Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Firefly Ferro rod.

Zed · 338 · 23400

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Firefly Ferro rod.
Reply #90 on: September 28, 2017, 06:43:13 PM
Those scales rock!

(Pardon the pun.  :-[)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #91 on: September 28, 2017, 06:47:36 PM
Those scales rock!

Groan  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #92 on: September 28, 2017, 06:53:26 PM
Those scales rock!

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #93 on: September 28, 2017, 07:58:21 PM
Having a ferro rod is not a bad idea in itself, but giving up any of my existing scale tools to make room for it? Ain't gonna happen.  :salute:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 08:03:09 PM by twiliter »

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Firefly Ferro rod.
Reply #94 on: September 28, 2017, 08:40:48 PM
Ok, just to continue on Zed and Yeti's posts:

A SAK is a multi function tool.
For some people the addition of a fire starting method, even though a small one, in exchange for a toothpick is a neat idea.

What is the survival essential? A good knife! It's even better when you can add a fire starting method to it.
When you're freezing to death, this little gadget MIGHT save your life. Maybe it won't work when it should, true that. But still, your chances of starting a fire with it will be higher then they will be with your toothpick.
I understand Zed's philosophy in the thought of "last resort" but I also understand Yeti's thought of "In an emergency you need to make sure you've got the best equipment with you"
Then again, Yeti, this thing won't weigh more then the toothpick and gives you another option of starting a fire.
Truth be told, I've stored a strike-anywhere-match under some SAK corkscrews just in case I REALLY need a fire, even though it gives me just 1 shot, it's still better then no shot at all. Simply because there MIGHT be times when you didn't bring your kit. Maybe because it's lost or maybe because you never expected to need it there in the first place.

Ok, the reply might be "you NEED to take a kit anywhere" but not everybody is like that, and that's fine if they choose to.
I try to take some essentials with me everywhere: SAK and/or multi, lighter, flashlight, paracord, FAK etc but there are also times in which I leave it in the car or store some alternatives in pockets, shrinking my posibilities.
You know I wasn't attacking Zed. As I said, I've heard many people from Amazon reviews to various websites to people I've met all speaking about getting a piece of gear for survival that they wouldn't trust during a routine day. Unless the intent of the piece, such as a matchstick, is for it to be used only once; I think we should look for gear they we'd expect to be up to the rigors of daily use. That's really all I was saying. If I don't think it could handle normal use, it would scare me to rely on it (whatever "it" is) in an emergency.
For the record, I never said that I wasn't going to buy one of those if/when they become available. I may wait for the canaries to come out of the coal mine first, though. Then again, I may buy one and use it once a day or for a couple of weeks to see how it holds up.

The downside to carrying this would that after I kill and eat a bear with my SAK, I won't be able to clean my teeth...without throwing sparks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 08:44:37 PM by Tired_Yeti »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #95 on: September 28, 2017, 09:36:44 PM
Ok, just to continue on Zed and Yeti's posts:

A SAK is a multi function tool.
For some people the addition of a fire starting method, even though a small one, in exchange for a toothpick is a neat idea.

What is the survival essential? A good knife! It's even better when you can add a fire starting method to it.
When you're freezing to death, this little gadget MIGHT save your life. Maybe it won't work when it should, true that. But still, your chances of starting a fire with it will be higher then they will be with your toothpick.
I understand Zed's philosophy in the thought of "last resort" but I also understand Yeti's thought of "In an emergency you need to make sure you've got the best equipment with you"
Then again, Yeti, this thing won't weigh more then the toothpick and gives you another option of starting a fire.
Truth be told, I've stored a strike-anywhere-match under some SAK corkscrews just in case I REALLY need a fire, even though it gives me just 1 shot, it's still better then no shot at all. Simply because there MIGHT be times when you didn't bring your kit. Maybe because it's lost or maybe because you never expected to need it there in the first place.

Ok, the reply might be "you NEED to take a kit anywhere" but not everybody is like that, and that's fine if they choose to.
I try to take some essentials with me everywhere: SAK and/or multi, lighter, flashlight, paracord, FAK etc but there are also times in which I leave it in the car or store some alternatives in pockets, shrinking my posibilities.
You know I wasn't attacking Zed. As I said, I've heard many people from Amazon reviews to various websites to people I've met all speaking about getting a piece of gear for survival that they wouldn't trust during a routine day. Unless the intent of the piece, such as a matchstick, is for it to be used only once; I think we should look for gear they we'd expect to be up to the rigors of daily use. That's really all I was saying. If I don't think it could handle normal use, it would scare me to rely on it (whatever "it" is) in an emergency.
For the record, I never said that I wasn't going to buy one of those if/when they become available. I may wait for the canaries to come out of the coal mine first, though. Then again, I may buy one and use it once a day or for a couple of weeks to see how it holds up.

The downside to carrying this would that after I kill and eat a bear with my SAK, I won't be able to clean my teeth...without throwing sparks!

:salute:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #96 on: September 29, 2017, 05:58:11 PM
I'm in for the lowest tier. Three of the large ones for $17 shipped. I'm somewhat comforted by the fact that this person/group has a previous successful project with mostly satisfied backers. That said, I have a hunch January 2018 is rather optimistic for reward deliveries if production is starting in December. Assuming all goes well and I get mine, I will test one of the three to destruction. I've used very small ferro rods before, and they do work. This will be the thinnest though, so we shall see.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #97 on: September 29, 2017, 06:08:02 PM
I have a ferro rod thats not quite as thin as the fire fly,  I'll have to dig it out to my bin of stuff.  I like the idea of this ferro rod a lot.  I think carrying a pill fob with something like tinderquick would be a nice addition.  A pill fob is small enough to not be cumbersome to add to ones daily carry.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #98 on: September 29, 2017, 06:27:24 PM
I have a ferro rod thats not quite as thin as the fire fly,  I'll have to dig it out to my bin of stuff.  I like the idea of this ferro rod a lot.  I think carrying a pill fob with something like tinderquick would be a nice addition.  A pill fob is small enough to not be cumbersome to add to ones daily carry.

Very good idea. For a budget alternative you could even pack some cotton soaked in petroleum jelly.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #99 on: September 29, 2017, 07:45:04 PM
I'm a big believer that you should plan your kit based on suddenly regaining consciousness in the middle of nowhere at dusk or later, already tired, cold, dehydrated and disoriented, and then realising that you've lost the use of an arm or leg due to injury.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #100 on: September 29, 2017, 07:54:24 PM
Here is my ferro rod.  Not as small as the firefly ( 58mm in pic ).  I like the nano striker myself.  I got a knock off and yes its fiddly but nicely made.  I keep tinder quick within.   My go to is always a lighter when out hiking but I do carry a Ferro rod. 

* IMG_3661.JPG (Filesize: 13.47 KB)

* IMG_3663.jpg (Filesize: 1.64 KB)

* IMG_3664.JPG (Filesize: 14.11 KB)

* IMG_3665.JPG (Filesize: 14.06 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #101 on: September 29, 2017, 09:11:18 PM
I'm a big believer that you should plan your kit based on suddenly regaining consciousness in the middle of nowhere at dusk or later, already tired, cold, dehydrated and disoriented, and then realising that you've lost the use of an arm or leg due to injury.
(Image removed from quote.)

I think that might be a big too heavy for me to lug about, and the functionality seems rather limited  :whistle:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: October 03, 2017, 05:35:13 PM

I think that might be a big too heavy for me to lug about, and the functionality seems rather limited  :whistle:

I have to admit to thinking along the lines of 'just how many mini bic's could I carry for the same size/bulk/weight' when looking at these kinds of solutions where you need to carry a rod, tinder and striker.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #103 on: October 03, 2017, 05:59:51 PM
Why replace the toothpick? I use that one quite often.
How about replacing the pen on plus-scales? Is there a mod, too?
Guess I have to do it myself.
Good idea though.

I probably use the toothpick more than the tweezers  :D I wonder if he will do one to fit in the pen slot ? I guess due to not many having plus scales he had gone with the toothpick option  :tu:

I think the idea behind this is that it's easier to improvise a toothpick than it is to improvise tweezers or a pen.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #104 on: October 05, 2017, 12:06:05 AM
Why replace the toothpick? I use that one quite often.
How about replacing the pen on plus-scales? Is there a mod, too?
Guess I have to do it myself.
Good idea though.

I probably use the toothpick more than the tweezers  :D I wonder if he will do one to fit in the pen slot ? I guess due to not many having plus scales he had gone with the toothpick option  :tu:

I think the idea behind this is that it's easier to improvise a toothpick than it is to improvise tweezers or a pen.

Guys come on. If you are in the woods and cannot go without a toothpick or make one then...........
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #105 on: October 05, 2017, 12:08:22 AM

I have to admit to thinking along the lines of 'just how many mini bic's could I carry for the same size/bulk/weight' when looking at these kinds of solutions where you need to carry a rod, tinder and striker.

Mini bic is great.  Tinder can be sourced from lint on out clothing or a small swatch of our clothing.  With so many mind sets on "what if" I find there is no right or wrong.  Whatever suits you and you can effect fire if need be then great. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #106 on: October 05, 2017, 12:16:50 AM
One mans thoughts.  Also read the comment from Far North Bushcraft and Survial.  This guy is from Alaska and has IMO a great channel.
Video on the lighter starts at 5:30ish   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #107 on: October 05, 2017, 12:40:05 AM
Another mans thoughts.  Like I said, do what you are comfortable with.  Practice that skill like 50ft said, in the worst case scenario.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 12:41:32 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #108 on: October 05, 2017, 03:22:25 AM
...thinking along the lines of 'just how many mini bic's could I carry for the same size/bulk/weight' when looking at these kinds of solutions where you need to carry a rod, tinder and striker.
You shouldn't need to take tinder with you, IMO. That's what the SAK is for. Just process material you find in the wild.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #109 on: October 05, 2017, 04:02:27 AM
Mini bic is great.  Tinder can be sourced from lint on out clothing or a small swatch of our clothing...
Be careful with that plan. Many of our modern clothing has been treated to be fire resistant. I harvested dryer lint to use as tinder. I put a match to it to test it, nothing. Put a butane lighter to it, nothing. A few wisps of smoke, but it never ignited. Apparently, many of my clothes are fire resistant to comply with California title 19 (I *think* that's the right code). I'd suggest intentionally wearing non-flame resistant clothing when going out in the bush if you plan to use your threads for tinder. Sounds crazy to intentionally wear combustible clothing, but that's what you'll need if you want to use your pocket lint or lose threads as tinder.

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #110 on: October 05, 2017, 04:12:25 AM
One mans thoughts.  Also read the comment from Far North Bushcraft and Survial.  This guy is from Alaska and has IMO a great channel.
Video on the lighter starts at 5:30ish   

Maybe I'm a little biased because I lived in Alaska for 32 years (grew up there. I guess you could call me an Alaskan), but generally I listen when Alaskan outdoorsmen talk about bushcraft. Less than 1/10 of 1% of the land mass of Alaska is inhabited by man. It's very rural and very wild up there and the climate is rough. So Alaskan bushmen tend to know what they're talking about.  Excluding myself. I'm sure I know much less than many of them. In any case, thanks for sharing the video.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #111 on: October 05, 2017, 05:32:21 AM
Interesting,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #112 on: October 05, 2017, 06:18:36 AM
Mini bic is great.  Tinder can be sourced from lint on out clothing or a small swatch of our clothing...
Be careful with that plan. Many of our modern clothing has been treated to be fire resistant. I harvested dryer lint to use as tinder. I put a match to it to test it, nothing. Put a butane lighter to it, nothing. A few wisps of smoke, but it never ignited. Apparently, many of my clothes are fire resistant to comply with California title 19 (I *think* that's the right code). I'd suggest intentionally wearing non-flame resistant clothing when going out in the bush if you plan to use your threads for tinder. Sounds crazy to intentionally wear combustible clothing, but that's what you'll need if you want to use your pocket lint or lose threads as tinder.

Great point.  I'm thinking the cotton bandana I always carry would suffice as tinder.  I never actually thought about other clothing so thanks for your post. 
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Dunkeld

Reply #113 on: October 05, 2017, 07:42:44 AM
I have yet to experience conditions where my mini bic and tiger tim wafer firelighter combo have failed me. Extreme cold, extreme wind, extreme wet.

Been in lots of situations where, if I'd just had my ferro rod on me, it would have been insufficient or more time-consuming.

That being said, I carry (and use) both.

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #114 on: October 05, 2017, 09:50:43 AM
Incorporating Ferro rods as a backup to your lighter is not a bad Idea. Giving up another function however is a personal decision that should not be taken lightly.
I for one like the idea of the Firefly. Its is a cool concept that many will find usefull, but its not for me.

I have already incorporated 2 mini rods in my edc. The first is on my OH Trekker, notice the middle bead. The lanyard is long enough to reach the spine of the saw to use it without removal.
The second are those cheap fire starter buckles. I'm too cheep to replace my edc watches and a new band costs half as much as a new watch. So I have braided bands on both my Timex Expedition and Casio Forester (pic).
Those more than serve my needs in the event of a Bic or Zippo failure.
20171005_023746.jpg
* 20171005_023746.jpg (Filesize: 323.13 KB)
20171005_023846.jpg
* 20171005_023846.jpg (Filesize: 379.69 KB)
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #115 on: October 06, 2017, 11:50:27 AM
I have already incorporated 2 mini rods in my edc. The first is on my OH Trekker, notice the middle bead. The lanyard is long enough to reach the spine of the saw to use it without removal.

That is a very nice lanyard! It's the first time I see a firestarter bead in a setup I like! I'm going to make one of those too.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #116 on: October 06, 2017, 05:03:00 PM
Incorporating Ferro rods as a backup to your lighter is not a bad Idea. Giving up another function however is a personal decision that should not be taken lightly.
I for one like the idea of the Firefly. Its is a cool concept that many will find usefull, but its not for me.

The second are those cheap fire starter buckles. I'm too cheep to replace my edc watches and a new band costs half as much as a new watch. So I have braided bands on both my Timex Expedition and Casio Forester (pic).
Those more than serve my needs in the event of a Bic or Zippo failure.

Efficient way to carry ferro rods  :like:
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #117 on: October 06, 2017, 08:33:27 PM
Ive fit the smallest firesteel firesteel.com sells, into the back drawer of the Ti scales I make.  Its small, but does work fine.

This idea on the surface seems ok, but...

1.  This is too thin to not snap easily.  Much thinner than the thinnest rod Ive used, and have had that snap.  This would snap after a few uses.
2.  The toothpick is retained in the scale not by friction but by a little riser catch on the toothpick body.  As soon as that was used and no longer there how would the firesteel be retained?  It would just fall out. (this is the reason I dont want to make Ti toothpics, too fiddly)
3.  The video of it in use if very deceptive.  That is not what a firesteel looks like in use, nor creating fire.  Maybe he had lighter fluid on his tinder?

On a traditional SAK, Id just look to attached some type of firesteel to the keychain ring.  There are longs of small ones with various options.  Google keychain firesteel.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 08:34:48 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #118 on: October 06, 2017, 10:33:52 PM
1.  This is too thin to not snap easily.  Much thinner than the thinnest rod Ive used, and have had that snap.  This would snap after a few uses.
2.  The toothpick is retained in the scale not by friction but by a little riser catch on the toothpick body.  As soon as that was used and no longer there how would the firesteel be retained?  It would just fall out. (this is the reason I dont want to make Ti toothpics, too fiddly)
3.  The video of it in use if very deceptive.  That is not what a firesteel looks like in use, nor creating fire.  Maybe he had lighter fluid on his tinder?

I think you are asking the right questions. I think to prevent it from breaking you have to scrape the firesteel on the side, not the top or bottom.
That way the depth of the material is thicker. Nor will the catch be worn down as quickly.

I do like the concept though, I'll be waiting for the reviews. If it's good I will order a set.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #119 on: October 08, 2017, 12:21:57 AM
I've used a very small steel. 2 inches long and very thin. As you know, with each use, some of the bar is lost as you scrape it. My concern is a SAK toothpick sized steel will get whittled away in no time.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD