Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC using only maglites

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
EDC using only maglites
on: September 18, 2017, 08:29:46 PM
I have three different edc main trios.
My main medium duty EDC trio consists of a LM Wave, a USA Kershaw knife, and a 2xAAA LED 111 Lumen maglite(in a fully closed belt sheath from maglite).
My heavy duty edc trio(when I know I am going out to pick up furniture for the store I work in) is a LM Surge, the same Kerhaw USA knife, and  2xAA LED 272 Lumen maglite(carried in the sheath it came in on the belt).
On my days off, I carry much less in weight and capabilities. A Victorinox Spirit, a Wenger Camo knife, and a 1xAAA LED 47 Lumen maglite(carried in my watch pocket).
Note: these pics are of the main items, but I carry a lot more stuff when I'm at work or working on the house/shop.
I have used maglites for eons. I carried the first incandescent 2xAAA model they made for years. It even has some of the original etching that shows it was a promotional for the 1988 Olympics (i got at a yard sale in the early 2000s). Still kinda works too. :)
Their new LED lights have been an awesome upgrade to my edc gear.
I am not a tactical kind of guy, so I like the smooth aluminium casing and twist on/off. They are a little too bright for me, so it is good that I can twist the head out a bit and the light dims nicely.
I am OCD and own three of each style maglites. Just like I have to own two of the same MT before I use one on my EDC normally. Haha
Maglites are not the best flashlight. Just the best for me. I own about one hundres lights, and I keep going back to the good ole' American made maglites.:)
Anymore maglite fans out there?
20170918_130809-1.jpeg
* 20170918_130809-1.jpeg (Filesize: 110.21 KB)
20170918_130629-1.jpeg
* 20170918_130629-1.jpeg (Filesize: 141.48 KB)
20170918_131123-1.jpeg
* 20170918_131123-1.jpeg (Filesize: 123.79 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: EDC using only maglites
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 08:35:23 PM
My most used/needed light mode setting is firefly/moonlight, so a AAA Mag wouldn't work for me.  :-\
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 10:21:38 PM
My most used/needed light mode setting is firefly/moonlight, so a AAA Mag wouldn't work for me.  :-\
I am not even sure if I have seen a flashlight with those settings. Is a firefly setting kind of like a slow low-beam fade?
Most of mine have one, two, or three intensity settings. Some have strobe and a few have a laser pointer built in. But, all I need for work 99.9% of the time is an adjustable beam. When I go camping I take a medium duty 500 Lumen Streamlight with several settings, including a strobe function. It has a few lenses to adjust the color output as well. Sometimes I use a military type MX-991 flashlight with an LED conversion out in the woods walking around at night(low power and keeps my night vision fairly acute). It is the most waterproof flashlight I have.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 10:27:58 PM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 10:24:20 PM
I currently own 9 Maglites. I keep a Mini Maglite in my backpack, several larger models around the house, and usually have a Solitaire in my pocket or belt sheath.
I no longer own a car, but I'd keep one in there if I did.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 10:25:24 PM
Awarded.   :tu:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 10:28:05 PM
I am not even sure if I have seen a flashlight with those settings. Is a firefly setting kind of like a slow low-beam fade?
Most of mine have one, two, or three intensity settings. Some have strobe and a few have a laser pointer built in. But, all I need for work 99.9% of the time is an adjustable beam. When I go camping I take a medium duty 500 Lumen Streamlight with several settings, including a strobe function. It has a few lenses to adjust the color output as well. Sometimes I use a military type Fuller flashlight with an LED conversion out in the woods walking around at night(low power and keeps my night vision fairly acute). It is the most waterproof flashlight I have.

Nope, firefly(or moonlight, you'll find distinctions between the terms on dedicated flashlight forums, but this is not a dedicated flashlight forum) is the name for very dim modes, in the Ti3's case, 0.05 Lumens, very useful for doing stuff in the middle of the night without disturbing other people while preserving your night vision.  :tu:
It's my favorite mode.

All hail the hook!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 10:29:15 PM
I currently own 9 Maglites. I keep a Mini Maglite in my backpack, several larger models around the house, and usually have a Solitaire in my pocket or belt sheath.
I no longer own a car, but I'd keep one in there if I did.
You can't have enough flashlights. Especially Maglites! :cheers:
Awarded.   :tu:
Thank you, sir!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 10:31:31 PM
I have a few maglites, love the reliability.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 10:32:57 PM
Most of mine have one, two, or three intensity settings. Some have strobe and a few have a laser pointer built in. But, all I need for work 99.9% of the time is an adjustable beam. When I go camping I take a medium duty 500 Lumen Streamlight with several settings, including a strobe function. It has a few lenses to adjust the color output as well. Sometimes I use a military type Fuller flashlight with an LED conversion out in the woods walking around at night(low power and keeps my night vision fairly acute). It is the most waterproof flashlight I have.

Nope, firefly(or moonlight, you'll find distinctions between the terms on dedicated flashlight forums, but this is not a dedicated flashlight forum) is the name for very dim modes, in the Ti3's case, 0.05 Lumens, very useful for doing stuff in the middle of the night without disturbing other people while preserving your night vision.  :tu:
It's my favorite mode.
Thank you, Pablo!
Well, I guess some of my antique flashlights have that mode(or state I should say. haha) then, when the batteries get low.  :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 10:35:14 PM
I have a few maglites, love the reliability.
:tu:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 10:38:27 PM

It's my favorite mode.
Thank you, Pablo!
Well, I guess some of my antique flashlights have that mode(or state I should say. haha) then, when the batteries get low.  :D
And lots of modern cheapo lights are still like that.  ::)

All hail the hook!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 10:53:13 PM
That is true..unfortunately.  :cheers:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 03:14:11 AM
For, me a Solitaire is crammed into the Gerber sheath that tends to catch most of my EDC stuff, and a Mini kept for camping and around the house.   I've used a Mini's butt cap as a hammer and it didn't mess it up.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 03:16:03 AM
For, me a Solitaire is crammed into the Gerber sheath that tends to catch most of my EDC stuff, and a Mini kept for camping and around the house.   I've used a Mini's butt cap as a hammer and it didn't mess it up.
:like:
I love the solitaire and minis. They seem to be pretty rock solid!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 08:12:09 PM
More than 20 years ago I Used to carry a 3 D cell Mag Lite and old Mini MagLite for work, now I keep the 3D in my big old Blazer. Don't know where the mini went. then carried an original Steamlight and though that was so much smaller. Sold that and for the last 15 years I've been carrying a Surefire 60.

Maybe it's time to reassess. I like some of the Fenix and Olight offerings, but I see that Mini MagLights have come a long way as well. I'd like to keep buying made in USA, where quality and features are the same or better, so I may get the 272 lumen mini Mag Lite with multiple modes. Or maybe even the 100 lumen. Not decided yet.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 12, 2017, 08:17:05 PM
Seems like it's the LED technology that has allowed these giant numbers of lumens.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 01:52:32 AM
Thanks for the reply Thundah!
The new offerings are incredibly low cost for the build quality and lumen output. I am not sure how they keep the costs so low being US made, but I love the LED maglites. The 2xAAA(111Lumen) I carry is phenomenal light/value/size IMO. And if the light is too bright, you can just twist the front out some and it gets dimmer. I have been carrying my new one for months now and use it everyday. Still using the same Duracell batteries it came with. The 2xAA(272Lumen) has made it into my tool bag, because it is a bit much with the weight of two MTs, a knife, a boxcutter, pocket level, measuring tape, and pen/marker is a tad bit too much for me personally. Non alkaline batteries can help with weight reduction as well.
I have a stockpile of the harbor freight(free with coupon) non alkaline batteries ready to use when the Duracells run out.  :)

In short, it is worth giving the new led mags a try, because they really do offer a lot for an EDC light. The pro series led multi mode stuff is pretty good now. The early pro mags have a bad rep, but it seems mag has taken care of any issues with multi mode pro series.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 05:13:14 AM
What you want is the Mini Maglite Pro+, most likely. That's my EDC light  :tu:

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 05:24:54 AM
I have the larger D models in the house and cars. One weekend when I was bored I upgraded the Lumens with the Terralux, tactical bezels, and glassbreaker tail caps. Fun.

Coincidentally I decided to upgrade an AA freebie I got from Orkin years ago. Lumens is now 150 and I installed a scratch resistant lens. I’m waiting for the glass breaker bezel and tactical bezel. Again just for fun.

I grew up using Maglites so no other flashlight has felt “right” in my hand. Sadly I don’t edc one but maybe I’ll hive it a shot. You’ve inspired me!!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 05:25:58 AM by OldBoy2016 »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 05:46:54 AM
I have a mod AA, I put a led in to up the lumens, but also put a defensive bezel on. Only problem was I cut the turns down, so it like starts to come apart after a few turns. So I’ve been wanting to get one of these for a while, well I snuck one in the cart, only problem is my other one with the bezel is packed, so after our move and I find it I’ll put it on this one..
JR
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 05:48:26 AM by MadPlumbarian »
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 02:47:09 AM
Ok, so I picked up the 111 lumen 2xAAA, and a red 47 lumen Solitaire.

They are nice. I slid the Solitaire into the side pocket of my Leatherman Surge. The 111 lumen is nice too, although maybe a little thin for its length and I wouldn't mind if the head was also kindled, like on the Solitaire. I will try both of them later during the dog walk.

I tried to compare the brightness and beam to that of my Surefire 60, and then I realized, the batteries in the Surefire are many months old and it is not at its brightest. Will refill the batteries this week and compare again, at the local high school football field to check for distance of beam.

I bought the old triple D cell either in the very late 80's or early 90's. It still works, but the crystal is all scratched up, the bulb never seems to quite focus, and the anodized aluminum is all chipped and scratched up as well. I may do an LED upgrade and purchase a new crystal.

I was going to buy the 272 lumen 2xAA, however, it was $26 at home depot and did not offer multiple brightness settings, which I thought was an option on the 272 lumen...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:52:44 AM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 03:10:37 AM
Ok, so I picked up the 111 lumen 2xAAA, and a red 47 lumen Solitaire.

They are nice. I slid the Solitaire into the side pocket of my Leatherman Surge. The 111 lumen is nice too, although maybe a little thin for its length and I wouldn't mind if the head was also kindled, like on the Solitaire. I will try both of them later during the dog walk.

I tried to compare the brightness and beam to that of my Surefire 60, and then I realized, the batteries in the Surefire are many months old and it is not at its brightest. Will refill the batteries this week and compare again, at the local high school football field to check for distance of beam.

I bought the old triple D cell either in the very late 80's or early 90's. It still works, but the crystal is all scratched up, the bulb never seems to quite focus, and the anodized aluminum is all chipped and scratched up as well. I may do an LED upgrade and purchase a new crystal.

I was going to buy the 272 lumen 2xAA, however, it was $26 at home depot and did not offer multiple brightness settings, which I thought was an option on the 272 lumen...

If you look at my earlier post you will see I recommended the Mini Maglite Pro+. This is a distinct model, the + indicates that it has more power as well as a low mode, as opposed to the non + version which has one setting and a bit less power.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 09:19:16 AM
My old but never used non-LED Solitaire has been living in my left pocket for a week now, and every time I use it I wonder how I got along without light for so long  :facepalm:

Any idea what the difference in battery life is incandescent vs LED?

Mine is not very bright, but it serves the purpose perfectly.  If I can getr acceptable battery life, I see no point in upgrading.....

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 02:30:47 PM
The LED solitaire has about the same battery life, but stays bright throughout the battery drain. The incandescent bulbs tend to get dimmer and dimmer as the battery drains.
But, with that being said and you finding the old solitaire adequate, the old saying goes "If it ain't broke don't fix it".  :cheers:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 10:11:39 PM

If you look at my earlier post you will see I recommended the Mini Maglite Pro+. This is a distinct model, the + indicates that it has more power as well as a low mode, as opposed to the non + version which has one setting and a bit less power.

Ah, yes. That's the difference alright. Thanks WoodsDuck. They had no "pluses" at Home Depot, but it does appear that's what I want. Looks like I'm taking  a trip to Amazon.

By the way, is it just me, or is there no $20-ish dollar, 100 to 200 lumen, with tail switch, multi mode offering from MagLite? Does Fenix and Olight have that market cornered because they can do it at cheaper labor. I saw the XL50, but it was considerably fatter and was $25 or $30. Is that about the size of an Olight I3e or is the olight more the size of the Solitaire?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 11:23:02 PM
I was having a hard time justifying the purchase of another MiniMagLite when I have a perfectly good untouched vintage one. I could mod it to LED, if only I could bring myself to break open this package:

IMG_0471.JPG
* IMG_0471.JPG (Filesize: 125.63 KB)

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: November 14, 2017, 11:30:12 PM
Sixteen years old at best, and MagLite didn't start releasing LED models until eleven years ago.

Normally I would bust this wide open, oil the tool and upgrade the light to LED, but I have another OG Super Tool and have been using my Surefire, so this is just on its own shelf in the cabinet.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 01:45:11 AM
Sixteen years old at best, and MagLite didn't start releasing LED models until eleven years ago.

Normally I would bust this wide open, oil the tool and upgrade the light to LED, but I have another OG Super Tool and have been using my Surefire, so this is just on its own shelf in the cabinet.

Very nice bundle!

I imagine you could find a generous MTo member who would help you to remove the temptation from your life  :D

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 02:34:49 AM
Thank you again, WoodsDuck.

Generous MTo member, you say? Relieve me of such a temptation you say? I've not yet encountered such a person.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 02:48:14 AM
I had a thought to give that bundle to friend who is a custodian/ maintenance and fix it man at a local elementary school. Really good guy. Gave me a giant 2" thick, 5 foot long laminated work bench top from the 70's that is heh-vee! Michigan Maple Block company. He has a LM Wingman that he has beaten to hell but doesn't want to part with it to send it in for repair. So I thought I would gift him this OG ST/ MagLite combo to return the favor. The thing is, he says he uses the scissors a lot, likes th spring loaded plyers head, and doesn't like the OG Super Tool locking system. So it resides on the shelf waiting for the day it can prove itself

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 02:52:27 AM by ThundahBeagle »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD