Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I have vanquished the cork with out a corkscrew!

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
on: September 19, 2017, 10:02:25 PM
Last night I successfully opened a corked bottle of wine using nothing but the can opener tool on my Pioneer. This was my second attempt. The first bottle of wine I tried this on refused to be opened in such a manner. I had to vanquish it with the corkscrew on my CT41 (which was okay, because it was that SAKs first wine bottle, so that was special in its own right).

But last night, I achieved what I had previously thought to be impossible. Using the method outlined in this youtube video I was able to cleanly remove the cork.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIwFa95vlf0
One additonal thing I did that helped was to make a pilot hole with the awl, allowing me to plunge the can opener deeper into the cork.

Victory! :viking:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:04:25 PM by GoatDragon »

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Re: I have vanquished the cork with out a corkscrew!
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 10:07:44 PM
That looks like a synthetic cork  What about real corks?

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 10:13:45 PM
Looks like a real cork to me.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:16:26 PM by GoatDragon »

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 10:20:58 PM
Last night I successfully opened a corked bottle of wine using nothing but the can opener tool on my Pioneer. This was my second attempt. The first bottle of wine I tried this on refused to be opened in such a manner. I had to vanquish it with the corkscrew on my CT41 (which was okay, because it was that SAKs first wine bottle, so that was special in its own right).
(Image removed from quote.)
But last night, I achieved what I had previously thought to be impossible. Using the method outlined in this youtube video I was able to cleanly remove the cork.
One additonal thing I did that helped was to make a pilot hole with the awl, allowing me to plunge the can opener deeper into the cork.

Great use of the can opener!
Thanks for sharing the video. :like: :tu: :tu:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 10:26:05 PM

So it does!

Did you try it on synthetic corks?
I have not yet! I would expect it should be easier than real cork though because the foam they use should hold together better.

But who knows until someone tries!  :drink:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:30:21 PM by GoatDragon »

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 10:33:52 PM
Also, we want a test with non-glued cork. Your cork seems to be made the same way as Champagne corks, i.e. small pieces of cork glued together, while wine is traditionally corked with a stopper cut from a single piece of the cork tree bark. This is MT.o, after all. :D

(No, I won't test it myself, I'll stick to my corkscrews, thankyouverymuch! :) )

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 10:36:05 PM
I showed my wife the picture of the cork, and she felt it looked normal/non-glued cork, so now I'm all  :think:

Ah, well, she's more often right than I like to admit.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 10:39:03 PM
Also, we want a test with non-glued cork. Your cork seems to be made the same way as Champagne corks, i.e. small pieces of cork glued together, while wine is traditionally corked with a stopper cut from a single piece of the cork tree bark. This is MT.o, after all. :D

(No, I won't test it myself, I'll stick to my corkscrews, thankyouverymuch! :) )
Well I generally buy inexpensive (≤$12) wine, and thanks to the foil they put on the bottles it's impossible to know what kind of cork you're gonna get. I will however be opening every bottle of wine I get in this manner for a good while (until I feel that I have mastered the technique) because it extends the capabilites of my edc sak of choice.

So if I come across any differently constructed corks in the future I will update this thread with the results!

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 10:45:44 PM

Well I generally buy inexpensive (≤$12) wine, and thanks to the foil they put on the bottles it's impossible to know what kind of cork you're gonna get. I will however be opening every bottle of wine I get in this manner for a good while (until I feel that I have mastered the technique) because it extends the capabilites of my edc sak of choice.

So if I come across any differently constructed corks in the future I will update this thread with the results!
:cheers:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 10:46:18 PM
 :tu: :salute:

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 10:55:21 PM

It's nice that it can remove a cork but can it open a box of wine?  That's what us real connoisseurs drink. :whistle:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 11:00:56 PM by Okie Shyster »

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 11:01:12 PM
It's nice that it can remove a cork but can it open a box of wine?  That's what us real connoisseurs drink.   :whistle:
That's what the knife blade is for.  ;)

Oh my god there's wine everywere!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 11:07:45 PM by GoatDragon »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 01:10:16 AM
Nice job!   :like:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 01:14:18 AM
Some people use that squiggly knot untying thing on the bottom of most saks to remove corkscrews, but Ive never been a fan.  :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 02:43:55 AM

So it does!

Did you try it on synthetic corks?

The cork in the video appears to be synthetic.

Great thread!  I'll be trying this! 

Offline kylehca

Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 04:48:57 AM
Excellent!!
Thanks for the increased utility of my SAK, (Super Tinker)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 04:50:00 AM by kylehca »

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 04:56:43 AM
Excellent!!
Thanks for the increased utility of my SAK, (Super Tinker)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Welcome to Multitool.org!  :cheers:

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 05:23:55 AM
Good move!
I've made no secret that I'm not a fan of the corkscrew anyway because other than holding the mini screwdriver, it seems like a waste of a good tool space on the SAK. However, I realize many models of SAK include it and many people like it.

I do like how you've found a way to complete the task when you would not have a corkscrew on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 08:57:24 AM
I've tried it before, and more often than not I push the cork into the bottle.  :facepalm:

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 09:03:00 AM
I've tried it before, and more often than not I push the cork into the bottle.  :facepalm:
I just tried it again tonight, and pushed the cork into the bottle just as you say. Had to save the day with a proper corkscrew. This time I did not create a starter hole with the awl, however, so that could be key. The cork this time was also natural and looked less glued together than the previous one.

Regardless, I am only 33% successful with this technique so far. Further testing is required to see if it can be done reliably with proper technique.  :drink:

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:06:04 AM by GoatDragon »

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 11:22:20 AM
You make a good point Goatie! A row of pilot holes with the awl will definitely help. Will try that next time...

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 12:14:32 PM
You can use the awl to remove the cork. Insert it at an angle (45º +/-), twist gently while you pull up. The cork will rotate and come out.

:salute: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 12:45:09 PM
You can use the awl to remove the cork. Insert it at an angle (45º +/-), twist gently while you pull up. The cork will rotate and come out.

:salute: :tu:

Nice techniques both  :salute:
I personally never worry much about corks as i normally don't even drink wine, and if i eventually do there is always a corkscrew around somewhere.
Coming from a country that produces some of the word's finest wines i know that sounds like blasphemy...  :facepalm:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #24 on: September 20, 2017, 03:39:02 PM
I showed my wife the picture of the cork, and she felt it looked normal/non-glued cork, so now I'm all  :think:

It's what they call an agglomerated cork.  You are right and your wife is wrong, and you can tell her that from me if you like, I think Norway is a safe distance away ;)
That one has discs of solid cork glued to the ends, which is quite common.  Possibly so that the wine comes into contact with a piece of natural cork, or possibly to make it look more like a natural cork to the casual observer.
A solid natural cork is defintely going to be more risky to remove using this type of method.  Often they contain cracks or lines of weakness and the cork breaks.  Even the corkscrew on a SAK is sub-standard in this respect, since it's not long enough to drill down the full length of the cork.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: September 20, 2017, 03:56:54 PM

It's what they call an agglomerated cork.  You are right and your wife is wrong, and you can tell her that from me if you like, I think Norway is a safe distance away ;)

Whoo!  :like:

;)

That one has discs of solid cork glued to the ends, which is quite common.  Possibly so that the wine comes into contact with a piece of natural cork, or possibly to make it look more like a natural cork to the casual observer.
A solid natural cork is defintely going to be more risky to remove using this type of method.  Often they contain cracks or lines of weakness and the cork breaks.  Even the corkscrew on a SAK is sub-standard in this respect, since it's not long enough to drill down the full length of the cork.

Good point, especially since the cork length varies a lot between beverages and brands. (I open more bottles of lambic with a corkscrew than wine, that's why I use a general term.  :drink: )

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #26 on: September 20, 2017, 03:58:20 PM

Whoo!  :like:

;)

Good point, especially since the cork length varies a lot between beverages and brands. (I open more bottles of lambic with a corkscrew than wine, that's why I use a general term.  :drink: )

General Term!
 :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #27 on: September 20, 2017, 06:45:45 PM
I think Norway is a safe distance away ;)
Says the guy in the UK. Have you never heard of the Vikings? :viking:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #28 on: September 20, 2017, 06:48:58 PM
Are you guys that are using the corkscrew doing it wrong?  I've never had an issue, comes out pretty darn easy  :think:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #29 on: September 20, 2017, 06:53:20 PM
Yeah seriously, the 91mm corkscrew has never been too short for me. Last night I pushed what appeared to be an unglued natural whole cork half way into the bottle attempting the can opener method. The corkscrew on my CT41 was still able to exact it with ease.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%