Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Schrade Tough Tool ST1.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Schrade Tough Tool ST1.
on: September 18, 2017, 01:35:19 AM
The reason why I am posting these photos...I bought a pair of Taylor Branded Tough Tool ST1s in Sudbury when I went and visited Ramako's Outdoor Sports shop. One of them was on sale, but neither of them broke the 30 dollar price point. Wish I could say the same for Leatherman. The cheapest Leatherman they had in stock went for 64 dollars, and that was the Leap!

Anyhow, when I brought them back home, I of course immediately compare them to my other like tools, and found a few differences. I won't get into all the details, so you will have to take a real close look at the photos, but there were a few that stood out. For example, the newer stainless ST1 has Torx screws instead of the older riveted version, which I got when Taylor brands first started to make them...similar to the original made in the  USA Schrade originals. I also noted a few differences albeit minor cosmetic ones with the black painted copies. One thing that stood out to me, the most recent bought Taylor brands TS1s have terrible sharpness on the blades...something I really couldn't say on the older Taylor branded copies. Yeah, I am going to let the pictures do most of the talking...

The sheaths are just as terrible,  but I do dig the plastic belt clip. If you do not like the plastic belt clip, you can still run a belt under it through the still present belt loop. The sheaths themselves are a bit tight for the tool, meaning the Velcro on the flaps just barely has enough space to stick together.

Older to newer ST1.

For those that didn't know, there is a difference between the painted and stainless tools. The black painted ones feature a pair of scissors instead of the ruler seen on the stainless versions.

Bottom is a USA Schrade. The other two are Taylor Schrades.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Re: Schrade Tough Tool ST1.
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 01:57:26 AM
It's so sad to see. I've had a couple USA Tough tools and one Taylor version. The difference in hand is outstanding. The USA original was actually built like a tank, Taylor has turned it into a toy. It's one of the parts of collecting that's bitter sweet. You hold a part of history while at the same time knowing somethings will never have a chance to be rebuilt. Great pics Chako
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 01:59:58 AM
I agree. I do seem to recall that Taylor Brands LLC was bought out by someone. Are they still making Schrade stuff these days?
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 02:28:44 AM
Chako,
Yes they are, and a lot of it. Walmart is inundated with Taylor produced knives they call "Schrade". Same with Camillus, but I don't know if Taylor makes those. But, the Chinese Camillus is junky as well. I have the "Titanium Series " MT and it is huge, but aside from a good set of pliars, the tools are tiny and poorly shaped.

I have several Taylor ST1s and two USA Tough Tools(one of which is going to a fellow MT.O user soon). The old ones are not very good compared to new MTs by USA and Swiss companies, but were fantastic when they came out. I have EDCed a USA tough tool before and it was adequate,  since I carry a dedicated plain blade anyway.
The Taylor WimpTool would have been ok, except the handle splay is huge, while the USA toughtool is close and allows for a lot of purchase on what you are using it on. At some point I am going to modify a Taylor wimptool to have a closer splay and EDC it for a while and see what I think.
Also, if you get a Taylor wimptool, be sure to remove the screws and loctite them really well, because they snap off when they get loose and have torque applied.
I bought my three taylors st1s on clearance at a hardware store for about $10 or so apieve if I remember correctly. They DO BEAT OUT the normal $20 chinese tools in strength though. They did bother to use a decent steel for the entire tool. The scissors on the black paint version suck. I have the black one with green writing, which is the newest model I believe. The original OG toughtool has a great set of pliars, good screw drivers, a fantastic wood saw, a decent file, and ok can opener. The USA laminated pliars and the cutters on them are pretty much bullet proof. I cut about fifty pieces of coat hanger with the originals and the cutters looked like they did when I startes. The rivets can be tightened with a basic screw or bottle jack press. The pliar head can also be tightened that way. Also, the blades suck, and that goes for the original and taylor versions. Thin and poorly ground. Carry a dedicated blade with your ST1. IMHO
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%