Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dutch_Tooler's minimalist urban EDC

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Dutch_Tooler's minimalist urban EDC
on: September 19, 2017, 09:28:46 PM
I've talked about the things I carry in urban environments before. I normally carry a Minichamp and a Squirt, as well as a Mag LED Solitaire which, now that the days are shortening again on this hemisphere, is likely to become more important again.

Admittedly there is a bit of overlap in the Squirt and MiniChamp as regards tools - knife blade and scissors, mainly - but these are the only tools I feel comfortable carrying for a longer time when I pursue my day to day sedentary office activities. On weekends and on trips I might choose bigger tools, and my office drawer contains a Vic Cybertool.

The Solitaire Led I bought almost when they were released. I'd had a normal Solitaire for years but although the form factor was very practical, I had never been very impressed with the light output, so the LED variant found an immediate friend. I know that by know there are better and cheaper offers, but for now it will do.

I used to carry these items loose in the fifth pocket of my favoured jeans-cut trousers, but one day I found that I was about to lose the MiniChamp. We can't have that. So I proceeded to shop the net for something usable to safely hold the items. I found a leather credit/calling card holder which is just the right size through Etsy - this holds the three items with a little bit of room (about 3 × 2 × 1.5 cms) to spare (any tips on something useful I could put there?) and in addition fits inside most fifth pockets. The leather is a bit soft, so we'll see how long it lasts. If it doesn't hold up long I can try to use it as a template for something stronger.

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 09:50:36 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Re: Dutch_Tooler's minimalist urban EDC
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 09:41:38 PM
Very nice. I have something that seems similar in size and format that holds a Victorinox Executive, Olight aaa flashlight, and lip balm. It's a zipper case for earbuds and will also handle plasters, hair bands, etc. Yours looks much classier, though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 09:48:09 PM
Very nice. I have something that seems similar in size and format that holds a Victorinox Executive, Olight aaa flashlight, and lip balm. It's a zipper case for earbuds and will also handle plasters, hair bands, etc. Yours looks much classier, though.

Thanks :cheers: - yours quite practical too, though. (It's been a while since I needed hair bands, though :rofl: :whistle:)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 10:22:46 PM
Nice and classy solution in leather!

Also, hairbands are very practical no matter how bald you may be. As opposed to rubber bands they don't "stick" to smooth surfaces, like metal or plastic, also they tangle together less than rubber bands do.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:23:47 PM by Steinar »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 12:03:34 PM
Awarded.   :tu:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 01:26:37 PM
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 07:05:02 AM
Thanks!  :tu:

:like:

Doesnt the three tools rub and scratch against each other?

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 10:06:38 AM

A little bit perhaps, although I try to minimise this by orienting them so that metal faces metal. The MiniChamp scales have many scratches anyway...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 10:41:35 AM

A little bit perhaps, although I try to minimise this by orienting them so that metal faces metal. The MiniChamp scales have many scratches anyway...

I can imagine....how about adding a thin, telescoping ballpen to make them all fit snugly?

:tu:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 01:03:06 PM

I can imagine....how about adding a thin, telescoping ballpen to make them all fit snugly?

(Image removed from quote.)

:tu:

Thanks! That's a nice pen... although I won't have much use for a telescopic one, and the MiniChamp carries its own pen for the occasional need I encounter.

I'll need to think of other items that fill up the space and/or pad the tools a bit.  :think:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 05:18:07 PM

Thanks :cheers: - yours quite practical too, though. (It's been a while since I needed hair bands, though :rofl: :whistle:)
No hairbands for my hair, as I'm bald. I carry them for my daughters.
Come to think of it, I used to be in a hair band, just never had the hair band look.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 05:22:16 PM by Mizedog »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 05:37:05 PM
Great way to carry your items.  I wonder if you could add some type divider that attaches to the bottom and top between the tools?  I'm not overly concerned about scratches myself but I cannot leave well enough alone sometimes  :whistle:.   

I was thinking an I beam type leather piece ( 2pcs ).  Maybe some leather glue as a way to attach it to the opening only.  as the tools slide in they will align the I beam so no need to attach the lower part. 

Ok not that you are but don't listen to me.  I cannot leave things alone sometimes.  Great sheath!   :like: 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 12:58:35 AM
Oh yes, of course I do :angel:
Not a bad idea, the dividers... do increase the bulk somewhat though... thanks, I'll think about it :tu:
In related news I'm now wearing trousers with a too small fifth pocket :ahhh
Not a problem right now, spending a weekend somewhere a short flight away, hand luggage only so no carry :rant:

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 12:18:13 PM
Very nice little set up.  Have you looked at the older Squirt P4?  No scissors duplication and you get a handy mini screwdriver and awl. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 01:06:54 PM
Nice, I'm thinking of a pocket caddy myself.  :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 03:09:32 PM
Thanks guys :hatsoff:
Very nice little set up.  Have you looked at the older Squirt P4?  No scissors duplication and you get a handy mini screwdriver and awl. :)
I haven't... but I might. That's a good tip, thanks. I must admit to losing track with the tool complement of the smaller LMs... not for sale new any more are they?

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 06:52:15 PM
Thanks guys :hatsoff:
I haven't... but I might. That's a good tip, thanks. I must admit to losing track with the tool complement of the smaller LMs... not for sale new any more are they?

Lm no longer makes them. But they are quite common on ebay. At least the last time I checked.  :multi:

The best thing about them is, you get rid of the scissors which have a disturbing tendency to break.  :twak:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 10:04:58 PM
This is my urban, minimalist, office carry. The sturdy, chisel ground, clip point blade on the SOG Crossgrip compliments the very light duty, thin, spear point blade of the Manager. I've replaced the SOG 1-sided file with a LM Squirt 3-sided file which doesn't present much redundancy with the nail file on the Manager. Together they offer a wide variety of drivers. Tweezers on the Manager are replaced with a toothpick as the Crossgrip has decent enough tweezers. The AAA light uses 10440 lithium rechargeable batteries and is seriously bright on the highest setting. I don't carry them altogether in a nice pouch like in the OP but usually have the Manager on my keyring, the flashlight clipped to a belt loop and the Crossgrip in its pouch in a pocket.
20171003_143755_resized.jpg
* 20171003_143755_resized.jpg (Filesize: 619.27 KB)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 10:41:36 PM
Nice
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 07:05:15 PM
That's very close to what I've beeb carrying for a numb er of years. I'm retired now, and find I don't need much more knife than an inch or two of b lace, but a few small basic tools is a very good thing to have. Small screw driver and pliers get more use than I'd have thought.

I di a god amount of fishing now, and walks with my better half, and the 58mm SAK and Leatherman Squirt do most of what I need. The Leatherman goes in my watch pocket and the SAK and Fenix E01 is on my keyring, so I can't leave home without my basic kit. Knife/tools and lite.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 05, 2017, 10:52:57 AM
Update...

The Urban EDC pouch now contains the recently acquired  Minitool instead of the Squirt PS4. The tool overlap with the Minichamp is now reduced, and the awesome power of full-size pliers is now available at my beck and call - muahahahahah!

PS: Pity Maglite couldn't call the Solitaire something with Mini... MiniLed, MiniLite, MiniFlash :rofl:

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: November 05, 2017, 11:00:57 AM
Update...

The Urban EDC pouch now contains the recently acquired  Minitool instead of the Squirt PS4. The tool overlap with the Minichamp is now reduced, and the awesome power of full-size pliers is now available at my beck and call - muahahahahah!

PS: Pity Maglite couldn't call the Solitaire something with Mini... MiniLed, MiniLite, MiniFlash :rofl:(Image removed from quote.)

It's getting carried now...

Great! :2tu:

Remember, your first carry with the Mini, is the Mini's first day of carry too!

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 05, 2017, 11:23:48 AM
Update...

PS: Pity Maglite couldn't call the Solitaire something with Mini... MiniLed, MiniLite, MiniFlash :rofl:(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks, I shall keep that in mind :tu:

I think my philosophical makeup is incompatible with the hoarding of shelf queens. Tools need using or at least carrying... and this one is carried in soft leather too, as a nod to its status as a classic. The fit is nice and snug, so no danger of the handles coming into conflict with the metal on the Minichamp.

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: November 05, 2017, 01:36:07 PM
Update...

Thanks, I shall keep that in mind :tu:

I think my philosophical makeup is incompatible with the hoarding of shelf queens. Tools need using or at least carrying... and this one is carried in soft leather too, as a nod to its status as a classic. The fit is nice and snug, so no danger of the handles coming into conflict with the metal on the Minichamp.

To each his own. I perfectly understand the reasoning of "using for intended purpose" but I also like some bling in a glass cabinet :D

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: November 10, 2017, 02:37:21 PM
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: November 12, 2017, 02:20:24 PM
I'm very minimal these days  :tu: should have my powerful pete in a few days  :tu:
2017-11-12 12.42.46.jpg
* 2017-11-12 12.42.46.jpg (Filesize: 283.16 KB)

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: September 23, 2021, 07:15:29 PM
Let's resurrect a long-dormant thread, shall we? We don't have enough active threads here anyway... (j/k 😀)

Playing around I discovered my urban carry will fit in a belt-clip mini Skinth in case I had no, or full, pockets. Pics say more than words.
8232021184625.jpg
* 8232021184625.jpg (Filesize: 375.84 KB)
8232021184229.jpg
* 8232021184229.jpg (Filesize: 460.78 KB)
8232021191456.jpg
* 8232021191456.jpg (Filesize: 389.92 KB)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: September 23, 2021, 08:03:56 PM
Seems I missed this thread the first go round :think:

Looks like some very nice carries, DT :cheers: :like:

I guess my carries are opposite yours, I carry heavier for work ( because of construction  ;) ) and lighter when just out :tu: Of course I go with a similar heavy carry if I am out around the house working as well :cheers:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: September 23, 2021, 09:10:59 PM
 :hatsoff: Thanks!

My carries vary a lot depending on the occasion. This carry I used to have for office use, but I haven't been going to said office a lot since Covid started so this carry has been dormant for a while, allowing sone experimentation :D

Discerning eyes will notice the flashlight no longer is a Maglite Solitaire - that died on me after a battery leaked all its fluids out and swelled up so much that it was thoroughly stuck. A generic LED thing has taken its place.

Other carries are usually heavier, for odd jobs around the house or garden. Then medium heavy hiking carries (Wave or Rebar) travel carries (if allowed), solo tools in pockets (preferably equipped with a clip), 'non-carries' (in a saddlebag on the Guzzi) etc. etc.

This season I'll start leaning towards lights as part of my carry, for obvious reasons involving planetary axis wobble with respect to the planet's orbital plane around this system's primary star.

:cheers:

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24