Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman wave!

Offline Mwimmer

• New User
Leatherman wave!
on: September 24, 2017, 07:38:24 PM
Hey y'all! New to this sight stumbled across it trying to find some answers in reguard to my Leatherman wave. After reading some posts I see that I am not the only one with rusting issues on their Leatherman. However I am baffled with it due to the fact I had previously owned another wave a couple years back and I absolutely loved it I had zero issues with the tools performance and never any issues with rust. I kept it clean after use and oiled regularly. I used it as a EDC for about two and a half years between working in a factory and fresh water fishing it never let me down. I had unfortunately dumped my kayak one afternoon and my Leatherman went swimming and never returned. Saddened by my mistake I purchased another wave and to my surprise after a short month or so I had pitting all over my tool! I took care of it exactly the same way I had the previous model and kept it in the same sheath as the previous one as well. I couldn't believe how badly the rust began and how uncontrollable it became. I also had horrible chipping on the blade as well. I am a machinist and I work with coolants, oils and metals almost every single day. I am a control freak when it comes to my tool and the care of. Can anyone please shed some light on to what is going on with my tool! I am sending it back to leathman within the next couple of days but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or reasoning behind the rust issue? From what I gather from my own personal knowledge ( which I could be wrong )  :facepalm: that the glass bead finish "matte" leaves a more open grain finish compared to a polished finish. Could this be the issue with the un acceptable rust issues? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!  :)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Leatherman wave!
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 07:46:07 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum  :cheers:

There is no doubt that the bead blast finish is more susceptible to rust than the polished tools of the past. However they should not rust and pit as fast as you say yours did. I haven't had any rust on my Rebar and I haven't really done anything special except keep it clean and dry.

Where do you live ? Is it especially rainy or humid ? 

Offline Mwimmer

• New User
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 07:57:09 PM
Hello and thank you!

I was living in New England, where compared to the southern states isn't really humid, nor wet other than winter's. Again having the first wave for over two years with no issues and this one in the same exact climate and such is what's blaffling to me. Do you have any experience with their black matte finish?  I have just recently relocated to the south altho the issues with the 2nd wave began before moving and I pretty much just stuffed the tool into a box and came across it today again and rehatched the issue. I am almost wondering if they had an issue with the metal and the batch in particular wasnt recalled due to still within their acceptible quality range. The chipping of the blade also leads me to believe that may be the case. I'm not saying I'm a blade master over here or anything but pretty sure the blade shouldn't chip when cutting fishing line or rope ect. If I had hit it against another metal object or rock ect I would have known and cringed.  :cry:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 08:01:06 PM
It does sound like maybe a bad batch of metal. I have a bunch of BO tools and it does add an extra layer of protection to rust. I'm sure Leatherman will send you a replacement Wave. They have outstanding warranty service  :tu:

Offline Mwimmer

• New User
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 08:09:11 PM
Please excuse my ignorance but what is BO tools?

And yes I noticed they have a 25 year warranty which is fantastic. I am looking forward to my replacement. I don't have much knowledge in other companies multitools but I literally praised my Leatherman. And have been so disappointed in this one's preformance I hope they can restore my faith. Not that I am bad mouthing the company by any means obviously anything made by man will have it's limitations and will have flaws. Do you happen to have any other recommendations for multitools? I may purchase a couple others to make more permenant homes for them. Backpack , tackleboc ect.

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 08:15:08 PM
Please excuse my ignorance but what is BO tools?

It is Black Oxide coating instead of polished or bead blasted.
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

Offline Mwimmer

• New User
Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 08:21:34 PM
Ah yes excuse me haha. Thanks

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 08:29:34 PM
Mwimmer...

I, too am from New England. I have been through the trifecta of winter storms, here in Boston: the blizzard of '78,the '95 surprise, and a couple years back having highest snow totals ever. As you know, we get cold, wet, and salt air. We also sand and salt the roads in winter.

That all goes without say. What most people don't realize is that the humidity level here gets very high in the summer. People I know from south America sometimes can't stand it. A lot of people dont realize or take that into account.

Having said that, based on your description, there is no way a stainless steel tool should be rusting the way you have said, especially with the care you have given. Must have been a bad batch of steel.

Myself, I much prefer the old-school polished tools. I recently bought a used Blast and a new Rebar, so I suppose time will tell how those bead-blasted surfaces fare, but sending it back is the best thing you can do in my opinion

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 08:31:14 PM
If your looking for rust resistace anything Victorinox is unbeatable :climber:.  Their steal is almost rust proof and easy to maintain :tu:.  The Victorinx Swisstool Spirit is an absolute dream in the Wave size catagory.  If you want to go up in size and carry an almost indestructable MT then the Vic' Swisstool may be an option.  If you realy like the Wave format OHO (one hand open) blades then the Leatherman Surge is probably the best out there.  Just cruze the veriuos posts and join in with any questions and I'm certain you'll find everthing your heart could desire.  Just get your wallet ready.  There are some realy bad :whistle: (GOOD) influances here.  :rofl:  This place is adictive. :facepalm:

WELCOME ABOARD :cheers:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 08:36:11 PM
I also prefer the older Leathermans but I also have a few of the newer ones as well, ST300 and Surge are both great full size MT's. I'm not so much of a Victorinox mutitool fan as they seem to be harder to open up and are so shiny they can be slippery with wet or oily hands. They get plenty of love around here though.

Gerber MP's are worth looking at as well.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 11:57:06 AM
Welcome to :MTO: :cheers: Can we see some pics of the rust. That way we might be able to help you with the problem better :think: I really hope you get the problem solved :salute:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 12:22:26 PM
Like Douglas stated. Want a tool that doesn't rust?
A Victorinox Swisstool or Swisstool Spirit.

Care to guess what I'm carrying instead of my Rebar today?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%