Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Let's talk pens!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Re: Let's talk pens!
Reply #60 on: May 13, 2018, 09:45:45 PM
What do you all think of this?

I'm not 100% satisfied with my recent zebra mod, mainly due to the plastic internals. So I was looking at other machined pens. Came across this CRKT/Ruger collaboration which is a licensed copy of the Fellhoelter tibolt in aluminum.

It is a nice weight, seems well made. Best part is its under $30 on eBay. Don't care much for the Ruger branding, though all 3 of my firearms happen to be rugers. Just prefer a plain look.

Just can't decide if it's worth $30 when I get my normal pilot G2 pens for free at work.

Well, even though I still wrestle with my minimal amount of writing is deserving of an almost $30 pen, I decided to make some mods and keep it.

The first mod was to change the stock spring with a slightly longer one from a leftover zebra f-402. The original spring did not extend past the refill tip and the bolt would rattle a bit when the pen was retracted. The longer spring fixed the rattle and also made the action feel much more positive.

Second mod was to slightly rebend the pocket clip so that it didn't grab quite so hard. It was a two hand job to clip it to even the thinnest shirts before. Now I can one hand clip it to jeans. It still feels secure once clipped.

Third mod was to take a sharpie to the Ruger branding. Doesn't look the cleanest up close, but looks fine at arms length to me.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #61 on: May 15, 2018, 05:46:24 PM
Plastic? Bleh.  :twak:

:P :rofl: ;)
Oh I’d love something solid metal and not thin walled, but for now if I lose one of those plastic ones it’s no big deal..
JR

Anybody knows this Pablo O'Brien?!

:pok: :pok:

:think: :think: :think: :think:
Does he live in your area? Pablo sounds like a Portuguese name.   :think:

More like a spanish name...

We don't get along (like most neighbours).
 :rant: :rant:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #62 on: May 15, 2018, 05:46:55 PM
Plastic? Bleh.  :twak:

:rofl: ;)
Oh I’d love something solid metal and not thin walled, but for now if I lose one of those plastic ones it’s no big deal..
JR

Anybody knows this Pablo O'Brien?!

:think: :think: :think: :think:
Does he live in your area? Pablo sounds like a Portuguese name.   :think:
Yes, I know him.

Like mags has said earlier:
A little immature but we miss him.

And he was the one who was called "The Bender".
He is the actual origin of "Pabloing".

He probably left in shame...

Miss Him!

:hatsoff:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #63 on: May 15, 2018, 05:48:15 PM

I'm not 100% satisfied with my recent zebra mod, mainly due to the plastic internals. So I was looking at other machined pens. Came across this CRKT/Ruger collaboration which is a licensed copy of the Fellhoelter tibolt in aluminum.

It is a nice weight, seems well made. Best part is its under $30 on eBay. Don't care much for the Ruger branding, though all 3 of my firearms happen to be rugers. Just prefer a plain look.

Just can't decide if it's worth $30 when I get my normal pilot G2 pens for free at work.

For the kewl factor plus fidgeting capabilities plus pride of ownership, I'd say Yup!

8) 8) :tu: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #64 on: May 15, 2018, 05:48:46 PM
:nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance:  :ahhh :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #65 on: May 19, 2018, 11:33:35 PM

Well, even though I still wrestle with my minimal amount of writing is deserving of an almost $30 pen, I decided to make some mods and keep it.

The first mod was to change the stock spring with a slightly longer one from a leftover zebra f-402. The original spring did not extend past the refill tip and the bolt would rattle a bit when the pen was retracted. The longer spring fixed the rattle and also made the action feel much more positive.

Second mod was to slightly rebend the pocket clip so that it didn't grab quite so hard. It was a two hand job to clip it to even the thinnest shirts before. Now I can one hand clip it to jeans. It still feels secure once clipped.

Third mod was to take a sharpie to the Ruger branding. Doesn't look the cleanest up close, but looks fine at arms length to me.

Well, I noticed that after only a few days of use that the bolt was rubbing through the supposed hard anodizing on the inside edges of the J-channel. The little nub of the J-channel was also starting to wear into the aluminum. This is surprising more so because I'm 99% sure the bolt itself is aluminum and shouldn't be able to wear through HAIII. I contacted the vendor, and they agreed it was defective, now it's on its way back.

I'm back to the drawing board looking for a relatively inexpensive all metal edc pen that doesn't use a cap.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #66 on: May 30, 2018, 03:28:47 PM
How it's done. I liked to see how a fountain pen is made but didn't like the carelessness displayed with the product and the tools...

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #67 on: May 30, 2018, 03:31:02 PM
This one, however...

8) 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: May 30, 2018, 03:56:01 PM
Okay, every now and then I misread the topic titles but this time I'm so not saying how I read this one...   :rofl: :doh:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #69 on: May 30, 2018, 05:14:06 PM
Okay, every now and then I misread the topic titles but this time I'm so not saying how I read this one...   :rofl: :doh:

You just couldn't stay away from the naughty step, could you?!

:twak: :twak:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #70 on: May 30, 2018, 05:14:52 PM
And I got to another full hundred!

8) 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #71 on: June 26, 2018, 02:34:09 AM
My current nice pens.

L-R:
Fisher bullet space pen with fine refill
Zebra f-701 modded with f-402 nock and fisher fine refill
Bigidesign titanium pen with uni-ball 207 refill

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%