Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Firefly Ferro rod.

Zed · 338 · 23182

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Firefly Ferro rod.
Reply #30 on: September 26, 2017, 02:06:05 PM
I would only use a Ferro rod in a diar emergency once I've drained all fire lighting resources, so hopefully it would be ok in a emergency but not a use all the time lighter  :tu:
I've heard this philosophy quite often from many people. It makes no sense to me. A "dire emergency" implies someone's (probably your own) LIFE is on the line. Literally, life and death. Why do people select questionable pieces of kit that they reserve for the moment their own life hangs in the balance? You don't see your local fire department doing this. Self-rescue gear should be stuff that has been tested in the field under dire conditions by professional warriors or rescue personnel--or in the case of most of the stuff we talk about in this forum, survival instructors. Heckler & Koch firearms aren't used by elite units worldwide because they're cheap. They're used because they are battle tested.
If I could literally freeze to death, I don't want to hope a metal toothpick will work. I want to KNOW that it has worked for others in my situation.
Sorry for the rant, but I think the opposite philosophy should be adopted. Save the questionable gear for fun camping trips when you have a backup against failure. Use something you KNOW will work when you are planning your self-rescue kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:28:48 PM by Tired_Yeti »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Firefly Ferro rod.
Reply #31 on: September 26, 2017, 02:12:17 PM
I would only use a Ferro rod in a diar emergency once I've drained all fire lighting resources, so hopefully it would be ok in a emergency but not a use all the time lighter  :tu:
I've heard this philosophy quite often from many people. It makes no sense to me. A "dire emergency" implies someone's (probably your own) LIFE is on the line. Literally, life and death. Why do people select questionable pieces of kit that they reserve for the moment their own life hangs in the balance? You don't see your local fire department doing this. Self-rescue gear should be stuff that has been tested in the field under dire conditions by professional warriors or rescue personnel. Heckler & Koch firearms aren't used by elite units worldwide because they're cheap. They're used because they are battle tested.
If I could literally freeze to death, I don't want to hope a metal toothpick will work. I want to KNOW that it has worked for others in my situation.
Sorry for the rant, but I think the opposite philosophy should be adopted. Save the questionable gear for fun camping trips when you have a backup against failure. Use something you KNOW will work when you are planning your self-rescue kit.

Ok,look I probably would never use this thin Ferro rod as for emergencys I have much bigger better ones ,but in my fire starting kit I've other options,lighter ,matches,mag glass , and 2 large Ferro rods, for me this little Ferro rod would be my last resort if i had sweet FA else,  yep that's my rant over as well  :D

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #32 on: September 26, 2017, 02:29:17 PM
Gentlemen. I feel this calls for  a combined Zed/Tired_Yeti 'Weekend up a mountain with only your SAK' camping challenge. Do you both accept? There's a special badge in it for the winner (whether or not it is issued posthumously).  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: September 26, 2017, 02:34:01 PM
Gentlemen. I feel this calls for  a combined Zed/Tired_Yeti 'Weekend up a mountain with only your SAK' camping challenge. Do you both accept? There's a special badge in it for the winner (whether or not it is issued posthumously).  :cheers:

Up a mountain alone sounds better  :rofl:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #34 on: September 26, 2017, 02:37:01 PM

But if you have to be up a mountain, a Yeti is the right person to be with  :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: September 26, 2017, 02:41:42 PM

But if you have to be up a mountain, a Yeti is the right person to be with  :tu:

Or not  :D I guess I could get money for photos of the yeti  :D

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #36 on: September 26, 2017, 03:05:12 PM

That's the spirit!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: September 26, 2017, 03:18:55 PM

That's the spirit!

:D I could sell the pics and buy more Ferro rods  :rofl:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: September 26, 2017, 04:32:43 PM
Its a neat little ferro rod.  Cool idea too for a SAK.   :like:
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: September 26, 2017, 05:38:29 PM
Ok, just to continue on Zed and Yeti's posts:

A SAK is a multi function tool.
For some people the addition of a fire starting method, even though a small one, in exchange for a toothpick is a neat idea.

What is the survival essential? A good knife! It's even better when you can add a fire starting method to it.
When you're freezing to death, this little gadget MIGHT save your life. Maybe it won't work when it should, true that. But still, your chances of starting a fire with it will be higher then they will be with your toothpick.
I understand Zed's philosophy in the thought of "last resort" but I also understand Yeti's thought of "In an emergency you need to make sure you've got the best equipment with you"
Then again, Yeti, this thing won't weigh more then the toothpick and gives you another option of starting a fire.
Truth be told, I've stored a strike-anywhere-match under some SAK corkscrews just in case I REALLY need a fire, even though it gives me just 1 shot, it's still better then no shot at all. Simply because there MIGHT be times when you didn't bring your kit. Maybe because it's lost or maybe because you never expected to need it there in the first place.

Ok, the reply might be "you NEED to take a kit anywhere" but not everybody is like that, and that's fine if they choose to.
I try to take some essentials with me everywhere: SAK and/or multi, lighter, flashlight, paracord, FAK etc but there are also times in which I leave it in the car or store some alternatives in pockets, shrinking my posibilities.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: September 26, 2017, 06:01:55 PM
Yeah my thought was to have one on my Huntsman as that's my go to sak for camping and I can make a toothpick but I can't make a Ferro rod  ;)

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #42 on: September 26, 2017, 06:21:02 PM
Was looking over that kickstarter page. Wtf is up with this gif?

Anyone who has ever used a ferro rod will tell you it doesn't ignite material anywhere close to that quickly.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: September 26, 2017, 06:27:02 PM
I wish I could believe that the mini ones, the ones designed for a 58mm, will a) provide enough purchase for striking on b) won't snap almost immediately. The video presentation is also rather over cutesy and doesn't give me much confidence.

That said, I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't tempted. If only for giggles.  :D If anyone is interested in doing a bulk order to the UK I'll take a pack of the mini's. I'll be there in Feb/Mar. Just tell me who to pay and how much. :)
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: September 26, 2017, 06:31:35 PM
They have a 'pyro' and 'allspark' pack which might be cool for a bulk order. Works out at about $10 for three. Plus postage, might squeeze in at the US price for Brits after postage and assuming customs don't take their pound of flesh.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

00 Offline FeebleOldMan

Reply #45 on: September 26, 2017, 06:38:09 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Anyone who has ever used a ferro rod will tell you it doesn't ignite material anywhere close to that quickly.

Gratuitous use of accelerants? Fast-forwarded video editing? Filmed with a bluescreen background in the moon-landing studio? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Either way, the video does show "normal" sparking and ignition of the tinder in similar setups.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: September 26, 2017, 07:03:46 PM

Gratuitous use of accelerants? Fast-forwarded video editing? Filmed with a bluescreen background in the moon-landing studio? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Either way, the video does show "normal" sparking and ignition of the tinder in similar setups.

It's got gas sprinkled on it. No other way the fire would have spread so fast. Dishonest, though in keeping with regular advertisement honesty or lack thereof. :(

EDIT: they've used the same trick on all the tinder types they show. Bad taste in the mouth. Or they have invented the worlds best firesteel.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 07:09:39 PM by pomsbz »

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: September 26, 2017, 07:38:01 PM
I've heard this philosophy quite often from many people. It makes no sense to me. A "dire emergency" implies someone's (probably your own) LIFE is on the line. Literally, life and death. Why do people select questionable pieces of kit that they reserve for the moment their own life hangs in the balance? You don't see your local fire department doing this. Self-rescue gear should be stuff that has been tested in the field under dire conditions by professional warriors or rescue personnel--or in the case of most of the stuff we talk about in this forum, survival instructors. Heckler & Koch firearms aren't used by elite units worldwide because they're cheap. They're used because they are battle tested.

Having a background in mountain and desert S&R, couldn't agree more!  :2tu:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #48 on: September 26, 2017, 09:55:47 PM

It's got gas sprinkled on it. No other way the fire would have spread so fast. Dishonest, though in keeping with regular advertisement honesty or lack thereof. :(

EDIT: they've used the same trick on all the tinder types they show. Bad taste in the mouth. Or they have invented the worlds best firesteel.

Yeah, I just watched their video and the claim to have a special blend of "rare earth metals" that is both stronger than traditional ferrocerium rods, and also softer so it won't damage your knife blade. Isn't that a tad contradictory? :think:

I am still tempted to back it, because I want to test it. But I also want to wait for them to ship and for someone to test these out and post a video on youtube.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #49 on: September 27, 2017, 01:20:41 AM
...(whether or not it is issued posthumously).  :cheers:
ROFL!!!!

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #50 on: September 27, 2017, 02:10:09 AM

Unless it's computer graphics, it looks like the tinder has been doused with with a highly flammable accelerant. Maybe Coleman fuel or gasoline? As a teenager, I've lit trash fires in our burn barrel with gasoline and they flashed like that--although a bit bigger and scarier. LOL!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #51 on: September 27, 2017, 02:27:23 AM
It's very thin and it probably wouldn't take much to snap it in half. I question the durability of a fire steel the size of a SAK toothpick.
That's a good point, this super thin ferro rod would break very easily. I will be holding on to my money until I can see some real reviewers get their hands on these and put them to the test.

I'm with these guys. :cheers:

I'm not currently doing anything in my life that necessitates me carrying a firesteel of any kind, but if I was, I would want something more substantial than this. Better than nothing? OK, fair enough, but there comes a point where something becomes too compromised. This is like carrying one plaster/bandaid as a First Aid Kit. That;s still better than nothing, but I am sure most people here would decide that if they wanted a FAK, they would want more than that one item. If I decided I wanted to have a firesteel on me, I would want more than this  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: September 27, 2017, 02:44:13 AM
If think the problem these days is some folk are using a Ferro rod all the time even though it's a emergency item to use once you have no more means of starting a fire, this thin Ferro rod possibly will be crap but if it's all you had then even crap might start a fire,who knows as we havnt tried it,like I said I've bigger better Ferro rods in my kit to use once my lighter and matches are gone, I would rather have this tiny rod as back up instead of the toothpick as in the wilds it's easy to make a toothpick but not a Ferro rod, but hey we are just going around in circles  :rofl: it's a shame he couldn't send out a few test models  :D

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: September 27, 2017, 02:58:09 AM
I bought this old Browning knife some time ago just because it had a built in ferro rod.  Kind of a Huntsman with a ferro rod instead of a corkscrew.  Same diameter as the Exotac Nanostriker (3/16" I believe), so replacement rods are available.  It's a press fit so that it can be removed and used.  The knife was made in Germany.   :cheers:
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 262.52 KB)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: September 27, 2017, 03:09:59 AM
I bought this old Browning knife some time ago just because it had a built in ferro rod.  Kind of a Huntsman with a ferro rod instead of a corkscrew.  Same diameter as the Exotac Nanostriker (3/16" I believe), so replacement rods are available.  It's a press fit so that it can be removed and used.  The knife was made in Germany.   :cheers:

:tu:  that's cool and a better diameter rod  :D always better I've been told  :rofl:

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: September 27, 2017, 03:12:57 AM

:tu:  that's cool and a better diameter rod  :D always better I've been told  :rofl:

It's a bit short though....... :rofl:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: September 27, 2017, 03:30:41 AM

It's a bit short though....... :rofl:

That's what she said  :rofl:

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: September 27, 2017, 03:49:42 AM
PfrZed....😜

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #58 on: September 27, 2017, 10:05:39 AM
This is a very cool little ferro rod!
I've been thinking about making one myself, but at $14,- for three I might reconsider and order a set.
I like the fluorecent head and glow in the dark is always a plus.

Imagine this on stayglow scales...  :drool:

My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

wales Offline caninesapien

Reply #59 on: September 27, 2017, 10:51:53 AM
Just registering interest for any potential UK group buy!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%