Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Axe Handles

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Re: Axe Handles
Reply #30 on: September 27, 2017, 09:15:59 AM
Well it doesn't seem too stiff. With my needs the X7 will be perfectly fine so I can throw that handle length out the window for now

Makes me wonder if they thin out the handles for the lighter axes or just shorten them

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: September 27, 2017, 09:20:59 AM
Well it doesn't seem too stiff. With my needs the X7 will be perfectly fine so I can throw that handle length out the window for now

Makes me wonder if they thin out the handles for the lighter axes or just shorten them

The whole focus of the Fiskars Axe vids appears to be on Splitting

https://youtu.be/CO5sTOcWH_U

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: September 27, 2017, 02:59:18 PM
Seems so. Not sure why though
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: September 27, 2017, 03:21:27 PM

Maybe they are not very sharp?  :shrug:

Not to criticise a bloke in a checked shirt but I would have the log to be split on the far (to him) side of the block  :tu:

(I think I learnt that watching Rey Mears  :think:)
Everything’s adjustable

hr Offline styx

Reply #34 on: September 27, 2017, 06:46:24 PM

Not to criticise a bloke in a checked shirt but I would have the log to be split on the far (to him) side of the block  :tu:

I think more people on this forum would state the same

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: September 28, 2017, 01:36:23 AM

I think more people on this forum would state the same

I see nothing wrong with his technique. I don't think Ray would either.
First off, it's a pretty big block, both diameter, and height. Getting the height up there means the axe isn't on a swing path towards you as it would be for a shorter block. I made this mistake in  the past, my block was barely big enough to sit the logs on, and was just a stumpy little rubbish bit that was probably only 200mm high. For my block, I should have been on my knees, not standing.
The round is in the centre of the very large block, not on the leading edge, still giving extra for under strike.
Now look at the position of his hands when he strikes the round and the block on completion. They are level or below the cutting edge, so even a miss hit follow through the axe should not be able to arc through and hit the user

hr Offline styx

Reply #36 on: September 28, 2017, 08:40:11 AM
wouldn't block height also need to factor in the user's height?

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: September 28, 2017, 09:17:24 AM
I would say so, yes

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: September 28, 2017, 09:27:21 AM

Not to disagree with you Rob but I still think I would have moved it to the back of the stump
(I tried to show a lad good chopping tecnique in the summer and that was one of my safety points)
In an ideal world

But we know that in the real world the floor is uneven, our hands are sweaty, the rounds are not cut straight, we are lucky if our block is level, and theres bloody wasps to fight off  :D
Everything’s adjustable

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: September 28, 2017, 11:21:30 AM

Not to disagree with you Rob but I still think I would have moved it to the back of the stump
(I tried to show a lad good chopping tecnique in the summer and that was one of my safety points)
In an ideal world

But we know that in the real world the floor is uneven, our hands are sweaty, the rounds are not cut straight, we are lucky if our block is level, and theres bloody wasps to fight off  :D

Knowing what we know, I'd rate them as follows:
Log at front of block = NO SON!!!  :o  :twak:
Log at back of block = Go hard, man!  :salute:

hr Offline styx

Reply #40 on: September 28, 2017, 04:09:02 PM

In an ideal world

Knowing what we know, I'd rate them as follows:
Log at front of block = NO SON!!!  :o  :twak:
Log at back of block = Go hard, man!  :salute:

Wasp coming at you = knock it out with your hand, don't use the axe

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: September 28, 2017, 07:22:57 PM

:whistle:
Everything’s adjustable

hr Offline styx

Reply #42 on: September 28, 2017, 10:18:26 PM
How old is the kid?

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: September 28, 2017, 10:32:59 PM

Some friends lad and Sister, 7 & 9ish
I was trying to get translated in to German for them 'triangle of death'  :D 

Everything’s adjustable

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: September 29, 2017, 03:48:14 AM
Here is an attempted comparison shot of Spotted Gum and Hickory handles.
Bit blurry and hard to get them lined up in the right plane to show correctly but I think it still illustrates it ok.

Hickory
Hickory
Gum
Gum
Gum
Hickory
Gum
Gum
Gum

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: September 29, 2017, 03:49:54 AM
Husky Forest Axe Vs Kruger Spotted Gum Handle

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: September 29, 2017, 04:08:02 AM
800mm handles

Looks like I have a bowed handle on the Hytest, probably from sitting it on the ground and leaning it up  :oops:
Hang your axes up, folks!

hr Offline styx

Reply #47 on: September 29, 2017, 08:24:31 AM

Some friends lad and Sister, 7 & 9ish
I was trying to get translated in to German for them 'triangle of death'  :D 

that must have been fun

Husky Forest Axe Vs Kruger Spotted Gum Handle

(Image removed from quote.)

you can really see the difference in thickness

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: September 30, 2017, 09:19:58 PM

Everything’s adjustable

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: September 30, 2017, 10:34:04 PM

:rofl:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #50 on: September 30, 2017, 11:53:35 PM

Checkmate.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 11:58:14 PM by Syncop8r »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #51 on: September 30, 2017, 11:57:39 PM
I know hickory is meant to be the bee's knees for handles, but could it be possible that the spotted gum is thinner because in can be? Perhaps the hickory is better being a bit thicker, but the SG can get away with it because of its characteristics.
I don't know, just a thought.  :shrug:

hr Offline styx

Reply #52 on: October 01, 2017, 10:15:59 AM
When you look at guys like Steven from Skillcult (I think that is his name) hickory handles can also be thinned down. There were a good number of pics on the net showing the difference between handle thickness from 60ish years ago and today

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: October 01, 2017, 01:09:05 PM
I know hickory is meant to be the bee's knees for handles, but could it be possible that the spotted gum is thinner because in can be? Perhaps the hickory is better being a bit thicker, but the SG can get away with it because of its characteristics.
I don't know, just a thought.  :shrug:

Very possible that this is true, I get the impression that an equivalent thickness hickory handle would have more flex than a spotted gum. No idea if this is true. It may also be weaker, but with proper use shouldn't break

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: October 01, 2017, 01:15:51 PM
When you look at guys like Steven from Skillcult (I think that is his name) hickory handles can also be thinned down. There were a good number of pics on the net showing the difference between handle thickness from 60ish years ago and today

I have ordered The Ax Book by Dudley Cook that Steven Edholm says is good. I'm interested to know more. From reviews of axes like the GB SFA, they seem to have thinner handles, but I've never seen one in the flesh. I can understand a handle manufacturer making their handles thicker for sale. There's many benefits I can see for them. Less work, they can make a more rubbish piece of wood into a useable handle with less chance of breaking, less warranty claims from broken handles, and if a customer thins it down and it breaks well that's down to modification and user error, not the handle manufacturer's fault. All equates to more profit but not necessarily a better product
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:17:18 PM by TazzieRob »

hr Offline styx

Reply #55 on: October 01, 2017, 01:22:11 PM

I have ordered The Ax Book by Dudley Cook that Steven Edholm says is good. I'm interested to know more. From reviews of axes like the GB SFA, they seem to have thinner handles, but I've never seen one in the flesh. I can understand a handle manufacturer making their handles thicker for sale. There's many benefits I can see for them. Less work, they can make a more rubbish piece of wood into a useable handle with less chance of breaking, less warranty claims from broken handles, and if a customer thins it down and it breaks well that's down to modification and user error, not the handle manufacturer's fault. All equates to more profit but not necessarily a better product

Well that is very true.
Here is a thought - how much would thinning down a handle change the balance of an axe towards the head. Handles are lighter in comparison to the head, but which amount would be significant enough to change the performance

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: October 01, 2017, 01:28:25 PM

Well that is very true.
Here is a thought - how much would thinning down a handle change the balance of an axe towards the head. Handles are lighter in comparison to the head, but which amount would be significant enough to change the performance

Depends where you remove most material from. If you took most from closer to the head it would have less effect than taking more from the end, due to the total moment of the handle. Like any lever, the longer it is, the thinner it can be for the same effect of balance vs the head

hr Offline styx

Reply #57 on: October 01, 2017, 03:48:58 PM
well normally you thin the entire handle down

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: October 01, 2017, 09:21:17 PM
well normally you thin the entire handle down

That's where a bigger palm swell / fawns foot or whatever you want to call it can help. It keeps a bit of a lump as far from the head as possible. I think on my Husky the balance point is still back from the head a ways, so can still thin out more material before it becomes head heavy

hr Offline styx

Reply #59 on: October 01, 2017, 10:53:03 PM
That should be helpful. I wonder where the balance is on the Fiskars

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%