Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Firefly Ferro rod.

Zed · 338 · 22779

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: Firefly Ferro rod.
Reply #60 on: September 27, 2017, 11:50:33 AM
I'd like to hold back, see it reviewed, and make up my mind, but it's a kickstarter thing. Will we be able to buy it later, or is this it?  :think:

Still, I'm in for an Australian group buy.  :tu:

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: September 27, 2017, 02:22:01 PM
UK Group buy is still on? I'll be in London and Swindon end of October.

Worst case scenario I can ask someone for reposting it (at least from UK it skips customs - for now).
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #62 on: September 27, 2017, 02:41:58 PM
PfrZed....😜

:rofl:

--

a local Philippine dealer ordered 64 of these. I'll be getting some when they arrive and try to post a review here  :tu:

ca Offline Lardlad

Reply #63 on: September 27, 2017, 03:57:16 PM
I signed up for the kickstarter.  Seems like an excellent back-up option to have available in my SAK.  I will have enough to thoroughly test the product and give some away to people I've already given SAKs to...

Interesting claims about the material they're using.  I have a bunch of very slim firesteels I obtained from firesteel.com that are approximately the same thickness as the Firefly and those work nicely; if they do have an improved material then so much the better.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #64 on: September 27, 2017, 04:22:33 PM
I bought this old Browning knife some time ago just because it had a built in ferro rod.  Kind of a Huntsman with a ferro rod instead of a corkscrew.  Same diameter as the Exotac Nanostriker (3/16" I believe), so replacement rods are available.  It's a press fit so that it can be removed and used.  The knife was made in Germany.   :cheers:
I like that idea. I'd like to see Victorinox replace the corkscrew on some models with this.

I'd love to see a mod for this. I've never modified a SAK myself so I think it'll be a long wait if the world waits for *me* to come up with one. That said, this has really sparked my interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #65 on: September 27, 2017, 04:34:59 PM
I bought this old Browning knife some time ago just because it had a built in ferro rod.  Kind of a Huntsman with a ferro rod instead of a corkscrew.  Same diameter as the Exotac Nanostriker (3/16" I believe), so replacement rods are available.  It's a press fit so that it can be removed and used.  The knife was made in Germany.   :cheers:
I like that idea. I'd like to see Victorinox replace the corkscrew on some models with this.

I'd love to see a mod for this. I've never modified a SAK myself so I think it'll be a long wait if the world waits for *me* to come up with one. That said, this has really sparked my interest.

It's been done before by someone on here I think.  :think: :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #66 on: September 27, 2017, 04:37:48 PM

Found it! Spork60's "Hotspark Tinker". I think that this is V1, and he got up to V2 or V3?
http://www.swissarmyknights.com/articles/2005/111-hotspark-tinker

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: September 27, 2017, 05:08:49 PM

Found it! Spork60's "Hotspark Tinker". I think that this is V1, and he got up to V2 or V3?

This idea is cool  :tu:
hotspark_tinker01.jpg
* hotspark_tinker01.jpg (Filesize: 70.2 KB)
hotspark_tinker.jpg
* hotspark_tinker.jpg (Filesize: 89.51 KB)

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: September 27, 2017, 05:47:30 PM
Fire is the most important survival skill you could have. The more options and skill you have the better your chances. I already have ferrous rod toggles on my SAK's for emergency's and I do practice with them. They are the worst and most awkward fire steels I've ever used. But they work and I never notice them on my SAK so they're not in the way. 
I well definitely be trying some of these out. Imagine a Rambler that starts fires. It would have great potential for mini PSK.

20170927_082536.jpg
* 20170927_082536.jpg (Filesize: 193.21 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #69 on: September 27, 2017, 06:40:06 PM
I backed the Kickstarter project. It looks like it is only 30% funded at this point, so it's not clear that it will actually come to fruition. If everybody waits to see how it turns out first......

Cool idea though. I'd love to have one of these for my Hiker and Huntsman -- my most commonly used SAKs for hiking/camping/fishing.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: September 27, 2017, 07:12:20 PM
Fire is the most important survival skill you could have.

Depends where you live and the time of the year actually. The obsession with constantly needing fire does seem strange to those of us living in hot desert climates. :D
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #71 on: September 27, 2017, 07:29:20 PM

Depends where you live and the time of the year actually. The obsession with constantly needing fire does seem strange to those of us living in hot desert climates. :D

Agreed.  :tu:

Even here in the UK, you have areas which get tinder dry in summer, or peaty ground underfoot so the fires spreading are a potential hazard. Also, much of the UK is open moorland, where there simply aren't the fuels to build a fire with. This is without taking into account that even if it isn't raining now, it probably was not too long ago, and everything is too bloody wet to be of any use.

I'm a big believer that you should plan your kit based on suddenly regaining consciousness in the middle of nowhere at dusk or later, already tired, cold, dehydrated and disoriented, and then realising that you've lost the use of an arm or leg due to injury. NOW you're in a proper "how the smurf do I get out of this?" scenario. Don't rely on fire being a tool at your disposal, it may not be safe or practical. Aim to survive until help comes with what is in your pack WITHOUT having the luxury of fire, then should fire be safe and practical, it is a bonus. Far too much emphasis is placed on fire in my opinion.

YMMV subject to location and prevailing conditions.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline pistonsandgears

Reply #72 on: September 27, 2017, 07:33:52 PM
I would take that to mean that the material is less brittle than the standard blend, which would also make sense that it would be a bit softer.

Yeah, I just watched their video and the claim to have a special blend of "rare earth metals" that is both stronger than traditional ferrocerium rods, and also softer so it won't damage your knife blade. Isn't that a tad contradictory? :think:

I am still tempted to back it, because I want to test it. But I also want to wait for them to ship and for someone to test these out and post a video on youtube.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 07:36:17 PM by pistonsandgears »

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: September 27, 2017, 07:37:09 PM

Fire = signaling,  water purifying,  light just for starters. I live in the desert of SE Washington. And yes most of the year you would be just fine W/O fire over night till about this time of year. Personally in July/August when only cools off to high 80's low 90's at night I still want a fire if for nothing but the sicological
 comfort it gives

Just my view of the world.

My back yard.
20170927_103336.jpg
* 20170927_103336.jpg (Filesize: 144.49 KB)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 07:42:32 PM by gene stoner »
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

Reply #74 on: September 27, 2017, 07:46:08 PM
It's got gas sprinkled on it. No other way the fire would have spread so fast. Dishonest, though in keeping with regular advertisement honesty or lack thereof. :(

EDIT: they've used the same trick on all the tinder types they show. Bad taste in the mouth. Or they have invented the worlds best firesteel.

I asked, no accelerant was used in the video demonstration of tinder lighting, just "very dry good quality tinder".
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 07:51:06 PM by pistonsandgears »

Reply #75 on: September 27, 2017, 07:49:43 PM
Seems more useful than the toothpick or tweezers to me.  I might put one on both sides.  I put myself down for a larger pack so i'll have enough to go in all my knives and extra when they wear out.  Now if I could just figure out how to get one on the alox :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 07:59:52 PM by pistonsandgears »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #76 on: September 27, 2017, 07:54:47 PM
The military put me though a few survival courses. Each one emphasized fire-making as a skill.

One of the courses was up on a mountain in sub-zero weather with brutal wind chill and feet of snow. Fire was no luxury. No fire, meant no potable water. Sure, I can tell you, when it's -40ºF a hot fire feels pretty darn good. And try to brew a decent cup of tea without some sort of fire or variant thereof. I've been to the desert; fire is good there too.

Is fire always necessary? No, not really. Certainly if one is trying to stay concealed, fire is likely to be a liability. But my experience has taught me never to go anywhere without the ability to make fire. We don't always get to pick our survival situations and moments.

Homo erectus was only able to evolve into Homo sapiens because of fire. We are literally the children of the fire.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #77 on: September 27, 2017, 08:22:44 PM
The military put me though a few survival courses. Each one emphasized fire-making as a skill.

One of the courses was up on a mountain in sub-zero weather with brutal wind chill and feet of snow. Fire was no luxury. No fire, meant no potable water. Sure, I can tell you, when it's -40ºF a hot fire feels pretty darn good. And try to brew a decent cup of tea without some sort of fire or variant thereof. I've been to the desert; fire is good there too.

Is fire always necessary? No, not really. Certainly if one is trying to stay concealed, fire is likely to be a liability. But my experience has taught me never to go anywhere without the ability to make fire. We don't always get to pick our survival situations and moments.

Homo erectus was only able to evolve into Homo sapiens because of fire. We are literally the children of the fire.

:salute:  respect mate  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #78 on: September 27, 2017, 08:43:14 PM
I fully agree that fire can be a game changer, and can improve your status and management options immensely. Heat, light, cooking, purification, signalling, solace - I get it, I really do. However, I still say that if you need fire, your kit has already failed you, because if you can't make it due to injury or immediate environment, you're screwed. That's why I think people should plan to not need it so far as is reasonably practicable. Reliance on something that you don't already have in your kit, and cannot 100% guarantee to be able to source, make and use, irrespective of heath, or environment is not sound planning in my own humble opinion. I always carry some form of fire starting kit. I have never had to use it, because my kit has always dealt with everything life has thrown at me .... so far ....

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #79 on: September 27, 2017, 10:56:55 PM

You are a hero to mankind!

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Firefly Ferro rod.
Reply #80 on: September 27, 2017, 11:10:12 PM
I asked, no accelerant was used in the video demonstration of tinder lighting, just "very dry good quality tinder".
Nope. Dry tinder doesn't flash, sorry. Solids do not burn and liquids do not burn. Only gases burn. Combustion of a solid happens when that material is heated enough to begin releasing combustible gases. They want me to believe that a single spark from a toothpick sized source heated a wad of wood shavings to the point of flashover? Sounds great! But I happen to have a college degree in this stuff and I know that it's just not true. There were fumes of an accelerant involved.

Unless by "good quality tinder" they mean they are using something other than dry wood.

I've used this steel and the Classic SD nail file to light a Vaseline saturated cotton ball.

It immediately ignited on the first spark, but it didn't flash.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 11:19:09 PM by Tired_Yeti »

Reply #81 on: September 28, 2017, 12:11:41 AM
Quote from: Tired_Yeti Nope. Dry tinder doesn't [b
flash[/b], sorry. Solids do not burn and liquids do not burn. Only gases burn. Combustion of a solid happens when that material is heated enough to begin releasing combustible gases. They want me to believe that a single spark from a toothpick sized source heated a wad of wood shavings to the point of flashover? Sounds great! But I happen to have a college degree in this stuff and I know that it's just not true. There were fumes of an accelerant involved.

Unless by "good quality tinder" they mean they are using something other than dry wood.

I've used this steel and the Classic SD nail file to light a Vaseline saturated cotton ball.
(Image removed from quote.)
It immediately ignited on the first spark, but it didn't flash.

Are you referring to the video or the GIF?  The GIF is obviously just a few frames and does not show the full sequence.  The video does show ignition of several different types of tinder.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #82 on: September 28, 2017, 12:13:40 AM
That's why I think people should plan to not need [FIRE] so far as is reasonably practicable. Reliance on something that you don't already have in your kit, and cannot 100% guarantee to be able to source, make and use, irrespective of heath, or environment is not sound planning in my own humble opinion. I always carry some form of fire starting kit. I have never had to use it, because my kit has always dealt with everything life has thrown at me .... so far ....

I basically agree with you, Trad. Be prepared.

I do want to ask you, though, if you go camping or out for a picnic, do you take a stove of some kind with you? I like camping and picnicking and will take a stove along (white gas, alcohol, isobutane). So, I often don't need a fire. Nevertheless, I often end up making a fire to keep my better half warm and entertained. And S'mores just aren't the same when cooked over an isobutane stove.  :D

If you have a stove with you, I'm going to argue that you are essentially using fire (I've used a ferro rod to light a stove, too!). Yes, you are better prepared and don't need to forage for fuel, but you're still using fire. Or else your tea is going to suck.  :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #83 on: September 28, 2017, 12:31:52 AM
That's why I think people should plan to not need [FIRE] so far as is reasonably practicable. Reliance on something that you don't already have in your kit, and cannot 100% guarantee to be able to source, make and use, irrespective of heath, or environment is not sound planning in my own humble opinion. I always carry some form of fire starting kit. I have never had to use it, because my kit has always dealt with everything life has thrown at me .... so far ....

I basically agree with you, Trad. Be prepared.

I do want to ask you, though, if you go camping or out for a picnic, do you take a stove of some kind with you? I like camping and picnicking and will take a stove along (white gas, alcohol, isobutane). So, I often don't need a fire. Nevertheless, I often end up making a fire to keep my better half warm and entertained. And S'mores just aren't the same when cooked over an isobutane stove.  :D

If you have a stove with you, I'm going to argue that you are essentially using fire (I've used a ferro rod to light a stove, too!). Yes, you are better prepared and don't need to forage for fuel, but you're still using fire. Or else your tea is going to suck.  :cheers:

Absolutely!  :tu: However, for me it still comes down to having it in your pack, not having to go "foraging" for it. Day hike, it's probably a Jetboil, but I might have a back up hexamine type stove (I know that stuff is vile, but it's another fire in the pack in case the Jetboil dies) if a hot drink is important. The nearest I would come to having to forage for fire stuff would be a Wild Woodgas Stove .... but again, I'll have some form of back up stove. If I'm liable to need it, I take it with me, not hope it just happens to be there when I need it. It comes back to the waking up disoriented and injured thing, when you really NEED it, you don't have the time or strength to improvise, so make damn sure you already have it

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #84 on: September 28, 2017, 02:20:23 AM
...The video does show ignition of several different types of tinder.
I don't doubt that it will work. As I had mentioned, I successfully used a small fire steel with a small SAK on several occasions.
My issue was that most of us know what it looks like to use a fire steel and it's not necessary to take artistic liberties to "hype" it. My concern from the beginning is simply about the longevity of the rod.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #85 on: September 28, 2017, 04:44:15 AM
Fire is the most important survival skill you could have...
You may be right. I suppose some might argue with you that the ability to find and purify water might be the most important survival skill. Because of the benefits of heat and signaling, fire certainly ranks up top.
The saying goes, "You can survive 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food"...any longer and life begins to suck really hard. So if you've got about 3 hours or less (in theory) to protect yourself and keep yourself warm and dry, fire starting skills are a priority for certain.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #86 on: September 28, 2017, 07:34:58 AM

Fire and tools, right?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #87 on: September 28, 2017, 12:00:49 PM

Fire and tools, right?

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
I love those scales.  :D

All hail the hook!

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #88 on: September 28, 2017, 12:02:51 PM

Fire and tools, right?

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
I love those scales.  :D
So do I; I wish they're mine

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #89 on: September 28, 2017, 04:03:15 PM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86