Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Freehand

damota · 27 · 6771

Offline damota

Gerber Freehand
on: September 05, 2006, 06:05:52 PM
Just bought a Gerber Freehand.
First impressions - a real plier that has a few extra bits to make it a multi tool. I would have preferred the serrated blade to be replaced with a file, the scissors are the best I have had on a multitool, the screw driver with the measure scale on it is as strong as the blade on the S&W First Response and makes a good pries bar (I would only use the blade not the hinge part). The main blade is said to be 3 inches, UK potential users be warned it is the cutting edge that is 3" the blade is 3 3/8" as the police would measure it so over the legal limit for EDC and also of course all the tools lock so that would all have to be explained for in the reason to be carrying it. All the main external blades open easily one handed and do not need adjusting. The small tools open a little when you pull on the locking mechanism and are easily opened using both hands. Two flat screw drivers a slim crosshead the obligertry bottle/tin opener and a lanyard ring. The crosshead does not take the bit adapter.
The pliers are superb open a decent amount (not quite as far as the 600's but wider than the tools that fold up. It is heavy enough to knock the odd panel pin in. When closed it has a clip that holds both handles close together so it does not nip when using the scissors and/or the other tools at the back end. You bring it into use by flicking it in the normal Gerber way and as the handles part, small ratchets hold the handles apart so you again do not nip yourself when gripping something. Although all the extra tools are on the outside of the handle it is still comfortable to grip because all the tools are so thick and care has been taken in their positioning so there is nothing sticking up in a way that could hurt. It is held together with torx 8 and cross head screws so can be tightened up if and when needed. (That's what puts me right off leatherman). Although it is heavier than most Multitools you do not notice it while in it's pouch. Now I will see what a bit of my carefully use/(abuse) does to it.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Gerber Freehand
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 11:21:46 PM
I just turned this into it's own topic because it really deserves it.  Great review- do you have any pictures?
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline damota

Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 03:20:51 PM
Hope these will do??? Hope it works cos I can not get them to show in preveiw.
Closed with scissors.JPG
* Closed with scissors.JPG (Filesize: 49.99 KB)
ready for use.JPG
* ready for use.JPG (Filesize: 49.08 KB)
Open to max.JPG
* Open to max.JPG (Filesize: 50.05 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 09:39:35 PM
Looks kind of cool- I may have to check one out.  Does it have the typical "Gerber Rattle" that all the other sliding head pliers have?
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline damota

Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 12:26:38 AM
Afraid so but I guess if it was tight enough not to rattle it would not flip out as easy. The only Gerber not to rattle is the Recoil (because of the springs) but it is restrictive in what it does, knife, scissors and two screw drivers with other tools stamped out of the metal.

Dave

Offline Alpha Niner Niner Smith

Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 01:08:37 AM
I hate gerbers becaus ethey feel like they are too flimsy.The rattle is kind of unnerving when you are working on something, and the plier handles don't open enough to get at the tools easily.This one doesn't look too bad, but most of the ones I have had were too compact for my big hands.Plus I really hate the rattling noise
A99S
O

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 02:01:27 AM
My goodness, what a large tool you have! :D

Seriously, that thing looks ginormous. I imagined the Freehand was designed to compete with the Leatherman Wave and Charge, but it looks to be more on a scale with the Surge.

~Bob
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 02:22:41 AM
That huge plier head kinda makes it look top heavy.... 
Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 02:29:54 AM
Hmmmm.........it looks like there are some itty bitty icons etched on the side of the tool, BuckTool-like, showing which blade is tucked into which slot. I see scissors. I see a knife blade. What's on the other side?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 02:43:33 AM
I think those little icons were the best feature of the BuckTool....  Nice to see someone else picking up the idea and runnign with it.
Def

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 02:57:10 AM
Gerber Freehand Compaired to LM Surge

* Gerber_freehand_pliers_comp_600w.jpg (Filesize: 42.81 KB)
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 03:17:46 AM
It's bigger than the Surge?!

Hmmmm. I tend to compensate a lot for my other.....shortcomings. Guess I'll have to go buy one!

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 03:23:28 AM
Here's another

* Gerber_freehand_width_comp_600w.jpg (Filesize: 43.43 KB)
"

Offline damota

Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 02:30:27 PM
I hate gerbers becaus ethey feel like they are too flimsy.The rattle is kind of unnerving when you are working on something, and the plier handles don't open enough to get at the tools easily.This one doesn't look too bad, but most of the ones I have had were too compact for my big hands.Plus I really hate the rattling noise
A99S

I have used Gerbers since they first came on the UK market and the only one that ever failed in use was the first one I got my son used it on his car and did not have the head locked properly in position and one of the stubs the first type of head had slipped out of position. It is still in use as my youngest son has it for his bike. The heads can not slip out now because they changed the design so the first ones were held by a circlip and now they have a plastic wedge shaped peace that stops the pins slipping out. This one is the size of a dedicated pair of pliers, heavy in the hand but not noticeable when in the pouch. All the tools are on the outside. The only fault I have with it is that because I do not use serrated blades (I have a Benchmark Hook) I would have rather had a file instead.
Dave

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 10:14:14 PM
Like all older designs of multitools, they really do pale in comparison to the new ones, that much is for sure.But then that goes for old Leathermans too.There's a reason they keep coming up with new models!
Yabba dabba doo!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 11:46:42 PM
Hey prime77, between the Surge and the Freehand, which one do you like better?

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 09:55:59 AM
I would have to say that the Surge is the better tool.  While the Freehand has huge strong pliers and good scissors. All the other tools and really short and stubby for a tool its size. The Surge has good scissors even though I don't like the plastic insert that you rest your thumb on to use them. I don't see how that could save much weight on such a heavy tool already. I like the hollow ground flathead and the awl on the Surge. And I know that many people have complained about how short and stubby the LM bit adapter is. But I've never had any problem with it.
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: November 05, 2006, 03:11:21 AM
Okay, I just got a Gerber Freehand today.
Y'know how most handguns are conveniently holstered on your belt? ....but if you have a really really big handgun, you need some kind of a shoulder holster rig to carry it? .......otherwise it pulls your pants down?

This multi tool is so freakin' big and heavy that I need a shoulder rig sheath to carry it!  :P

Offline damota

Reply #18 on: November 05, 2006, 12:01:39 PM
Now tell me your thoughts on the can opener?  ;)
I think it is just to make the numbers up.
EDC Now carry mine with a MP600 or Crunch alongside EDC it except weekends, it's not that bad. You just need a couple of items on the other side, so you keep your balance. ;)

Dave

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: November 05, 2006, 11:34:30 PM
Actually, I have issues with all FOUR of the inner blades, not just the can opener. They are ridiculously short! It seems almost comical to have such short screwdrivers on such a large multi tool. I don't know what the Gerber design engineers were thinking here, but I'm not impressed.

I like everything else, especially the big scissors.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: November 05, 2006, 11:49:22 PM
Maybe they needed the room for that humongolous plier head?

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: November 06, 2006, 12:05:07 AM
That's it exactly.

us Offline carl

Reply #22 on: February 01, 2008, 08:54:53 PM
Also, the longer any tool gets, the easier it is to break.  They could make them longer but they would also have to make them thicker and that means less room for other tools or having to make wider handles to fit everything.

One question, i had an early Gerber where the phillips head stripped/smoothed out real easy by deforming of the 4 flutes.  I called Gerber and told them their stainless was way too soft.  Are Gerbers still like this or was it a fluke problem?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: February 02, 2008, 02:57:53 AM
Also, the longer any tool gets, the easier it is to break.  They could make them longer but they would also have to make them thicker and that means less room for other tools or having to make wider handles to fit everything.

One question, i had an early Gerber where the phillips head stripped/smoothed out real easy by deforming of the 4 flutes.  I called Gerber and told them their stainless was way too soft.  Are Gerbers still like this or was it a fluke problem?

I've had great luck with the older "square" phillips driver like on the 600 series and the 400 series tools.

The new phillips driver is flat, like on the Diesel and the Suspension. Haven't used the flat one enough yet to say. :-\

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 12, 2008, 01:56:14 AM
one came in the mail today
I will have to put it to use. I haven't even opened it yet ;)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: April 12, 2008, 02:29:07 AM
Well pitter patter lets get at 'er Mr Scrappy, get that new tool out and tell us all about it! :)

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 16, 2008, 01:56:17 AM
I actually like it. it is the first gerber I have that actually slides out with a flick of the wrist.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%