Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wanted: a few brave souls.

Nix · 112 · 3918

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
on: September 13, 2017, 06:15:13 PM
I have this crazy idea to attempt the Minimalist Challenge using only the Executive. Yes, the SAK I ridiculed and now own. Let's call it a penance. I'm thinking of it as the General Yeager Challenge.

I'd like the moral support of a few brave souls. Swiss Army Knights brave enough to attempt the challenge with me. We'll start a thread and do the 30-days together, all carrying/using exclusively an Executive and no other knives.

If you've already done the Minimalist challenge, you'd be doing it for the honor, the glory, and the fame. If you haven't done the Minimalist challenge, you'd be doing it for the honor, the glory, and the fame and a badge.  :D

If you don't already have an Executive, we can set the start date a week or so out in the future to allow time to acquire one. If you already have an Executive...well, I know you've considered this idea already.

In the next month or so I have a bunch of stuff planned, including a road trip to Texas and back. It seems like a good time to do this and check out General Yeager's favorite knife. Anybody else willing to give this a shot with me?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Wanted: a few brave souls.
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 06:19:31 PM
I could try that. Most of my knife use is for food prep. Also, having two blades makes it capable of other tasks.
 :think: :think:

My only worry is that if I go through with it and get used to only carry the Executive, I'll end up leaving all my other babies at home forever.
 :facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 06:19:47 PM
I'd do it, but I'd probably forget to take photos xD

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 06:36:21 PM
But we'd remind you!

:SAKnight:

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 07:37:17 PM
Seriously though the hardest part of any 30 day challenge for me would be actually taking and posting photos every day for 30 days.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 07:44:00 PM
Seriously though the hardest part of any 30 day challenge for me would be actually taking and posting photos every day for 30 days.

+1

I'd probably do it, but the pics wouldn't be very different from day to day...

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

nl Online Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 07:53:35 PM
I love the Executive, I really do. I have a red one, a black one, and a Director (that's an Executive with stainless steel scales). A long time ago, when I was an office worker still, the Executive was my EDC knife, with the company of a SwissChamp. But never would I carry an Executive only. Even though I could do the challenge, because the tools I use most are dedicated pruning shears and folding saw, I like to carry about a dozen SAKs (even if some redundancy is introduced). The minimalist concept just isn't for me.

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 07:58:44 PM
I did this very thing a couple years ago on a trip to California. I was concerned about recent knife law changes, and survived almost two weeks and 3,000 road trip miles.

Would I do it again? Could be...B-)

Mine is old enough to have a screw in the scissors, and no guide slot for the spring. The spring flips out from under the handle and drives me crazy. If I can put up with that, then I'm in. It would make room for a larger flashlight on my dangler too. Hmm... I wonder what new light I can get.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 08:17:04 PM by Mizedog »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 08:13:11 PM
The minimalist concept just isn't for me.

That's why it's a challenge!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 08:14:28 PM

It's a commitment, for sure. But it can be done.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 08:33:19 PM
I will be gone for a week in the next few so can't join.  I am also in the midst if my 15 day Surge Challenge :D Will love to watch this from the sidelines though :like: :like:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 08:40:24 PM
I love these minimalist challenges and I support you in your endeavor, even though I really don't like the exec own one.

For twenty years I've been using a classic, replacing them about ev era 8 years as I wear them out. I do realize the value and validation of the General Yeager aspect. Most times you need a knife, a small blade like a exec, classic, box cutter, or exact knife will do.

Over the course of all these years, my experience in life and with what is NOT really needed has resulted in my selling off/giving away of most of my knife collection. Going about my life in American suburbia, I've found that I rarely need more blade than a 58/74mm SAK. Even my appreciation over the years of my old army issue P-38 can open and Sears 4-way keychain screw driver has caused me to forsake most SAK's as those two tools do away with one whole layer of a recruit or tinker.

But I will give you all the moral support a Knight Of the Swiss Army deserves for going minimalist.  :tu: :tu: :tu:

Maybe I'll go find an exec someplace and join you. But I love the 58mm's soooo much!
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 09:02:22 PM
Maybe I'll go find an exec someplace and join you.

Yes! Hey, I love my Classics and usually carry one daily. But this type of challenge is designed to expand our horizons and deepen our SAK knowledge. Get an Executive and join us!

:SAKnight:

What do you guys think about a start date of 01 Oct 2017 for this challenge? Nice opening number and it gives some people time to get an Executive. That work for everybody? Might even give Poncho a chance to join in.  ;)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 09:07:32 PM
 :like: Go get em guys!  I'm Executive-less  :(
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 09:22:37 PM
:like: Go get em guys!  I'm Executive-less  :(

That can be fixed......

This challenge was made for you, Barry. Join us!  :SAKnight:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 09:55:02 PM
I have attempted these challenges before, and bailed out. The only one I ever completed was the "anything goes" one that we just did for the Anniversary. Long ago I decided the challenge months were not for me, but I do enjoy watching everyone else struggle  >:D Besides which, I am planning on dismantling my Exec and rebuilding it in a different configuration. You guys will have my support, and I will be interested to see how you get on, but I will be an interested observer only  :cheers:

Good luck to all who participate  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 10:47:17 PM
Good luck, awl of y'awl!

If they made an Executive signature I would consider...   I'll just stick with my pseudo-challenge  :salute: :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 10:52:21 PM
I'll just stick with my pseudo-challenge.

Brother, I feel your challenge and respect your trials. I'll be in awe (awl?) if you see it through. Appreciate the support here though!  Stay strong. :salute:  :cheers:

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 02:11:14 AM
Might be fun, I don't carry my exec much these days :D I have to finish the spirit challenge, and then I might join you guys :cheers:
Send In the spartans

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 02:25:00 AM
Looking for volunteers.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 02:25:52 AM
Might be fun, I don't carry my exec much these days :D I have to finish the spirit challenge, and then I might join you guys :cheers:

Oh, the timing may be a little bit off for you, :(, but definitely join in if you can.  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 02:27:54 AM
Looking for volunteers.

Yes, , not a patrol I want to do on my own.

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 02:34:54 AM

...Maybe I'll go find an exec someplace and join you. But I love the 58mm's soooo much!

Here's your chance.  $22.71 and free shipping if your order is over $25:

https://www.amazon.com/Swiss-53401-3-Inch-Executive-Knife/dp/B00004YVBB/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1505349133&sr=8-2&keywords=Victorinox+executive

:tu:

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 03:18:55 AM
Looking for volunteers.

I own a black executive, not a huge fan personally. I would consider trading mine with someone for something else.  I'll probably join you guys but not sure if I'm dedicated to posting daily pictures. I do like the scissors on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline cody6268

Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 03:35:33 AM
I've got a Biomet branded (inlaid metal) one I think I could carry for a month straight. The blades are big enough to where it doesn't need another folder with it. I really didn't even like the Executive until this one came with a bunch of others. My only complaint is that the SD tip of the orange peeler really can't withstand much.

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #25 on: September 14, 2017, 03:49:44 AM
I'll do the Executive challenge, if I can carry my Swiss Champ too.  :climber:

Just kidding- I could get by with the Executive, and probably pretty easily for 95% of regular ol' every day tasks. My issue is that I really like carrying the Swiss Champ because of the extra tools. Yes- I understand the point of the minimalist exercise, but having so many tools in one package just makes for a lot of fun and enjoyment.

Question- during these minimalist challenges, does one get to keep carrying their other knives, like their Spydercos, etc..? Or is this literally you only get to carry whichever SAK? I'm sure I know the answer but as someone who loves my knives and tools, I just don't think I could do it! Which is funny because I'm a proponent of minimalism in general, which is one reason I carry a SAK in the first place. And a Spyderco. And a Mora. And a SA/DA semi auto. And a J-frame revolver.

Oh heck. Who am I kidding...  :cheers:
Use your tools and enjoy the Zen of maintaining and sharpening them.

Consider donating a couple bucks to this site. There is no better knife or multitool site anywhere on planet internet.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 04:05:20 AM
If I can do it, you CAN do it.  :tu:

Carry the Executive. Carry a Spydie. Carry a J-frame. BUT, only use the Executive. Obviously, in an emergency, use whatever tool needs to be used to save life, limb, sight, or anything else critical. BUT, if you use something other than the Executive, report & explain. There's no way you are going to use an Executive to change a flat tire. If you decide to field dress a Wildebeest, culled with a spear, using a big ol' fixed blade, you'll need to explain why the Executive wasn't up to the job. (Or was it?) That way, we'll all learn a bit.

I hear your reservations--right at the moment I'm sporting 3 knives myself--but the point is to stretch both your and the Executive's abilities limits. Join us and let's see what this little SAK can do!

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 04:08:23 AM
I suppose the first step would be me purchasing an Executive.

Hello, Amazon? I've got four hours to decide to order and receive by Friday. $23 bucks.

This is me being semi-lazy (I did make a cursory effort): what mm is the Executive?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 04:15:48 AM by fivesense »
Use your tools and enjoy the Zen of maintaining and sharpening them.

Consider donating a couple bucks to this site. There is no better knife or multitool site anywhere on planet internet.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 04:18:09 AM
There ya go!

(I'm contemplating ordering a back-up Executive in case I push, my current model too hard. Not that I would, no. )

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: September 14, 2017, 04:19:03 AM
Maybe I'll go find an exec someplace and join you.

What do you guys think about a start date of 01 Oct 2017 for this challenge? Nice opening number and it gives some people time to get an Executive. That work for everybody? Might even give Poncho a chance to join in.  ;)

Be gone for well over a week :D September 29th-October 7th :whistle: Still will definitely love to catch up on this and support you guys and who knows I might jump in when I get back :think: :shrug: :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%