Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Axe Handles

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Axe Handles
on: September 20, 2017, 04:16:19 AM
So i mentioned in this post about my fun time sifting through the axe handle options at three hardware stores

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,73647.0.html

I thought I'd post a pic of those I found. It wasn't my intention to buy all of these, but since the selection was a bit rubbish, I figured I'd just grab the best of what was there so in the future if I broke a handle or found a good head to bang on a handle I'd have it.

From Top to bottom, 800mm Hickory (Full size), 700mm Spotted Gum (3/4 size), 600mm Spotted Gum (1/2 size), 380mm Spotted gum Hatchet, Chinese "hardwood" hatchet handle, which I'll use on the larger of the Chinese heads on the left.

The Hickory I can use for the 4.5lb Hytest Craftsman head I have. I need to find a good 3/4 size head, about 2.25lb to put on the 700mm handle. The 1/2 axe handle is a good replacement option for an existing axe or if I find a head for it. The hatchet handle will be saved for a decent head if I find one down the track.

All of the Aussie ones are from the same manufacturer, Krugers. There is a lot of variation in these, some have a slightly better shape than others, some have a bit better grain. My selections had the best grain and straightness I could find, though one doesn't have quite as nice a swell on the end, it's a bit thin there.

I bought the 800mm and 600mm at one place, the 700mm and Hatchet at another (my local), and the Chinese handle at the big box hardware outlet, which I won't bother going to for tool handles now. I'd already bought the Hickory handle at the first place I went to, so didn't look very much at the different Hickory options at my local shop, as I was keen to get a Spotted Gum instead.

Anyhoo, thought this might be of interest to some here

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Axe Handles
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 06:27:30 AM
 :ahhh

You are just teasing me now  :pok:
Can't see the picture
Everything’s adjustable

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 10:54:12 AM
Have you got a google account?

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 04:03:46 PM
Um yes  :think:
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 06:25:41 AM

Oh yes  :popcorn:  :D
Everything’s adjustable

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 08:38:59 AM
yup. sharpie, axe heads and handles, altoids, knife, can of something green, wires or very small diameter rubber hoses, axe puck, 2 blue cans, brush, 2 unopened packages, a rag...
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 08:52:42 AM
yup. sharpie, axe heads and handles, altoids, knife, can of something green, wires or very small diameter rubber hoses, axe puck, 2 blue cans, brush, 2 unopened packages, a rag...

:tu: could you see the first, second or both? They're the same pic, should be the same link....

hr Offline styx

Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 03:04:57 PM
only the second. wait are those wooden clothes pins?

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 06:58:13 PM

Only the second

Wait a minute you have removed something from the table since this morning
Mmm now what was there this morning  :think:
something orange  :think:

:whistle:
Everything’s adjustable

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 01:30:22 AM

Only the second

I had to make room so they'd fit on the bench easier!
I think the orange thing was a mint tin

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 07:07:45 AM

Only the second

I thought you were testing me
They have tests like that here before they put you in an old peoples home   
(Then they take away your axes   :ahhh )

:D :cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

hr Offline styx

Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 07:56:30 AM

Only the second

but you're not even close to that age

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 08:49:15 AM

:dd: :dd:   :hatsoff:   :D
Everything’s adjustable

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 08:07:35 AM

Only the second

If you don't know you're being tested, it's probably all over!

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 08:57:22 AM
Comparison between two Hickory handles (I picked up a different hickory handle at the weekend) and one Spotted Gum handle

Not very obvious, but the Hickory handles are both thicker in this dimension.

In the other dimension, things are a lot clearer:

At the thinnest point, the Spotted Gum handle is 22mm, the middle handle it 24, and the other Hickory is 26mm. Things get thicker from there but a lot more for the Hickory options. The middle handle has a much nicer palm swell than the other one, about equivalent to the gum handle.

hr Offline styx

Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 09:13:08 AM
What are the benefits of gum handles?

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 09:26:58 AM

They are a popular tool handle choice in Australia. The wood is quite dense and sturdy, so possibly a little tougher than Hickory, I don't know.
Biggest benefit is the cost - 2/3 to 1/2 the price of the Hickory handles. Other than a bit of sanding, the gum handle is as manufactured for thickness, which I quite like. A fair bit would need trimming off the hickory to bring it down to the same dimensions, so less work to get it from the log thickness to handle thickness desired by myself, but that's just down to preference. Easier to provide a fat handle and let the buyer take material off if desired, than go too thin.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:23:00 AM by TazzieRob »

hr Offline styx

Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 04:04:39 PM

They are a popular tool handle choice in Australia. The wood is quite dense and sturdy, so possibly a little tougher than Hickory, I don't know.
Biggest benefit is the cost - 2/3 to 1/2 the price of the Hickory handles. Other than a bit of sanding, the gum handle is as manufactured for thickness, which I quite like. A fair bit would need trimming off the hickory to bring it down to the same dimensions, so less work to get it from the log thickness to handle thickness desired by myself, but that's just down to preference. Easier to provide a fat handle and let the buyer take material off if desired, than go too thin.

although many customers cringe when someone does thin out the handle

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 11:19:14 PM

Why so? The axe needs to be comfortable for the user to use. An axe that isn't used will never break

hr Offline styx

Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 08:36:10 AM

Why so? The axe needs to be comfortable for the user to use. An axe that isn't used will never break

Probably because they think that a thick handle is superior in terms of toughness and durability. But it does go to the point if or how much use will that axe see. For instance, I should not be the one to complain about thickness when any axe I get won't see that much use unless something drastically changes in my life (job that requires more time spent in rural areas, moving out of the city, etc.)

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 09:19:31 AM

Probably because they think that a thick handle is superior in terms of toughness and durability. But it does go to the point if or how much use will that axe see. For instance, I should not be the one to complain about thickness when any axe I get won't see that much use unless something drastically changes in my life (job that requires more time spent in rural areas, moving out of the city, etc.)

I'm no expert. When I used my old Hytest to split wood whilst living in a house with a wood heater, I know I over struck many times. Whether the old handle was more sturdy than modern handles I don't know. I know I didn't break the handle off, but did take some chunks out of it, and it held together ok. I can't say I have had any real experience using an axe with a hickory handle. I don't know how they stand up to over strike. Sure, a thinner handle should be more susceptible to breaking than a thicker one, and a handle manufacturer can possibly get away with a wider range of quality without getting inexperienced users breaking handles and having to replace them under warranty as often, which increases profit, maybe. Seems to me, that a thicker, less springy handle is more likely to transfer shock back to the user. As I was growing up as a kid on the farm, my Dad's block splitter had a probably 1 - 1.5 inch steel pipe handle welded to it. I can't remember using it much, I probably just selected wood from the pile that was already split small enough. But over strike on that thing :o  :bnghd:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 09:21:58 AM by TazzieRob »

hr Offline styx

Reply #22 on: September 26, 2017, 02:13:46 PM

I'm no expert. When I used my old Hytest to split wood whilst living in a house with a wood heater, I know I over struck many times. Whether the old handle was more sturdy than modern handles I don't know. I know I didn't break the handle off, but did take some chunks out of it, and it held together ok. I can't say I have had any real experience using an axe with a hickory handle. I don't know how they stand up to over strike. Sure, a thinner handle should be more susceptible to breaking than a thicker one, and a handle manufacturer can possibly get away with a wider range of quality without getting inexperienced users breaking handles and having to replace them under warranty as often, which increases profit, maybe. Seems to me, that a thicker, less springy handle is more likely to transfer shock back to the user. As I was growing up as a kid on the farm, my Dad's block splitter had a probably 1 - 1.5 inch steel pipe handle welded to it. I can't remember using it much, I probably just selected wood from the pile that was already split small enough. But over strike on that thing :o  :bnghd:

That's my line of thought too. Although since I'm eyeballing a Fiskars, maybe I shouldn't concern myself with such things

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #23 on: September 26, 2017, 03:13:10 PM
Although since I'm eyeballing a Fiskars, maybe I shouldn't concern myself with such things

I was happier with both my Fiskars splitting axes compared to the conventional splitting maul (block buster) I was using previously.  I started out with the larger X27 (I'm a big bloke with a fairly powerful swing), but found the slightly smaller X25 was easier to swing, more accurate and capable of splitting 90% of what I wanted to deal with.  Of course now I use my kinetic log splitter and it is more effective than any of these axes/mauls  ;) 
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

hr Offline styx

Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 03:51:22 PM
well your back is also a big factor

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: September 26, 2017, 11:16:52 PM
It looks like Fiskars has discontinued it's chopping axes above the X10 (now only X5, 7, and 10) all the longer axes are splitting axes from the X11, 21, 25 and 27

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #26 on: September 27, 2017, 02:46:41 AM

True.  Being able to move without pain the next day does help  :D
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: September 27, 2017, 03:34:14 AM

True.  Being able to move without pain the next day does help  :D

No point busting up your body to stay warm.

This video is interesting from Fiskars for sizing. Py attention though to the slow motion of the axe in operation for splitting right in the first few seconds, and see the handle flex

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: September 27, 2017, 03:40:21 AM
It looks like Fiskars has discontinued it's chopping axes above the X10 (now only X5, 7, and 10) all the longer axes are splitting axes from the X11, 21, 25 and 27

Scratch that, the X10 has been discontinued, and there's an X17 splitting axe
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 04:00:55 AM by TazzieRob »

hr Offline styx

Reply #29 on: September 27, 2017, 08:54:48 AM
Well it doesn't seem too stiff. With my needs the X7 will be perfectly fine so I can throw that handle length out the window for now

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%