Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sipik SK68, the tank from the dollar store.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Sipik SK68, the tank from the dollar store.
on: September 20, 2017, 06:03:32 PM
I've got 2 Sipiks that I bought over 2 years ago. One of them is sitting untouched on stand-by, the other is used as work EDC. By performing maintenance on wireless alarm systems, I sometimes replace 14500 batteries inside them, meaning I get a decent supply of "fresh" batteries.
(The Sipik works on both regular AA batteries and 3V ones too, meaning I always have a new power source nearby)

Yesterday evening I was finaly ready to go to bed at 11pm after working non stop (apart from lunch/dinner) since 8am.
I was tired and my clothes were dirty so I just threw them in front of the washing machine and went to bed.

This morning I got up, grabbed some fresh clothes and went out the door again. However, at my first stop I noticed I'm missing a vital part of my EDC... the Sipik.
I used my phone's light which is far from ideal but it did what it needed to.

Around 13h00 I get a call from my girlfriend, who's quite annoyed. She tells me that she had put all my dirty clothes in the washing machine and now there's something bashing inside. She tells me that she thinks it's my Led Lenser flashlight and begs me not to become mad (like I'm an agressor type :think:).
I tell her that it's just a €3 light and she shouldn't be worried.

I just got home for a quick dinner and to grab my missed Sipik for the rest of the day since it'll start to get dark soon. What shows? The Sipik works like nothing happened! The machine washed it at 95 degrees Celcius (near boiling point) and threw it around like crazy, but the light still shines.
Alot of more expensive lights would've gone dark forever, but not this little cheapo.

So what did we learn today?
Made in China + cheap is NOT always junk!
And that my girlfriend thinks I've got self control issues. :facepalm:

Anyway, here's the little bugger!

Going to throw away the battery though. There's something about wet batteries I just don't thrust.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Sipik SK68, the tank from the dollar store.
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 07:09:34 PM
Those are some quality CnC ( cheap and cheerful ) lights.  They are EDC staples for many. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 08:58:58 PM
Those are some quality CnC ( cheap and cheerful ) lights.  They are EDC staples for many.
Got one yourself?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 12:59:36 AM
Got one yourself?
I have a few of the same design, no brand.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 03:18:37 AM
I'd love for that light to be sold here. I've tried all sorts of five buck and under flashlights, but their downfall seems to be the same thing, the switch which always is the first thing to go. Of course, for $6 I can get a Mini Maglite, and that's what I usually do. Unfortunately, compared to the more expensive LED version (and even the LED Solitaire), they're not all that bright.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 06:24:11 AM
Got one yourself?

I don't.  Early on in my flashlight infancy I had read so much about these lights.  I was only into AAA at the time so never ended up getting one. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 06:51:13 AM
I'd love for that light to be sold here. I've tried all sorts of five buck and under flashlights, but their downfall seems to be the same thing, the switch which always is the first thing to go. Of course, for $6 I can get a Mini Maglite, and that's what I usually do. Unfortunately, compared to the more expensive LED version (and even the LED Solitaire), they're not all that bright.
Chinese online stores sell these.
Think of DX, MITB, DD etc.

Usualy around $/€3.5 a piece.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 12:26:55 AM
Also readily available on Amazon.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%