Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The SAWs thread -- Swiss Army Woodsaws

Ron Who · 147 · 9054

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #60 on: September 25, 2017, 07:22:33 PM
I've sent it to Vic repair, but it hasn't returned yet.
I'm very interested to hear how this all works out if you're willing to post about it when you get your tool back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: The SAWs thread -- Swiss Army Woodsaws
Reply #61 on: September 25, 2017, 08:24:29 PM

Glad they arrived safe and sound Nick - it's always a gamble firing an envelope from the torpedo tubes on this rustbucket.  :ahhh

:D
What a beauty she became....
(Image removed from quote.)
Super sweet! Is that a 29?  :drool:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #62 on: September 25, 2017, 09:23:02 PM
 :like: Sounds like my boat Mags!! 
Glad they arrived safe and sound Nick - it's always a gamble firing an envelope from the torpedo tubes on this rustbucket.  :ahhh
Barry

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #63 on: September 25, 2017, 09:35:03 PM
:like: Sounds like my boat Mags!! 
You have a boat Baz! Any pics?  :cheers:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #64 on: September 25, 2017, 10:19:46 PM

What a beauty she became....
(Image removed from quote.)
Super sweet! Is that a 29?  :drool:
Yes!
Bought it from a guy who buys airport seized lots in Germany together with an Explorer and Evogrip 18 (yellow) for the retailprice of just the evogrip (which still has factory oil by the way)
The original scales were bleached by sunlight so these scales came at exactly the right time! :2tu:

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #65 on: September 26, 2017, 08:02:08 PM
Priorities sorted.  :) :D :rofl:
DSC08083-alox-day.jpg
* DSC08083-alox-day.jpg (Filesize: 370 KB)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #66 on: September 26, 2017, 08:24:47 PM
Why are they all pointing at that poor 58mm? Has it displeased its master by being sawless?

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #67 on: September 26, 2017, 08:35:31 PM
Why are they all pointing at that poor 58mm? Has it displeased its master by being sawless?

No, you got it all wrong! The MC is at the center of attention because they all want to play with it!  :D

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #68 on: September 26, 2017, 10:03:48 PM
Brothers, I'm sad to announce that sawman will be sawless for an entire month, as he will be joining the Executive Challenge.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 10:18:12 PM by Ronald Schröder »

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #69 on: September 26, 2017, 10:18:19 PM
Brothers, I'm sad to announce that sawman will be sawless for an entire month, as he will be doing the Executive Challenge.
You are a brave SAKnight, sir.  :salute:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #70 on: September 27, 2017, 04:48:31 PM
It's not easy making decent pics of this. But I think you'll get the idea.
The problem with my saw teeth is that they are blunted at the top. The teeth no longer have sharp tips. Do you think this method of sharpening will fix that?

Yes!  :tu:

It might take a while, but sharpening saws is in many ways not that different to sharpening anything else. You are just trying to recreate the same profile deeper in the steel, so the new points are where the old flats are  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #71 on: September 27, 2017, 06:06:43 PM
It's not easy making decent pics of this. But I think you'll get the idea.
The problem with my saw teeth is that they are blunted at the top. The teeth no longer have sharp tips. Do you think this method of sharpening will fix that?

Yes!  :tu:

It might take a while, but sharpening saws is in many ways not that different to sharpening anything else. You are just trying to recreate the same profile deeper in the steel, so the new points are where the old flats are  :cheers:
That makes sense

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #72 on: September 29, 2017, 03:37:11 AM
I've come to a realization and I'm not sure I like it. Well, specifically, I think I don't like the way the Pioneer X makes me feel. Years ago, I EDC'd a Pioneer but put it away because it doesn't have a saw. Then I started longing for a Farmer; planning on carrying that exclusively for awhile. Well, I still haven't picked up a Farmer yet and then Vic turns around and offers the Pioneer X. Saw or scissors? Scissors or saw? Either or...one or the other? Makes me want to jump off a building! (But onto a warm, soft cloud of marshmallows and chocolate syrup of course).
So, I've come to the point where I have to admit that the scissors are more useful in my daily life than a saw. But I feel "unprepared" without a saw.
I'm starting to think the saw has been giving me a false sense of security, perhaps.
Anyone else bashing their head in over the saw?

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #73 on: September 29, 2017, 05:31:59 AM
I've come to a realization and I'm not sure I like it. Well, specifically, I think I don't like the way the Pioneer X makes me feel. Years ago, I EDC'd a Pioneer but put it away because it doesn't have a saw. Then I started longing for a Farmer; planning on carrying that exclusively for awhile. Well, I still haven't picked up a Farmer yet and then Vic turns around and offers the Pioneer X. Saw or scissors? Scissors or saw? Either or...one or the other? Makes me want to jump off a building! (But onto a warm, soft cloud of marshmallows and chocolate syrup of course).
So, I've come to the point where I have to admit that the scissors are more useful in my daily life than a saw. But I feel "unprepared" without a saw.
I'm starting to think the saw has been giving me a false sense of security, perhaps.

I guess what you said there would explain why I got myself a Locksmith.  I can carry a Climber/Compact then when I really need a saw, I’d go 111mm which I guess makes sense coz it’s longer.

Sometimes it’s also being torn between wood saw or metal saw hence the Locksmith.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #74 on: September 29, 2017, 10:13:17 AM

This is why we need a Farmer X.  :ahhh
You hear that Victorinox?  :rant:

By the way, what about a Farmer and Classic combo? Would that work for you?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #75 on: September 29, 2017, 10:23:33 AM

A Farmer X :dd:
With metal saw! :ahhh

Seriously though, just the Farmer X would be awesome.
Been holding back on the PX, while hoping they'll release it.

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #76 on: September 29, 2017, 12:39:08 PM
...the scissors are more useful in my daily life than a saw.

Agree... I like the SAK saw, but don't need it for every day carry. The PX hits the sweet spot for me.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:40:17 PM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #77 on: September 29, 2017, 01:00:40 PM
I honestly like the feel of the bigger girth SAKs when it comes to the saw, probably the Craftsman best of all.
Barry

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: September 29, 2017, 01:05:58 PM

This is a nice combo! O usually pair my farmer with the LM style ps. Not as good scissors but you also get a small plier

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #79 on: September 29, 2017, 05:17:29 PM
A Farmer X :dd:
With metal saw! :ahhh

Like an alox Ranger!  That would be pretty sweet.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #80 on: September 29, 2017, 07:55:29 PM
Hmm...well...yeah, that might work--but--it gets me back into carrying 2 SAKs at once and don't like to do that. Since I carry everything in pockets (I don't often lug a bag around, and I believe in having your kit ON YOU so you won't forget it or lose it), pocket space is prime real estate. I have EDC'd a SAK and a Merkator cat knife (to have a locking blade cutter on me) in the past, but 2 slip joints? Meh...I don't like it.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #81 on: September 29, 2017, 11:11:09 PM
Hmm...well...yeah, that might work--but--it gets me back into carrying 2 SAKs at once and don't like to do that. Since I carry everything in pockets (I don't often lug a bag around, and I believe in having your kit ON YOU so you won't forget it or lose it), pocket space is prime real estate. I have EDC'd a SAK and a Merkator cat knife (to have a locking blade cutter on me) in the past, but 2 slip joints? Meh...I don't like it.

Classic/manager is light enough to be worn around the neck.  :cheers:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #82 on: October 05, 2017, 08:06:39 PM
Size comparison.
DSC04897-saws.jpg
* DSC04897-saws.jpg (Filesize: 482.82 KB)

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #83 on: October 06, 2017, 05:33:18 AM
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: October 06, 2017, 06:30:02 AM
Really loving that Opinel saw. Is it really only 4 ounces (113 grams) in weight?

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #85 on: October 06, 2017, 04:58:19 PM
Really loving that Opinel saw. Is it really only 4 ounces (113 grams) in weight?

My scales indicate 105 grams.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #86 on: October 06, 2017, 07:12:56 PM
Size comparison.

:like: :tu:

Ronald you take awesome side-to-side pics of everything   :like:   :tu:   :like:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #88 on: October 06, 2017, 08:28:09 PM

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #89 on: October 20, 2017, 10:19:06 PM
Well, as I had mentioned earlier in the thread, I had severely dulled my SAK saw blade by accidentally cutting fireplace brick with it. I took a miniature diamond file set and attempted to sharpen it.
Bottom line: WAY TOO time consuming and laborious. I think a busy person is much better off either sending the SAK in for Victorinox to replace the saw or just getting another SAK.

I suppose if you have lots of free time or you enjoying sharpening for a hobby, you might like working on it. Given the condition of my saw, it would take well beyond 30 minutes. I don't have an extra 30 minutes of idle time.
So...sharpening the saw myself isn't going to work out.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD