice.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 27, 2021, 11:49:44 PM
Tweezers!

Living in the Texas Hill country and having a dog, this means pulling burrs or cactus thorns our of our dogs paws on a regular basis. The little SAK tweezers are good, as is the small narrow pliers of the Leatherman squirt.

At night, the Fenix E01 is my best friend. I like a dedicated light, and for the past 15 years the beat up looking E01 that has been on my carabiner keyring has  been great. Enough light to see where I'm putting my feet at night, enough to see the poop to be picked up and bagged, and enough to watch for a snake where our dog is sniffing. And the silly long run time is nice.

Thanks for this insight.  :cheers: I reckon the tweezers are enough for standard dog care then; no need for the CT Lite's pliers. If only the Huntsman Lite came with a magnifying glass...

Luckily there are no snakes where I live, so the Lite module is good enough for me  :)

Offline StPaddy

• New User
Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 01:25:27 AM
I’ve used pliers to pull thorns, cactus and cockleburrs while out hunting my dogs.  I have used the pliers to help a fishhook poke through and push down the barbs to get it to work through foward.  I have used the blade to scrape brown placque off teeth.  I have used the scissors to trim the tags off dog beds. 

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 04:01:32 AM
I’ve used pliers to pull thorns, cactus and cockleburrs while out hunting my dogs.  I have used the pliers to help a fishhook poke through and push down the barbs to get it to work through foward.  I have used the blade to scrape brown placque off teeth.  I have used the scissors to trim the tags off dog beds.

Well, pliers can come in handy, there is no question of that. The big question is - strictly from a dog care point of view - do you need them or are they just nice to have? So far I am inclined to assume the tweezers might be enough when it comes to getting nasty stuff out of your dog ;)

us Offline Sos24

Reply #10 on: June 28, 2021, 05:04:57 AM
The tools I use most for things specifically for pr related to my dog are flashlight/headlamp, knife, scissors, saw, mini locking pliers (which he has his own pair), and tick tweezers.

- As mentioned a flashlight is important for going out with the dog, but I also find it handy for inspecting my dog for ticks or irritants in his ears or between paw pads.  A headlamp is especially useful of I’m trying to do it by myself and find something, because it gives me an extra hand.  I will confess, I am as much a flashlight aficionado as MT/SAK, so I have plenty around to choose from.

- The knife is used for cutting treats from packaging and cutting larger treats into smaller training sizes or for his home alone jumpin jack.

- Scissors are great for opening food, treat, toy packages; but also for the occasional item that is stuck in his fur and can’t be easily removed.

- I have a specially designed tick tweezer that I keep around for ticks. Mit works better for me than the SAK tweezers.

- The locking pliers probably do not sound like your normal dog tools, but it is one of the most frequently used tools.  A small pair of locking pliers works great for clipping on a shorter bully, twist, or beef strap to make sure that he does not try to put a large piece in hos mouth or swallow it whole.  He loves the locking pliers because it also gives him something to hold onto better. 

- The saw, like the locking pliers isn’t usually considered a pet tool, but is used.  It is used for cutting hard chew treats in half or trimming off partially chewed ends that are sharp or “refresh” the smell.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 04:11:35 PM
Well, pliers can come in handy, there is no question of that. The big question is - strictly from a dog care point of view - do you need them or are they just nice to have? So far I am inclined to assume the tweezers might be enough when it comes to getting nasty stuff out of your dog ;)

Yes, I've found the tweezers enough 99% of what I need to do with my dog. So your assumption is correct if you don't run into that 1%/

The one time I needed more was when our Australian Sheppard, Abby, got a thorn up between the paw pads. I could reach it with the SAK tweezers, but they were so extended that my grip was far enough to the rear that I could not get enough squeeze to grip the thorn. So I used the slim pliers of my Leatherman squirt as forceps to reach up and grip the thorn and pull it out. My wife was holding Abby's paw while I did the removal.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #12 on: June 28, 2021, 06:16:31 PM
Yes, I've found the tweezers enough 99% of what I need to do with my dog. So your assumption is correct if you don't run into that 1%/

The one time I needed more was when our Australian Sheppard, Abby, got a thorn up between the paw pads. I could reach it with the SAK tweezers, but they were so extended that my grip was far enough to the rear that I could not get enough squeeze to grip the thorn. So I used the slim pliers of my Leatherman squirt as forceps to reach up and grip the thorn and pull it out. My wife was holding Abby's paw while I did the removal.
This highlights why I mentioned a headlamp instead of just flashlight for certain occasions.  Fisher got some little pods caught between his paw pads.  My wive held him, while I used one hand to hold paw spreading pads, and then pull out pods.  A couple were stuck to his fur so bad I needed to cut out using SAK scissors.  The headlamp allowed the light where I needed it to see the pods without tying up one of either of our hands which were all needed to ensure I didn’t cut him. 

I also like the headlamp for night walks because it keeps my hands free hand for holding leash, working gate lock and picking up poop.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 08:14:35 PM
The tools I use most for things specifically for pr related to my dog are flashlight/headlamp, knife, scissors, saw, mini locking pliers (which he has his own pair), and tick tweezers.

- As mentioned a flashlight is important for going out with the dog, but I also find it handy for inspecting my dog for ticks or irritants in his ears or between paw pads.  A headlamp is especially useful of I’m trying to do it by myself and find something, because it gives me an extra hand.  I will confess, I am as much a flashlight aficionado as MT/SAK, so I have plenty around to choose from.

- The knife is used for cutting treats from packaging and cutting larger treats into smaller training sizes or for his home alone jumpin jack.

- Scissors are great for opening food, treat, toy packages; but also for the occasional item that is stuck in his fur and can’t be easily removed.

- I have a specially designed tick tweezer that I keep around for ticks. Mit works better for me than the SAK tweezers.

- The locking pliers probably do not sound like your normal dog tools, but it is one of the most frequently used tools.  A small pair of locking pliers works great for clipping on a shorter bully, twist, or beef strap to make sure that he does not try to put a large piece in hos mouth or swallow it whole.  He loves the locking pliers because it also gives him something to hold onto better. 

- The saw, like the locking pliers isn’t usually considered a pet tool, but is used.  It is used for cutting hard chew treats in half or trimming off partially chewed ends that are sharp or “refresh” the smell.

Thanks for sharing, Sos! That's great to know. Given that our dog is a puppy and its foodstuff is consequently small and soft, a saw isn't needed as yet, but when he grows up the Huntsman Like might shine!

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 08:20:55 PM
This highlights why I mentioned a headlamp instead of just flashlight for certain occasions.  Fisher got some little pods caught between his paw pads.  My wive held him, while I used one hand to hold paw spreading pads, and then pull out pods.  A couple were stuck to his fur so bad I needed to cut out using SAK scissors.  The headlamp allowed the light where I needed it to see the pods without tying up one of either of our hands which were all needed to ensure I didn’t cut him. 

I also like the headlamp for night walks because it keeps my hands free hand for holding leash, working gate lock and picking up poop.

It's obviously best when you have both hands free, and I even have a headlamp for my running, but as I said, I just like it to have a one size fits all solution which is always at hand. It just feels so cool to have everything you need integrated into your SAK.  8)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 09:51:47 PM by Simon_Templar »

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 29, 2021, 11:22:06 AM
I think you are all missing "THE" dog owner knife.
SWIZA CO05TT, the Family Pet Swiss Knife

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 29, 2021, 06:55:47 PM
I think you are all missing "THE" dog owner knife.
SWIZA CO05TT, the Family Pet Swiss Knife

It's nice, but it ain't a Vic. And it doesn't have scissors😱

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 29, 2021, 08:31:43 PM
Does anyone else’s dog do this?  :rant:
My dog Bella is always stealing my trusty 1980s Explorer to get the peskiest of chores done around the house.
Here she is after fixing the lawn mower with it!  :facepalm:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 29, 2021, 10:16:08 PM
Does anyone else’s dog do this?  :rant:
My dog Bella is always stealing my trusty 1980s Explorer to get the peskiest of chores done around the house.
Here she is after fixing the lawn mower with it!  :facepalm:

You should be proud; old dogs usually don't learn new tricks :rofl:

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 30, 2021, 07:39:07 PM
You should be proud; old dogs usually don't learn new tricks :rofl:
I’m so doggone proud!  :D

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #20 on: July 03, 2021, 01:22:13 PM
Other than opening dog food bags, I've never used an SAK for anything dog related.  If they added a Furminator to a 130mm, that would be useful. 

Our main EDU (every day use) items are:
-Furminator brush
-Streamlight USB rechargeable light (need to see who else is in the yard at night)
-Grippy biothane leash

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #21 on: July 03, 2021, 05:17:04 PM
How about us cat owners (actually the car owns you), What do I use my SAK for on Him? -- absolutely nothing - Short threat  ;)
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62