Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A small observation on airline carry-on regulations

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
A small observation on airline carry-on regulations
on: September 20, 2017, 10:03:44 PM
I was freshing up on the local (i.e. EU/EEA) rules on what you are allowed to bring in your carry-on luggage, as I'm taking a flight without bringing anything checked in soon.

As you probably know, knives and non-locking folding knives with blades less than 6 cm are allowed in Europe (I've brought a Rambler through many airports, both large and small). What I hadn't noticed before, is any kind of pliers are explicitly forbidden.

So, the Classic which is OK in the EEA will be confiscated in the US, while the "TSA compliant" Leatherman Style PS will leave your hands in Europe.

Good to know that between them, they have all bases covered.  :P

Disclaimer: IANAL, anything may be confiscated anyway, anybody may be a dog on the Internet, etc, etc.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: A small observation on airline carry-on regulations
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 10:08:02 PM
If you fly between Schengen countries you can bring a 91mm. In Zurich you can buy them after the checking...
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 10:14:21 PM
If you fly between Schengen countries you can bring a 91mm. In Zurich you can buy them after the checking...

:dd: A bygone from a more civilized age.  :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 12:28:52 AM

:dd: A bygone from a more civilized age.  :D

Ah yes, a much more simple and enjoyable time :dd: :like:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 05:02:18 PM
Traveling by train or just driving looks more appealing these days.  :salute:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 06:16:32 PM
Traveling by train or just driving looks more appealing these days.  :salute:

Agreed!

The last time I went on holiday (two years ago) I opted to take a cruise from and back to a UK port, primarily to avoid the humiliating treatment associated with flying these days.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 10:02:06 PM
It has been ages since I took a plane.
Think last time when I was a kid.
Simply because they refuse to attach my camping trailer...

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 10:05:39 PM
Oddly my Rambler also went on trips without an issue
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 10:28:14 PM
What I don't understand is you go through this expensive machine, holding your hands above your head, and after you pass that inspection, they still have to grab your nuts :think:

I think I am going to sign up for the pre-check program.

hr Offline styx

Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 09:55:39 AM
Guess it depends on the person if they think it is safer to have a small knife or pliers. Few days ago I pulled out an 111mm SAK in a store to open something and the old lady that was beside just said it is fortunate someone is prepared. Most people would steer clear of me but she asked if I could hand her a few cans of beans while I'm already taking them out
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 02:43:28 PM
What I always find a bit annoying is the randomness... Technically, you are allowed to fly with a blade less than 6cm, apparently not just Schengen area, but at least all of Europe (including Turkey). But you cannot be certain that the guy checking you out does not have a different opinion, and his/her judgement is all that counts.

When I went on the flight observation deck at Zurich airport, they kept my Spirit for me, while I as there but I was allowed to keep the Benchmade Mini Grip (don't let the Mini fool you, that is a bigger blade).
I have flown with some sort of metal capsule for at least a dozen times, the current one is rather large at 17x65mm, not once they asked about it (I suspect they can see through it, still could hold liquid or something)... but on my last trip they wanted to check out my Caran d'ache pen (metal pen), which is probably the most common pen in Switzerland.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 06:40:48 PM
I was told yesterday that e cigarettes will be confiscated at the airport in the UAE. I might have to smoke again after 6 years. I wonder if yatagans are permitted.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 07:51:56 PM
One of my brothers just went through TSA in California with a Midnight Mgr that I made bladeless for him. He said initially they tried to confiscate it, but he talked with them, they then went through all his carry-ons and brought over the supervisor who looked closely at the SAK. My brother had to show him that the blade was removed expressly for travel. They finally let him through.

On the other hand, my daughter did four flights around the west coast and to Chicago in Aug/Sept with a Classic SD in the bottom of her purse/backpack without any issues. Nobody ever asked to see anything.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 05:47:15 AM
I was traveling in SE Asia this summer, and Thailand had strict rules regarding those backup battery packs for charging cell phones and tablets on the go.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%