Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Firefly Ferro rod.

Zed · 338 · 22777

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Firefly Ferro rod.
Reply #150 on: October 16, 2017, 06:40:35 PM
Glad they are enjoying them  :D.  With the fat wood they have all they'll need to get fire going.

There saving there fatwood for our next camp trip  ;)

:tu:  Fat wood is good stuff.  Lots of pine trees here so we like to hunt for it.  I also take the hardened sap from the pines as well.  We've made some cool tikis melting it onto the pinecones.  Heres a neat video.

https://youtu.be/Gq7pyVxLP1s

I like fatwood hunting, it's legal in the uk ,I think  :facepalm:  :rofl:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #151 on: October 16, 2017, 06:42:23 PM
 :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #152 on: October 16, 2017, 06:47:12 PM

As long as I chop it down with a axe with a 3inch blade that doesn't lock  ;)  :rofl:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #153 on: October 16, 2017, 06:50:31 PM

As long as I chop it down with a axe with a 3inch blade that doesn't lock  ;)  :rofl:

Thats about what I do.  I use a small hatchet and saw.  We had some devastating fires and there were a lot of trees cut down.  When we go hiking in the mountains we scavenge as much as we can find. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #154 on: October 16, 2017, 07:14:41 PM

Thats about what I do.  I use a small hatchet and saw.  We had some devastating fires and there were a lot of trees cut down.  When we go hiking in the mountains we scavenge as much as we can find.

The camp site we go to has a fire pit and the girls love scavenging wood,I send them off while I do the hard stuff  ;)

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #155 on: October 16, 2017, 08:11:08 PM
In most of the situations a small ferro rod and the skill to use it would have made a huge difference.

But not as much as a mini bic or two? I still think that tiny ferro rod is just asking for trouble and a lighter is better than a ferro rod most of the time.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 08:15:34 PM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #156 on: October 16, 2017, 08:15:55 PM
In most of the situations a small ferro rod and the skill to use it would have made a huge difference.

But not as much as a mini bic or two? I still think that small ferro rod is just asking for trouble and a lighter is better than a ferro rod most of the time.

I´m carrrying a ferro rod AND a mag bar AND two mini Bics. And I know numerous spots where to find KKokolis´ Greek mushroom tinder, fat wood, or birch bark.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #157 on: October 16, 2017, 08:18:17 PM

But not as much as a mini bic or two? I still think that small ferro rod is just asking for trouble and a lighter is better than a ferro rod most of the time.

A lighter is a great primary fire source which I would personally would rather have than a ferro rod.  That being said I think whats being overlooked possibly is "another option".  Sure we can carry several lighters.  3 mini Bics would be really easy to carry but I dont see those as "other options".  I see this little ferro rod as a possible option for some.  We sell need to see someone test it rather than the maker/seller.  I'm pretty proficient with a ferro rod but I'm also using a 6 inch by 1/2 inch one  :rofl:.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #158 on: October 16, 2017, 11:22:50 PM
I've used a ferro rod many, many times, and it's always a 2" rod with no handle. I've never even owned one bigger than that  :shrug:

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #159 on: October 16, 2017, 11:56:11 PM

But not as much as a mini bic or two? I still think that tiny ferro rod is just asking for trouble and a lighter is better than a ferro rod most of the time.

If you check the BICs frequently. Over time, BICs can leak on their own and run out of fuel. The ferro rod will work as expected when needed. Seems best to have both, IMO.

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #160 on: October 16, 2017, 11:57:15 PM
I'm pretty proficient with a ferro rod but I'm also using a 6 inch by 1/2 inch one  :rofl:.   

We need a picture!!!  :D

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #161 on: October 17, 2017, 03:59:47 AM

You are 100% right. I carry a ligher how ever it's not uncommon for me to loan it out and not get it back but not notice till the next day. With my luck one of those days well be the day I really need a fire. That's why I have ferro rod toggles on my SAK lanyard.
20170927_082536.jpg
* 20170927_082536.jpg (Filesize: 193.21 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #162 on: October 17, 2017, 11:07:50 AM
At work one night I had a cigar but had no lighter or matches  :facepalm: but I had my tin with a Ferro rod and vasiline covered cotton wool  :D so as to say I smoked that night  ;)

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #163 on: October 18, 2017, 03:28:18 AM
I'd also point out that if you are somewhere where SAR can't find you within a week, you really screwed up something or pissed off the gods if you only have an SAK and a tin kit. If you can follow a rough compass bearing for three days, you'd be hard pressed south of the 60th parallel to NOT find a road.
You've made a couple of references to having nothing but a SAK and a tin kit. Why would anyone knowingly venture far out with only a tin kit? Even Lofty Wiseman doesn't suggest that. I think that unless you fell off of a cloud into the middle of nowhere and survived, you'd probably be within just a few miles at the most from a road or manmade structure if you're traveling with only a SAK and a tin. The people who would do that wouldn't have the knowledge to survive anyway. Sounds like a very unlikely scenario to me.
I think you're both saying that it would be silly (or you really stuffed up somewhere) if you had only those items with you out in the wilderness.  :think:
You do get the odd person going to extremes to 'test' themselves.
Hey, guys, look at this. Speaking of going to Mars with nothing but a SAK and a tin, how about going out with NOTHING...
http://m.chron.com/news/texas/article/Texas-couple-survives-being-stranded-6-days-in-12276084.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #164 on: October 18, 2017, 04:40:02 AM

Why?

Why do you think a ferro rod is asking for trouble?

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #165 on: October 18, 2017, 06:54:52 AM

Why?

I said 'that tiny ferro rod'. Not 'a ferro rod'. Relying on this little thing is asking for trouble. All you need is for it to snap and you have no solution. I'm a big believer in the philosophy of backups and a backup solution that you would prefer not to have to fall back on is no solution. It's Murphy laughing at you. Learnt that the hard way through life.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #166 on: October 18, 2017, 12:21:09 PM
  Only looked at first and last pages. Novel idea, as a backup. If you notices in the video he doesn't use much force. He's probably wore down a flat-spot before taking the videos. Can say the smaller the ferrocerium rod the more brittle it becomes - specially when you are cold and in a hurry.

Have an Exotac nanoStriker and the ferrocerium rod has broken nearly every time on the threaded section. It's 5mm thick and about 1.5" long. Last camp outing ended up breaking out the magnesium block and using its ferrocerium steel to get some sparks a flyin' and getting me back to warm status.
  That magnesium block's fire steel came unglued and had to empty the glove compartment hunting for the thing.  :ahhh
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #167 on: October 18, 2017, 03:57:34 PM
I can't wait till these firefly ferro rods ship to see exactly how well or not they work.  Anyone know when they'll be getting theirs?
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #168 on: October 18, 2017, 05:48:46 PM
I've signed up but no definite news on release yet, not on the latest update mail from yesterday at any rate. I believe they were initially saying January 2018.

What I'm thinking about to mitigate against the breakage risk is to use a small plank or stick to hold it against with my other thumb while scraping it with the steel.

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #169 on: October 18, 2017, 08:45:31 PM

Why?

I said 'that tiny ferro rod'. Not 'a ferro rod'. Relying on this little thing is asking for trouble. All you need is for it to snap and you have no solution.
Oh OK. I got you. I didn't read that carefully enough, I guess.

I agree. The size of the ferro rod scares me. It may work, but it may not. If you are scared and desperate, your adrenaline might be flowing and you'll be more heavy-handed than usual. If you're feeling chilled, your fine motor skills will be diminished and you may be clumsy and heavy-handed. There are plenty of real world scenarios where you could accidentally break this thin rod. If that happens, you'd better be ready and able to make a bow-drill system. Good luck with that.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #170 on: October 18, 2017, 08:51:55 PM
What I'm thinking about to mitigate against the breakage risk is to use a small plank or stick to hold it against with my other thumb while scraping it with the steel.

I think this should probably be the general philosophy of use for this tool. Prepare your fire pit and your kindling, take a piece of kindling and lay the steel against that and use it similar to the way those magnesium bars with the embedded rods are. As long as the piece you're using isn't some soft, rotten, punk that breaks it should be OK.
I think you have a good idea there.

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #171 on: October 18, 2017, 11:22:40 PM
Hey, guys, look at this. Speaking of going to Mars with nothing but a SAK and a tin, how about going out with NOTHING...
http://m.chron.com/news/texas/article/Texas-couple-survives-being-stranded-6-days-in-12276084.php

Amazing story. They are lucky to survive. Though I think the guy'd be glad to be dead...

"I told Gerry, 'Sweetheart, this doesn't sound right.' And he said, 'No it's OK' ... He wanted to continue. See, us women know better,"
He's never going to hear the end of this. Imagine the couple in a car a few years later :D :

guy: We'll go left here, were nearly there.
woman: No, Gerry, it's right. This doesn't sound right...
guy: No, it's OK.
woman: Do you remember when we nearly died Gerry?
guy: *sigh*

My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #172 on: October 19, 2017, 12:02:20 AM
I've signed up but no definite news on release yet, not on the latest update mail from yesterday at any rate. I believe they were initially saying January 2018.

Exactly.  This is how I envisioned a way to use it so as not to break it. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline TonySal

• join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #173 on: October 22, 2017, 02:32:25 AM
So... Im in too, dont really use a toothpick or really need to start a fire,  but if I'm carrying a Tool, I think it should have a fire rod, we'll see, a clutz like me can test it in the kitchen sink,  level of wife's yell will determine success. LOL
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #174 on: October 22, 2017, 04:29:45 AM
So... Im in too, dont really use a toothpick or really need to start a fire,  but if I'm carrying a Tool, I think it should have a fire rod, we'll see, a clutz like me can test it in the kitchen sink,  level of wife's yell will determine success. LOL
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

us Offline TonySal

Reply #175 on: October 23, 2017, 03:02:40 AM
Hey MM, need a piano pounder?  Lol
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline wonderwolf

Reply #176 on: October 24, 2017, 02:52:24 AM
Very interesting idea, I've thought from time to time how to hide a ferro rod in a SAK....I still have one way that I have in mind that has not been tried yet I still might play with.

The zipper toggles work for now and with the cord that is used to keep them on the SAK its quick to mount them to a stick when your fingers are freezing so you don't have to worry about your fine motor skills when trying to light a fire.

I may get a pack of these to try, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have them on micro survival kits with the SAKS that are in there.
"A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow" - The Edge

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Firefly Ferro rod.
Reply #177 on: October 24, 2017, 01:50:04 PM
Yeah, Wolf, I got a set of these on Amazon. The set I got has VERY small holes. I was able to thread boot laces through them, but I have some Hi-Viz guywire paracord type line that I was going to make lanyards from and that rope was too wide to fit through the holes. I have seen some firesteel toggles on Amazon that are a tad bit larger that might work.
As far as the toggles I got, they work well! I stood up and stroked the steel with the back of a carbon steel blade and it threw a shower of white hot sparks that landed on the concrete and burned for about one and a half seconds before going out. That's plenty of time to ignite good, dry tinder.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 01:54:34 PM by Tired_Yeti »

us Offline TonySal

Reply #178 on: October 25, 2017, 12:59:18 AM
Any word if their project got up and running?
join KNIFE RIGHTS

Offline SAKAddict

• New User
Reply #179 on: October 29, 2017, 11:25:38 PM
Was looking over that kickstarter page. Wtf is up with this gif?
(Image removed from quote.)

Anyone who has ever used a ferro rod will tell you it doesn't ignite material anywhere close to that quickly.

Gratuitous use of accelerants? Fast-forwarded video editing? Filmed with a bluescreen background in the moon-landing studio? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Either way, the video does show "normal" sparking and ignition of the tinder in similar setups.

It's got gas sprinkled on it. No other way the fire would have spread so fast. Dishonest, though in keeping with regular advertisement honesty or lack thereof. :(

EDIT: they've used the same trick on all the tinder types they show. Bad taste in the mouth. Or they have invented the worlds best firesteel.

Hi guys! This is Eric, creator of the Firefly.  Thank you to those here who have supported my project so far!  I was told that some people were having trouble believing that the Firefly is really as good as the video shows.  I've seen several comments like the ones above and I just wanted to chime in and help clear things up for you.

First of all I want to say that I'm flattered that you think I'm using accelerants because it is real un-doctored video footage of the Firefly in action.  I promise you that I did NOT use any accelerant on any of the tinders.  So I will agree with you that we have "invented the worlds best firesteel".  :D  I certainly think so, we spent a lot of time and money tailoring the mix just right, and since it will be with me all the time it is a firesteel I will actually use! :climber: 

Second, I do want to clarify that I did cut to where the spark ignited the tinder in some parts of the videos, not in an attempt to deceive, but to make the video shorter and more exciting.  Though I never had to attempt more than 10 times to get the fire lit on any of the tinders used, most were actually lit the first or second time.  We are an honest company that makes really cool outdoor gear, we have already completed one successful Kickstarter campaign that was much more complex than this one and all rewards were delivered to our customers, many of which are repeat backers.  We have a curated website where you can actually purchase our previous Kickstarter projects product, check it out:  LINK REMOVED

Third, I also want to clarify that I live in California which tends to be drier than other parts of the world and that makes natural tinders easier to light.  Also, in the GIF it appears to ignite very fast.  This is due to the fact that GIFs are compiled of very few frames and many frames had to be cut out to get the GIF down to a smaller reasonable size for the web.  This was not an attempt to deceive either.  That particular strike did actually flame up very fast because I had a lot of fine dry grass tinders on top. 

Fourth, I have made some real time videos of the Firefly in action for you to see for yourself, I'm hoping these links are allowed on here, if not please let me know. 
Realtime Firefly sparking demonstration:    LINK REMOVED
Drop test and sparking vs typical firesteel:   LINK REMOVED
Please help share the Firefly with others if you can, we have more stretch goals we want to meet for some cool additions (to be announced soon).
Thanks again guys, if you have any further questions about it please let me know!  For the quickest reply you can message me on my Kickstarter campaign page:  LINK REMOVED
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 12:51:34 AM by zoidberg »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD