Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Grappler Tool Kit

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Grappler Tool Kit
on: September 19, 2017, 05:06:06 AM
So, I'm looking over my Grappler, deciding on whether to carry tomorrow, and noticed that the Phillips screwdriver is 2D. And think that the Diesel ToolKit adapter may fit. Well, it most certainly does!   :tu:

My Grappler, that was sort of useful, is now more useful with the addition of the tool kit.
IMG_0939.jpeg
* IMG_0939.jpeg (Filesize: 377.94 KB)
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Grappler Tool Kit
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 06:24:23 AM
Its great when you can make tools that might otherwise sit at home more usable.     
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 03:24:46 PM
Nice one MM :tu: I wanted to like the Grappler more than I actually did, but it hasn't proved all that useful to me so far. The onboard tools just didn't seem useful enough to me. I've now purloined the pry tool from it for completing my Knifeless Wave. Adding the driver adaptor certainly improves the versatility of this tool.  :cheers:

I keep one of those adaptors and bit sets with my modified Diesel, which has a far more useful toolset overall, and therefore more likely to be carried than the Grappler. I'll probably hang on to the Grappler a little longer, as I might find more use for the locking pliers in a few little projects I have planned.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 12:22:12 AM
Nice one MM :tu: I wanted to like the Grappler more than I actually did, but it hasn't proved all that useful to me so far. The onboard tools just didn't seem useful enough to me. I've now purloined the pry tool from it for completing my Knifeless Wave. Adding the driver adaptor certainly improves the versatility of this tool.  :cheers:

I keep one of those adaptors and bit sets with my modified Diesel, which has a far more useful toolset overall, and therefore more likely to be carried than the Grappler. I'll probably hang on to the Grappler a little longer, as I might find more use for the locking pliers in a few little projects I have planned.
The Grappler is handy for holding tools to be modified (grinding/filing and drilling).  :tu:
I have used mine for that a couple of times. It works well.
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
*=mod

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 07:24:36 PM
that's cool.

You said those bits and the adapter are the ones that come with a Diesel?

I thought about buying a Gerber Grappler but never did.   :(

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 12:49:03 AM
that's cool.

You said those bits and the adapter are the ones that come with a Diesel?

I thought about buying a Gerber Grappler but never did.   :(
Yeah, they fit well and expand the tool load out. I carry it every once in a while. The tool kit makes it more versitle.
They turn up on eBay every so often, along with the tool kit. Separately of course.
*=mod

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 04:38:38 PM
I like the Grappler too. I used mine pretty hard doing some work on my house and it never gave me any trouble.

I love the OH opening tools.  The Crunch may be a better set of locking pliers, but the tool access on the Grappler makes it a serious contender IMHO.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 05:21:18 PM
That's great MM!  :tu:

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 06:08:28 PM
I like the Grappler too. I used mine pretty hard doing some work on my house and it never gave me any trouble.

I love the OH opening tools.  The Crunch may be a better set of locking pliers, but the tool access on the Grappler makes it a serious contender IMHO.

Def

Back when the Grappler first came out, I thought about getting one because I really wanted a locking plier MT.  I had my heart set on the Crunch and then I saw how the Grappler worked.  I don't even like the sliding "out the front" style MTs that much because they make it very hard to access any tool but the pliers.  So naturally, the Grappler was REALLY appealing to me because it looked like you could deploy the pliers with a flick and then it had 4 other outside opening tools :DD:  with no small tools that I would have to deal with on the inside.  Perfect.   :D   
Then I saw how bulky it was and how super small and slim the Crunch was and then I saw the 1/4 inch bit driver on the Crunch.  I was torn until I saw a youtube video that dissuaded me from getting the Grappler because it said something about the pliers not always working right.  So I bought the Crunch and have been very happy ever since.   But I always kind of wanted to get a Grappler and try it out for myself. 

It occurs to me that perhaps the person on the youtube video just didn't know what they were doing.  About a year after getting my Crunch I saw a rather frustrating video where a guy is showing why he hates the Crunch by demonstrating that it pops open on him all the time.  I am sure that many Crunch owners like myself watched the video and thought  :facepalm:  "this idiot either has a defective MT or he have no idea how to hold this thing properly because mine never does that!"  SO... after reading these positive comments on this thread, I am suddenly wondering if this other video that had me convinced that I shouldn't get a Grappler was a bunch of hot air. 

Have any Grappler owners had any significant issues with the pliers???    ???

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 06:57:35 PM
If you do not adjust the grip size properly it can be hard to open. Other than that, I really like my Grappler better than the Crunch.

The problem I have with the crunch is if you are not careful everytime you open the jaws, after holding something, the one handle will un-attach itself from the plierhead.

No tool is perfect, but for me the Grappler works better. Mostly because of the tool set and location of same.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:14:23 PM by MusicMen »
*=mod

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 09:11:18 PM

If you check the main site, I did a Grappler review on there. I was a little concerned about one of the pin sizes on the mechanism within the head, so I've backed away from the heavier jobs with it, and possibly haven't used the tool to it's full potential. They have come in handy occasionally though

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 01:12:42 AM

If you check the main site, I did a Grappler review on there. I was a little concerned about one of the pin sizes on the mechanism within the head, so I've backed away from the heavier jobs with it, and possibly haven't used the tool to it's full potential. They have come in handy occasionally though

that's a good review. 

I would like to get one someday if the price is right. 

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 01:38:16 AM
this one is kind of messy to me.    :ahhh

I love locking pliers MTs (got 2 Kershaw's A100, 2 Schrade ST6, a 5WR, looking for a LC6 since 2 years ago) and I absolutely loved my Crunch, which I lost last month.   :rant:
 Now that I've lost a vise-grips MT I feel like trying out a new one, and the Grappler is the only one left (not counting the cheapo Crunch clone and the Vise-Grips branded models they've put out these years).

I've read long and seen a lot about this tool, the reviews, the flaws, the drawbacks, and that's the reason I've been putting off buying it for so long, the other options/brands just seemed better alternatives. I don't know, if I find one at a good price I'll definitely check it out and this thread doesn't help me coping with the loss of a loved locking-MT          :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%